ImageImageImage

Killian Hayes set to return Saturday vs Knicks

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,942

Re: Killian Hayes set to return Saturday vs Knicks 

Post#21 » by Uncle Mxy » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:11 am

Tank is my guy. Rooting for the Tank. Killian can help Tank out.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#22 » by flow » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:20 pm

NYPiston wrote:
Snakebites wrote:We’re still in BPA mode, I think.

Seriously. "fit" shouldn't matter one bit when you're drafting this high and have no elite talent. Whoever the best player is, draft him and find a fit.

Anyway, glad to hear that Killian is back. I would love nothing more than for him to shut up the people who sadly gave up on him after 7 freaking pro games.
It'll take some time to get his game legs back fully but it would be nice to see him turn things around going into next season. I have a feeling that he'll do better now that the carcass of Blake Griffin isn't weighing everybody down anymore and with more youthful energy in the roster as a whole.

This is just wishful scapegoating. The problems he displayed had zero to do with any other player on the team.

Let's just cross our fingers and hope he becomes a better player than he was in December/January.

chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#23 » by chrbal » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:57 pm

flow wrote:
NYPiston wrote:
Snakebites wrote:We’re still in BPA mode, I think.

Seriously. "fit" shouldn't matter one bit when you're drafting this high and have no elite talent. Whoever the best player is, draft him and find a fit.

Anyway, glad to hear that Killian is back. I would love nothing more than for him to shut up the people who sadly gave up on him after 7 freaking pro games.
It'll take some time to get his game legs back fully but it would be nice to see him turn things around going into next season. I have a feeling that he'll do better now that the carcass of Blake Griffin isn't weighing everybody down anymore and with more youthful energy in the roster as a whole.

This is just wishful scapegoating. The problems he displayed had zero to do with any other player on the team.

Let's just cross our fingers and hope he becomes a better player than he was in December/January.

But in fairness there’s truth in his statement. All of Hayes starts he had Griffin and Wright also facilitating the offense. With Rose on the bench affording the ability for Casey to have a short leash on Hayes. Those 3 have essentially been replaced by Cook, Smith Jr, and Joseph. With Joseph being the only true veteran.

I’m not saying that was all of his problems, but the other rookies started to perform better when Griffin and Rose were no longer available.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#24 » by 440BB » Sat Apr 3, 2021 5:09 pm

I think the Rose/Griffin issue definitely affected how Hayes was used to start the season. Since having two ball dominant players in Rose and Griffin on the floor together wasn't workable, Hayes would have to start with Griffin or come off the bench with Griffin. Griffin wasn't ready to relinquish his starting role and/or Casey was trying to boost his value, forcing Hayes into the starter role. I'm sure keeping Rose's minutes down was a factor as well. Casey clearly regrets this now.

Without Rose, Hayes could have been Wright's backup to start the season and had less pressure to deliver immediately. Without Griffin, Hayes wouldn't have been stuck with a ball dominant former star to deal with, playing within a more normal, fluid offense starting out.

I'm 50/50 on whether Hayes even becomes a rotation piece at this point. Maybe he really has seen the game slow down a bit from the sidelines. We'll likely find out by this time next year, after he has a full off season, some experience and hopefully full health.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,084

Post#25 » by NYPiston » Sat Apr 3, 2021 5:23 pm

flow wrote:

Griffin, a player that was intentionally dogging it out there, was detrimental to offensive flow. This isn't exactly a controversial statement. Hayes played the majority of his minutes alongside Griffin. I believe Hayes will be better in a more free flowing offense where he can showcase his skills more. When Griffin was on the court, the pace of the game usually grinding to a halt and yes I do think that played a part in Hayes struggles.

Now there's things that Hayes clearly needs to work on that are his own issues but I do think that playing with Griffin was somewhat detrimental to Hayes ability to run the team. The team as a whole is a lot different than it was when Hayes went down so in a lot of ways, it's a fresh start for him.
Maybe he just doesn't have what it takes but I do believe he's in a better position to succeed now than he was in the beginning of the season.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,886

Post#26 » by tmorgan » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:23 pm

I don’t really care if he sucks. I care if he’s scared.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#27 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:29 pm

tmorgan wrote:I don’t really care if he sucks. I care if he’s scared.

Agreed.

If he was terrified then he might be playable soon, which would be great. He couldnt dribble the ball up the court, that is a serious problem.

If he simply is really that bad, then its going to take a miracle, 19 years old or whatever.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#28 » by Billl » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:19 pm

In his last euro season, he hit 90% on FT and 39% from 3. For us, he shot 50% from the line and 25% from 3. That is just mental. That doesn't mean he is going to automatically improve, but I don't think his performance so far means he doesn't have the skills to play in the NBA.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#29 » by Manocad » Sun Apr 4, 2021 12:09 am

My source says Killian Hayes is not starting but will play
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#30 » by Pharaoh » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:11 am

Can't judge anyone on 7 games.

He showed flashes in every game as you'd expect from a high Lotto pick.

It was well known he was more a "project" than most at the top of the Draft too.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
Shooter1
Pro Prospect
And1: 67

Post#31 » by Shooter1 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:51 pm

Calling it early. He is a bust and was a bad pick. 4-6 better Guards picked after him. Here’s hoping we get a PG with a top 5 pick.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#32 » by vic » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:40 pm

I can't judge 7 games but I can judge the 7 games I've seen. No superstar guard in the NBA has difficulty scoring at all 3 levels. At this point he's battling for Saben Lee's spot off the bench next year.

NBA draft 2021 = BPA even if its Jalen Suggs at 3 or Jaden Springer at 7.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#33 » by DBC10 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 9:30 pm

vic wrote:I can't judge 7 games but I can judge the 7 games I've seen. No superstar guard in the NBA has difficulty scoring at all 3 levels. At this point he's battling for Saben Lee's spot off the bench next year.

NBA draft 2021 = BPA even if its Jalen Suggs at 3 or Jaden Springer at 7.

Hell, Lee has shown way more flash so far in his string of games than Hayes. But it makes sense since he did have more college ball games to prep him to get this far.

It should always be BPA until we're a true contender.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#34 » by bstein14 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 10:33 pm

Hopefully we get a summer league team this year. Honestly Sekou still needs it, and then we've got the 4 rookies plus our 2021 draft picks... would be our best summer league team we've ever had for sure.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#35 » by treefi » Sun Apr 4, 2021 10:37 pm

bstein14 wrote:Hopefully we get a summer league team this year. Honestly Sekou still needs it, and then we've got the 4 rookies plus our 2021 draft picks... would be our best summer league team we've ever had for sure.

This.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:51 am

He looked less scared but still can't shoot. I'm happy that Hayes is at least playable now, so he can get minutes, try to compete and improve.

Hayes, Diallo, Josh Jackson, Plumlee can not play together as an NBA lineup. Too many guys who cant shoot.

Hayes needs to play with Ellington, Bey, Grant and Stewart I guess, to have any shot at showing what type of player he is. Not fair to Saben Lee or even DSjr who are better players at the moment, but #7 pick was made and this is the guy who is supposed to have a high ceiling.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:54 am

bstein14 wrote:Hopefully we get a summer league team this year. Honestly Sekou still needs it, and then we've got the 4 rookies plus our 2021 draft picks... would be our best summer league team we've ever had for sure.

I believe 2 years ago the GR Drive played for the G-League championship against Utah team?

Jordan Bone, Louis King, Sekou, Donte Hall, Kyrhi Thomas, plus a couple PFs that made it up to the Pistons and played a few minutes at the end of the year. I forget who they were.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#38 » by Pharaoh » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:04 am

Only 1 of those guys is still in the league though if memory serves.

A SL team of Hayes, Lee, Bey, Sekou, Stewart, our 2021 Pick, the CHA & TOR 2nds would be crazy.

Is there a limit on how many dudes we could send?

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
2sinsworth
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#39 » by 2sinsworth » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:50 am

Hayes looked much more at ease in his first game back. The lack of scoring didn't bother me. The shot will come. Grabbed 5 rebounds and pushed the ball up the court after each rebound, looking to distribute each time. His passes had some pace but were accurate. Guys just couldn't hit their shots. Hayes could have had at least 3 more assists on top of the 3 dimes he had, if the shots were falling. I forget who it was, when Hayes zinged a pass and it went thru the hands of the player. Another time, Hayes put a pass right in the hands of Stewart that could have been a layup but it ended in a block. That was a sweet pass.

The two quick early fouls weren't helpful but Hayes recovered and played through it. I think pairing him with Joseph was a good fit. Joseph allowed Hayes to run the offense, and each time Hayes pushed the ball up the floor, he spotted players on the fringes with passes. Ultimately in the long run, his passing will open up some shots for himself.

Give him about 5 more games to get in sync with the team, but he'll need about 25 minutes a game. My guess is he'll start showing potential for some real game at that point.
Kp junior
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#40 » by Kp junior » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:56 pm

This was nice at least

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to Detroit Pistons