Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Re: Release JMac? 

Post#21 » by SO_MONEY » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:36 pm

Jedzz wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:C'mon. No.

Didn't you assure me once that he would have his twoway deal converted to at least a minimum by now?

No.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#22 » by TheZachAttack » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:41 pm

Jedzz wrote:
winforlose wrote:
In a season where the wolves are short on PGs they are simply not releasing an 80,000 dollar contract. Just isn’t going to happen. As for fairness to JMAC he just got a start last night. Will probably again tonight (assuming Rubio is out.) Every team needs cheap contracts with guys who can give you something. JMAC has flaws, but he is also young, he has a ceiling we would like for him to break through. Look at Omari Spellman. We wanted him, he didn’t want us, no one else wanted him, he fell of a cliff. I know it isn’t as simple as that, but my point is teams aren’t handing anyone minutes, especially an I drafted PG who cannot even get regular rotation minutes on the worst team in the league.

Bottom line, JMAC will hopefully resign with us, find more of a role and break through his ceiling. If not, there is always semi pro.

Have you not heard Finch say this offense doesn't need Point Guards to operate?
Has Edwards ever given you any indication that he needs a rest?
Nobody else could fill in as fake point guard when it's necessary?

You said bottom line hopefully he stays and "breaks through his ceiling". What ceiling is that? He broke through last year and nobody cares. There may be nothing he could do to change minds here and he's a worse fit now this season. What good is an 80k body if you don't need it?

Come on, now? When has Finch said that about point guards?
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#23 » by Jedzz » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:50 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
winforlose wrote:
In a season where the wolves are short on PGs they are simply not releasing an 80,000 dollar contract. Just isn’t going to happen. As for fairness to JMAC he just got a start last night. Will probably again tonight (assuming Rubio is out.) Every team needs cheap contracts with guys who can give you something. JMAC has flaws, but he is also young, he has a ceiling we would like for him to break through. Look at Omari Spellman. We wanted him, he didn’t want us, no one else wanted him, he fell of a cliff. I know it isn’t as simple as that, but my point is teams aren’t handing anyone minutes, especially an I drafted PG who cannot even get regular rotation minutes on the worst team in the league.

Bottom line, JMAC will hopefully resign with us, find more of a role and break through his ceiling. If not, there is always semi pro.

You said bottom line hopefully he stays and "breaks through his ceiling". What ceiling is that? He broke through last year and nobody cares. There may be nothing he could do to change minds here and he's a worse fit now this season. What good is an 80k body if you don't need it?

Since he was hired, in one of his post game interviews I think. You can go search it out if you don't believe me.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#24 » by Jedzz » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:58 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:C'mon. No.

Didn't you assure me once that he would have his twoway deal converted to at least a minimum by now?

No.

Sure you did. You passed it off in a matter of fact sory of way. As if it would be silly to suggest it wouldn't happen, and this is consistent with how you post. So I'm not confusing you with anyone else.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#25 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:14 pm

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Since he was hired, in one of his post game interviews I think. You can go search it out if you don't believe me.

No, he did not. I did a google search querying for that quote and it is nowhere to be found. If you are referring to my initiating comment, that is part of a role that a PG can have or that is needed in an offense--but that doesn't mean that a PG cannot have a bigger role in a Finch offense. I mean this is so lazy. If Finch hates PGs, why did Toronto have so much success offensively running 2 PG lineups with Lowry and Van Fleet being two of the biggest roles in that offense? Jrue Holiday in New Orleans HAD a tone of success in a Finch offense. Jamal Murray in Denver? Also, a ton of success.

There is no truth to a statement that Finch does not care about PGs or think they are important. The only truth to this statement is that Finch wants to put the ball in the hands of the teams best offensive players as much as possible. If a team only has mediocre or below average PGs and has wings and bigs that are much better offensive players.... he's going to put the ball in the wings and bigs hands more than the PGs hands in the half court. That's a pretty basic line of thinking though. Why would you not want to put the ball in your best players hands as much as possible?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,823

Post#26 » by Domejandro » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:01 pm

This thread is ridiculous, good teams are good teams because they have the luxury of having good depth.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,293

Post#27 » by winforlose » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:40 pm

Tonight we are missing Dlo, Beasley, Nowell, and Rubio. Of course we should bench JMAC as well and have Ant play all 48 minutes. I mean honestly, nobody is going to ignore the difference a true PG makes especially with second unit players. Just because you can run the offense through KAT and Ant doesn’t mean you always will or should. The entire scheme is designed to kick out to open shooters. We have so many below average shooters or decent shooters in a regression season that we cannot dismiss any sliver of offense from anyone. JMAC will play 40 minutes tonight and barring injury this will be an excellent audition for his next contract, regardless of whether he stays here or goes elsewhere.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#28 » by Jedzz » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:54 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

No, he did not. I did a google search querying for that quote and it is nowhere to be found.

Well then one of two realities exist.
A. You suck at googling
or
B. You overestimate Google's powers to help you avoid hard work in your thirst for knowledge. Such as expecting google to extract the words out of a video, or for media to report every word said by a coach. Hint: Start watching post game interviews.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#29 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:28 pm

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

No, he did not. I did a google search querying for that quote and it is nowhere to be found.

A. You suck at googling
or
B. You overestimate Google's powers to help you avoid hard work in your thirst for knowledge. Such as expecting google to extract the words out of a video, or for media to report every word said by a coach. Hint: Start watching post game interviews.

I mean you didn't answer the main point of the response. If Finch doesn't care about PGs, why have PGs succeeded and been a big part of every offense he has ever run? Holiday, Murray, Lowry, and Van Fleet have all been #1 or #2 in PPG for their team in a Finch offense.

Since I suck at googling, can you send me the link of that post-game transcript or audio?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#30 » by Jedzz » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:51 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

A. You suck at googling
or

I mean you didn't answer the main point of the response. If Finch doe...

Go move goal posts somewhere else. Don't want to search it out or believe I watched him say it, then live in ignorance. I don't care.

People here even used that statement of his right afterwards in their quests to remove the need for Dlo. So do it already. Dump all the point guards or stfu I say. It was maybe one of the dumbest statements I've heard said recently. Even if everything else he says sounds good, that one reminded me nothing is normal here. Not likely going to forget it this quickly even if he does the moment some injuries happen and their next great Rookie shows he can't hack it himself for 40 minutes. But an undrafted player not worth a contract can. This franchise can't get more ridiculous and some of you are definitely a part of that.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:41 pm

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
A. You suck at googling
or

Go move goal posts somewhere else. Don't want to search it out or believe I watched him say it, then live in ignorance. I don't care.

People here even used that statement of his right afterwards in their quests to remove the need for Dlo. So do it already. Dump all the point guards or stfu I say. It was maybe one of the dumbest statements I've heard said recently. Even if everything else he says sounds good, that one reminded me nothing is normal here. Not likely going to forget it this quickly even if he does the moment some injuries happen and their next great Rookie shows he can't hack it himself for 40 minutes. But an undrafted player not worth a contract can. This franchise can't get more ridiculous and some of you are definitely a part of that.

I'll make my post shorter so there isn't anything else to quote. Let's say I believe that Finch thinks that. Why has every Finch offense been heavily reliant on PGs and PG scoring (Holiday, Lowry, Van Fleet, Murray) if Finch doesn't think PGs matter? Help me understand why he's always made PGs a big part of his offense. I'm looking to learn from you.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#32 » by SO_MONEY » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:12 pm

Jedzz wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

No.

Sure you did. You passed it off in a matter of fact sory of way. As if it would be silly to suggest it wouldn't happen, and this is consistent with how you post. So I'm not confusing you with anyone else.

Nope.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#33 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:39 pm

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
A. You suck at googling
or

I also went through the Finch fix it list thread, the D lo thread, and the Chris Finch is hired thread from the beginning to the end and haven't found 1 post similar to the narrative you are mentioning. Instead I have found Finch quotes such as this:

Chris Finch on D'Angelo Russell:

"We studied D'Angelo a lot in the draft back in Houston."

Finch looked over at Gersson Rosas when he said this.

Interesting nugget that suggests Rosas had serious interest in Russell dating back to the 2015 Draft.

— Dane Moore (@DaneMooreNBA) February 22, 2021
Read on Twitter?s=21

Finch studied DLo in the draft.

Thinks there’s an “elite” playmaker in there, even beyond what he’s shown

— jace frederick (@JaceFrederick) February 22, 2021

I also found this twitter video of Finch talking about D Lo

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1363995754730250246%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2055096start%3D240

To paraphrase he calls D Lo

-Elite playmaker
-Good shotmaker/ability to be a closer. Gets to where-ever he wants to on the floor and gets his shot off
-Wants him to get back to playmaking and wants to build around two-man game with Towns
-Thinks there is more in there than D Lo has shown
-Most good offenses start with the head of the snake and that's the point guard. They create the tempo and the purpose of the

I mean, Finch's comments in relation to D Lo and the PG position could not be more the opposite of what you have said.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,807

Post#34 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:53 pm

Jedzz wrote:People here even used that statement of his right afterwards in their quests to remove the need for Dlo. So do it already. Dump all the point guards or stfu I say. It was maybe one of the dumbest statements I've heard said recently. Even if everything else he says sounds good, that one reminded me nothing is normal here. Not likely going to forget it this quickly even if he does the moment some injuries happen and their next great Rookie shows he can't hack it himself for 40 minutes. But an undrafted player not worth a contract can. This franchise can't get more ridiculous and some of you are definitely a part of that.

Don't misconstrue what Finch has said.

Spoiler:

He's talking about the John Stockton/Steve Nash type PG who the team needs to run everything. He's not saying to build a team with just SGs, SFs and Cs. PGs are still needed, they just aren't asked to do what a lot of systems ask of their PGs.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#35 » by Jedzz » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:34 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:People here even used that statement of his right afterwards in their quests to remove the need for Dlo. So do it already. Dump all the point guards or stfu I say. It was maybe one of the dumbest statements I've heard said recently. Even if everything else he says sounds good, that one reminded me nothing is normal here. Not likely going to forget it this quickly even if he does the moment some injuries happen and their next great Rookie shows he can't hack it himself for 40 minutes. But an undrafted player not worth a contract can. This franchise can't get more ridiculous and some of you are definitely a part of that.

Don't misconstrue what Finch has said.

Spoiler:

He's talking about the John Stockton/Steve Nash type PG who the team needs to run everything. He's not saying to build a team with just SGs, SFs and Cs. PGs are still needed, they just aren't asked to do what a lot of systems ask of their PGs.

He's not saying anything different then Rosas and Ryan started the season with. "everyone" was the talk before the season. Stupid is stupid and it's been carrying forward to the new coach speak. And yet...In the Philly game we didn't see that very much and the team had a chance. The game before they sure were. Everyone handling it so you don't need a point guard and because you are playing that way they should keep the point guards off the court.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#36 » by Jedzz » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:36 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

I also went through the Finch fix it list thread, the D lo thread, and the Chris Finch is hired thread from the beginning to the end and haven't found 1 post similar to the narrative you are mentioning.

I told you to go watch the post game interviews if you want to find it. Klomp already found someone that wrote a little about what was said. He found something pretty quick. So next time you think I'm lying, stop assuming and either look harder or stop calling me a liar.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:59 pm

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I also went through the Finch fix it list thread, the D lo thread, and the Chris Finch is hired thread from the beginning to the end and haven't found 1 post similar to the narrative you are mentioning.

I told you to go watch the post game interviews if you want to find it. Klomp already found someone that wrote a little about what was said. He found something pretty quick. So next time you think I'm lying, stop assuming and either look harder or stop calling me a liar.

I mean Finch did not say what you said he said. I was just asking you for help finding that info because I hadn’t seen it. It looks like Klimt pulled that from The Athletic which is behind a paywall.

Finches comments seem to be in relation to concerns around injuries to multiple/all of D Lo, Rubio, McLaughlin (not sure exactly when the statement was)and a lack of clear elite lead ball handler on the roster He also doesn’t say that he doesn’t need a PG, he’s just saying that in his system he can structure if to give all players freedom to try to push the ball up the court.

It’s clear from every past implementation of his system that if given talent at the PG position, he’s going to put them in a position to do well. He’s also not saying that he wants to run a system with no point guards, he’s just saying his system can still function if there is not still a true PG. There is no statement that suggests that’s his ideal implementation of his system.

Very little in his statement has to do with what you stated. You’re in your right to take it and try to assert that is what he’s trying to say, but it’s clear that’s not what his intent is—you’re projecting your intent.

If you want to make a post and support your argument around the idea that the Wolves SHOULD move forward with no PG because that’s what would be best going forward—that’s a fair post.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#38 » by Jedzz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:22 am

Domejandro wrote:This thread is ridiculous, good teams are good teams because they have the luxury of having good depth.

Which good team are you talking about? The one at the bottom of the standings?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#39 » by Jedzz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:23 am

TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

I mean Finch did not say what you said he said. I was just asking you for help finding that info because I hadn’t seen it. It looks like Klimt pulled that from The Athletic which is behind a paywall. .

Youtube is free. Post games videos are all over it.

Keep calling me a liar when you are the lazy one. BTW, what Klomp found is not exactly what I was referring to. Very close and maybe more info than what was said in a quick postgame answer that I watched. It's something someone at the Athletic may have sought out more information from Finch directly about regarding it though, or else they are adding their own spin on it. Reading that it sounds like it was about a different game, though I'm not certain of that. Some good reporting going on behind that Wall though it looks like. At least haven't noticed much of anyone else talking about such things.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#40 » by Jedzz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:38 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
No.

Nope.

Oh well. I don't care enough to confirm. Have it your way.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves