Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

slos
Starter
And1: 1,191

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Teague Signed 

Post#1721 » by slos » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:26 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:
slos wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:When can we extend DDV?

Probably in the offseason. I would be happy with a 4y/50mil.

Kennard got 4/64 with year 4 being a TO. I’d expect DDV gets about the same.

You are probably right. That's why I would be happy with a 4/50 :roll:
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,986

Post#1722 » by Daver » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:35 pm

slos wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:
slos wrote:
Probably in the offseason. I would be happy with a 4y/50mil.

Question is do you think the FO wants to extend him or you think they might try to upgrade( if they can)
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,375

Post#1723 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:45 pm

Donte's future was my first thought when the extension news came through, even though I think we all knew it was inevitable. Obviously they almost traded him in the offseason, so the FO clearly isn't treating him as deal-breaking asset in the vast majority of situations. Honestly have no idea what he'd command on the open market at this point. Anything north of an Evan Fournier type deal (16-17 mil per) and I'd say it'd be better to maximum your return and let some other team pay him that. But we have such limited resources for upgrading the roster that I wouldn't be surprised if they match most offers. You're gonna be in the luxury tax for the next 2-3 years whether you pay him or not.
All The Bucks
Junior
And1: 1,265

Post#1724 » by All The Bucks » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:48 pm

Stay on topic and stop personal insults MD
"Your values is in disarray, prioritizin' horribly. Unhappy with the riches 'cause you're piss poor morally" - Abraham Lincoln
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,434

Post#1725 » by emunney » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:54 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Donte's future was my first thought when the extension news came through, even though I think we all knew it was inevitable. Obviously they almost traded him in the offseason, so the FO clearly isn't treating him as deal-breaking asset in the vast majority of situations. Honestly have no idea what he'd command on the open market at this point. Anything north of an Evan Fournier type deal (16-17 mil per) and I'd say it'd be better to maximum your return and let some other team pay him that. But we have such limited resources for upgrading the roster that I wouldn't be surprised if they match most offers. You're gonna be in the luxury tax for the next 2-3 years whether you pay him or not.

I want to see how the year plays out, but I really want Jrue to be able to work off ball more -- still function as a playmaker, but start sets off ball -- because I think he's a better offensive weapon when he doesn't have the responsibilities of organizing and initiating the offense. Donte's making progress to the extent that I can see him growing into that role, but I need to see more progress before I'd be comfortable locking him up proactively.

If I had to make the decision today, I'd try to trade him in a lateral move for a point guard. Not an easy call. We're all out of those.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#1726 » by jschligs » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:45 pm

Daver wrote:
slos wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:

Question is do you think the FO wants to extend him or you think they might try to upgrade( if they can)

How the **** do we upgrade with literally no cap space? Donte is our clear first choice. And guess what, he is a fantastic low-end starter.
slos
Starter
And1: 1,191

Post#1727 » by slos » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:46 pm

Daver wrote:
slos wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:

I'm pretty sure DDV will be a Buck next season too. Having a 4,5 mil starter in a team where the Big 3 + dead money costs 110 mil is extremely valuable. My guess is that Bucks will extend Donte in the offseason and look to upgrade in 2022. Expiring 14mil Brook + Donte 15ish mil salary + 2022 late FRP could become a good package in 2022 offseason to create a Big 4.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1728 » by emunney » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:23 pm

jschligs wrote:
Daver wrote:
slos wrote:

How the **** do we upgrade with literally no cap space? Donte is our clear first choice. And guess what, he is a fantastic low-end starter.

You trade him for a similar quality player whose skillset better complements your stars.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#1729 » by jschligs » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:25 pm

emunney wrote:
jschligs wrote:
Daver wrote:

You trade him for a similar quality player whose skillset better complements your stars.

And who is that? If I'm being honest there aren't many options that are realistic. People just assume SGs are growing on trees out there.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1730 » by emunney » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:36 pm

jschligs wrote:
emunney wrote:
jschligs wrote:

And who is that? If I'm being honest there aren't many options that are realistic. People just assume SGs are growing on trees out there.

It'd be a PG. Brunson has been my suggestion.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,520

Post#1731 » by raferfenix » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:38 pm

slos wrote:I'm pretty sure DDV will be a Buck next season too. Having a 4,5 mil starter in a team where the Big 3 + dead money costs 110 mil is extremely valuable. My guess is that Bucks will extend Donte in the offseason and look to upgrade in 2022. Expiring 14mil Brook + Donte 15ish mil salary + 2022 late FRP could become a good package in 2022 offseason to create a Big 4.

I could see this too.

In theory we could package Donte + BroLo + 2021 2nd (or something along those lines) for a shorter term upgrade.

But I don't know if that would yield an addition that would move the needle -- at least unless there's a team out there who values BroLo significantly beyond contract filler.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1732 » by emunney » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:39 pm

Have been angling to get this dude on the Bucks for a long time.

Read on Twitter
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,921

Post#1733 » by soxperry » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:47 pm

raferfenix wrote:
slos wrote:I'm pretty sure DDV will be a Buck next season too. Having a 4,5 mil starter in a team where the Big 3 + dead money costs 110 mil is extremely valuable. My guess is that Bucks will extend Donte in the offseason and look to upgrade in 2022. Expiring 14mil Brook + Donte 15ish mil salary + 2022 late FRP could become a good package in 2022 offseason to create a Big 4.

I could see this too.

In theory we could package Donte + BroLo + 2021 2nd (or something along those lines) for a shorter term upgrade.

But I don't know if that would yield an addition that would move the needle -- at least unless there's a team out there who values BroLo significantly beyond contract filler.

I want to see Donte in the playoffs again before i think about trading him. I can understand last year. First full season, bubble, first playoffs. There are no excuses this year, though.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,520

Post#1734 » by raferfenix » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:49 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Donte's future was my first thought when the extension news came through, even though I think we all knew it was inevitable. Obviously they almost traded him in the offseason, so the FO clearly isn't treating him as deal-breaking asset in the vast majority of situations. Honestly have no idea what he'd command on the open market at this point. Anything north of an Evan Fournier type deal (16-17 mil per) and I'd say it'd be better to maximum your return and let some other team pay him that. But we have such limited resources for upgrading the roster that I wouldn't be surprised if they match most offers. You're gonna be in the luxury tax for the next 2-3 years whether you pay him or not.

If the free agent market is so wild that Donte could get a Fournier type deal then yeah I could see the Bucks taking a different tact.

That would be a big contrast between him signing a more reasonable extension this offseason to guarantee an injury doesn't derail his first big long term deal.

However Donte also might not be feeling a need to go the extra mile for the Bucks considering we almost traded him already.

If he could get a higher tier contract as a restricted free agent the following year he might end up betting on himself.

The Bucks wouldn't necessarily need to trade him if we would consider paying him more if he earns more, but if it's more like a Brogdon situation where we just don't think he's a good enough fit to warrant it, then maybe we cash in his asset value beforehand.
thonnisbeastley
Pro Prospect
And1: 673

Post#1735 » by thonnisbeastley » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:31 pm

If Donte gets any offer at or over $12M per we should let someone else overpay him.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1736 » by emunney » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:43 pm

IMO if you can't find a good trade, you match anything. No talent leaves this roster without positive compensation.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,590

Post#1737 » by tski1972 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:31 pm

If my math is correct, which it most likely isn’t, I believe 93% of the Bucks cap will be spent on the starting five next year assuming it’s the five that are starting now.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,500

Post#1738 » by ShootingtheJ » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:46 pm

emunney wrote:
jschligs wrote:
emunney wrote:

It'd be a PG. Brunson has been my suggestion.

Aren't we trending towards more switching? Wouldn't work great with a small guard like Brunson.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach

Post#1739 » by ShootingtheJ » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:47 pm

tski1972 wrote:If my math is correct, which it most likely isn’t, I believe 93% of the Bucks cap will be spent on the starting five next year assuming it’s the five that are starting now.

Well done Bucks.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach

Post#1740 » by ShootingtheJ » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:50 pm

emunney wrote:Have been angling to get this dude on the Bucks for a long time.

Read on Twitter

I never would have guessed shooting would be the cause of his demise, but he's shot just 30% from 3 both this year and last.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks