The Fire Rosas Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,474

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#101 » by Worm Guts » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:38 pm

Merc_Porto wrote:Let me also mention this...

If Rosas is an analytic guy and makes his decisions through the numbers then we know he only made the trade for Dlo because of KAT. Nothing else. Because the FACT is...

In terms of analytics D'Angelo Russell is one of worse players you can get it in this league.

Or maybe Rosas is not an analytic guy after all.

While I'd agree that Russell isn't good by analytic standards, I don't about one of the worst in the league. Maybe per dollar made.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#102 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:12 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Merc_Porto wrote:Let me also mention this...

If Rosas is an analytic guy and makes his decisions through the numbers then we know he only made the trade for Dlo because of KAT. Nothing else. Because the FACT is...

In terms of analytics D'Angelo Russell is one of worse players you can get it in this league.

Or maybe Rosas is not an analytic guy after all.

While I'd agree that Russell isn't good by analytic standards, I don't about one of the worst in the league. Maybe per dollar made.
Per dollar made? Nope, not a chance. We can start with Wiggins and then the list is still much longer.

I can't stand his hair thingys though. That's one reason to hate em I guess. We drafted a #1 overall with worse "analytics". So that beats Dlo who only costed someone a #2 overall.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,137

Post#103 » by Calinks » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:20 am

I never bought that the only reason Rosas brought in Russell was for Towns.Sure it may have been a significant factor but I highly doubt he operates like that. "Hmmm this guy could be awful and really hamstring my ability to add talent to this team and keep my job but let me get him for KAT."

I truly believe Rosas thinks he can get very good production out of Russell, he may be wrong, but he believes it.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#104 » by Neeva » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:44 am

We better get major production out of DLO next season! So far it’s been nearly a season a half of - a nothing burger.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#105 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 2, 2021 11:40 am

Calinks wrote:I never bought that the only reason Rosas brought in Russell was for Towns.Sure it may have been a significant factor but I highly doubt he operates like that. "Hmmm this guy could be awful and really hamstring my ability to add talent to this team and keep my job but let me get him for KAT."

I truly believe Rosas thinks he can get very good production out of Russell, he may be wrong, but he believes it.

Why add "he may be wrong" into your statement? He's already gotten good production out of him in games he's played. There is no question. There is just fairytales by haters and Rosas breaking his team after the decision to add him. That's as deep as this goes.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,589

Post#106 » by jpatrick » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:42 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Calinks wrote:I never bought that the only reason Rosas brought in Russell was for Towns.Sure it may have been a significant factor but I highly doubt he operates like that. "Hmmm this guy could be awful and really hamstring my ability to add talent to this team and keep my job but let me get him for KAT."

Why add "he may be wrong" into your statement? He's already gotten good production out of him in games he's played. There is no question. There is just fairytales by haters and Rosas breaking his team after the decision to add him. That's as deep as this goes.

DLo will always produce numbers. That’s not the type of production people are talking about. It’s whether his game will ever be conducive to winning. He’s a ball stopper that plays no D, can’t get to the line, and lives off the most inefficient shot in basketball (the long two).

Rosas went after him thinking he was an undervalued asset. Much like Harden was in OKC. It’s possible DLo elevates his game with better teammates. He certainly can shoot it.
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#107 » by ChiefKeith91 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:34 pm

jpatrick wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

DLo will always produce numbers. That’s not the type of production people are talking about. It’s whether his game will ever be conducive to winning. He’s a ball stopper that plays no D, can’t get to the line, and lives off the most inefficient shot in basketball (the long two).

Rosas went after him thinking he was an undervalued asset. Much like Harden was in OKC. It’s possible DLo elevates his game with better teammates. He certainly can shoot it.

Ppl on this form always seem to find a new thing to pick at with DLo so I’ll break it down:

-His contract: Blame KD for that cause he wanted GSW to get something in exchange for him leaving and had to match salaries. DLo was gonna get 25 mil in the FA at least (Lakers, Magic and WOLVES)

-Non winning culture: This team has sucked and you expect him to come in and be your white knight. What seed would this exact team be with Lebron or Curry?(Account for only playing with KAT for 5 games)

-Ball stopper: Yes he plays hero ball at times but look at this roster. If Okogie and Culver were your wing options, the team would put the ball in his hands most of the time also.

-Mid range: He’s ranked 2nd in mid range FG% and one of the best to shoot it behind CP3 and KD. Calling it inefficient is people listening to the “Analytic nerds”. If a player shoots over 50% from 2 I want them shooting that shot. Look at Kyrie, Rip Hamilton, ZBo, and Tim Duncan game.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#108 » by SmokeyPaw » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:40 pm

I've always assumed that Priogini, who was very close to DLO in Brooklyn, had alot to do with bringing DLO to the wolves.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,474

Post#109 » by Worm Guts » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:19 pm

I think he figured Russell was the All Star that he could get and/or he bought into the idea that Booker would want to play with his two buddies.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#110 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:39 pm

jpatrick wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

More fairytale and double standard talk. What production then? All the insane defense everyone else on the team is offering? Yeah right.

What you saw early this season is trash basketball that had nothing to do with him while he was playing. There wasn't 5 players playing together at that time and most of the team was junk at that time. Nobody else could hit a shot much less tie their shoes, or in Layman/Juan's case they were just out of shape and underprepared. Then you had a rookie who thought he was superman not playing with anyone but himself. Some of that now later in the season has started to change a bit, along with getting Kat back. Yet Dlo still produced because he's more than the average pos. If he was garbage and playing with a bunch of average to sub average then he would have produced nothing more then any of them were and that's just not at all what happened. No matter how much you want to claim it.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#111 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:43 pm

ChiefKeith91 wrote:
jpatrick wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Ppl on this form always seem to find a new thing to pick at with DLo so I’ll break it down:

-His contract: Blame KD for that cause he wanted GSW to get something in exchange for him leaving and had to match salaries. DLo was gonna get 25 mil in the FA at least (Lakers, Magic and WOLVES)

-Non winning culture: This team has sucked and you expect him to come in and be your white knight. What seed would this exact team be with Lebron or Curry?(Account for only playing with KAT for 5 games)

-Ball stopper: Yes he plays hero ball at times but look at this roster. If Okogie and Culver were your wing options, the team would put the ball in his hands most of the time also.

-Mid range: He’s ranked 2nd in mid range FG% and one of the best to shoot it behind CP3 and KD. Calling it inefficient is people listening to the “Analytic nerds”. If a player shoots over 50% from 2 I want them shooting that shot. Look at Kyrie, Rip Hamilton, ZBo, and Tim Duncan game.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
You are on point Keith, nice post. I should have just let you respond in the first place.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#112 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:50 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

I think he figured Russell was the All Star that he could get and/or he bought into the idea that Booker would want to play with his two buddies.
Sure I think that was his and Kat's hope. Their hope in that doesn't have to be over either. These guys are all still very young. Anything can still happen. People claimed they wouldn't change the Suns after their big bubble run. Boy did they change it. But it may fail yet, anything is possible.

Example. What happens if all the losing the Lakers do while both Lebron/Davis are out drops them to the 7th seed and maybe Suns are the 2 seed or whatever and they match up for a first round exit and a really ugly outcome? We'll see how well that attempt at a run goes.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,591

Post#113 » by Klomp » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:59 pm

Jedzz wrote:What you saw early this season is trash basketball that had nothing to do with him while he was playing. There wasn't 5 players playing together at that time and most of the team was junk at that time. Nobody else could hit a shot much less tie their shoes, or in Layman/Juan's case they were just out of shape and underprepared. Then you had a rookie who thought he was superman not playing with anyone but himself. Some of that now later in the season has started to change a bit, along with getting Kat back. Yet Dlo still produced because he's more than the average pos. If he was garbage and playing with a bunch of average to sub average then he would have produced nothing more then any of them were and that's just not at all what happened. No matter how much you want to claim it.

I would add to this that what we saw early also had little to do with Rosas.

It might be the case that building a team around your star player is a flawed concept that self-destructs in case of injury, but what GM wouldn't do that? Do the Lakers not build This team is entirely different when Towns is out of the lineup. This team is entirely different when Beasley is out of the lineup. We really have yet to see what this team can be.

We also have yet to see the full extent of the Finch offense, but the early returns are promising. We are 5-7 since the all-star break, with half of those without Beasley and still without Russell. We're starting to see what Rosas is building.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,160

Post#114 » by winforlose » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:02 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:What you saw early this season is trash basketball that had nothing to do with him while he was playing. There wasn't 5 players playing together at that time and most of the team was junk at that time. Nobody else could hit a shot much less tie their shoes, or in Layman/Juan's case they were just out of shape and underprepared. Then you had a rookie who thought he was superman not playing with anyone but himself. Some of that now later in the season has started to change a bit, along with getting Kat back. Yet Dlo still produced because he's more than the average pos. If he was garbage and playing with a bunch of average to sub average then he would have produced nothing more then any of them were and that's just not at all what happened. No matter how much you want to claim it.

It might be the case that building a team around your star player is a flawed concept that self-destructs in case of injury, but what GM wouldn't do that? Do the Lakers not build This team is entirely different when Towns is out of the lineup. This team is entirely different when Beasley is out of the lineup. We really have yet to see what this team can be.

We also have yet to see the full extent of the Finch offense, but the early returns are promising. We are 5-7 since the all-star break, with half of those without Beasley and still without Russell. We're starting to see what Rosas is building.

I want to add to this by saying MCD, Nowell, Reid, and JMAC all showing that Rosas has an eye for late round or undervalued talent. Ant is a questionable choice and the Rubio trade is as well. Both players in theory contribute something but didn’t perhaps pan out as expected. The only true flub was the Culver trade, and that was indeed a clusterfu**. All in all with his coach in place and his roster finally getting healthy we can start to see Rosas true vision play out.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#115 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:26 am

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I want to add to this by saying MCD, Nowell, Reid, and JMAC all showing that Rosas has an eye for late round or undervalued talent. Ant is a questionable choice and the Rubio trade is as well. Both players in theory contribute something but didn’t perhaps pan out as expected. The only true flub was the Culver trade, and that was indeed a clusterfu**. All in all with his coach in place and his roster finally getting healthy we can start to see Rosas true vision play out.

You guys are a little too positive about the clusterlog that will soon exist again. Could have been really good after teh deadline. Players are going to be sitting or something soon.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,591

Post#116 » by Klomp » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:38 am

winforlose wrote:I want to add to this by saying MCD, Nowell, Reid, and JMAC all showing that Rosas has an eye for late round or undervalued talent. Ant is a questionable choice and the Rubio trade is as well. Both players in theory contribute something but didn’t perhaps pan out as expected. The only true flub was the Culver trade, and that was indeed a clusterfu**. All in all with his coach in place and his roster finally getting healthy we can start to see Rosas true vision play out.

I would add to your add-on that one move should never define a tenure. Just like drafting Garnett didn't make McHale a great GM, drafting Culver doesn't make Rosas a bad one.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#117 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:09 am

SmokeyPaw wrote:

I've always assumed that Priogini, who was very close to DLO in Brooklyn, had alot to do with bringing DLO to the wolves.
Dlo, Jmac, who was other player they brought over that first year. Was that where Graham had been prior?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#118 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:15 am

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:I want to add to this by saying MCD, Nowell, Reid, and JMAC all showing that Rosas has an eye for late round or undervalued talent. Ant is a questionable choice and the Rubio trade is as well. Both players in theory contribute something but didn’t perhaps pan out as expected. The only true flub was the Culver trade, and that was indeed a clusterfu**. All in all with his coach in place and his roster finally getting healthy we can start to see Rosas true vision play out.

I would add to your add-on that one move should never define a tenure. Just like drafting Garnett didn't make McHale a great GM, drafting Culver doesn't make Rosas a bad one.

Ant is still a build breaking move until proven otherwise. He destroyed the team build and all these guards and points. That is a GM failure written in stone to me. We are currently stuck in a roster that has to change a lot again. He is right now tonight proving just like every game. He's an onball point Harden. Rosas dumped his prior plans for him. No way to suger coat that it sets the team back years even if he is as good as James Harden himself by year two. Need a team that can play together and having two point guards that are affable and will just go stand in the corner when Ant is playing with them isn't a winning solution. The team is just playing 4 on 5.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#119 » by winforlose » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:39 am

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Ant is still a build breaking move until proven otherwise. He destroyed the team build and all these guards and points. That is a GM failure written in stone to me. We are currently stuck in a roster that has to change a lot again. He is right now tonight proving just like every game. He's an onball point Harden. Rosas dumped his prior plans for him. No way to suger coat that it sets the team back years even if he is as good as James Harden himself by year two. Need a team that can play together and having two point guards that are affable and will just go stand in the corner when Ant is playing with them isn't a winning solution. The team is just playing 4 on 5.

I can both sugar cost and dispute it. If Ant turns into Harden lite then he has a ton of trade value. I agree that Ant needs to develop, but don’t assume that he cannot be salvaged.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#120 » by winforlose » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:08 am

I gotta ask again, should GSW fire their GM because they lose without their best player?

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2021/4/2/22365005/warriors-raptors-blowout-loss-steph-curry-out

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves