ImageImageImageImage

Chuma Okeke first outlook

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Re: Chuma Okeke first outlook 

Post#181 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:25 am

Bakomagic wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Wendell and Okeke are getting pounded on glass very hard mostly because they are very small for position.
In last 3 games combined, Magic were outrebounded by whooping 36 rebounds.

Okeke is listed as 6'6-229.

Because WCjr seems to have a strong heavy base and long arms, I don’t agree that he is too small for the center position.

WCjr out rebounded Steven Adams, Gilbert(tbf Gobert only played 20min) and Jokic in the last 3 games so I’m not sure it’s fair to say he’s been pounded on the glass because of his size.

The more I think about modern NBA, the more I see the advance of guards who (defensive) rebound more than in any time in history. Perhaps, the greatest value of a big is to box out opposing bigs, so the smaller guys can rip and run. That’s why Drummond is so lightly regarded despite his 15 per (maybe Vuc too :( )...team rebounding is way more important than league leading bigs. WCJ may lack the height to grab 12, but he’s definitely built to box out so Fultz, Anthony, Hampton can pull them in and head the other way. If a coach can convince his bigs to selflessly set picks, box out, and shoot 3’s....that’s possibly the winning combo. Idk if Bamba will ever be able to box out but his rim protection and 3 Pt shooting provides a different look. If only we could meld them together, we’d have an All-Star Center.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#182 » by basketballRob » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:46 am

Chuma looks like he's being way more aggressive on the boards now, compared to earlier in the year. He's averaging 7.3 rebounds this month.

I wouldn't mind adding a free agent like Olynyk next season. That would allow us to let Birch go, and Olynyk can play either big positions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,604

Post#183 » by RookieStar » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:42 am

basketballRob wrote:Chuma looks like he's being way more aggressive on the boards now, compared to earlier in the year. He's averaging 7.3 rebounds this month.

I wouldn't mind adding a free agent like Olynyk next season. That would allow us to let Birch go, and Olynyk can play either big positions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Olynk might command big bucks. For an outside shooting offensive minded big man, why dont we just grabe a rookie? Garza Hurt and more are available at a fraction of the price.

But I think we retain Birch, wcj and bamba arent really known for their health or durability
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#184 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:18 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Wendell and Okeke are getting pounded on glass very hard mostly because they are very small for position.

i dont know how, as Okeke was 6'7 in 2017 at USA basketball, with a 7' wingspan.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#185 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:19 pm

drsd wrote:
RookieStar wrote:I think he has to work om being a SF. Im not sure but even AG looks bigger than him. He will be eaten alive by the PFs of this league unless he grows a couple of inches.

And-1

Okeke is currebtly a PF. His offensive game is only suited to be a 3-D SF, and I would imagine most here see more to his offensive game than that. But it is a moo point. Isaac is the SF on this team. And both Isaac and Okeke can guard both forward slots.

is he? i thought that was one of the reasons AG was traded, to move Isaac into the PF position.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#186 » by pepe1991 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:21 pm

tiderulz wrote:

i dont know how, as Okeke was 6'7 in 2017 at USA basketball, with a 7' wingspan.

nba.com
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#187 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:25 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

nba.com

Standing 6'7 in shoes with a 7'0 wingspan and a big 233-pound frame, Chuma Okeke isn't overly tall or long for a power forward, but made a strong impression during the U19 training camp. A fairly versatile forward, Okeke is a prospect to watch during his freshman year at Auburn. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chuma-Okeke-91227/ ©DraftExpress
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#188 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:26 pm

tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i dont know how, as Okeke was 6'7 in 2017 at USA basketball, with a 7' wingspan.

nba.com

Standing 6'7 in shoes with a 7'0 wingspan and a big 233-pound frame, Chuma Okeke isn't overly tall or long for a power forward, but made a strong impression during the U19 training camp. A fairly versatile forward, Okeke is a prospect to watch during his freshman year at Auburn. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chuma-Okeke-91227/ ©DraftExpress

so your way too early takes about him not going to do anything now looking bad, now you are going to nitpick on his height? :roll:
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#189 » by pepe1991 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:26 pm

tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i dont know how, as Okeke was 6'7 in 2017 at USA basketball, with a 7' wingspan.

nba.com

Probably was 6'5 and half and was measured in shoes.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#190 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:17 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

nba.com

His body will mature and he'll be as switchable as possible with Isaac next year. We have a the potential to be a two way TEAM next year.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#191 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:36 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

His body will mature and he'll be as switchable as possible with Isaac next year. We have a the potential to be a two way TEAM next year.

dont make the effort to argue with him. just a few games into his career, he declared Okeke not promising, hardly an upgrade over Iwundu and wont do anything against anybody good.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#192 » by Nyce_1 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:02 pm

Yoooooo i never realized Chuma was only 6'7. Makes sense why we've been getting bullied on the boards with him and WCJ in the frontcourt. We need to pick up a strong rebounder for the bench (next season).
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#193 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:59 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:Yoooooo i never realized Chuma was only 6'7. Makes sense why we've been getting bullied on the boards with him and WCJ in the frontcourt. We need to pick up a strong rebounder for the bench (next season).

well, Isaac will be PF so there is a bigger rebounder
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#194 » by Nyce_1 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:11 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:Yoooooo i never realized Chuma was only 6'7. Makes sense why we've been getting bullied on the boards with him and WCJ in the frontcourt. We need to pick up a strong rebounder for the bench (next season).

Agree, but from a roster construction POV, I think for versatility, a very strong rebounder would be nice on the bench. If Mo is the backup C, hopefully the backup PF can supplement his lack of rebounding.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#195 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:00 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Agree, but from a roster construction POV, I think for versatility, a very strong rebounder would be nice on the bench. If Mo is the backup C, hopefully the backup PF can supplement his lack of rebounding.

Mo is actually a strong rebounder.... slight frame and all. but yes... a strong rebounder at pf is always a plus. 13 rebound in 36 min is pretty damn good. BUT... i still see it as a portion of his potential compared to Swole bamba that entered the bubble and was left in the bubble. hahah
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#196 » by pepe1991 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:16 pm

tiderulz wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

dont make the effort to argue with him. just a few games into his career, he declared Okeke not promising, hardly an upgrade over Iwundu and wont do anything against anybody good.

Dude, second time in 4 days you have personal jabs, if you have something to say, send me private message.
I've posted here, if you bothered to scroll around and found, that i've said i jumped a gun on Okeke

That being said ,get off your high horse that you ride based on 7 games.

And stop acting like you are now poster who never was wrong. Remember when i claimed last year that Koby White is stat padder that offers nothing to a team when you and kNightro where up in arms how you can see future allstar ? Yea.. That really workeed amazing for you two didn't it?
How about your Cam Reddish -instert random 2 way superstar -comparisons aged? Not very good, i'll tell you that much.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#197 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:26 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:His body will mature and he'll be as switchable as possible with Isaac next year. We have a the potential to be a two way TEAM next year.

Dude, second time in 4 days you have personal jabs, if you have something to say, send me private message.
I've posted here, if you bothered to scroll around and found, that i've said i jumped a gun on Okeke

And stop acting like you are now poster who never was wrong. Remember when i claimed last year that Koby White is stat padder that offers nothing to a team when you and kNightro where up in arms how you can see future allstar ? Yea.. That really workeed amazing for you two didn't it?
How about your Cam Reddish -instert random 2 way superstar -comparisons aged? Not very good, i'll tell you that much.

I'm more wrong than I am right, i can easily self admit that. But i rarely talk with complete declarations on players 10 games into their careers.
Coby White? never remember talking about it. - personally hate REALGM's search on your own posts. I cant find them. I would be surprised to call Coby White a future all-star, I thought i remember calling him out as a bad shooter and very loose with the ball.
Cam Reddish? another one i dont remember calling him a 2-way superstar (especially as I rarely call anyone a superstar). I would be surprised to see that from me. If i did, extremely bad take.

I'll even call myself out in the very short term. I took what I saw from WCJ in Chicago and wasnt expecting more than 10-12 ppg, 8-10 rpg and he is doing very well right now and far exceeding what i thought he could do. Not sure if he has more chances, maybe Clifford coaches big men better than Billy Donovan, I dont know. But early on right now, I was WRONG. I can admit that. And no, i havent seen you admit you jumped the gun on Okeke, good for you for admitting it. But you post on here like you are the end all, be all of basketball knowledge.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#198 » by pepe1991 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:34 pm

tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:dont make the effort to argue with him. just a few games into his career, he declared Okeke not promising, hardly an upgrade over Iwundu and wont do anything against anybody good.

I'm more wrong than I am right, i can easily self admit that. But i rarely talk with complete declarations on players 10 games into their careers.
Coby White? never remember talking about it. - personally hate REALGM's search on your own posts. I cant find them. I would be surprised to call Coby White a future all-star, I thought i remember calling him out as a bad shooter and very loose with the ball.
Cam Reddish? another one i dont remember calling him a 2-way superstar (especially as I rarely call anyone a superstar). I would be surprised to see that from me. If i did, extremely bad take.

I'll even call myself out in the very short term. I took what I saw from WCJ in Chicago and wasnt expecting more than 10-12 ppg, 8-10 rpg and he is doing very well right now and far exceeding what i thought he could do. Not sure if he has more chances, maybe Clifford coaches big men better than Billy Donovan, I dont know. But early on right now, I was WRONG. I can admit that. And no, i havent seen you admit you jumped the gun on Okeke, good for you for admitting it. But you post on here like you are the end all, be all of basketball knowledge.

I tend to be right more often than wrong, mostly because i avoid delusional hype of prospects before nba draft, where people just throw most absurd comparisons out there.

But i pretty much addmited mistakes every time i made them.

I liked Carter way more than Bamba. Yet, after every semi- not terrible game of Bamba, that happends once every month or so, there are at least 2 comments about me being wrong.
For 2 years i had to deal with Payton fanboys telling me how great he is ,after every 13 points he menaged to score.

But every time i call somebody on his BS than i'm "too mean, take it too seriously" .

Every time somebody plays like s*** i'll say he plays like s*** and i don't care is he a 18 years old boy, or 38 years old grandpa.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#199 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:07 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

I tend to be right more often than wrong, mostly because i avoid delusional hype of prospects before nba draft, where people just throw most absurd comparisons out there.

But i pretty much addmited mistakes every time i made them.

I liked Carter way more than Bamba. Yet, after every semi- not terrible game of Bamba, that happends once every month or so, there are at least 2 comments about me being wrong.
For 2 years i had to deal with Payton fanboys telling me how great he is ,after every 13 points he menaged to score.

But every time i call somebody on his BS than i'm "too mean, take it too seriously" .

Every time somebody plays like s*** i'll say he plays like s*** and i don't care is he a 18 years old boy, or 38 years old grandpa.

as i said, Realgm search for your own posts are more horrible than for others. I'm curious on how bad i predicted Reddish. Can you show me the ones you pulled up for me that I gave him a possible superstar comparison. I cringe that I could even think that, but if i did than I was way off.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,604

Post#200 » by RookieStar » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:29 pm

Ok what is it this time? Is Chuma shrinking with every posts?

He is 6'6-1/2 without shoes when we drafted him right? So 6'7 without shoes if we follow how the NBA rounds off the number. 6'8 with shoes. Normally in the modern NBA that's probably the lower end modern height of a PF. So unless he grows 1.5 inches, loses 10 lbs of fat and gains 15 lbs of muscle ( lol is it the annual offseason thread already?) We better off him being a SF.

Yup, WCJ as a C is fine, Okeke at the PF isnt. But as someone said, we are getting back JI next season so we won't be bullied in the boards anymore.

Return to Orlando Magic