ImageImageImageImageImage

Bullets sign Wes Unseld Jr. to 4-year contract to become the franchise's 25th head coach!

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Re: Who should be the next Bullets head coach? (2021 Edition) 

Post#61 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:51 pm

Really a nice interview -- seems a terrific guy!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#62 » by Kanyewest » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:48 pm

DCZards wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:It would have to be a godfather offer from the Bullets to get it done if Wright didn't consider the 76ers. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29794889/villanova-basketball-coach-jay-wright-says-not-candidate-76ers-vacancy

Jay Wright is a great college coach. And there's a good chance he could do just as well at the NBA level. My concern is that if you're forced to give Wright a godfather offer and he's not successful at the NBA level (which has been the case with several good college coaches) then you're stuck with him and a large price tag.

Yeah, it certainly isn't without risk. The roster in particular would have to be suited to Wright. Villanova didn't do as well in the early 2010s when Wright recruited more 4-5 star recruits but weren't willing to bring as hard defensively. More recently, Wright didn't mesh with 5 star recruit, Jahvon Quinerly, who transferred from Villanova to Alabama, although to be fair to Wright, Quinerly didn't seem to be ready. Even much earlier Wright had trouble coaching Kyle Lowry and had to rely heavily on upperclassmen on the team- although perhaps that had more to do with Lowry at that stage of his career.

Still, there is a good chance Wright follows the Brad Stevens roadmap and or even Billy Donovan. That being said, the Wizards could offer Wright more money and there's a very good chance Wright would turn it down. UCLA offered Wright twice the amount of money back in 2019.
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ncaa/ucla-reportedly-offered-jay-wright-ridiculous-amount-he-turned-down
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#63 » by likwitdesi » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:26 am

verbal8 wrote:
likwitdesi wrote:Kenny Atkinson got a raw deal in Brooklyn. He is clearly a guy who does not coddle stars and I was impressed with the job he did a couple years back without the big name stars yet on his roster.

That is probably the path to success for the Wizards. Beal is a star in terms of production, but seems not to have a personality/attitude of needing to be catered to that many stars have.

Same with Westbrook and the young guys we have on this team. I think Hachi, Avdija etc want to be coached and would respond well to a hardass
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#64 » by FAH1223 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:42 pm

NatP4 wrote:If you subscribe to the Athletic (which I highly recommend), Fred Katz had a pretty interesting Q&A today. Said Westbrook is untradeable and not going to be moved, period. Said Brooks is not coming back after this year. Had some insight into Mathews’ new contract and the wizards overall direction(or lack thereof).

Read on Twitter

Fred basically flat out said NO when asked if Brooks is getting extended :lol:

FAH1223
RealGM

Post#65 » by FAH1223 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:18 pm

LOL

Read on Twitter
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#66 » by WallToWall » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:28 pm

FAH1223 wrote:LOL

Read on Twitter
Wait! So he comes back... in another role?
Well, everytime i see him, I envision the mop guy who sweeps up the court, keeping sweat and other liquids off the court. Not that its a bad job or anything. Its just that when I see him, I think that.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#67 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:36 pm

Brooks will never be a head coach again after this season.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,880

Post#68 » by Frichuela » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:09 pm

NatP4 wrote:Brooks will never be a head coach again after this season.

I hope you are right Nat...another season of this moron at the helm would be too much to watch... :noway:
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#69 » by NatP4 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:40 am

I’ll pass on Juwan Howard. He’s done a terrible job in this elite 8 game. Awful substitutions, awful gameplan, might cost them the season.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,036

Post#70 » by queridiculo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:34 am

Who's to say the Wizards coaching search doesn't go the same way the Wizards GM search went?

Brooks doesn't strike me like the kind of guy that would walk away from a job offer after a protracted search for his replacement comes up empty.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#71 » by WallToWall » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:56 pm

queridiculo wrote:Who's to say the Wizards coaching search doesn't go the same way the Wizards GM search went?

Brooks doesn't strike me like the kind of guy that would walk away from a job offer after a protracted search for his replacement comes up empty.
Ah, I hope the search does not come up empty. Given that Shep did not hire Brooks, its more likely that Shep would want someone he hires in as the coach.
The wild card in all this is if there is indeed interest in Ujiri. If so, Ujiri may want to effect change everywhere.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#72 » by FAH1223 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:09 pm

WallToWall wrote:
queridiculo wrote:Who's to say the Wizards coaching search doesn't go the same way the Wizards GM search went?

Ah, I hope the search does not come up empty. Given that Shep did not hire Brooks, its more likely that Shep would want someone he hires in as the coach.
The wild card in all this is if there is indeed interest in Ujiri. If so, Ujiri may want to effect change everywhere.

Quinton Mayo on his Twitch stream said that Ted isn’t happy with his finances and that he’s losing money on these teams.

He doesn’t see Ted shelling out the money for Masai. Expects Tommy to get a 1 to 2 year extension.

He also expects them to pull a Wizards and hire Robert Pack
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#73 » by gambitx777 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:06 am

You can't say he was worse than brooks.
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Bring back eddie Jordan lol .

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

I wish I could downvote.

Eretz Yisrael
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#74 » by Eretz Yisrael » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:56 am

I'd like the Wizards to bring back David Blatt in a head coaching capacity.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 820

Post#75 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:19 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Quinton Mayo on his Twitch stream said that Ted isn’t happy with his finances and that he’s losing money on these teams.

He doesn’t see Ted shelling out the money for Masai. Expects Tommy to get a 1 to 2 year extension.

We could do a lot worse than this. We have done a lot worse than this. The Unseld/Leonard Hamilton combo was pretty bad. Lucky for us, they put us in position to win the lottery and we landed all-time great Kwame Brown. I might have some details wrong.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#76 » by doclinkin » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:24 pm

Eretz Yisrael wrote:I'd like the Wizards to bring back David Blatt in a head coaching capacity.

I've been pushing for this for years. LeBron may have killed his career in the NBA, but he won everywhere else he has been. He runs the sort of Princeton hybrid that actually works, with movement and passing that makes every player a danger. He would absolutely find use for ballhandling bigs like Deni.

He does seem to wear out his welcome somehow. Not sure why. Same thing with Dave Joerger who I also like. They both seem to improve their teams, then I suppose irritate the ownership and move on.

One Euro coach I'd be interested in is a guy who I think played for David Blatt at Maccabi. Sarunas Jasikevicius has won at every level other than the NBA, where he was something of a scrub role-player. He played for Maryland, then went on to a superstar career in the Euroleague. He now coaches Barcelona. Where David Blatt is a demainding guy who tends to get under your skin, Saras seems both tough minded and affable, loved by his players. That would seem to be a better fit for the NBA, but maybe he could bring in Blatt as an assistant.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,036

Post#77 » by queridiculo » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:05 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
WallToWall wrote:

So long Bradley Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#78 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:52 am

gambitx777 wrote:You can't say he was worse than brooks.
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
I wish I could downvote.

I think that Dat2U Yes probably the best when it comes to coming up with his own draft tiers. He has a lot of followers on Twitter.

I could not disagree with him more about Eddie Jordan.

Eddie could take garbage men to the playoffs. Sanitation engineers...

Ernie Granfield fired Eddie Jordan following a playoff season in which the Wizards started off with ONE win and 11 losses. They had a slew of injured players.

Jordan made the playoffs without Arenas and Arenas came back and messed that up in my humble opinion

If you’re Gilbert at least I can only opinion because I can’t afford much else. :-)

Gilbert tried to come back for the playoffs as all great players do. Jordan did with coaches do— which is to trus
t his star player. The thing that Eddie did that was so stupid was that he played Gilbert 41 minutes a game.

For the record I said the wizards were were very stupid to reward a player for opting out injured by giving him a long-term deal

Nate and others told me just how wrong I was and this is one of those times where I was probably one of the two or three people right

When the Sean Stevenson and I’m gonna leave that typo in there and Antonio Daniels and others did such a wonderful job to get a seventh or eighth seed or whatever it was....I did not understand changing what wasn’t broken for trying to fix what’s not broken. Gilbert should’ve been allowed to rest until next season.

Eddie Jordan played him a Lotta minutes and Gilbert played injured and I don’t think he was gonna be the same either way

No Eddie was not as bad as Scott Brooks in my opinion
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#79 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:53 am

EJ Did not get 35 million over five years
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#80 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:54 am

Mizerooskie wrote:Has anyone mentioned Charles Lee yet?

From an ESPN piece in September:

Few assistant coaches saw a bigger season-to-season jump in our informal poll than Charles Lee, 35, who's in his sixth season working under Mike Budenholzer in Atlanta and now Milwaukee. Fans of Lee, who played professionally overseas before spending a couple of years as an equity trader on Wall Street, tout him as a five-tool coach who is every bit as comfortable having meaningful conversations with a backup point guard as he is dining with a team owner. Those who have worked with him say he has an intuitive sense of how to inspire improvement from players but also understands high-level strategy and the preparation required to implement it. He is, in the words of one peer, someone who is "categorically going to be an NBA head coach."

I'm one that doesn't think this bit matters, but: Born in DC, grew up in Gaithersburg, went to Quince Orchard.

Here's a lengthy interview from a German hoops reporter with Lee. He's a really impressive guy. Well-traveled, humble, introspective, relatable. I'm on board.

I would go thumbs up
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards