ImageImageImage

Race to the bottom: Who's our biggest competition?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

DNice68
Rookie
And1: 376

Re: Race to the bottom: Who's our biggest competition? 

Post#461 » by DNice68 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:32 am

The Timberwolves win tonight. I still think they have more of a chance to play out of the top three than us! Especially if Russell and Beasley come back!
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#462 » by DetroitSho » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:40 am

DNice68 wrote:The Timberwolves win tonight. I still think they have more of a chance to play out of the top three than us! Especially if Russell and Beasley come back!
Beasley is back, I believe he hit the deciding shot.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,046

Post#463 » by Laimbeer » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:36 pm

Cleveland and Orlando are coming on strong.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#464 » by ducler » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:32 am

Fortunately for us Magic also won yesterday.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#465 » by bstein14 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:00 pm

Looking at our remaining schedule, our best record possible is probably about 22-50 which would mean we'd finish 8-16 in our last 24 games which is a .333 winning percentage. Winning one out of every three games should still leave us finishing in the bottom 3 or 4 teams. I would say its incredibly likely we end up finishing with one of the following 3 record.

22-50 .305
21-51 .292
20-52 .278

In the West its only Houston and Minnesota that could win 22 or fewer games. In the East its us, Orlando, Cleveland, and Washington. The win last night gets Washington included, especially if they decide to shut down Beal at some point to preserve his offseason trade value to ensure he is healthy.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,084

Post#466 » by NYPiston » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:24 pm

I was bored so I took a look at some mock drafts and the first, and only, two I looked at had the Pistons taking Barnes at 7 and taking Wagner at 6. Talk about worst case scenario. Sadly, I think these are plausible scenarios in the sense that the Pistons never have lottery luck and I could easily see Weaver having those two high on his list.
aad
Starter
And1: 463

Post#467 » by aad » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:46 pm

If we draft Barnes this whole season was a waste
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#468 » by MotownMadness » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:51 pm

I'm looking at SGs in that area like Bouknight, Johnson, Springer. Would probably look for a trade back to the back of the lottery hoping to grab one.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,886

Post#469 » by tmorgan » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:33 pm

There is no way in hell Franz Wagner is going sixth in this draft.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#470 » by MotownMadness » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:11 pm

Davion Mitchell is a solid player man
bstein14
RealGM

Post#471 » by bstein14 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:56 pm

Next 5 games should be 0-5 or hopefully 1-4 at best. This is a key stretch for us to lose games because when we look at the final 17 games of the season after this its a bit easier. Need to lose the ones we should lose for sure going into that last month of the season.

Tuesday April 6th @ Denver
Thursday April 8th @ Sacramento
Saturday April 10th @ Portland
Sunday April 11th @ LA Clippers
Wednesday April 14th vs LA Clippers

Sacramento is currently 1.5 games back from the 10th seed play-in games so they are still certainly gunning for that at this point.

It feels like at this point, only Minny, Houston, and OKC in the West are in tank mode. In the East its us and Orlando for sure. Toronto, Cleveland, and Washington still all seem like they are gunning for those play-in games for the playoffs. Normally more teams would be jumping in on the tank train by this point put those play-in games seemingly keep the playoff dreams alive and within reach for more teams which is good for our tank for sure.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#472 » by edmunder_prc » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:02 pm

aad wrote:If we draft Barnes this whole season was a waste

Hey, Pistons won a tough game against the Thunder's recent 2-way contract guys. 8-)

That plus Barnes is what this organization needs.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,675

Post#473 » by Invictus88 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:52 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:
aad wrote:If we draft Barnes this whole season was a waste

Hey, Pistons won a tough game against the Thunder's recent 2-way contract guys. 8-)

That plus Barnes is what this organization needs.

I haven't seen him late in the season but early on he wasn't impressive. It's just so hard to tell being one year removed from h.s.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,761

Post#474 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:33 pm

We no longer have an easier remaining schedule than Orlando, Cleveland, or Washington.

Our remaining schedule is actually slightly above average now.

So there’s that at least.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,116

Post#475 » by The Moose » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:58 am

lol are the thunder going to win another game the rest of the season?

Look at the lineup they are trotting out there

3/8 of the players in their rotation are undrafted rookies
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#476 » by 440BB » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:43 am

The bottom nine teams in the league all went 3-7 over their last 10 games. Whether tanking or not, all sucked equally.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#477 » by MotownMadness » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:50 am

The Moose wrote:lol are the thunder going to win another game the rest of the season?

Why are they allowed to just sit stealthy Horford like they are? Sure Cavs and Pistons did it with the intention to buy the player out at least. These cheap skates just make him sit and tank their asses off.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#478 » by bstein14 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:09 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
The Moose wrote:lol are the thunder going to win another game the rest of the season?

Why are they allowed to just sit stealthy Horford like they are? Sure Cavs and Pistons did it with the intention to buy the player out at least. These cheap skates just make him sit and tank their asses off.

Buying a player out is almost always a bad move unless the player is willing to give up a significant amount of money. Perhaps next year a team will need him at the trade deadline and they won't have to eat all that remaining salary.

They got picks to take that contract, and their goal is to get rid of it for pure expiring and possibly even get a pick back out of it. They've been masterful at taking on contracts and collecting picks, and then trading those contracts for extra picks. Amazing how far their rebuild has gone since Paul George decided he didn't want to be there just a year and a half ago.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#479 » by MotownMadness » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:13 pm

bstein14 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

Buying a player out is almost always a bad move unless the player is willing to give up a significant amount of money. Perhaps next year a team will need him at the trade deadline and they won't have to eat all that remaining salary.

They got picks to take that contract, and their goal is to get rid of it for pure expiring and possibly even get a pick back out of it. They've been masterful at taking on contracts and collecting picks, and then trading those contracts for extra picks. Amazing how far their rebuild has gone since Paul George decided he didn't want to be there just a year and a half ago.

Didn't the Pelicans get fined for doing that to Davis? I understand why they would want to sit him as it's a beautiful tank move but wondering how they can for that long.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#480 » by bstein14 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:17 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Why are they allowed to just sit stealthy Horford like they are? Sure Cavs and Pistons did it with the intention to buy the player out at least. These cheap skates just make him sit and tank their asses off.

Didn't the Pelicans get fined for doing that to Davis? I understand why they would want to sit him as it's a beautiful tank move but wondering how they can for that long.

Davis wanted to play the Pelicans just didn't want to ruin the trade value of someone who asked them for a trade, by having him get injured. At this point in his career, Horford is probably fine with saving the wear and tear on his body and getting paid to stay home. Especially since he is married to a Miss Universe winner and they have four children together. So overall, if both parties agree to it I think its fine. The NBA did also say that this season they wouldn't be enforcing the issue of having stars play and not sit out due to rest, unless it was for National TV games.

Return to Detroit Pistons