ImageImageImage

Killian Hayes set to return Saturday vs Knicks

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Re: Killian Hayes set to return Saturday vs Knicks 

Post#41 » by flow » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:05 pm

Bey's not playing summer league. He's a solidified starting/6th-man player at this point. Stewart probably won't, either.

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#42 » by Manocad » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:57 am

Shooter1 wrote:Calling it early. He is a bust and was a bad pick. 4-6 better Guards picked after him. Here’s hoping we get a PG with a top 5 pick.

You were saying?
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#43 » by treefi » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:21 am

Hayes looked like a future star tonight.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#44 » by Han Solo » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:30 am

He looked like a point guard that will lead the league in assists at some point. He’s going to be good man.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#45 » by Pharaoh » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:44 am

But but but those 7 games!

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#46 » by 440BB » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:14 pm

Hayes being forced to miss nearly 2/3 of the season may have worked in his favor in some ways. Returning to the lineup after Rose and Griffin were gone gave him a fresh start. Watching and learning his new teammates' tendencies and preferences seems to have helped him settle in at the point too.

Small sample size but Hayes looks like the player we thought we drafted. Hope he stays healthy and keeps growing his game.

It may be that Troy Weaver drafted four rotation players, possibly one or two starters. I'm starting to think he has an eye for talent.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#47 » by Pharaoh » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:06 am

Careful praising our GM too much on here.

There's still people who believe he's got no idea what he's doing
440BB wrote:Hayes being forced to miss nearly 2/3 of the season may have worked in his favor in some ways. Returning to the lineup after Rose and Griffin were gone gave him a fresh start. Watching and learning his new teammates' tendencies and preferences seems to have helped him settle in at the point too.

Small sample size but Hayes looks like the player we thought we drafted. Hope he stays healthy and keeps growing his game.

It may be that Troy Weaver drafted four rotation players, possibly one or two starters. I'm starting to think he has an eye for talent.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#48 » by vic » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:50 pm

Not a bust, but not a star either.

https://www.theringer.com/video/2021/4/29/22409394/killian-hayes-is-not-a-bust

His defense and passing was always good from the beginning of the year, but as I said before, star pGs don't have trouble scoring at all 3 levels.

Good thing is, we don't need him to be a star. Passing and defense is enough at the point guard position.

I'd much rather have this year's pick be the superstar on the team. A tall wing like Cade, Evan (who I see as a wing PF), Green, or even Kuminga can develop in to the 2-way shot creation stars for a contender.

But hopefully Killian will spend this summer learning to be more aggressive and start making more layups and getting more balance on his outside shots.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Manocad
RealGM

Post#49 » by Manocad » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:59 pm

vic wrote:Not a bust, but not a star either.

His defense and passing was always good from the beginning of the year, but as I said before, star pGs don't have trouble scoring at all 3 levels.

Good thing is, we don't need him to be a star. Passing and defense is enough at the point guard position.

I'd much rather have this year's pick be the superstar on the team. A tall wing like Cade, Evan (who I see as a wing PF), Green, or even Kuminga can develop in to the 2-way shot creation stars for a contender.

But hopefully Killian will spend this summer learning to be more aggressive and start making more layups and getting more balance on his outside shots.

Good thing no one with realistic expectations thought he'd be a star in his rookie season, injured or not. There are some players who you can see being stars in the NBA as a rookie, but those are your Jordans, Lebrons, Shaqs, etc. Not a PG, especially not a one or two and done, who is a typical PG (i.e. not Lebron or Magic).
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,692

Post#50 » by zeebneeb » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:56 pm

vic wrote:Not a bust, but not a star either.

Again, declarative statements;

"Not a bust, but not a star either"

Never, ever, age well, and certainly make very little sense after 17 pro games.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#51 » by Snakebites » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:55 am

No declarative statements, or at least not predictions.

I will say that to be a rotation player or starter in the long run he’s got to be a better scorer than we’ve seen. He’s a nice passer but his scoring is so bad that it’s too easy for defenses to slag on him. That will put a ceiling on the impact of his passing.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,692

Post#52 » by zeebneeb » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:19 am

Snakebites wrote:No declarative statements, or at least not predictions.

I will say that to be a rotation player or starter in the long run he’s got to be a better scorer than we’ve seen. He’s a nice passer but his scoring is so bad that it’s too easy for defenses to slag on him. That will put a ceiling on the impact of his passing.
Now this is something I can agree with, and I'll add that he absolutely, positively, has to develop his right hand. That is what will make him a better scorer more then anything else.

His defense, and his passing are already there. I'm just hoping he is willing to put in the work needed to complete his game, and doesn't become one of those slacker athletes with talent, but no drive to become better.

The team is going to be his, if he puts in the work.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,926

Post#53 » by tmorgan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:52 am

We need Killian. There’s almost no one on the roster that SHOULD be creating their own shot right now. Maybe we draft one, that would be nice. Grant does it, but only passably well. Stewart certainly doesn’t, Bey mostly doesn’t. Jackson does, but he’s kind of insane in his approach to it.

Killian gets people good shots when he isn’t turning it over with his suspect handle. Go dribble, Killian, a lot. With your right hand. Put up a ton of shots, off the catch, off the dribble. Refine the floater. If he takes a big step forward, so does the team.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#54 » by El Chivo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:55 am

Hayes must mold his offense after Rajon Rondo's.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#55 » by DetroitSho » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:26 pm

El Chivo wrote:Hayes must mold his offense after Rajon Rondo's.
Said no one ever. Ugh, no.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Manocad
RealGM

Post#56 » by Manocad » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:36 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
El Chivo wrote:Hayes must mold his offense after Rajon Rondo's.
Said no one ever. Ugh, no.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Well, that statement could actually be interpreted two ways:

Hayes needs to/should mold his after Rondo (agreed--ugh, no)
Hayes must be trying to mold his offense after Rondo, i.e. trying to be Rondo; like "You're dumb AF, bro; you must eat paint chips"
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#57 » by flow » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:33 pm

Lol. Please. We'll be doing cartwheels if Hayes approaches Rondo status as a floor general. He's a savant.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,926

Post#58 » by tmorgan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:49 pm

flow wrote:Lol. Please. We'll be doing cartwheels if Hayes approaches Rondo status as a floor general. He's a savant.

He really is. And he has to be, because he’s one of the surliest dickbags on the planet. No one likes him, but you have to respect him.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#59 » by FloridaMan78 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:16 pm

Baby steps for me. If he can just get his runner that would huge for him. Being able to dribble right would be nice. Year after that a solid 15-17ft jump shot. Right hand layups then the three. Right now he has no confidence in any of that. Right now he really needs that runner to fall so the defender doesn’t stay with Stewart every time.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#60 » by Snakebites » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:36 pm

I too would prefer Hayes NOT to end up like Rondo offensively. I was never a fan of his offensive game.

Return to Detroit Pistons