ImageImageImageImageImage

Bullets sign Wes Unseld Jr. to 4-year contract to become the franchise's 25th head coach!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Who should be the next Bullets head coach? (2021 Edition) 

Post#81 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:56 am

doclinkin wrote:
Eli Babak wrote:I wish they'd fire Brooks right now. Trade Lopez (and any other vet) and hopefully Bertans too. Figure things out with Westbrick and Beal in the summer. Tell the interim coach to put youngsters (Winston, Brown, Bonga) in rotation. And this time do a proper search for a coach instead of signing someone based on their reputation or just being a nice guy...

You don't fire him now if there is a chance you are bringing in a new GM. A new guy will want to make his own choice. I personally think the Masai rumors were simply floated by his agent as a means to start the Raptors thinking about what it will cost to retain him. And if he chooses to move on there will be a bidding war for his services, where almost every team in the league will ante up to sit at the table. If the Wizards have any chance (or interest) then the job becomes more attractive with: Beal, a high lottery pick, and an open seat at coach.

So you’re telling me there’s a chance?

I don’t think Tommy Shepard has done bad work.Deliberately non-committal either way
Bye bye Beal.
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#82 » by gesa2 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:41 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Mizerooskie wrote:Has anyone mentioned Charles Lee yet?

From an ESPN piece in September:

Few assistant coaches saw a bigger season-to-season jump in our informal poll than Charles Lee, 35, who's in his sixth season working under Mike Budenholzer in Atlanta and now Milwaukee. Fans of Lee, who played professionally overseas before spending a couple of years as an equity trader on Wall Street, tout him as a five-tool coach who is every bit as comfortable having meaningful conversations with a backup point guard as he is dining with a team owner. Those who have worked with him say he has an intuitive sense of how to inspire improvement from players but also understands high-level strategy and the preparation required to implement it. He is, in the words of one peer, someone who is "categorically going to be an NBA head coach."

I'm one that doesn't think this bit matters, but: Born in DC, grew up in Gaithersburg, went to Quince Orchard.

Here's a lengthy interview from a German hoops reporter with Lee. He's a really impressive guy. Well-traveled, humble, introspective, relatable. I'm on board.

I would go thumbs up

Nice article, he seems like a good grounded guy. But he also sounds like he’s a few steps/ years away from becoming a head coach.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#83 » by NatP4 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 10:22 pm

I’ve only mentioned two candidates: Jay Wright and Charles Lee. I think either of them would be a great choice.

Lee is extremely impressive.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Re: Who should be the next Bullets head coach? (2021 Edition - POLL UPDATE!) 

Post#84 » by FAH1223 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 11:08 pm

I can only have 9 poll options

So, I put the names everyone keeps yapping about

I added Ime Udoka who is another Spurs guy who's with the Nets right now

And yes, I had to put Robert Pack cause that would be a SO WIZARDS HIRE
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#85 » by Frichuela » Sun Apr 4, 2021 11:36 pm

I voted for Kenny Atkinson...though I like Jay Wright and a few of the others. Honestly, anyone but Brooks!!!
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#86 » by FAH1223 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:06 am

We need someone who will not damage young players

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
RealGM

Post#87 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:12 am

Of the names you have in the poll, I will say David Blatt. Lebron ran him off. The guy can coach. Deni will maximize and achieve under this coach IMO.

Of the people you haven't listed I would say DAVE JOERGER for the very reasons docklinkin listed many years ago.

MY SUGGESTION: Russell Westbrook, as a player/coach. It's worked in the past with Bill Russell. Don't know of any others.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#88 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:15 am

FAH1223 wrote:We need someone who will not damage young players

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Satoransky is doing quite well in Chicago:

https://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=401307546

Tomas Satoransky had a season-high 19 points and 11 assists as Chicago won for the first time since acquiring Vucevic before the trade deadline.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#89 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:17 am

Brooks was petulant with Porter Jr if that's true.

My OPINION is the guy is blessed to be getting paid TO BE A FAIR AT BEST TO BAD COACH.
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#90 » by FAH1223 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:28 am

Tomas Satoransky had a season-high 19 points and 11 assists as Chicago won for the first time since acquiring Vucevic before the trade deadline.

CCJ, Sato is quietly shooting 50-40-90 this season :o

He is playing for his job as his contract is only partially guaranteed next season.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#91 » by NatP4 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:30 am

I sincerely hope that Otto Porter story is not true. Wow
RealGM

Post#92 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:34 am

FAH1223 wrote:

CCJ, Sato is quietly shooting 50-40-90 this season :o

He is playing for his job as his contract is only partially guaranteed next season.

Yeah.

Brooks is a moron. He's a complete TOOL. I make this personal because at my resume, having been homeless, and a veteran, I don't feel like lying or placating the egos of very rich people. With that kind of $$ you can afford to delegate for help. NO he's prideful and loses and denies the thought of Satoransky being good. Same with Troy Brown Jr.

Deni Avidja will NEVER be a facilitator on a Brooks/Westbrooks team. Not unless an epiphany occurs.

Tomas WAS EVERYBODY EATS. The same as LINSANITY. Few games. Teams hadn't game planned against. But make NO MISTAKE the efficiency was through the roof with efficient shooters with size who can distribute. Phil Jackson would have LOVED Satoransky in Tex Winters' triangle offense.

50/40/90

Best thing in the world was TBjr got traded for his career's sake.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#93 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:37 am

FAH1223 wrote:We need someone who will not damage young players

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Small minds talk about people.
Average minds talk about things/events.
Great minds talk about ideas.

Troy wanted some specifics or tangible goals. Brooks wanted to be left alone and made it personal. Small mind.
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#94 » by payitforward » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:06 am

You know what would be fun? If we went back to take a look at the thread from 5 years ago when so many people here were excited by the possibility of hiring Brooks.

Tell me, all you who were excited that Scott Brooks would be our coach, all you who were convinced of the value he would add... what have you learned from the fact that you were wrong about Scott Brooks?

What have I learned? I didn't think he would be terrible. I didn't know what he would be. I certainly didn't think he would suddenly make the Wizards a better team.

I didn't vote in this poll. Only 5 people have voted in it. Maybe that's a good thing? Maybe it means we don't really think there's a coach candidate out there who is likely to make this team "good." Though it's hard to imagine one who would make it any worse!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#95 » by FAH1223 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:32 am

payitforward wrote:You know what would be fun? If we went back to take a look at the thread from 5 years ago when so many people here were excited by the possibility of hiring Brooks.

Tell me, all you who were excited that Scott Brooks would be our coach, all you who were convinced of the value he would add... what have you learned from the fact that you were wrong about Scott Brooks?

What have I learned? I didn't think he would be terrible. I didn't know what he would be. I certainly didn't think he would suddenly make the Wizards a better team.

I didn't vote in this poll. Only 5 people have voted in it. Maybe that's a good thing? Maybe it means we don't really think there's a coach candidate out there who is likely to make this team "good." Though it's hard to imagine one who would make it any worse!

I just put the poll together a couple hours ago, PIF.

And I hated that Brooks got hired without the organization even interviewing anyone else. Remember, Randy Wittman was let go and Brooks was hired within like 48 hours with that ridiculous 5 year $35M contract. All because Grunfeld knew Brooks from their time in the 1990s with the Knicks. :crazy:
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#96 » by montestewart » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:36 am

FAH1223 wrote:
payitforward wrote:You know what would be fun? If we went back to take a look at the thread from 5 years ago when so many people here were excited by the possibility of hiring Brooks.

I just put the poll together a couple hours ago, PIF.

And I hated that Brooks got hired without the organization even interviewing anyone else. Remember, Randy Wittman was let go and Brooks was hired within like 48 hours with that ridiculous 5 year $35M contract. All because Grunfeld knew Brooks from their time in the 1990s with the Knicks. :crazy:

Yeah, I'd have to look at the thread, but my memory is that most were no more excited by that hiring than they were about the Saunders hiring. It may have been market price for a big name but people generally thought it was still a huge overpay and too long commitment for a guy who rode undeniable talent to a good record, but didn't appear to be add much to it. His reputation for being good in developing young players seems to have resulted from three alpha players who were going to be good regardless.

Get rid of Brooks, get rid of Sheppard, you still got Terd, overpaying, making too long a commitment, refusing to makes major changes, refusing to second guess, refusing to do or say anything which could be interpreted as an admission of failure. As long as it makes money, nothing is forcing his hand, so he'll continue to be guided by misplaced pride in himself, rather than pride in his team.

"I made all the right moves, but the team somehow failed, so I'll just have to keep making all the right moves, checking the condiments and urinal cakes, hiring the best talent in the business, and...championship! That's why we fight."
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#97 » by montestewart » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:43 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Of the names you have in the poll, I will say David Blatt. Lebron ran him off. The guy can coach. Deni will maximize and achieve under this coach IMO.

Of the people you haven't listed I would say DAVE JOERGER for the very reasons docklinkin listed many years ago.

MY SUGGESTION: Russell Westbrook, as a player/coach. It's worked in the past with Bill Russell. Don't know of any others.

Player coach used to be a lot more common, probably because it was a cheaper way to go. Lenny Wilkins and Dave DeBusschere come to mind. A lot of player coaches were just filling in after a coach was fired, so Westbrook could do the same. He's not in a class with Russell though, so I wouldn't necessarily expect the same results.

I hate Westbrook's game most of the time, but he seems a solid citizen, and he seems to understand basketball better than his games indicates. If Westbrook the coach spent less time on the court, and focused on the development of young players, rather than ball hogging heroics, it could work.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#98 » by Illuminaire » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:27 am

I'm kind of curious what I said back then. I'm pretty sure I thought he was a mediocre coach, though I recall him impressing me in a podcast a few months before he was hired, where it sounded like he'd learned a lot from his failures at OKC.

Hahahaha. Nope.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#99 » by NatP4 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:41 am

You could replace Brooks with any high school basketball coach and experience absolutely no drop off. It’s pretty pathetic.

I seriously doubt anyone on this board had Scott Brooks at the top of their list. Most people just try to be optimistic after the fact.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,892

Post#100 » by TGW » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:11 am

The same exact criticism of Brooks now is literally why he was fired in OKC. It's like the Wizards FO did no research when they hired him. They made their mind up based on OKC getting to a finals series with a prime Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, and James Harden off the bench.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.

Return to Washington Wizards