ImageImageImage

2021 Playoff and Offseason Speculation - the playoffs. PLAYOFFS????

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Will we extend Bridges or will Sarver not pay 4 players big money for 1 or 2 years?

Yes, we extend him or at least match any offer as he is part of core
88%
No, Sarver will want to trade him to save money so little salary coming back, draft pick
13%

Total votes: 24

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Re: 2021 Season Speculation - Roster complete? Buyout candidates? 

Post#2661 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Apr 4, 2021 9:09 pm

I was a fan of Haliburton and Kira Lewis so I would have been cool drafting them. But I wonder if the suns are just out of the developing a young PG game for the foreseeable future. It's typically not an easy task and hard to win while doing it and the suns are going to be in win now mode. Like I expect the PG after Paul to be another vet they acquire via trade or FA.

Hope Smith is good. After not taking 'he who won't be named' a few years ago I realized life's to short to rue over decisions I had no part in. Just hope the guy they take pans out.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Adrao
Junior
And1: 195

Post#2662 » by Adrao » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:41 am

It depends on how Booker improve his playmaking skills. Two years next to CP3 must help him to be smarter and then our PG could be a Sophomore.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,080

Post#2663 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:27 am

Adrao wrote:It depends on how Booker improve his playmaking skills. Two years next to CP3 must help him to be smarter and then our PG could be a Sophomore.

I just don't think it's realistic to project Book as a great playmaker. He doesn't have the height and wingspan to get passes over and around everyone. He doesn't have the quickness to get in front of defenses to create open shots on the move. He's not low to the ground, which helps a lot of smaller playmakers keep the ball out of defenders' hands. But the biggest thing is, Book's a scorer more than he is anything else. And guys like that, I just don't know how often they became these high A/TO types.

As for the draft, dayum. Sure wish Smith was showing, and Cam wasn't struggling most of the season, so we could carry some confidence into this draft. I don't know who we should target as I'm not paying attention, but I do know one thing. F positions. Whomever we draft is unlikely to ever play a significant role for us. Just grab the best player.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#2664 » by RunDogGun » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:08 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I was a fan of Haliburton and Kira Lewis so I would have been cool drafting them. But I wonder if the suns are just out of the developing a young PG game for the foreseeable future. It's typically not an easy task and hard to win while doing it and the suns are going to be in win now mode. Like I expect the PG after Paul to be another vet they acquire via trade or FA.

Hope Smith is good. After not taking 'he who won't be named' a few years ago I realized life's to short to rue over decisions I had no part in. Just hope the guy they take pans out.

This is where i am at as well. I figured the Suns want to have an experienced vet PG starting. I also didn't expect Smith to get many minutes this season. He has the work ethic and mentality that is typical of what Jones has been trying to get on our team.
Adrao
Junior
And1: 195

Post#2665 » by Adrao » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:26 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Adrao wrote:It depends on how Booker improve his playmaking skills. Two years next to CP3 must help him to be smarter and then our PG could be a Sophomore.

I just don't think it's realistic to project Book as a great playmaker. He doesn't have the height and wingspan to get passes over and around everyone. He doesn't have the quickness to get in front of defenses to create open shots on the move. He's not low to the ground, which helps a lot of smaller playmakers keep the ball out of defenders' hands. But the biggest thing is, Book's a scorer more than he is anything else. And guys like that, I just don't know how often they became these high A/TO types.

As for the draft, dayum. Sure wish Smith was showing, and Cam wasn't struggling most of the season, so we could carry some confidence into this draft. I don't know who we should target as I'm not paying attention, but I do know one thing. F positions. Whomever we draft is unlikely to ever play a significant role for us. Just grab the best player.
Yes, he is a scorer but I think he can be the man who takes the ball and start the offence, not as a pure PG but I wish he can learn some tricks and be a kind of Harden or Doncic.

I imagine this team in 2022/2023: Booker, Bridges, Johnson, Crowder, Ayton.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#2666 » by Crives » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:45 pm

Lakers are going to be the 7th seed. We really need to finish #1 or #3. Need to win these upcoming Jazz games
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,188

Post#2667 » by King4Day » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:23 pm

SAS on the Suns (it's maybe 2 minutes long or so. The rest is about Lillard).
His points are really the biggest fears I have. The lack of experience concerns me.
DA was trash in the bubble. Playoffs will be an even bigger deal.

https://youtu.be/tj_3xgOGmt0?t=212
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,043

Post#2668 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:20 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

His game has improved so much with a real legit PG too and his game is so much better when he handles less and gets off open shots off of Ayton's screens, whether off a pass or handling.

If we draft well, they could play a significant role. Jokic was a second rounder. FVV was undrafted...the list goes on.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2669 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:23 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I was a fan of Haliburton and Kira Lewis so I would have been cool drafting them. But I wonder if the suns are just out of the developing a young PG game for the foreseeable future. It's typically not an easy task and hard to win while doing it and the suns are going to be in win now mode. Like I expect the PG after Paul to be another vet they acquire via trade or FA.

This is where i am at as well. I figured the Suns want to have an experienced vet PG starting. I also didn't expect Smith to get many minutes this season. He has the work ethic and mentality that is typical of what Jones has been trying to get on our team.

I thought so too but it will come down to cap space. We would need to sign one PRIOR to re-signing Ayton and Bridges in the summer of 2022 and not extend them early..and this would mean Paul is leaving.

The combination of all those things are unlikely. Once we have a Booker max, and Bridges/Ayton likely somewhat near maxes, we will not have a great deal of money to spend on a PG post Paul. Especially if he is here long enough for Cam to have already gotten extended or another contract. Rookie contracts that are legit players are important and have helped teams like Denver, Utah and Toronto stay relevant with a lot of big salaries as they draft well late.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2670 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:26 pm

Crives wrote:Lakers are going to be the 7th seed. We really need to finish #1 or #3. Need to win these upcoming Jazz games

Definitely at least 6th seed. Not sure if Dallas catches them, but yes, it is likely...and then whether LA can pass them back up when AD comes back, and then LeBron.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,188

Post#2671 » by King4Day » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:32 pm

From the general board:

Andrew Bogut on Kelly Oubre saying he wouldn't come off the bench next season: "Warriors players didn't take lightly to those comments. They made it known Iguodala, a Finals MVP was OK with coming off the bench but Kelly MFing Oubre won't. That was to his face from an unknown player in the locker room who was not happy with those comments"

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-basketball-podcast-episode-15-with-mike-procopio/id1541789772?i=1000515744459

Right around the 1:04:00 mark

Shortly beforehand he also talks about a proposed trade where the Pelicans offered the Warriors Lonzo Ball and a pick for Oubre, but turned it down.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2069600&p=90029908#p90029908

I feel like we may have dodged a bullet with Oubre. Seems like he's a 'me first' player/personality.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2672 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:40 pm

King4Day wrote:From the general board:

Andrew Bogut on Kelly Oubre saying he wouldn't come off the bench next season: "Warriors players didn't take lightly to those comments. They made it known Iguodala, a Finals MVP was OK with coming off the bench but Kelly MFing Oubre won't. That was to his face from an unknown player in the locker room who was not happy with those comments"

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-basketball-podcast-episode-15-with-mike-procopio/id1541789772?i=1000515744459

Shortly beforehand he also talks about a proposed trade where the Pelicans offered the Warriors Lonzo Ball and a pick for Oubre, but turned it down.

I feel like we may have dodged a bullet with Oubre. Seems like he's a 'me first' player/personality.

I don't know how anyone could have watched him while here and didn't think he was a me-first player. Sure, good locker room and energy guy, but rarely passed even when going up against 2-3 defenders at rim, heavily focused on getting paid, and obviously worried about his stats. Also cared a ton about his brand...which obviously takes some time away from basketball..glad he got away from influencing Ayton.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,097

Post#2673 » by spanishninja » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:51 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

I don't know how anyone could have watched him while here and didn't think he was a me-first player. Sure, good locker room and energy guy, but rarely passed even when going up against 2-3 defenders at rim, heavily focused on getting paid, and obviously worried about his stats. Also cared a ton about his brand...which obviously takes some time away from basketball..glad he got away from influencing Ayton.

yeah, now to think of it, the only thing we remotely miss are the dunks in people's faces, and I honestly don't mind this year's awesome passes that lead to wide open dunks personally.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2674 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:53 pm

spanishninja wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

yeah, now to think of it, the only thing we remotely miss are the dunks in people's faces, and I honestly don't mind this year's awesome passes that lead to wide open dunks personally.

I did notice he is the only wing somewhat near to top of total dunks this season. Though you'd think with a lot of dunks his TS% would be better than 52.1%
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2675 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:58 pm

538 has us projected at 49 wins, 2nd in the west..one game ahead of the Clips.

They have the Lakers in the 5 seed, one game ahead of the Mavs, who would be the 6 seed, who would be 1 game ahead of the Blazers for the 7 seed.

Grizzlies firmly in 8 seed. So in this case we'd get Blazers in first round (unless Grizzlies could beat them in play in tourney), then likely Clippers (potentially Dallas) in 2nd round, and then Jazz, Lakers or Nuggets in WCF...if we keep advancing.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#2676 » by BobbieL » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:27 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Oubre seemed like an odd fit with the Warriors from the start. As did D'Angelo Russell. I think they traded for Russell as they were capped out anyway and he got paid and they got an "asset" which turned into Wiggins and the Minnesota pick. So that is pretty solid

But Oubre - they might not lose a draft pick but he cost a lot of cash and the fit was never there

I just noticed the Warriors are only a half game up on the 11th spot. Maybe they need to hire a new coach, a new voice - bring back Iguodala to coach them with Draymond as the assistant.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#2677 » by cberry78 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:08 pm

"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#2678 » by wheezy » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:27 pm

bwgood77 wrote:538 has us projected at 49 wins, 2nd in the west..one game ahead of the Clips.

They have the Lakers in the 5 seed, one game ahead of the Mavs, who would be the 6 seed, who would be 1 game ahead of the Blazers for the 7 seed.

Grizzlies firmly in 8 seed. So in this case we'd get Blazers in first round (unless Grizzlies could beat them in play in tourney), then likely Clippers (potentially Dallas) in 2nd round, and then Jazz, Lakers or Nuggets in WCF...if we keep advancing.

Their Elo projection is a bit kinder to us. 2 seed at 50-22 w/ a 20% chance of making the finals. Can't tell if I'd be more worried about the Clippers or the Nuggets in the 2nd round though. The clips don't really seem to rise to the occasion.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,247

Post#2679 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:54 pm

Making a bold prediction right now and should bump this post in about a week and a half. Your Phoenix Suns will overtake the Jazz and be first in the west by April 16th.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2680 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:57 pm

wheezy wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:538 has us projected at 49 wins, 2nd in the west..one game ahead of the Clips.

Their Elo projection is a bit kinder to us. 2 seed at 50-22 w/ a 20% chance of making the finals. Can't tell if I'd be more worried about the Clippers or the Nuggets in the 2nd round though. The clips don't really seem to rise to the occasion.

The Clips were up 3-1 on them last year..I don't see Kawhi allowing them to bow out too early this time. I'd rather face the Nuggets.

Return to Phoenix Suns