ImageImageImage

Around the League: Offseason

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Re: Around the League: Trade deadline and beyond! 

Post#61 » by DCasey91 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:19 pm

Hey a few us here were high on ball before he get the true attention he deserves

Some wanted Markannen and Lavine beforehand last fricken year

SGA before the draft

I wanted Beasley but he’s a head case lol but the logic was there

Whelp looks like the NAW train has come and past too. 17.6 46% and 40% from 3 in his last five

Tie it in together you like a yougin and believe that they are undervalued get them regardless. Mad Value to have young talent basically at all times especially if they are NBA quality and on a cheap contract

I reckon we have better eye of talent/trade evaluation then our head department lmao

Now only one left that have my eye on currently is Simons.

Kevin Porter JR was a head case but was A tier talent in the draft no question.

Overall don’t let MPJ’s of the world go at pick 14

I know it’s your rookie year double O but your one of my favs in last years draft class. Denis is seriously mismanaged as well, small passages of play but he did look like the best player out there for the Wizards in terms of class aspect.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#62 » by youngcrev » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:23 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
You don't think the Lakers are going to the NBA finals ?

I don't. I expect them to fall rapidly in the standings until Lebron and AD come back.

They will have a tough path to the finals.

Ok that is very possible. But a byproduct of the Lakers falling far in the standings is that LBJ really is the MVP ! :lol:

I think the real unfortunate part of that fall will be that Denver climbs a bit, improving the Jokic MVP argument.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#63 » by Eyeamok » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:27 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
I don't. I expect them to fall rapidly in the standings until Lebron and AD come back.

They will have a tough path to the finals.

Ok that is very possible. But a byproduct of the Lakers falling far in the standings is that LBJ really is the MVP ! :lol:

I think the real unfortunate part of that fall will be that Denver climbs a bit, improving the Jokic MVP argument.

Jokic has been able to stay healthy and he plays. I have no problem with him getting more MVP attention That is just how the ball bounces sometimes.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#64 » by Sixerscan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:10 pm

76ciology wrote:
blargh wrote:
76ciology wrote:Seth Curry is not playable deep in the playoffs. We should have traded Jrich for Kevin Porter Jr

Curry has been barely playable in the regular season, but I give Morey a pass on the trade. I think Covid has really taken it out of Curry. He looked really solid at the start of the year, and now is just a completely different player. It’s not even that he’s missing shots: it’s like he doesn’t even have the elevation and energy to get shots up.

He’s never had the elevation to get his shots up against longer defenders. And he’ll never be able to not be a liable once stars hunts him down the stretch. We can rotate and do zone to counter but he still weakens the entire link of defense while not being that good of a scorer like say Isaiah Thomas to compensate for it.

He’s not a bad player. He’s just not playable on most end game situations against good teams in the playoffs. And this is where Hill comes into the picture.

But my point is, we probably could have just get ourselves a placeholder shooter (wayne ellington?) then trade Jrich for someone like KPJ in the middle of the season.

Porter got traded to one of the worst teams in the league for a 2024 2nd round pick...

No good teams wanted to trade for Porter for reasons that should seem obvious. Let alone trade a starter for him.

Curry for Richardson was a good trade for the Sixers for a variety of reasons I’m not sure why you’re judging it against this random unrealistic trade.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,800

Post#65 » by Negrodamus » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:07 pm

Looks like Westbrook found a new friend. Might be the situation he needed to finally take off.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#66 » by DCasey91 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:19 pm

Youngins that are undervalued/underutilized:

East:
Onyeka Okongwu
Goga Bitadze
Deni Avdija
Mo Bamba

West:
Nickiel Alexander-Walker
De’Anthony Melton
Brandon Clarke
Afernee Simons
Terence Davis
Jaylen Nowell
Josh Hart

All of them interests me. We need more variety in the list with younger talent. We are way too wing heavy.

Thybulle I like the most obv outside of that it’s kind of up in the air.

Goga would be a perfect backup imo. Highly touted too can play starter minutes when Embiid sits and peeps would like him. He has the euro sound fundamentals behind him. True big man size too

Get em before they get a change of scenery and get good!

Some on that list maybe ready to breakout next year in the right circumstances.

Jaylen Nowell is very intriguing to me.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#67 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:16 am

If you guys dont think of KPJ highly, then we might as well just traded Jrich for someone pick swap, future first or a project.

Maybe we could even just hold unto Jrich and waited the trade deadline and trade him for Aaron Gordon. Jrich should be a more valuable asset than Gary Harris who’s about to be paid 20M next season and is already washed up.

If we want a shooter to compliment Biid, then go get someone like Wayne Ellington.

Curry just seems like a advanced stats fantasy because he’s good during the non crucial moments and against bad teams and is really selective with his shots that pads up his points per shot, but he isnt a good chess piece (sometimes not even playable) on crucial moments down the stretch against good teams which is our team’s main problem.

Dont get me wrong.

The moves we did during the offseason made us a very good team. It’s not as talented as our team last offseason, but the fit is way much better.

But we sacrificed present talent (jrich+Al > Seth+green) and a 2025 pick that might had already costed us the Harden deal and possible Harden deal opportunities in the future.

For what? Cap flexibility? To sign a Bjelica type player?

You see guys like Drummond or LMA signing for almost peanuts.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#68 » by blargh » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:04 am

The Curry we saw in the first two months was someone whose spacing gravity was so high that it really opened up Embiid’s ability to pass out of the double team. That’s the difference between shooting 44% from 3 and 38% from 3. And then if they did soft double team, he was a good enough facilitator to make a play on the perimeter: swing it around, or make a quick dribble play. We played really different in the start of the season: less dependent on Embiid midrange face-up hero ball.

Now, what we don’t know is if that Curry at the start of the season was a mirage, or whether that’s the real non-Covid Curry we can expect to get back. It’ll be up to Morey to figure that out.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#69 » by DCasey91 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:45 am

Curry’s always had consistency issues. And doesn’t have the huge gravity behind to take set shots in Lillard/Doncic.

I never saw him as a starter on a playoffs team. 6th man I can get behind though.

I’d like to pick up one/two youngins that will improve by just more playing time. 3rd stringers who have the capability to be more than adequate backups because the people in front of them they can’t get a good look in.

Lillard/McCollum/Trent/Simons
Sabonis/Turner/Goga

Believe both are better than third stringers for sure. Both have talent too.
Naw has flown the coop just like Ball
Nowell

Don’t wait

(I’m not high on Milton long term he has a tendency to be lethargic, Maxey is a wait and see. Scott/Korkmaz was a wash anyway).

Just think one or two little moves should have been done imo for future potential. If we hit a starter level player on a small contract from a smaller deal it holds us in very good stead.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#70 » by blargh » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:22 pm

Maxey falls into the category you’re describing, and a contending level team isn’t really going to be float more than one of those guys at the same position on their active roster. Maybe Mason Jones becomes another guy like this.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#71 » by Sixerscan » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:26 am

76ciology wrote:If you guys dont think of KPJ highly, then we might as well just traded Jrich for someone pick swap, future first or a project.

Maybe we could even just hold unto Jrich and waited the trade deadline and trade him for Aaron Gordon. Jrich should be a more valuable asset than Gary Harris who’s about to be paid 20M next season and is already washed up.

If we want a shooter to compliment Biid, then go get someone like Wayne Ellington.

Curry just seems like a advanced stats fantasy because he’s good during the non crucial moments and against bad teams and is really selective with his shots that pads up his points per shot, but he isnt a good chess piece (sometimes not even playable) on crucial moments down the stretch against good teams which is our team’s main problem.

Dont get me wrong.

The moves we did during the offseason made us a very good team. It’s not as talented as our team last offseason, but the fit is way much better.

But we sacrificed present talent (jrich+Al > Seth+green) and a 2025 pick that might had already costed us the Harden deal and possible Harden deal opportunities in the future.

It has nothing to do with thinking highly or lowly of random players, and more that the NBA isn't walmart or something where you can just go get whatever player or draft pick you want. Curry for Richardson was the trade that was available not whatever trade you want to make up because you want to make some contrarian argument.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#72 » by Eyeamok » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:10 pm

I hope the 76ers can regain the lead of the East. I'd love for this team to have to play Boston, Miami and the Nets to make it to the finals. Yes it not an easy road but it would be so satisfying.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#73 » by sixerguy » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:29 pm

76ciology wrote:If you guys dont think of KPJ highly, then we might as well just traded Jrich for someone pick swap, future first or a project.

Dont get me wrong.

I get it, you're mad at how the buyout market played out. It makes no sense Team A trades many assets for Player B, yet Team C gets the same quality of player as Player B but got him basically for free. So Team A basically gave assets away for nothing.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#74 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:03 pm

sixerguy wrote:

Dont get me wrong.

I get it, you're mad at how the buyout market played out. It makes no sense Team A trades many assets for Player B, yet Team C gets the same quality of player as Player B but got him basically for free. So Team A basically gave assets away for nothing.

Partly that reason.

But Ive always known the nature of the cap space. Some teams can get player B for peanuts but for them to play with us, we have to overpay them. Think of Al Horford getting paid and Drummond signing for peanuts with the Lakers.

And the bigger reason is because we gave up a lot and get too little with the Al trade. We gave up our most valuable first round pick and while having a net loss in talent from Al to Green. While getting what? Cap flexibility? Cap flexibility to sign who? It’s not like we got George Hill because of our cap flexibility.

I get the bad fit stuff. But that can be solved by right coaching. Just bench Al like how we did during the bubble. At worst, just ask him to take a year off like what he’s doing for OKC.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#75 » by sixerguy » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:28 pm

76ciology wrote:
sixerguy wrote:

Dont get me wrong.

Partly that reason.

But Ive always known the nature of the cap space. Some teams can get player B for peanuts but for them to play with us, we have to overpay them. Think of Al Horford getting paid and Drummond signing for peanuts with the Lakers.

And the bigger reason is because we gave up a lot and get too little with the Al trade. We gave up our most valuable first round pick and while having a net loss in talent from Al to Green. While getting what? Cap flexibility? Cap flexibility to sign who? It’s not like we got George Hill because of our cap flexibility.

I get the bad fit stuff. But that can be solved by right coaching. Just bench Al like how we did during the bubble. At worst, just ask him to take a year off like what he’s doing for OKC.

I hear ya. And yea i don't think "cap flexibility" was the correct term, rather should say "cap savings." And then the "talent vs fit" argument for Horford/Green - reports didn't really focus much on the 2025 pick, but instead Green being the better "fit" or "addition by subtraction" of Horford. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out in the end.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#76 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:29 am

Fournier dropped 23 and he’s a guy who can play that role JJ did for us.

Should have traded for him.

Atleast we can make something good out of the cap flexibility.
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 646

Post#77 » by HardenToSixers » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:00 pm

Dont get me wrong.

I don’t really get putting down the moves this past offseason.

We had a negative value contract we absolutely had to move in Horford. It would’ve been a distracting toxic environment all year that really would’ve made our star player angry. We got Danny Green in exchange who has been great for us. We gave up a first, sure, but that move was not going to happen for free. And no team other than OKC was going to value a pick 4 years off that highly regardless of it making sense given a potential decline from us (which won’t happen then btw).

Jrich for Seth Curry was fine. Clearly a better fit and gave us an asset beyond this year. Sure, Curry could be played off the court in the playoffs but the cost was minimal and he helped the spacing around our stars and got us back on track.

Competing this year and making our stars happy had value and it was important. We did it at minimal cost despite it being understandable that it’s frustrating. You should blame your boys Elton and BC for making negative moves like signing Horford and for burning our assets so our 2025 first seems like a backbreaking asset to give up. Not Morey.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#78 » by youngcrev » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:46 pm

76ciology wrote:Fournier dropped 23 and he’s a guy who can play that role JJ did for us.

Should have traded for him.

Atleast we can make something good out of the cap flexibility.

I wanted Fournier, but that likely would have required a 1st on our part to beat the Celtics offer.

He also went 0-10 in his debut with the C's, and scored 6 points in his 2nd game, so...

I'm not sure he'd be that much more helpful to us than Hill will be in a playoff series.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#79 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:17 pm

HardenToSixers wrote:

Dont get me wrong.

I don’t really get putting down the moves this past offseason.

We had a negative value contract we absolutely had to move in Horford. It would’ve been a distracting toxic environment all year that really would’ve made our star player angry. We got Danny Green in exchange who has been great for us. We gave up a first, sure, but that move was not going to happen for free. And no team other than OKC was going to value a pick 4 years off that highly regardless of it making sense given a potential decline from us (which won’t happen then btw).

Jrich for Seth Curry was fine. Clearly a better fit and gave us an asset beyond this year. Sure, Curry could be played off the court in the playoffs but the cost was minimal and he helped the spacing around our stars and got us back on track.

Competing this year and making our stars happy had value and it was important. We did it at minimal cost despite it being understandable that it’s frustrating. You should blame your boys Elton and BC for making negative moves like signing Horford and for burning our assets so our 2025 first seems like a backbreaking asset to give up. Not Morey.

We can argue back and forth about Al. But what’s done is done with the Al trade.

With Al, we’re a playoff team not a championship team. Without Al, we’re also a playoff team and not a championship team.

Like I said, you can bench Al. And if you look at the advanced stats, Al was good with any of our 5 man unit. We’re a lot better even without Biid, last year than without Biid this year. Al allows us to be a good team whenever our fragile superstar takes his load management.

And it’s not impossible to bench Al. We did that during the bubble when we started Milton and let Al play off the bench.

That said, the Al horford trade was unnecessary and it costed us talent and our most valuable first round pick just to get rid of him.

“But we got cap flexibility”

Do we need cap flexibility? You see guys like Drummond signing for peanuts. That cap flexibility is just going to get you someone like Bjelica. Not as talented as Al but cheaper. For who’s benefit? The team? Maybe for the owner.

Today, you won’t see the consequence. Because we always do well in the regular season (we’re the favorites to make it to the finals last season from the offseason till near the end of the season).

But in the offseason, when we’re out in the playoffs and have to retool in the offseason it’s gonna hurt us.

Or maybe it already did..

when Rox was asking for an extra first rounder for Harden and we werent able to get them that. So Morey tried to call the Kings to get another first but failed.

Maybe I think highly of Morey and do expect more from him and maybe you’re just satisfied with a 1st to 2nd round exit team with good locker room chemistry.

We all have different standards so i respect that and i hope you also respect mine.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#80 » by DCasey91 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:40 pm

The only way I can see structuring this team is doing a Howard/Stan & Hakeem 94-95 rendition.

Give Embiid as much space as possible surrounded by 4 36%+ 3 point shooters (two ball handlers a scoring creator).

Hill
Green
McCollum/Beal
Harris
Embiid

Opens up so much for Embiid surrounded by 4 outside shooting/2x creating threats.

Opens ups Harris’s game too

Can run two man, PNR, Lob etc.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers