Image ImageImage Image

Sato Is Having A 50/40/90 Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

Sato Is Having A 50/40/90 Season 

Post#1 » by HomoSapien » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:01 am

Tomas Satoransky is quietly putting up really good numbers. He's shooting an outstanding (and rare) 52.3% from the field, 41.6% from downtown while hitting 92% of his free throws. He's not flashy, but per 36 he's good for 13, 8, and 4 with steady defense. His size also gives us a lot of versatility as it allows us to switch around comfortably on defense.

He's not the starting PG anyone asked for, but is there a chance we're overlooking what we have? Should we expand his role?
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: Sato Is Having A 50/40/90 Season 

Post#2 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:14 am

Sato's a quality player. If AK needs to clear cap space in the offseason I bet he'd be able to move Sato without a problem without having to send anything out. Not that I'm advocating to move him.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,516

Post#3 » by DuckIII » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:22 am

He’s been terrific for the Bulls this season. We still need a legitimate starting point who can create and defend. But you’d loooove to have Sato as a multi-positional super-sub going forward.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#4 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:37 am

Sato have been great since he stopped being afraid to shoot. Would love to bring him back next season. He has been just as important as Thad, but isn’t getting the credit.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#5 » by PaKii94 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:43 am

I'm happy my prediction of "Archi plus" is finally materializing. Boylen did a number on everyone's offense but sato fits really well on this team. I'd also like to keep him as backup pg/6th man
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#6 » by PaKii94 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:45 am

HomoSapien wrote:Tomas Satoransky is quietly putting up really good numbers. He's shooting an outstanding (and rare) 52.3% from the field, 41.6% from downtown while hitting 92% of his free throws. He's not flashy, but per 36 he's good for 13, 8, and 4 with steady defense. His size also gives us a lot of versatility as it allows us to switch around comfortably on defense.

He's not the starting PG anyone asked for, but is there a chance we're overlooking what we have? Should we expand his role?

You also gotta mention turnovers-

2.7 turnovers p36. Or 2.88 ast/to. Those are great when you consider the team has a big problem with turnovers
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#7 » by erlim » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:51 am

Yeah, Sato has been great. We don't seem to lambaste him much as a board, yet we don't even have a discussion thread on him.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#8 » by sco » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:22 pm

Great thread!

I've said it before, if we don't land Ball (who brings more defense), I'm not sure there is a better answer for us at starting PG than Sato next season. On the plus side, as a starter this season he's also been generating 1.4 Steals. On the down side, as a starter, he only shoots 7.8 shots per game, which has always been his problem and negates his stellar shooting numbers - I mean, shooting 100/100/100 on one shot per game does little for us.

Also, I think Sato, more than anyone else, has benefitted from Thad's magic year.
:clap:
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,547

Post#9 » by Ice Man » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:29 pm

I was all over the Thad and Sato signings last season as being the sort of off-season moves that GarPax should make, but usually don't. Ha! I didn't work out that way last year. But that argument looks better today. Good job, Sato. (And of course Thad.)
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#10 » by MGB8 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:57 pm

IMO, with Vuc on board, Sato is more valuable than Thad next year.

I didn't really like the Thad signing. Yeah, he was a good, veteran player. But he's more or less a one position player at this point in his career a 4 (and now, I guess, a *really* small ball 5). I thought that with Lauri, along with Otto and Hutch who could play minutes at the 4, the Bulls would have been better of bringing in a veteran 4/5 as opposed to a pure 4. But then injuries, etc.

But Sato, even last year, had value because of his position versatility. He can guard most 1s through 3s and play both wing and guard roles on offense, even if he can't be a primary scorer or true creator. That kind of versatility has a ton of value. It enable the Bulls to play Dunn/Harrison-Lavine-Sato, with Sato playing PG on offense but allowing mix/match on defense.

Sato remains a poor man's Brogdon (you know, the player we hoped Valentine would be).
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#11 » by VolumePoster » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:18 pm

I think in general people get too caught up in the mad-scientist aspect of team building where you need to combine set quantities of skills and traits. Hogwash. Acquire good players who are reasonably good people and let them work together. Some old, some young, but not too many of either. Searching for a Platonic ideal in terms of fit is a fools errand.

I file Sato under the just a good player category. Very happy to see his success.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,203

Post#12 » by coldfish » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:24 pm

This is why I don’t think a PG is really going to make a big difference for the Bulls. Ostensibly, Vuc and Lavine are going to do most of the ball handling. At PG, you want a guy who moves well off ball, makes open shots and doesn’t turn the ball over plus is a good defender. Sato does most of that.

What the Bulls need is an athletic 3/4 to go along with PW.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#13 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:40 pm

Can we unban Wonderboy?
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#14 » by sco » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:45 pm

coldfish wrote:This is why I don’t think a PG is really going to make a big difference for the Bulls. Ostensibly, Vuc and Lavine are going to do most of the ball handling. At PG, you want a guy who moves well off ball, makes open shots and doesn’t turn the ball over plus is a good defender. Sato does most of that.

This x100!

With Sato around, you have an efficient 5th option guy on a reasonable deal to play PG. Getting Ball brings more defense and upside, but Sato is a better in the 1/2 court.

We need a good, moderate cost 2-way, 3pt shooting 3/4 to replace Lauri. Maybe that guy is already here in Theis. I think the Sato, Lavine, Williams, Theis, Vuc line-up might be our best best for next season and want to see what they can do the rest of this season. Our success will rely upon chemistry and Williams' development.
:clap:
Pentele
Sophomore
And1: 176

Post#15 » by Pentele » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:47 pm

People are clamoring for Lonzo Ball while Sato has a very similar impact this season at half the projected price. I am not sure having both is the best use of cap space (as that would lead to diminishing returns from the one who starts from the bench), but then again I have no clear picture at the moment of the kind of player the Bulls should be pursuing off-season. But if Sato continues like this, and I think his numbers are sustainable with that volume, I think he is anyway a fitting starter beside Zach and Vuc.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by DuckIII » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:49 pm

coldfish wrote:This is why I don’t think a PG is really going to make a big difference for the Bulls. Ostensibly, Vuc and Lavine are going to do most of the ball handling. At PG, you want a guy who moves well off ball, makes open shots and doesn’t turn the ball over plus is a good defender. Sato does most of that.

I’d say those are both clear team needs at this point. But I view them both as significant. Yes Lavine and Vuc will have the ball a lot (so will Thad while he’s here). But this team still badly lacks playmakers. We need multiple.

We also need perimeter defense upgrades. Patrick Lee Williams, we assume perhaps to our folly, will end up being a quality defender. But just like playmakers, we still need more.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,203

Post#17 » by coldfish » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:57 pm

DuckIII wrote:

I’d say those are both clear team needs at this point. But I view them both as significant. Yes Lavine and Vuc will have the ball a lot (so will Thad while he’s here). But this team still badly lacks playmakers. We need multiple.

We also need perimeter defense upgrades. Patrick Lee Williams, we assume perhaps to our folly, will end up being a quality defender. But just like playmakers, we still need more.

IMO, the second need is for a bench gunner who comes in and creates his own shot, can play PG or SG and can handle volume scoring. Basically Coby minus the terrible defense, poor shot selection and dumb turnovers.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by DuckIII » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:57 pm

Pentele wrote:People are clamoring for Lonzo Ball while Sato has a very similar impact this season at half the projected price. I am not sure having both is the best use of cap space (as that would lead to diminishing returns from the one who starts from the bench), but then again I have no clear picture at the moment of the kind of player the Bulls should be pursuing off-season. But if Sato continues like this, and I think his numbers are sustainable with that volume, I think he is anyway a fitting starter beside Zach and Vuc.

He’s fine. The issue with Ball (and I don’t want to turn this into another Ball thread so I’ll keep it brief) is that one hopes he continues to improve like he did this year. Plus obviously his defense is a significant difference.

The Bulls just don’t have many avenues to make big improvements. It’s a problem. So getting a young guy you may project to be on the rise is one of the best tools for filling out the roster.

But regardless, Sato’s play does help balance priorities and bring more clarity.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#19 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:14 pm

Sato is a good piece. He really does fill the "Lonzo Ball" role quite well.

I do think we need a more dynamic perimeter creator. Would I be willing to lose Sato to land that player? Yes.

I do think that player is ideally a 3/4 though. So we can just get a 3/D PG.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,048

Post#20 » by FriedRise » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:42 pm

He's the right piece to start next Zach and Vooch in that he doesn't need a lot of shots, but he has good enough vision and is more than a willing passer who doesn't turn the ball over. He's also tall enough to defend guards and contest their shots, though he does have a little trouble staying in front of faster players (but that's when you can have Zach or TBJ guard those guys). When he gets a good look (which should come easier playing next to 2 All Stars now), he converts at an elite rate of 50/40/90 and 64% TS. He's basically everything that Coby isn't.

For the offseason, I would prioritize upgrading the SF or PF spot (plug PW in one of the other spots) before PG. Obviously if someone elite is suddenly available, you jump on it, but there are better ways to spend our money than putting everything in a Lonzo Ball trade.

For the rest of the season, I would try to always close games with Sato / Zach / Brown / PW or Thad / Vooch.

Return to Chicago Bulls