ImageImageImage

Around the League: Offseason

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Re: Around the League: Trade deadline and beyond! 

Post#81 » by Sixerscan » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:59 pm

76ciology wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:
76ciology wrote:If you guys dont think of KPJ highly, then we might as well just traded Jrich for someone pick swap, future first or a project.

Maybe we could even just hold unto Jrich and waited the trade deadline and trade him for Aaron Gordon. Jrich should be a more valuable asset than Gary Harris who’s about to be paid 20M next season and is already washed up.

If we want a shooter to compliment Biid, then go get someone like Wayne Ellington.

Curry just seems like a advanced stats fantasy because he’s good during the non crucial moments and against bad teams and is really selective with his shots that pads up his points per shot, but he isnt a good chess piece (sometimes not even playable) on crucial moments down the stretch against good teams which is our team’s main problem.

Dont get me wrong.

The moves we did during the offseason made us a very good team. It’s not as talented as our team last offseason, but the fit is way much better.

But we sacrificed present talent (jrich+Al > Seth+green) and a 2025 pick that might had already costed us the Harden deal and possible Harden deal opportunities in the future.

For what? Cap flexibility? To sign a Bjelica type player?

You see guys like Drummond or LMA signing for almost peanuts.

I don’t really get putting down the moves this past offseason.

We had a negative value contract we absolutely had to move in Horford. It would’ve been a distracting toxic environment all year that really would’ve made our star player angry. We got Danny Green in exchange who has been great for us. We gave up a first, sure, but that move was not going to happen for free. And no team other than OKC was going to value a pick 4 years off that highly regardless of it making sense given a potential decline from us (which won’t happen then btw).

Jrich for Seth Curry was fine. Clearly a better fit and gave us an asset beyond this year. Sure, Curry could be played off the court in the playoffs but the cost was minimal and he helped the spacing around our stars and got us back on track.

Competing this year and making our stars happy had value and it was important. We did it at minimal cost despite it being understandable that it’s frustrating. You should blame your boys Elton and BC for making negative moves like signing Horford and for burning our assets so our 2025 first seems like a backbreaking asset to give up. Not Morey.

We can argue back and forth about Al. But what’s done is done with the Al trade.

With Al, we’re a playoff team not a championship team. Without Al, we’re also a playoff team and not a championship team.

Like I said, you can bench Al. And if you look at the advanced stats, Al was good with any of our 5 man unit. We’re a lot better even without Biid, last year than without Biid this year. Al allows us to be a good team whenever our fragile superstar takes his load management.

And it’s not impossible to bench Al. We did that during the bubble when we started Milton and let Al play off the bench.

That said, the Al horford trade was unnecessary and it costed us talent and our most valuable first round pick just to get rid of him.

“But we got cap flexibility”

Do we need cap flexibility? You see guys like Drummond signing for peanuts. That cap flexibility is just going to get you someone like Bjelica. Not as talented as Al but cheaper. For who’s benefit? The team? Maybe for the owner.

Today, you won’t see the consequence. Because we always do well in the regular season (we’re the favorites to make it to the finals last season from the offseason till near the end of the season).

But in the offseason, when we’re out in the playoffs and have to retool in the offseason it’s gonna hurt us.

Or maybe it already did..

when Rox was asking for an extra first rounder for Harden and we werent able to get them that. So Morey tried to call the Kings to get another first but failed.

Maybe I think highly of Morey and do expect more from him and maybe you’re just satisfied with a 1st to 2nd round exit team with good locker room chemistry.

We all have different standards so i respect that and i hope you also respect mine.

You’re literally the person that keeps bringing up the Horford thing lol. And every time someone explains the reasoning behind it and you just ignore it and make a different iteration of the same post you’ve made 50 times before. He didn’t even say anything about “cap flexibility”.

Anyway this line about being much better without Embiid last year isn’t really true at this point. They were +0.2 without Embiid last year versus exactly 0.0 this year. They’re 9-8 without him versus 11-11 last year.

And they’re of course much better *with* Embiid on the court which is in part driven by the Green/Embiid lineups being much better than the Horford/Embiid lineups.

You’re right, what’s done is done, so how about we accept the (very successful) trades Morey made rather than try to make up alternative fantasy trades?
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#82 » by kuclas » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:01 pm

76ciology wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:
76ciology wrote:If you guys dont think of KPJ highly, then we might as well just traded Jrich for someone pick swap, future first or a project.

Maybe we could even just hold unto Jrich and waited the trade deadline and trade him for Aaron Gordon. Jrich should be a more valuable asset than Gary Harris who’s about to be paid 20M next season and is already washed up.

If we want a shooter to compliment Biid, then go get someone like Wayne Ellington.

Curry just seems like a advanced stats fantasy because he’s good during the non crucial moments and against bad teams and is really selective with his shots that pads up his points per shot, but he isnt a good chess piece (sometimes not even playable) on crucial moments down the stretch against good teams which is our team’s main problem.

Dont get me wrong.

The moves we did during the offseason made us a very good team. It’s not as talented as our team last offseason, but the fit is way much better.

But we sacrificed present talent (jrich+Al > Seth+green) and a 2025 pick that might had already costed us the Harden deal and possible Harden deal opportunities in the future.

For what? Cap flexibility? To sign a Bjelica type player?

You see guys like Drummond or LMA signing for almost peanuts.

I don’t really get putting down the moves this past offseason.

We had a negative value contract we absolutely had to move in Horford. It would’ve been a distracting toxic environment all year that really would’ve made our star player angry. We got Danny Green in exchange who has been great for us. We gave up a first, sure, but that move was not going to happen for free. And no team other than OKC was going to value a pick 4 years off that highly regardless of it making sense given a potential decline from us (which won’t happen then btw).

Jrich for Seth Curry was fine. Clearly a better fit and gave us an asset beyond this year. Sure, Curry could be played off the court in the playoffs but the cost was minimal and he helped the spacing around our stars and got us back on track.

Competing this year and making our stars happy had value and it was important. We did it at minimal cost despite it being understandable that it’s frustrating. You should blame your boys Elton and BC for making negative moves like signing Horford and for burning our assets so our 2025 first seems like a backbreaking asset to give up. Not Morey.

We can argue back and forth about Al. But what’s done is done with the Al trade.

With Al, we’re a playoff team not a championship team. Without Al, we’re also a playoff team and not a championship team.

Like I said, you can bench Al. And if you look at the advanced stats, Al was good with any of our 5 man unit. We’re a lot better even without Biid, last year than without Biid this year. Al allows us to be a good team whenever our fragile superstar takes his load management.

And it’s not impossible to bench Al. We did that during the bubble when we started Milton and let Al play off the bench.

That said, the Al horford trade was unnecessary and it costed us talent and our most valuable first round pick just to get rid of him.

“But we got cap flexibility”

Do we need cap flexibility? You see guys like Drummond signing for peanuts. That cap flexibility is just going to get you someone like Bjelica. Not as talented as Al but cheaper. For who’s benefit? The team? Maybe for the owner.

Today, you won’t see the consequence. Because we always do well in the regular season (we’re the favorites to make it to the finals last season from the offseason till near the end of the season).

But in the offseason, when we’re out in the playoffs and have to retool in the offseason it’s gonna hurt us.

Or maybe it already did..

when Rox was asking for an extra first rounder for Harden and we werent able to get them that. So Morey tried to call the Kings to get another first but failed.

Maybe I think highly of Morey and do expect more from him and maybe you’re just satisfied with a 1st to 2nd round exit team with good locker room chemistry.

We all have different standards so i respect that and i hope you also respect mine.

If Houston wanting expiring Scott/green play maxey and 4 unprotected first rounders and draft swaps. Sixers accept that deal in a heartbeat. Which is basically what Houston ended up with the nets players and trade.

But Simmons plus maxey or thybulle and one first is more than fair. Houston wanted Simmons maxey and 3 first round picks.

That’s equivalent of Houston asking for Kyrie plus Harris and 3 first round picks. No way Nets does that deal
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#83 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Tobi’s suddenly not overpaid

Bucks, like the Sixers, have to overpay for fringe star players to play for them. Thats just the reality.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#84 » by Negrodamus » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:47 pm

Wait, we could have had this guy for a second rounder?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#85 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:58 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

By that statement, we potentially traded a couple of terrance davis for George Hill
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#86 » by Skates » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:59 pm

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

By that statement, we potentially traded a couple of terrance davis for George Hill

He plays for the Kings, sadly nothing good can ever come of that for the young man.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#87 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:55 am

Bulls looks nice with Vuc and Lavine.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#88 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:32 am

Lakers should try to dodge the nuggets
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#89 » by DCasey91 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:42 am

76ciology wrote:

Lakers should try to dodge the nuggets

Fully fit? I don’t think the Lakers are worried about anybody. AD monstered Jokic as he should too btw,
Having two monster two way players (Both top 5 MVP like players and one GOAT candidate).

Every year it’s the same thing until it changes Lebron plus a good enough team or subpar teams (2018,2007) (this year isn’t quite as good as 2020 though that can be argued of course) = Finals West or East. He’s still the most valuable player in the comp by a mile in my eyes until it isn’t (age). Until that happens he’s still well in front.

Elite Defender + Goat offensive team hub plus AD whose has DPOY impact even with sub par offensive games.

Jokic is an offensive savant but so is Lebron, Jokic or his team isn’t anyway shape or form is touching the Lakers anchored defense overall.

I still have big question marks on Jokic as the equity best player on a championship winning team not an elite defensive big anchor. Dirk was the only one to solo. But that team was very very balanced offensively/defensively and he played a different position.

(Same with Giannis for different reasons (shot). Giannis does scale higher with a Harden type around him per say).
76ciology
RealGM

Post#90 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:28 pm

Justin Jackson.

You have to be really really bad to be waived by the Thunders.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,751

Post#91 » by Stanford » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:11 pm

76ciology wrote:Justin Jackson.

Or really really too good
76ciology
RealGM

Post#92 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:41 pm

Stanford wrote:
76ciology wrote:Justin Jackson.

Or really really too good

Yes. This explains why a GOAT center like Al has to be sat out for the season.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#93 » by Negrodamus » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:15 pm

I find the Pelicans to be a confusing and silly team. They aren't sure if they want to compete or suck for a season to build a stacked team. Last night they started Steven Adams (who they extended earlier this year) AND Jaxson Hayes while playing Ball and Bledsoe for 37 and 34 minutes, respectively, at the guard positions. NAW, the only other guard on the roster and is a game removed from nuking the Magic for 31 points, gets 14 minutes. I'm not sure what they're trying to do right now.

I would have tried selling off Bledsoe and Adams for picks or a promising young player on a playoff team.
Skates
Head Coach

Post#94 » by Skates » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:58 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I find the Pelicans to be a confusing and silly team. They aren't sure if they want to compete or suck for a season to build a stacked team. Last night they started Steven Adams (who they extended earlier this year) AND Jaxson Hayes while playing Ball and Bledsoe for 37 and 34 minutes, respectively, at the guard positions. NAW, the only other guard on the roster and is a game removed from nuking the Magic for 31 points, gets 14 minutes. I'm not sure what they're trying to do right now.

I would have tried selling off Bledsoe and Adams for picks or a promising young player on a playoff team.

Stan Van Gundy is a much better announcer than a coach these days, and Griffin is now having a great year building a fit down there. Seems like a haphazard chemistry experiment all gone awry.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,751

Post#95 » by Stanford » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:59 pm

Paul Pierce is terrible on TV but cooommmeee onnnn
Skates
Head Coach

Post#96 » by Skates » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:28 am

Stanford wrote:Paul Pierce is terrible on TV but cooommmeee onnnn

Sometimes a scrub gets cut for something a superstar would just get reprimanded for, and as announcers/analysts go, Pierce is a Vincent Poirer level scrubeenie
76ciology
RealGM

Post#97 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:22 am

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbrett/2021/04/05/sacramento-kings-will-offer-bitcoin-as-salary-to-players/

This is an example of why I find Vivek as a guy who’s more concerned about trying to make his mark in the league then trying to win games.

If my memory serves me right, I believe i read somewhere that he once explored the idea of 4V5 basketball where one guy is already on the opposite end ready for an outlet pass.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#98 » by 76ciology » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:41 am

Read on Twitter

The steph curry i loved 6 years ago. Man.. i hope he asks to be trade to our team and GSW not waste his prime. I speak it into existence
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#99 » by DCasey91 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:00 am

Surely Justin Jackson is better then Mike Scott, surely lol
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#100 » by Negrodamus » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:17 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

The steph curry i loved 6 years ago. Man.. i hope he asks to be trade to our team and GSW not waste his prime. I speak it into existence

He's 32 years old. He has won 3 championships in his actual prime. I don't think anything has been "wasted".

Return to Philadelphia 76ers