ImageImageImageImageImage

This summer is going to be the most important of Myers' career.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

This summer is going to be the most important of Myers' career. 

Post#1 » by killmongrel » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:05 pm

He doesn't just get to sit back and wait for the market to come to him. He's actually gonna have to go and take the bull by the horns and make a big move based on his own initiative. So many times the guy talked about waiting for the dust to settle before making a move. Well now he doesn't have that luxury since he doesn't get to coast with Steph, KD, Klay, and the rest of the core to make his job easy. Let's see how the guy handles the pressure and has to make big boy decisions that can determine the future of the franchise for the next several years.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,406

Re: This summer is going to be the most important of Myers' career. 

Post#2 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:20 pm

Yep. For sure.

It's going to come down to this: Do the Warriors play with two rookies on their team while Curry, Klay, Draymond waste the next 3 years....or do hey realized that ONE rookie (Wiseman will effectively be a rookie next year) is all they can afford.

IMO, regardless of how the Wolves pick pans out (or not) in 2021, Myers MUST translate that into immediate help for the core.

Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Green, Wiseman won't do it. Wiseman will not be the help we need. We'll get eaten alive on the boards night after night.

Good news is a lot of chit is very likely to go down between now and then.
IF Lakers or Clipper get an early exit, they are likely to blow it up for the right price. Kawhi might bail. What if Bucks get bounced in the second round?

In the end Myers will have Wiseman, lottery level pick (2021 4-7 or 2022 unprotected), Warriors future 1st to go after a big name if one of them shakes out after this year. I could see Warriors making a run at Kawhi, for example, WHEN the Clippers get bounced.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#3 » by ahmetmekin » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:28 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Yep. For sure.

It's going to come down to this: Do the Warriors play with two rookies on their team while Curry, Klay, Draymond waste the next 3 years....or do hey realized that ONE rookie (Wiseman will effectively be a rookie next year) is all they can afford.

IMO, regardless of how the Wolves pick pans out (or not) in 2021, Myers MUST translate that into immediate help for the core.

Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Green, Wiseman won't do it. Wiseman will not be the help we need. We'll get eaten alive on the boards night after night.

IF Lakers or Clipper get an early exit, they are likely to blow it up for the right price. Kawhi might bail. What if Bucks get bounced in the second round?

In the end Myers will have Wiseman, lottery level pick (2021 4-7 or 2022 unprotected), Warriors future 1st to go after a big name if one of them shakes out after this year. I could see Warriors making a run at Kawhi, for example, WHEN the Clippers get bounced.

Wiseman is one of the worst players in the league by many metrics at the moment. A huge leap for him means going from absolutely brutal to pretty bad. So there is no place for a guy like him with a huge negative on court value and significant trade value next year if you really want to contend. You can afford a rookie or two if they are neutral or slightly positive (such as guys like Lamelo or Haliburton. They are miles better than Wiseman so that there is almost 0% chance that Wiseman becomes better than year 1 Lamelo or Haliburton next year.)
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:31 pm

ship Wiseman off for a serviceable player in the off-season, and yes, try to get 2 stud rooks with our picks (if they convey) who are actually good fits on this team...like a Suggs who you know is a perfect fit on this team, etc. just because someone is a rook doesn't mean they won't contribute. it's about getting the right talent/fit combination always.
vetmin
Junior
And1: 131

Post#5 » by vetmin » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:39 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Good news is a lot of chit is very likely to go down between now and then.

Re: stars being potentially available: I don't think things are as volatile as you seem to think. The Clippers and Lakers won't blow up if they get bounced early ("blow up" in the sense of their star duos splitting up). LeBron and AD aren't going to find better partners than each other (except for maybe Steph, in LeBron's case, but that would be Steph going to the Lakers), and they're already proven anyway, so if the Lakers get bounced, they'll just run it back with changes to the supporting cast.

The Clippers aren't proven, but Kawhi went through so much trouble to get to LA that I can't see him leaving even if the team got embarrassed again. If, by some extraordinary chance Kawhi developed wandering eyes, it would be financially very difficult for the Warriors to acquire him, if he even wanted to come here. He'd probably go to the Heat or something. The target in that scenario would be Paul George, since if Kawhi leaves, then PG is pointless to keep around. Again though, it's hard for me to imagine Kawhi leaving.

Also, I think the Bucks would have to be humiliated like 3 years in a row for Giannis to MAYBE ask out. They haven't even fired Budenholzer yet, so if they get embarrassed this year, they'll fire him and Giannis will see what the team can do with a new coach.

Beal and Towns are the only real stars who could possibly shake free this summer, but I think the odds are incredibly slim even for them. I think the Beal / WAS mutual self-delusion is real, and he's just going to keep doing his best Loyal Lillard impression over there. Re: KAT: Unless there's some kind of drama about MIN insisting on trading DLo away and KAT not being cool with it, I think they'll wanna see a full year with Chris Finch before making any big moves.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#6 » by azwfan » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:19 am

Its the most important summer of this year, thats for sure.

Most important of his career?
I dunno the summer he got Iguodala and the summer he got Durant were pretty important I’d say.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#7 » by azwfan » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:21 am

clyde21 wrote:

ship Wiseman off for a serviceable player in the off-season, and yes, try to get 2 stud rooks with our picks (if they convey) who are actually good fits on this team...like a Suggs who you know is a perfect fit on this team, etc. just because someone is a rook doesn't mean they won't contribute. it's about getting the right talent/fit combination always.

Really like Suggs for us. Well, guess I like him for just about anyone
clyde21
RealGM

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:23 am

azwfan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Really like Suggs for us. Well, guess I like him for just about anyone

he'd be an incredible fit in this offense and team, but pipe dream now.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#9 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:40 am

They need to spend all their time on wiseman this summer. You simply cant have that bad a defensive player at the most important defensive position and expect to win.

Myers will need a cheap upgrade at C. Someone a little better and bigger than looney maybe a dieng or noel or even criss.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#10 » by wco81 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:53 am

ahmetmekin wrote:

Wiseman is one of the worst players in the league by many metrics at the moment. A huge leap for him means going from absolutely brutal to pretty bad. So there is no place for a guy like him with a huge negative on court value and significant trade value next year if you really want to contend. You can afford a rookie or two if they are neutral or slightly positive (such as guys like Lamelo or Haliburton. They are miles better than Wiseman so that there is almost 0% chance that Wiseman becomes better than year 1 Lamelo or Haliburton next year.)

I don't know that he would have much trade value until he shows improvement.

For one thing, I want to hear that he reports to training camp with added muscle and how he was living in the gym every day over the summer.

Somehow, I get the sense that we won't even get that.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:03 am

azwfan wrote:Its the most important summer of this year, thats for sure.

I dunno the summer he got Iguodala and the summer he got Durant were pretty important I’d say.

yea, I'm sure KD choosing to the sign with the Warriors depended on Myers being the GM or not
azwfan
RealGM

Post#12 » by azwfan » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:51 am

clyde21 wrote:
azwfan wrote:Its the most important summer of this year, thats for sure.

yea, I'm sure KD choosing to the sign with the Warriors depended on Myers being the GM or not

Multi-million, career altering decisions, arent going to be made because of 1 person. The whole org got Durant. Myers was the GM. Cant pick and choose which decisions you get to blame/credit the GM for. If your being honest at least.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#13 » by wco81 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:30 am

I keep asking the Myers haters. Who are you going to get as the replacement?

Any good asst. GMs who've stolen their boss' secrets?

Maybe if Tim Connelly's deal is up, Lacob could throw a lot of money at him. Actually the Nuggets owner has deeper pockets.

Likely we get someone who's an acolyte of Morey.

Or maybe a smaller market club GM looking to get paid more.

Or are they going to promote an ex-player with no experience like Brand and hope for the best?
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#14 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:19 pm

wco81 wrote:I keep asking the Myers haters. Who are you going to get as the replacement?

Maybe if Tim Connelly's deal is up, Lacob could throw a lot of money at him. Actually the Nuggets owner has deeper pockets.

Or are they going to promote an ex-player with no experience like Brand and hope for the best?

I think what you are seeing is more Myers "doubters". But I agree....you can't dump this guy until you have Jerry West waiting in the wings lol
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#15 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:24 pm

BTW....when you have Curry, Wiggins, Green...and you STILL are getting beat by 20-40 points....it's on Kerr. Period.

Let's forget this is our team. Let's pretend we are watching them from afar....different team. Has the team quit on the coach...? We would likely say yes. Does the team look completely confused? Yes.

And if you want to put it on Wiseman...then its't eh coaching decisions to start him on day one....take him out...put him back...let him have fun...but tell him not to do too much....ahem.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#16 » by Money_ » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:39 pm

Kawhi or Gianis..... game changers.

Give them anyone not named Steph, Klay or Draymond. Heck give them the whole rest of the team.
Those four will attract vets on their own... lol
clyde21
RealGM

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:41 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:BTW....when you have Curry, Wiggins, Green...and you STILL are getting beat by 20-40 points....it's on Kerr. Period.

lol? Kerr just saved Wiggy, who has been essentially a **** net negative player almost his entire career. Wiggy has never looked as good as he does right now under Kerr

but of course, per usual, ya'll willing to throw rocks at literally everyone except Myers...West, Kerr, Lacobs...it's **** hilarious and so weird.
vetmin
Junior
And1: 131

Post#18 » by vetmin » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:10 am

vetmin wrote:The Clippers aren't proven, but Kawhi went through so much trouble to get to LA that I can't see him leaving even if the team got embarrassed again. If, by some extraordinary chance Kawhi developed wandering eyes, it would be financially very difficult for the Warriors to acquire him, if he even wanted to come here. He'd probably go to the Heat or something. The target in that scenario would be Paul George, since if Kawhi leaves, then PG is pointless to keep around. Again though, it's hard for me to imagine Kawhi leaving.

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2021/04/05/report-kawhi-leonard-would-be-intrigued-by-signing-with-heat/

Hmmm. I’m taking it with a grain of salt, but still...
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,864

Post#19 » by 510TWSS » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:21 am

ILOVEIT wrote:
wco81 wrote:I keep asking the Myers haters. Who are you going to get as the replacement?

I think what you are seeing is more Myers "doubters". But I agree....you can't dump this guy until you have Jerry West waiting in the wings lol

Does a slightly less used Michael Dunleavy Jr entice?
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#20 » by and1GS » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:53 am

Agree, I don't think I'm a hater but it's very fair to doubt the FO. We basically burnt the last 2 seasons and only have a partially developed Paschal and Poole to show for it. Compound that with years of late first whiffs and there are definitely cracks in our current strategy.

However, building for a title is very hard. I think most warriors fans are having a hard time accepting that. There will be growing pains and we're in them.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in

Return to Golden State Warriors