ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,192

Re: 2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1 

Post#1921 » by gerrit4 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:37 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:My what will soon be very unpopular take on a Lowry S&T;

Why?

To make this work you need to burn essentially any cap space we may have in order to take on salary for next season from the team that wants him all for the privilege of a FRP years away or a prospect of varying quality.

The time to have done him a favour was the trade deadline, he gets to go and win somewhere, we are free of all non-prospect salary commitments by July 1st as all the rumoured names are now expired, new team gets his bird rights and can pay him whatever the heck he wants and off you go. For whatever reason, we didnt do that.

Blowing off the rest of this season to do a favour for the GROAT is fine;
But I am not overly motivated to S&T Lowry at the expense of any cap flexibility this summer and to watch the corpses of expiring contracts sit at the end of the bench or taking playing time away from guys who need playing time.

I wouldn't swap even a 1% chance at securing a guy like Richaun Holmes just so that we can "good guys" and accommodate Lowry this summer;

If he wants to stay and its something the management team wants to do... fine but to take on some of the expiring junk and a middling asset we would likely need to take on just so he can get paid what he wants by another team is a non-starter for me.

Losing him for nothing will suck, but its where we are.

/Activate Flame Shield.

Well, personally I think that makes a lot of sense. It's one thing to punt on a lost season like this one, but assuming we're back in TO next year I doubt they'd make any sort of move that would get in the way of competing next season. So yeah, S&T Kyle for a couple scrubs and a pick is not going to happen. If, for example, there's an opportunity to get a young player who can help us now (let's just say Tyler Herro for fun, but that ship has clearly sailed), then I think it would totally consider it.

But realistically, I don't see it happening. The Oladipo to Miami trade had the benefit of appeasing the fans/stars of Miami that they're improving the team, while still keeping the cap room open for Kyle in the summer.

My guess is that Kyle plays out this season, continues to be a great vet leader, while taking games off when he's sore and probably drawing a few less charges - and then heads of to Miami in the summer (unless Vic is great there). My guess is that it's not a super flashy summer for us, but we do fill in the gaps and bring back a more complete roster next year, along with a re-signed GTJ, and our lotto pick.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,441

Post#1922 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:37 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Fair point but the cap space won't really do us much good this off season. I'd rather us walk away with some kind of 1st even if it has the same maturity date as a federal government bond lol.

I get where you are coming from entirely.
My 0.02 on the FRP;

Unless management is planning on making wholesale changes this off-season its looking like we are moving forward with Siakam, FVV, and OG (maybe Trent as well?) as the group we want to roll with next season back in Toronto (hopefully);

I would rather overpay and roll the dice on a guy like Holmes (or if the Knicks decline Robinsons player option to make him an RFA) for a figure higher than the MLE, so I can see what this group looks like playing with a competent center rather than hoping to fill that spot with a reach in the draft of dredging the dregs of free agency ending up with the Zellars or Plumlees of the world.

I am sure I am in the minority but I would rather spend more than I need to add a player to make this roster appear more complete than a potential FRP years down the line.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#1923 » by pr0gr4m » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:42 pm

RapsAndJays21 wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:We add Suggs and Holmes are we contenders next season?

Contenders to make the playoffs? Of course. Contenders to beat any of the current Top 4 in the east? probably not.

We cover our biggest holes and replace Lowry best we can

Ecf team. Imo
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,554

Post#1924 » by Jadoogar » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:32 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:I wonder if we can make a savvy sign and trade like the Suns did with Steve Nash back in the day with Kyle Lowry and get a far away pick with potential. Teams that have no space to sign him outright and are title thirsty might be willing to pony up.

Clippers: Yeah seeing Kawhi Kyle and Ibaka together in LA would make me sad too, but we could squeeze them.

Clippers:

Zubac
Patrick Beverly
2028 1st top 5 protected (you can trade 1sts 7 years out I believe)

for

Kyle Lowry sign and trade

Lakers:

Kyle Lowry sign and trade (25 mill per)

for

KCP
Kyle Kuzma
2027 1st unprotected

MIami:

If Miami wants to keep Oladipo and get Lowry...

To Miami

for

Dragic
Iggy
Achiuwa

Philadelphia:

Kyle Lowry (sign and trade)

for

George Hill
Seth Curry
2025 1st

Point is... there are ways he doesn't have to walk away for nothing.

I highly doubt anyone gives up an unprotected (or lightly protected) first for Lowry. Especially that far out. S&T are normally for low value picks or low upside players. The trading team doesn't have much incentive unless they are over the cap since they can sign the player outright.
Carter_Kobe
Sophomore
And1: 175

Post#1925 » by Carter_Kobe » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:38 pm

douggood wrote:
Carter_Kobe wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:Not gonna happen. Meyers basically ended his NBA career. Another team might even give him a chance but it definitely won’t be the Raptors

I thought a public apology and some disciplinary action would get him back in the the league. He's serviceable at least. Can hit the 3. Better than what we have. But you are right. Raptors would never touch him

he also has a shoulder injury and out for season anyways.

Oh. I didn't realize that
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,320

Post#1926 » by douggood » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:40 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:I wonder if we can make a savvy sign and trade like the Suns did with Steve Nash back in the day with Kyle Lowry and get a far away pick with potential. Teams that have no space to sign him outright and are title thirsty might be willing to pony up.

Clippers: Yeah seeing Kawhi Kyle and Ibaka together in LA would make me sad too, but we could squeeze them.

Clippers:

Zubac
Patrick Beverly

for

Lakers:

for

KCP
Kyle Kuzma
2027 1st unprotected

MIami:

To Miami

for

Dragic
Iggy
Achiuwa

Philadelphia:

for

George Hill
Seth Curry
2025 1st

I highly doubt anyone gives up an unprotected (or lightly protected) first for Lowry. Especially that far out. S&T are normally for low value picks or low upside players. The trading team doesn't have much incentive unless they are over the cap since they can sign the player outright.

in all these scenarios teams are over the cap and cant sign him outright, and that includes miami if they want to keep olidipo and still get kyle.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,858

Post#1927 » by Kingsway_fan » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:54 pm

Ww will get nothing for Lowry.. he priced himself out of the market with his salary demands.

Best is to let him walk at end of season...
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,545

Post#1928 » by Psubs » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:43 pm

Jadoogar wrote:

Clippers:

Zubac
Patrick Beverly

for

Lakers:

for

KCP
Kyle Kuzma
2027 1st unprotected

MIami:

To Miami

for

Dragic
Iggy
Achiuwa

Philadelphia:

for

George Hill
Seth Curry
2025 1st

I want Seth Curry and Paul Reed from Philly. George Hill is too old. I would flip him to New Orleans for Steven Adams and Cash!

PG FVV - Seth - Flynn
SG Trent - Seth - Harris
SF OG - 1st pick - Watson
PF Siakam - Boucher - 2nd pick
C Adams - Boucher - Reed
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Post#1929 » by deeps6x » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:39 pm

Mykhailiuk looked pretty good against us last night. Maybe Masai could target him to replace Stanley Johnson.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,964

Post#1930 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:22 am

Thought experiment: If Kawhi decided he wanted to come back to the Raptors this summer (especially after we get a stud in the draft), how could Masai put together a championship-level team? Kawhi's max starts at around $39 mill. We'd have to trade one of the three core guys. It works most easily as a sign and trade with the Clippers with Siakam going the other way.

That should leave enough cap space to sign Richaun Holmes, and then Trent. But we couldn't re-sign Lowry, who Kawhi may demand remain on the team. We could just trade Fred into cap space in return for draft picks. But that's quite a sacrifice. Losing Pascal means we're already down a playmaker. Ideally, Kyle would accept the MLE to stay with the Raps and come off the bench, but that doesn't appear to be what he's looking for.

Anyway, just pleasant thoughts as I witness the Nuggets destroying the Clips.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,474

Post#1931 » by Spida888 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:11 am

We have a much higher chance of winning the draft lottery than Kawhi coming back lol. Obviously I would love to be proven wrong.
Adopt_Me_Masai
Sophomore
And1: 306

Post#1932 » by Adopt_Me_Masai » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:28 am

pr0gr4m wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Like I said in the other thread don't need to trade Flynn for Collins. Let's hope that Powell does so well that they want to keep him. Then they'll probably renounce Zach Collins.

Draft day trade the worst 2nd pick and Aron Baynes (team option to be declined) for Collins RFA rights. Use the better 2nd rounder to draft Queta!

C Collins/Boucher - Queta
PF Siakam - OG/Boucher

They paid GTJ for Powell they will definitely pony up and re-sign him in the off-season. That will make Collins unaffordable and he is an injury risk for them.

Zach Collins will be a great buy low option. It takes care of the back up center issue we have but we have so many other problems we need to patch up I might even overlook him. The FA class is a pretty big crap shoot though, so I wouldn't mind the risk.

I doubt Portland lets him go for that cheap but it'd be worth checking out.

I'm starting to think that either Barnes/Wagner start to drop in the draft. I would be all over that 10/18 pick swap and grabbing one of those guys and Giddey. Barnes looks like OG with handles and Giddey looks like LaMelo and is posting similar stats on a winning team.

The remaining money I would throw at Richaun Holmes. We need to repair that center position and although he doesn't shoot that well and could clog the paint for Siakam it's a risk we might have to take.

Holmes/Collins
Siakam/Boucher
OG/Barnes
Trent/Flynn
Fred/Giddey

Eventuall you hope that Barnes and Giddey are high level roleplayers.

Siakam
OG
Barnes
Fred
Giddey

That would be a great closing line up with multiple guys who can create plays for others. Barnes and Giddey in the pick and roll. With Barnes being a great drop off passer to seeing how the pick and roll develops and the defense drops with OG and Fred on the 3, and Siakam in the short corner. That would be an impossible offense to stop, especially if these two turn into the shooters they are expected to become.

I think Daniel Theis is a a better fit at C. If we want Siakam doing what he does best, attacking in the paint, then for floor spacing we need to pair him with a stretch 5 plus one who can defend. Theis' D and 3-pt shooting meet that and I don't think he'll be super cheap, but cheap enough. We can offer more than most teams who could only throw the full-MLE at him and I don't think that gets it done for Theis.
vanhill
Senior
And1: 242

Post#1933 » by vanhill » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:46 pm

The raptors needs a big man who can rebound and protect the pain.
This 7 footer from turkey seems like a very low risk pick and can bring us what we need immediately.

He is quick ,strong and able to shoot in the paint and behind the arc. Can rebound and block shot as well.
Sign him a 10day contract since we are tired of baynes playing the center.

https://youtu.be/nvkApQAz6CI

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Omer-Yurtseven/GameLogs/53794/D-League
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#1934 » by pr0gr4m » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:08 pm

Adopt_Me_Masai wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Like I said in the other thread don't need to trade Flynn for Collins. Let's hope that Powell does so well that they want to keep him. Then they'll probably renounce Zach Collins.

Draft day trade the worst 2nd pick and Aron Baynes (team option to be declined) for Collins RFA rights. Use the better 2nd rounder to draft Queta!

C Collins/Boucher - Queta
PF Siakam - OG/Boucher

They paid GTJ for Powell they will definitely pony up and re-sign him in the off-season. That will make Collins unaffordable and he is an injury risk for them.

Zach Collins will be a great buy low option. It takes care of the back up center issue we have but we have so many other problems we need to patch up I might even overlook him. The FA class is a pretty big crap shoot though, so I wouldn't mind the risk.

I doubt Portland lets him go for that cheap but it'd be worth checking out.

I'm starting to think that either Barnes/Wagner start to drop in the draft. I would be all over that 10/18 pick swap and grabbing one of those guys and Giddey. Barnes looks like OG with handles and Giddey looks like LaMelo and is posting similar stats on a winning team.

The remaining money I would throw at Richaun Holmes. We need to repair that center position and although he doesn't shoot that well and could clog the paint for Siakam it's a risk we might have to take.

Holmes/Collins
Siakam/Boucher
OG/Barnes
Trent/Flynn
Fred/Giddey

Eventuall you hope that Barnes and Giddey are high level roleplayers.

Siakam
OG
Barnes
Fred
Giddey

That would be a great closing line up with multiple guys who can create plays for others. Barnes and Giddey in the pick and roll. With Barnes being a great drop off passer to seeing how the pick and roll develops and the defense drops with OG and Fred on the 3, and Siakam in the short corner. That would be an impossible offense to stop, especially if these two turn into the shooters they are expected to become.

I think Daniel Theis is a a better fit at C. If we want Siakam doing what he does best, attacking in the paint, then for floor spacing we need to pair him with a stretch 5 plus one who can defend. Theis' D and 3-pt shooting meet that and I don't think he'll be super cheap, but cheap enough. We can offer more than most teams who could only throw the full-MLE at him and I don't think that gets it done for Theis.

Thesis would be a decent cheap option but he is small and not the best floor spacing shooter.

If we trade down for 10/18 we could bring in Kai Jones and Ayo. That would cover a lot of our holes and we could just go after the best attainable talent.

Holmes/Jones
Siakam
OG/GTJ
Ayo/GTJ
Fred/Flynn

Realistically we will end up with a 7/8th pick considering our schedule and team. If we get that I would look to OKC and take advantage of their over stock of picks. They need to liquify them now before the market is too saturated and they can't sell high. The draft is stacked I wouldn't even mind starting Ayo and Jones going into next season. OG, Siakam, and Fred have been around for a while and they can steadily bring them in and get them to produce.
original fan
Sophomore
And1: 79

Post#1935 » by original fan » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:34 pm

simple trade idea..3 team offseason trade. send Lowry out receive Al Horford and 2 frps(1 for Lowry s&t and one for taking Horfords contract)then OKC re routs Lowry to team X.Reasoning is Horford is an extremely smart player who will fit in a position of need admirably, though overpaid for 2 years, giving us solid play out of that position while grooming the future C that we draft with one of our picks.Resign Trent to a reasonable contract extension, have 3 picks in a very deep draft(hopefully one of them top 5,and Massai can draft a stud)Then sign someone with Mle to be a good contributor of the bench in a position of need(determined after draft)This team becomes a lower bracket playoff team instantly, with tons of upside in picks and young players.It will be fun to watch from fan prospective, and give us something to hope for the future.As for now lets not kid ourselves, we are not coming out of the east no matter what we do, with top heavy teams and especially Brooklyn .Key is to be realistic and not over inflate our guys values in trades or think that some great free agents are dying to come here.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,545

Post#1936 » by Psubs » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:57 pm

original fan wrote:simple trade idea..3 team offseason trade. send Lowry out receive Al Horford and 2 frps(1 for Lowry s&t and one for taking Horfords contract)then OKC re routs Lowry to team X.Reasoning is Horford is an extremely smart player who will fit in a position of need admirably, though overpaid for 2 years, giving us solid play out of that position while grooming the future C that we draft with one of our picks.Resign Trent to a reasonable contract extension, have 3 picks in a very deep draft(hopefully one of them top 5,and Massai can draft a stud)Then sign someone with Mle to be a good contributor of the bench in a position of need(determined after draft)This team becomes a lower bracket playoff team instantly, with tons of upside in picks and young players.It will be fun to watch from fan prospective, and give us something to hope for the future.As for now lets not kid ourselves, we are not coming out of the east no matter what we do, with top heavy teams and especially Brooklyn .Key is to be realistic and not over inflate our guys values in trades or think that some great free agents are dying to come here.

Would rather have Steven Adams at $17 million for 2 years or Deandre Jordan at $9 million for 2 more years. Easier to also flip when they are expiring.
elmer_yuck
Veteran
And1: 559

Post#1937 » by elmer_yuck » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:01 pm

Why are we so worried about getting a 3-point shooting center?
I realize Nick Nurse doesn’t want a low post center, and he wants every shot to be a 3, but how has that worked out for the Raptors so far this season?
Utah takes a ton of 3’s, but they also have a guy named Rudy Gobert to inhale rebounds.
This stupid idea that rebounding doesn’t matter has been disproven this season.
Get a big who can rebound and block shots.
If the personality and character issues were not a factor, or could be overcome, and the cost wasn’t too high, I would jump at the chance to get Drummond or Whiteside. Why did they sign Donta Hall to a 10 day contract, and not play him for even one minute?
What about this Freddie Gillespie I’ve been reading about?
I think part of the problem is Nick Nurse. He’s had so much success early in his career, and has become stubbornly wedded to his system that no longer works with the players he has. Try something different, try different players, try be being innovative in a new way.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,829

Post#1938 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:52 pm

gerrit4 wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:My what will soon be very unpopular take on a Lowry S&T;

Why?

To make this work you need to burn essentially any cap space we may have in order to take on salary for next season from the team that wants him all for the privilege of a FRP years away or a prospect of varying quality.

The time to have done him a favour was the trade deadline, he gets to go and win somewhere, we are free of all non-prospect salary commitments by July 1st as all the rumoured names are now expired, new team gets his bird rights and can pay him whatever the heck he wants and off you go. For whatever reason, we didnt do that.

Blowing off the rest of this season to do a favour for the GROAT is fine;
But I am not overly motivated to S&T Lowry at the expense of any cap flexibility this summer and to watch the corpses of expiring contracts sit at the end of the bench or taking playing time away from guys who need playing time.

I wouldn't swap even a 1% chance at securing a guy like Richaun Holmes just so that we can "good guys" and accommodate Lowry this summer;

If he wants to stay and its something the management team wants to do... fine but to take on some of the expiring junk and a middling asset we would likely need to take on just so he can get paid what he wants by another team is a non-starter for me.

Losing him for nothing will suck, but its where we are.

/Activate Flame Shield.

Well, personally I think that makes a lot of sense. It's one thing to punt on a lost season like this one, but assuming we're back in TO next year I doubt they'd make any sort of move that would get in the way of competing next season. So yeah, S&T Kyle for a couple scrubs and a pick is not going to happen. If, for example, there's an opportunity to get a young player who can help us now (let's just say Tyler Herro for fun, but that ship has clearly sailed), then I think it would totally consider it.

But realistically, I don't see it happening. The Oladipo to Miami trade had the benefit of appeasing the fans/stars of Miami that they're improving the team, while still keeping the cap room open for Kyle in the summer.

My guess is that Kyle plays out this season, continues to be a great vet leader, while taking games off when he's sore and probably drawing a few less charges - and then heads of to Miami in the summer (unless Vic is great there). My guess is that it's not a super flashy summer for us, but we do fill in the gaps and bring back a more complete roster next year, along with a re-signed GTJ, and our lotto pick.

If we could get Zubac from the Clips, TPE for the balance of what clips agree to pay Lowry I glady do it. If we get Zubac and Beverly and no TPE I gladly do it. Zubac is 24 and fits nicely with a lotto 19 to 22 year old. Our two seconds also 19-22 years old. Malachi 22 y/o. Trent 22 y/o. OG 23 y/o. And, maybe, Jalen Harris 22 y/o. If Beverly was old man on campus at 33 it could be a lot worse. Your 26-28 goup is Paskal, Fred, Hood, Watson, Yuta and Boucher. That is 15 players and 8 are still under 24. That is a big time reset. Add Stanimal and 9 players are 24 and under.

The real question will be is there an alpha solution in this draft for our likely draft placement or do we draft a shooter extraordinaire like Cory Kispert, and add his Gonzaga teammate Filip Petrusev in the second round... ? Beverly also hedges our Malachi growing pains.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,829

Post#1939 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:55 pm

ipains.i know the above looks like OKC but OKC have zero players with rings.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,288

Post#1940 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:03 pm

deeps6x wrote:Mykhailiuk looked pretty good against us last night. Maybe Masai could target him to replace Stanley Johnson.

Lately every loss we have, especially to weaker teams, there or 2-3 players I think, I wish we had that guy. Then I assume they wouldn't be that good with us.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.

Return to Toronto Raptors