thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#121 » by thesack12 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:11 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
vege wrote:
Hilarius is taking things out of context.

Its completely out of context.

The situation then was quite different at that time.

1) At the time, Detroit hadn't traded away their 2nd rounders for the next 7 seasons, which is where they are now.
2) At the time, Bullock was fresh off being the 2nd best 3 point shooter in the entire league, and was making a mere $2.5 mil. In other words, he was valuable.

To try and tie in the reactions of the 2 trades together, is a short sighted exercise since no context was used.
What context is needed? If you say you're done with the team if X happens, then X happens.....be gone mf. No context necessary.

And Bullock at the time of that trade was not much different than Ellington a month or so ago. The only context needed is some y'all need to stop using recency bias when assigning value to the team's assets. The league knew who Bullock was then and knew who Ellington was a few weeks back. Further context such as who are the potential suitors for that asset and what would they reasonably have to offer would also make sense.

But naw, let's just assume Detroit got the short end of every deal. Just because, well you know, because....

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

First off many people are reactive in the moment, its a natural human emotion. Within the relevancy of this topic, what you are alluding to is no different than the scads of people who constantly say they are done with the team in game threads based on what they are seeing at the time.

Secondly, context absolutely needs to be considered if you are trying to compare people's thoughts on a transaction 3 years ago to one that is brand new. Especially, when the aim of your post was to attempt to call people out for hypocrisy for having 2 different opinions on 2 different transactions. The current landscape at the time of each move needs to be factored in to accurately compare. Otherwise, its a classic apples to oranges type evaluation.

If you consider the current Wayne Ellington situation similar to the Reggie Bullock situation in 2018, then I just flat out disagree entirely. For starters Bullock was 26 at the time he was traded and Ellington is currently 33 years old. Also, at the time Bullock had only been a rotation player for about 1.5 seasons, so to say the league knew who Bullock is pretty presumptuous. Secondly, Bullock sustained his shooting for an entire season, and as I mentioned was 2nd in the entire league that year at 44.5%, whereas Ellington got hot for for a 10-12 game span then crashed hard back to the mean. In addition, Ellington signed with Detroit for the league minimum which means all 29 other teams could of signed him for the same. While we'll never how many teams actually made him that offer, the smart money says its wasn't very many considering he chose to sign with a bottom dwelling team in the twilight of his career.

As far as recency bias and 2nd round picks go, until the league eliminates the 2nd round from the draft I will personally continue to hold strong on the belief that contrary to popular belief around here, they do actually have value. While admittedly, they aren't the hardest thing to acquire teams aren't just going to give them to Detroit out of charity. The Pistons will have to give up something of else of value to acquire them. Case in point the last 3 times Detroit acquired 2nd rounders on draft night, they gave Philly 2 future 2nds to draft Khyri Thomas, they gave Cleveland a 1st for multiple 2nds that they eventually pissed away, and they gave Utah raw cap space to draft Saben Lee.

My point is, Detroit isn't out there just using Gore's cash to get 2nd rounders, which would not require the sacrifice of baketball assets.
potatoaim
Senior
And1: 317

Post#122 » by potatoaim » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:17 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
But naw, let's just assume Detroit got the short end of every deal. Just because, well you know, because....

Or to be completely fair, it might have something to do with our losing Drummond, Blake, Rose, and Wood - all for basically nothing within the last year.

And suddenly, we are the 2nd worst team in the league.

98% of the board was begging for Drummond, Blake and Rose to just go away so that this franchise could finally tank the right way.

They are in line for a top pick in a generational draft. The exact thing basically everyone has been begging for for years....
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#123 » by Pharaoh » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:55 am

Losing Dre was addition by subtraction.

Losing Blake was about doing him (& his agent) a favour.

We got a 2nd and DSJ for Rose.

We gave away a protected first, Wood and our treadmill for Wright & Stewart.

Can't believe some still whine about the restore/rebuild we all wanted for years!

Might not be the exact way we envisioned it but no one can pretend Weaver hadn't detonated whatever had gone before!

Sekou - at 20 years of age, with 1 Covid effected season - is the longest tenured Piston!

Allow that to sink in for a minute

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#124 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:33 am

Piston Pete wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:

Or to be completely fair, it might have something to do with our losing Drummond, Blake, Rose, and Wood - all for basically nothing within the last year.

And suddenly, we are the 2nd worst team in the league.

Drummond was already gone by the time Weaver arrived. Forgetting that though, we were lucky to get even a second round pick for him given his net negativity. Cavs can't even get that for him now even though he is owed even less money than when we traded him, and they're probably going to have to buy him out.

Griffin was also the sin of GMs past. Weaver did well to recoup $13M back (the 7th highest give-back for a buyout in NBA history).

Rose requested a trade and our hands were tied to send him to a team he wanted to go to that were willing to give up anything of value. An expiring contract of a young player with some untapped potential and a mid second round pick was about the best we could have hoped for in that situation.

The only name there that stings a little is Wood. But you get the feeling the price to keep him in Detroit would have been steep (steep enough that we might've been locked out of going after Grant). And if we had managed to sign both we'd be treadmilling it right now as Pharaoh said. The S&T aspect made sense as it meant we had the opportunity to tighten the restrictions on the first round pick we were already sending as part of the Isaiah Stewart trade (remember this was agreed to before FA and the trade got expanded later).
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#125 » by TurboTitan » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:18 am

too many numbers guys in here man. The eye test will show you that Diallo is a solid young wing. Im not saying numbers and advanced stats arent important, but I think a lot of you havent really watched him. Im not saying hes a world beater but Im happy with the trade
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,934

Post#126 » by tmorgan » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:10 am

Well, at least some of us are happy. Pretty sure no one was happy before.
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#127 » by TurboTitan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:43 am

yall were saying?
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#128 » by MotownMadness » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:57 am

Kids legit
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#129 » by Pharaoh » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:06 am

But but but Weaver doesn't know jack and is terrible at his job!

whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Post#130 » by whitehops » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:05 am

so he's played three games for us, the last two he's gotten more minutes and a bigger role.

what are people's early impressions of him? do you want weaver to re-sign him and if so for what type of contract?

just based on the last two games i would want to keep him on the team, and i'm thinking something like 2 years/$14 million? possibly go up to $24 million if a team option is added for a third season.
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#131 » by SamFlow » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:42 am

whitehops wrote:so he's played three games for us, the last two he's gotten more minutes and a bigger role.

what are people's early impressions of him? do you want weaver to re-sign him and if so for what type of contract?

just based on the last two games i would want to keep him on the team, and i'm thinking something like 2 years/$14 million? possibly go up to $24 million if a team option is added for a third season.

seems to be a team player. Change of pace. Unconventional play compared to how people play today, so opposition doesn't really know what he's going to do.

I've only seen clips of his play. But I'm liking his contributions so far. 6th man type of player. Can fill in at multiple positions. Love his attack mode.
BigDaddyJungle
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#132 » by JohnReese » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:43 am

Svi killed it last night. We should have traded Jackson...
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#133 » by Pharaoh » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:26 am

And doesn't that just fit
JohnReese wrote:Svi killed it last night. We should have traded Jackson...

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#134 » by flow » Thu Apr 1, 2021 10:07 am

Sure did. 22 & 9. on 9-14 shooting, 4-8 from 3.

440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#135 » by 440BB » Thu Apr 1, 2021 10:20 am

Thanks to injuries Svi is getting plenty of minutes to get out of his shooting slump. He might just shoot himself into another NBA contract. This trade may be the best thing for both players.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#136 » by chrbal » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:12 pm

We should have traded them McGruder or Ellington, doesn’t mean it would have happened.
foolinc
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#137 » by foolinc » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:37 pm

I highly doubt Jackson and a 2nd was on the table for Diallo.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,202

Post#138 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:16 pm

440BB wrote:This trade may be the best thing for both players.

Seems to be that way. I think most thunder fans expected better shooting from the trade but didn’t expect Svi to be dunking like Diallo. I heard last night he had one dunk all year with the pistons. He’s been throwing down dunks every game. He’s much more athletic than I expected. Glad Diallo is doing well for you guys. If he can figure out his shot, he’ll be really good.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#139 » by flow » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:44 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
440BB wrote:This trade may be the best thing for both players.

Seems to be that way. I think most thunder fans expected better shooting from the trade but didn’t expect Svi to be dunking like Diallo. I heard last night he had one dunk all year with the pistons. He’s been throwing down dunks every game. He’s much more athletic than I expected. Glad Diallo is doing well for you guys. If he can figure out his shot, he’ll be really good.

Svi was undervalued & underutilized here. After breaking out last season, he earned a starting role on this club and should have been an everyday 20+ mpg player. But instead, Dwayne Van Gundy kept him on a yo yo non-stop. That affects your play, especially as a shooter, which some guys on here don't seem to grasp.

Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#140 » by Moses ShamMoses » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:48 pm

Svi doesn't have the length or athleticism to really be much more than be a high energy shooter. He gets blocked at the rim more than anybody i've ever seen.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'

Return to Detroit Pistons