ImageImageImage

Jaden McDaniels' Position

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Primarily, where would you play Jaden McDaniels?

SF
78%
PF
22%

Total votes: 36

moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Re: Jaden McDaniels' Position 

Post#21 » by moss_is_1 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:21 am

Just depends on the matchup. He's more of a wing than a big, yes. However, most teams now only will play 1 big a majority of the game. He's a great wing defender who has a pulse offensively, unlike Okogie. I don't want him to bulk up a ton and lose some of his great lateral quickness.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,297

Post#22 » by winforlose » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:39 am

McDaniels can play the PF, but his value is length and rebounding added at the SF. With a legit PF or C playing with Towns and MCD now the wolves have the size advantage. Playing big without needing to play slow is how we will win games.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#23 » by MN7725 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:44 am

Barnes
Keldon Johnson
Giannis
Morris
Thad
Crowder
R Cov
J Grant
Ariza
Sabonis
Kleber
Tatum
Tate
Brown
O'Neal
Kyle Anderson
Randle
Siakam
Roby

starting PFs on 3/31

Giannis, Sabonis, Randle, Siakam would be the only ones that I would think that could physically overmatch McDaniels, and Randle played well but didn't really overpower JMac

There are some others that are currently out like AD, but isn't not Barkley, Duncan, Malone out there anymore, its drive and kick, drive and kick across the board

Ideally though McDaniels would be the less physical of the forwards next to KAT, its more of an advantage to be able to upsize positions when you have a "C" as skilled as KAT

He's been really encouraging either way, might even make up for Culver looking so lost
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#24 » by karch34 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:15 am

ChiefKeith91 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Edwards is our SF of now and the future. If McDaniels is going to play it will have to be the PF position.

He’s only the SF in certain lineups but that is not his natural position for many reasons (1 being defensive matchups). Either Him or Beas starts and the other is 6th man

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I agree. I think ideal lineup is Ant at 2, Jaden at 3, PF not on our roster currently at 4 and Beas off the bench. Doesn't have to be how we close games but gives us better D 2-4 making up for Dlo and Beas short comings. Also helps bench scoring and allows us to keep an offensively limited but defensively competent player in the 8-10 rotation. Also gives KAT, Ant, Beas, and DLo enough shots IMO. Yeah if Jaden can put on muscle that changes things so maybe the PF we pick up is short term hedge in case he cant. That said I like a big SF with his skills out there for what it could do.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#25 » by Neeva » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:09 am

Why not both , he can be the wolves combo forward.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,480

Post#26 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:34 pm

ChiefKeith91 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:I am not going to argue if he is a PF or SF in NBA (ideally). But on this Wolves roster if he is not a PF, they have a ton of trading to do. Edwards is playing SF because Wolves roster is soooo messed up (balance).

Russell, Rubio, Beasley, Edwards, Nowell, Okogie are all ideal guards. No way do they find enough minutes for all of them and McDaniels at SF.

You’re absolutely right! To play Ant and McDaniels at their natural positions the wolves will have to move 2-3 players from the log jam. I suspect Rubio,Beasley and Culver/Okogie.

If Wolves keep their pick, I wonder what star forward could this package get:

Rubio (expiring) + Culver (salary filler really) + 2021 top 3 1st + Future 1st (as needed)

Simmons (maybe Beal to 76ers?)
Sabonis (or Turner if two bigs work)
Siakam (probably a overpay)
Bam (I don’t think Miami parts with him)
JJJ (ready to try a different duo with Morant?)
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#27 » by Baseline81 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:38 pm

Wolveswin wrote:If Wolves keep their pick, I wonder what star forward could this package get:

Rubio (expiring) + Culver (salary filler really) + 2021 top 3 1st + Future 1st (as needed)

Possibly Simmons, no to the rest. You are correct Miami wouldn't deal Adebayo.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:47 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:If Wolves keep their pick, I wonder what star forward could this package get:

Possibly Simmons, no to the rest. You are correct Miami wouldn't deal Adebayo.

I think Sabonis and Towns could be special.

Rubio + Edwards + Hernangomez + #3
FOR
Sabonis + LeVert + #10

Towns
Sabonis
McDaniels
Beasley or LeVert (other is 6th man or traded for defensive guard)
Russell

Plus still have #10, Culver, Nowell, Reid.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#29 » by Baseline81 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:58 pm

Wolveswin wrote:I think Sabonis and Towns could be special.

FOR
Sabonis + LeVert + #10

Towns
Sabonis
McDaniels
Russell

No... just no.

I thought you were all in on dealing Towns?
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#30 » by NebWolvesFan » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:04 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

FOR
Sabonis + LeVert + #10

Towns
Sabonis
McDaniels
Russell

No... just no.

The Wolves can't trade the pick. Cade and Mobley have a real chance at being generational players, and no Timberwolves GM wants to be the guy who traded Suggs.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#31 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:38 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
ChiefKeith91 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:I am not going to argue if he is a PF or SF in NBA (ideally). But on this Wolves roster if he is not a PF, they have a ton of trading to do. Edwards is playing SF because Wolves roster is soooo messed up (balance).

Russell, Rubio, Beasley, Edwards, Nowell, Okogie are all ideal guards. No way do they find enough minutes for all of them and McDaniels at SF.

You’re absolutely right! To play Ant and McDaniels at their natural positions the wolves will have to move 2-3 players from the log jam. I suspect Rubio,Beasley and Culver/Okogie.

I would be intrigued in Jackson. One interesting thing I found in a quick google search:

With Jaren, the question is not whether to start him or not, it is more about who fits well around him and how he does playing minutes at the 5. Last season JJJ played 55% of his minutes at the 5 (-1.0) and 45% of his minutes at the 4 (-5.1). This has a lot to do with being an odd fit next to Jonas and being a mismatch problem for opposing 5s.

The majority of the positive lineup combinations that included Jaren, had him at the 5 next to Brandon Clarke at the four. Jaren obviously will not be the 5 coming off the bench, so this plays into the hand of closing lineups. It should be Morant, Melton, Brooks/Winslow, Clarke/Anderson and Jaren closing most games due to the defensive versatility.

It seems like Jackson plays much better at the 5. Now maybe he's able to work a lot better with Towns. It seems like you'd probably play him at the 4 and then lineups with him as a 5 when KAT is out. This might make Naz more expendable as an asset. It seems like to me that some combination of a top 3 pick, Naz, Nowell, Culver, and Rubio for salary purposes could be decent value for the Grizzlies. Though, for example, if Mobley is the pick... why not just keep Jackson? They wouldn't take Suggs I don't think either. So to me it would have to be because 1) the Wolves get the #1 pick or 2) the Grizzlies really want Green.

I don't think the Wolves make the deal if it's Cunningham, so it really comes down to if Green/Naz/Nowell/Culver is enough for JJJ?

Or potentially I could see the Grizzlies being interested in something similar to Green/Beasley/Culver for JJJ, but is that too much for the Wolves to give up?
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#32 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:38 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

FOR
Sabonis + LeVert + #10

Towns
Sabonis
McDaniels
Russell

No... just no.

The Wolves can't trade the pick. Cade and Mobley have a real chance at being generational players, and no Timberwolves GM wants to be the guy who traded Suggs.

What is generational about Mobley?
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#33 » by Wolveswin » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:00 am

TheZachAttack wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:No... just no.

Do you know the odds any one of the top draft picks ever hit Sabonis level?

So let’s say they do...a team who wants to win now with Towns (before he becomes unhappy) what is the value in getting the sure thing now — and mitigating the risk of being Culver or any other longer odds player is a bust?
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#34 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:06 am

Wolveswin wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:

So let’s say they do...a team who wants to win now with Towns (before he becomes unhappy) what is the value in getting the sure thing now — and mitigating the risk of being Culver or any other longer odds player is a bust?

*Sigh*
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#35 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:24 am

Seens like SF is running away with it. Back on point about McDaniels. That leaves PF open, and possibly Edwards available...so I see why all the trade ideas.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#36 » by Wolveswin » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:40 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

*Sigh*

Wow your dialogue is captivating.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,825

Post#37 » by Klomp » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:09 am

Ultimately, he can play either. In a lot of ways, he is the epitome of a Rosas PF, in that he's not the slow, lumbering type.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Baseline81
Starter

Post#38 » by Baseline81 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:48 am

Jedzz wrote:Seens like SF is running away with it. Back on point about McDaniels. That leaves PF open, and possibly Edwards available...so I see why all the trade ideas.

We get it, Jedzz. You want to rid the team of Edwards.

Unfortunately, you'll be complaining about Beasley's role off the bench if McDaniels moves to SF next season. Edwards will start besides him.

I pause on McDaniels at PF because he doesn't rebound well enough at the moment. In March, he averaged 28.5 MPG and only 4.0 REB.
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#39 » by ChiefKeith91 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:32 am

Wolveswin wrote:
ChiefKeith91 wrote:

-I Like the Sabonis deal.

-Would've took the Simmons deal before ASB but now that I see Ant becoming more ball dominant I don't see Simmons being much help offensively with his lack of shooting. Even though I think he'll start shooting once he leaves Philly (Their brutal fan base makes him not want to shoot in fear of criticism).

-No to Siakam

-Miami def won't do that since unless they get Giannis somehow

-Loved him at MSU but im worried about his injury and how he'll bounce back.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#40 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:00 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Seens like SF is running away with it. Back on point about McDaniels. That leaves PF open, and possibly Edwards available...so I see why all the trade ideas.

We get it, Jedzz. You want to rid the team of Edwards.

Unfortunately, you'll be complaining about Beasley's role off the bench if McDaniels moves to SF next season. Edwards will start besides him.

I pause on McDaniels at PF because he doesn't rebound well enough at the moment. In March, he averaged 28.5 MPG and only 4.0 REB.

I get it, you go along. I'm not about to. I agree that I like him at SF better. On the rebounds, there is really no telling what he'll do in the future, at least for me. He's a rookie and it's been amazing his focus on blocks at the rim while also his man defense...good stuff. That might be the limit of what you can expect from a rookie season on the high end defensively. Who knows, next year he might be double digit rebounds as well, or maybe the blocks taper off and rebounds go much higher. On this team though, Towns also has an impact on defensive rebounds. Towns had 17 last game.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves