ImageImageImage

The Fournier Future

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Re: The Fournier Future 

Post#21 » by LoquaciousLarry » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:47 pm

31to6 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:I really want his nickname to be The Fournicator.

CaliFournierCation

The Fournth Option

Le King of the Fournth

The Chronicles of Fournier
KingofTheClay
Junior
And1: 200

Post#22 » by KingofTheClay » Sun Apr 4, 2021 2:52 pm

Seems like a good player that wants to be in Boston and knows his role

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BFitzMoney
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#23 » by BFitzMoney » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:58 pm

OldCeltics wrote:Hahahhahaha

The trade deadline was an F-

Read some articles, Ainge was aiming for Gordon/Vucevic and struck out on both. He actually had a good offer for Gordon, but didn't provide it in time lol. He literally was late to give the offer.

Fournier is nothing but another guard who needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

Your last sentence isn't even close to true.

As far as Gordon/Vucevic - I think Gordon is overrated and wouldn't have really moved the needle all that much. I don't want Vucevic. I much prefer Rob Williams.

So even saying it's true that Danny really wanted either of those 2 but couldn't get them, I don't agree with the F you give because at least he was able to get Fournier.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#24 » by cloverleaf » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:54 pm

BFitzMoney wrote:

Read some articles, Ainge was aiming for Gordon/Vucevic and struck out on both. He actually had a good offer for Gordon, but didn't provide it in time lol. He literally was late to give the offer.

Fournier is nothing but another guard who needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

As far as Gordon/Vucevic - I think Gordon is overrated and wouldn't have really moved the needle all that much. I don't want Vucevic. I much prefer Rob Williams.

So even saying it's true that Danny really wanted either of those 2 but couldn't get them, I don't agree with the F you give because at least he was able to get Fournier.

I think Fournier, if they can keep him, fits in better than AG with the D-more-than-O-range MS and RW, while his 23 points of 25% usage is also a better fit than Vucevich's 25 points on 30% usage with the Jays and Kemba--though they presumably would have had to give up Smart and a first, at least, for Gordon, or Brown and a first, at least, for Vuch. Better that RW is getting to start anyway.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,995

Post#25 » by 31to6 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 10:07 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
BFitzMoney wrote:

I think Fournier, if they can keep him, fits in better than AG with the D-more-than-O-range MS and RW, while his 23 points of 25% usage is also a better fit than Vucevich's 25 points on 30% usage with the Jays and Kemba--though they presumably would have had to give up Smart and a first, at least, for Gordon, or Brown and a first, at least, for Vuch. Better that RW is getting to start anyway.

The driver of the Vuc-to-BOS train agrees with this take.

Still wanted an athletic PF type who can defend, like Gordon, but maybe we’ll draft one, some day, or maybe Grant will stop being fat.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#26 » by OldCeltics » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:24 am

bisme37 wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:

did you watch the game last night? He made like 75 threes in a row Klay Thompson style, barely having the ball in his hands at all.

Against one of the worst teams in the league. Where as prior 2 games he did nothing.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#27 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:52 am

One positive - Fournier already looks better at tossing alley oops to Timelord better than almost anyone else on the team.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,938

Post#28 » by Fierce1 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:53 am

Gomes3PC wrote:One positive - Fournier already looks better at tossing alley oops to Timelord better than almost anyone else on the team.

Simply put, Fournier is just a very good basketball player.
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#29 » by robdog_5 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:54 am

I like that he can do a little of everything on offense. He can shoot it off dribble or catch and shoot. Can get to FT line and showed a nice in the lane lefty finish. Also is a willing passer.

He has had some D issues in a couple moments but he has played with effort
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#30 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:58 am

Fierce1 wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:One positive - Fournier already looks better at tossing alley oops to Timelord better than almost anyone else on the team.

Simply put, Fournier is just a very good basketball player.

He's a very good offensive player. He's likely going to get roasted a bit come playoff time when teams start to pick on weak links, but as the 6th man that's not the end of the world.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#31 » by cl2117 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:39 am

The team really just needed another legit rotation piece.

Too many deep rotations with guys who shouldn't be out there. Too much double big lineups. Not enough 3's being taken. Not enough ball movement. Not enough Robert Williams. Not enough defensive effort. Not getting to the line enough.

Fournier helps with all of that. It's not even so much what he does, but what his presence allows others to do. Brad can tighten rotations and with Theis gone lean on RW3. Tatum/Brown have more reason to move the ball with Evan out there. Smart has less reason to shoot. Everyone has a guy they can count on to pass the ball to.

It's the knock on effects of pushing useless 0/0/0/0 stat lines out of lineups magnifying his presence. It only works when things are running smoothly though. Take away the ball movement if Tatum/Brown play too much iso, take away Smart/Kemba shooting less because they don't adapt, take away the shortened rotations because Brad insists on playing 11 guys and it all falls apart. If they can get this right, C's are a tough out against anyone, but with just his stat line and not the knock on effects Fournier isn't enough of a difference maker.

If he re-signs on a reasonable deal then the trade will be an absolute steal. I have a feeling he gets overpaid and becomes a danger of being an albatross not worthy of having, but if they can keep it in the Harrison Barnes $18-20m range, he'll be a great roleplayer and better trade filler down the line. Problem is if this works out he definitely gets paid and so we're a victim of our own success.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,652

Post#32 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:39 am

Random stat: It took Jaylen 118 games to get his first 5-assist game. Fournier did it in his fourth. :D
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,995

Post#33 » by 31to6 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:34 pm

Homeboy knows how to play and this team needed that!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#34 » by vct33 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:09 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:I think move itself really can’t be graded until the offseason. If he leaves it’s an utter fail of the tpe. On paper he should fit and we’ve seen glimpses last night against houston but if it’s a 29 game rental that doesn’t overall move the needle on our season then who cares.

This exactly. This thread ended here as far as I’m concerned.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,873

Post#35 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:11 pm

vct33 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:I think move itself really can’t be graded until the offseason. If he leaves it’s an utter fail of the tpe. On paper he should fit and we’ve seen glimpses last night against houston but if it’s a 29 game rental that doesn’t overall move the needle on our season then who cares.

It's not like the Celtics and Ainge let players walk for nothing :roll:
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#36 » by RickyDizzle » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:34 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
vct33 wrote:

If he's going to sign elsewhere into someones cap space, you can always make it a sign and trade and get... Wait for it... Another TPE!
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,873

Post#37 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:54 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
vct33 wrote:

If he's going to sign elsewhere into someones cap space, you can always make it a sign and trade and get... Wait for it... Another TPE!

Sounds good but in reality if you do a sign and trade you have to deal with the tax apron of somewhere around $140 million next year. Celtics already have $131 million in guaranteed salaries for next year for 11 players. Going to be tougher to get another TPE, fill out the team and stay under the tax apron.

Probably means Fournier will be a little overpaid. Good for him.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,863

Post#38 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:55 pm

Fourier isn't quite as good all around as Hayward, but he's not bad-- and he's a better shooter than Hayward.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#39 » by cloverleaf » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:59 pm

31to6 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
BFitzMoney wrote:

The driver of the Vuc-to-BOS train agrees with this take.

Still wanted an athletic PF type who can defend, like Gordon, but maybe we’ll draft one, some day, or maybe Grant will stop being fat.

I think Grant, Smart and Thompson have all underperformed at various stages of the season because of their chubbiness. Smart seems to be have rounded (or unrounded) into shape; who knows where Thompson on that front when we see him play next; and Grant has struggled enough for me to think that he ought to try the trim and ripped "best version of himself" to see if that works better for him as a pro. Teague admitted that he wasn't playing well until he recommitted himself to the gym--and of course that's a moot point here now anyway. That's enough of the team to make me wonder whether Stevens and the training staff have been as effective as they could be in terms of team conditioning and discipline on that count.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,671

Post#40 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:04 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:It's not like the Celtics and Ainge let players walk for nothing :roll:

Sounds good but in reality if you do a sign and trade you have to deal with the tax apron of somewhere around $140 million next year. Celtics already have $131 million in guaranteed salaries for next year for 11 players. Going to be tougher to get another TPE, fill out the team and stay under the tax apron.

Probably means Fournier will be a little overpaid. Good for him.

Strictly speaking, it's only a guy who's incoming on a sign-and-trade who triggers the hard cap. So signing Fourier vs. trading for a non-FA is a wash, dollar-for-dollar, under the cap.

That said, at least half the ideas for acquiring expensive players usually include incoming S&Ts.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics