ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread 

Post#1841 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:08 am

thebirdman wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:I'm gonna be serious here, we really need to consider tanking. They are saying this is the best draft in 20 years. We're trash, we aren't good and we aren't competing at a high enough level. Let's just not make the playoffs and get a top 10 pick. This could be a huge asset to a trade or just drafting a high level big man(obviously when I say big I mean 6'8 tops, we don't draft dudes who are above 6'9).

Best we can finish I guess is about 10th. Unless Tatum goes down with an injury. East at the bottom is brutal everybody tanking hard...

Brown and Tatum. Let Smart and Kemba run the show. Easy losses.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#1842 » by winsomme2 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:48 am

I think every game is going to be a struggle considering how weak we are in the middle right now. And it's not a coincidence that every team is shooting lights out against us.

All teams have to do is drive and kick. Our defense has to collapse on the drivers which leaves wide open threes. It is happening EVERY game.

I think many are focusing on our perimeter defense for the open threes but its really our interior defense that's the problem.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#1843 » by Bohemian » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:51 am

This season captured in a single play. Fire Ainge and Brad already. This team is hopeless.

Read on Twitter
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,251

Post#1844 » by TheMartian » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:55 pm

At this point, is it too selfish to hope the team misses the playoffs and get a lottery pick on one of the best draft classes in the past 20 years? I just think it's the best thing that could probably happen for the Celtics given that the season is pretty much lost anyway.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,685

Post#1845 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:59 pm

Read on Twitter
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,797

Post#1846 » by pac213up » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:04 pm

When you dig into the passing stats there is really no difference between this year and last. If feels different for sure but I was surprised at the numbers. Passes per game 286 v 283, Secondary Assists 2.2 v 2.4 Ast Pts Created 58.4 v 58.6, ect. They were not an elite passing team last year and the results were clearly different. Offensively they have not dropped off. The biggest difference statistically is clearly on the defensive side of the ball.

With that said the offensive numbers are not great and should be improving with the growth of Tatum and Brown, as well as adding depth off the bench. The lack of defense this year is certainly exposing the teams offensive weakness. So either Stevens needs to figure out how to get them dialed in defensively or Tatum & Brown need to learn how to make the guys around them better. Realistically both need to happen if the team wants to compete for a title in the near future.
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,265

Post#1847 » by Tyakack » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:27 pm

TheMartian wrote:At this point, is it too selfish to hope the team misses the playoffs and get a lottery pick on one of the best draft classes in the past 20 years? I just think it's the best thing that could probably happen for the Celtics given that the season is pretty much lost anyway.

If anything, it would be selfish to hope this trash team makes the playoffs for your own personal enjoyment knowing damn well they aren't good enough to do anything that would make it worth it.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,942

Post#1848 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:36 pm

The ideal scenario is the Celts miss the playoffs and end up getting a lottery pick.

But I don't think that's realistic because the Celts can finish the season below .500 and still make the playoffs.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,841

Post#1849 » by BK_2020 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:44 pm

Fierce1 wrote:The ideal scenario is the Celts miss the playoffs and end up getting a lottery pick.

But I don't think that's realistic because the Celts can finish the season below .500 and still make the playoffs.

Gotta root for Chicago and Indiana to surge....
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#1850 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:45 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:The ideal scenario is the Celts miss the playoffs and end up getting a lottery pick.

Gotta root for Chicago and Indiana to surge....

True.

Celts would also have to lose a lot though.
luckycharms
Ballboy
And1: 26

Post#1851 » by luckycharms » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:06 pm

I'm actually embarrassed that Bill Russell is still around to witness this debacle. I wonder if he's on the verge of cancelling his League Pass and finding some less stressful hobbies.
jpjp
Ballboy
And1: 39

Post#1852 » by jpjp » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:40 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:I'm gonna be serious here, we really need to consider tanking. They are saying this is the best draft in 20 years. We're trash, we aren't good and we aren't competing at a high enough level. Let's just not make the playoffs and get a top 10 pick. This could be a huge asset to a trade or just drafting a high level big man(obviously when I say big I mean 6'8 tops, we don't draft dudes who are above 6'9).

I want jalen johnson
http://www.tankathon.com/
6-8 record
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Post#1853 » by Ben-N1ce » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:47 pm

I enjoy how none of the players can explain why they suck and Smart decided to blame the refs for why they suck on offense and defense. Pathetic. Brutal year.. But I watch cuz I'm a dummy.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1854 » by Ernest » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:05 pm

way to early to think about tanking. We are already too high to get to the bottom. If right at the end of the season we are not winning and can tank to get into the lotto or improve our odds- fine. But we have a new player who was getting 20 a game that has been here 5 minutes. TT is out and we are really short at center. We haven't been healthy with every one pretty much at all. We still have a shot. Get everyone back, have things gel. Get the 4ths seed and bee on a roll by the time the playoffs start.

Being seen as a good franchise around the league will be more helpful than a tiny shot at a top pick. Ainge has different draft boards than most anyways, so picking at 13 or 19 may get you they same player.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,537

Post#1855 » by bisme37 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:17 pm

The Celtics Rule!

April Fools :(
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#1856 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:51 pm

I think people think we are coming out slow and then turning on a switch to make games close when what is really happening is our opposition is just taking their foot off the gas. What was a contested three is now open by 5 yards. Running in transition becomes jogging. Passes become higher degree of difficulty and sloppy. Guys that normally don't get touches take it upon themselves to play outside the system and jack up awful shots. This is what allows us to get back into games. Then when it gets close, opposing teams button things up and put a stop to all of that and win the game. Our guys aren't coasting at the beginning, they're just not good when other teams are trying their best. Guys like Jaylen and Kemba will put up numbers while teams are coasting and it fools their apologists into thinking they played well. It's like Fournier. The guy played on a garbage team and put up numbers because opposing teams coasted and let him. How teams play us when they're up 20 is how teams play the Magic all game. They simply aren't taken seriously and they don't mind high usage guys like Fournier putting up empty stats because it's not affecting the wins/losses. I think it's embarrassing for Danny to suggest Fournier is in our future plans in any capacity.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#1857 » by Wes-J » Thu Apr 1, 2021 10:00 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:I think people think we are coming out slow and then turning on a switch to make games close when what is really happening is our opposition is just taking their foot off the gas. What was a contested three is now open by 5 yards. Running in transition becomes jogging. Passes become higher degree of difficulty and sloppy. Guys that normally don't get touches take it upon themselves to play outside the system and jack up awful shots. This is what allows us to get back into games. Then when it gets close, opposing teams button things up and put a stop to all of that and win the game. Our guys aren't coasting at the beginning, they're just not good when other teams are trying their best. Guys like Jaylen and Kemba will put up numbers while teams are coasting and it fools their apologists into thinking they played well. It's like Fournier. The guy played on a garbage team and put up numbers because opposing teams coasted and let him. How teams play us when they're up 20 is how teams play the Magic all game. They simply aren't taken seriously and they don't mind high usage guys like Fournier putting up empty stats because it's not affecting the wins/losses. I think it's embarrassing for Danny to suggest Fournier is in our future plans in any capacity.

This is team effort of suckage, don't forget Tatum (1-9?) and his dribbling around jacking up fadeaway shots selfish play. He's light years away from Luka in terms of making his teammates better. For all your bashing on secondary option Jaylen you just don't want to acknowledge Tatum just hasn't gotten that much better this year if at all and considering his status as to the team's cornerstone franchise player he should take the most heat if the team ain't getting it done.

Yeah bro distribute that suckage equally amongst the top players and coaches, this ****bag won't be carried alone by Jaylen or Kemba.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,574

Post#1859 » by RB34 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:47 am

Our offensive system definitely has something to do with the team being disengaged, nobody wants to watch someone else dribble the ball for 20 seconds and then throw up a brick.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#1860 » by Fierce1 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:55 am

RB34 wrote:Our offensive system definitely has something to do with the team being disengaged, nobody wants to watch someone else dribble the ball for 20 seconds and then throw up a brick.

This all started when Kemba became a Celtic.

Even with Kyrie in 2019, the Celts were top 5 in assists per game that season.

When Kemba became a Celtic, the Celts became one of the worst teams in assists per game.
Last season Celts were just 25th in assists per game.
This season Celts are just 24th.

Danny Ainge chose the wrong PG for this team.

Return to Boston Celtics