ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

aligator
Assistant Coach
And1: 432

Re: 2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1 

Post#1961 » by aligator » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:55 pm

Better to let Kyle walk than take back any unwanted players in sign and trade. On a separate matter, don't the Raps have to sign someone by today to bring active roster up to 14 as only 2 weeks at 13 is allowed?
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,727

Post#1962 » by BoyzNTheHood » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:46 am

My apologies if this has been addressed, but is it correct that we need to sign a couple of guys to meet a league requirement?

https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/wolstat-rookie-raptor-flynn-finding-game-when-needed-most-with-lowry-vanvleet-hurting
Who is Flynn’s backup at point guard if Lowry and VanVleet are out? Stanley Johnson? Not ideal. The Raptors will soon have to add some players to satisfy league requirements. Bank on a point guard and a centre.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,093

Post#1963 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:51 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:My apologies if this has been addressed, but is it correct that we need to sign a couple of guys to meet a league requirement?

https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/wolstat-rookie-raptor-flynn-finding-game-when-needed-most-with-lowry-vanvleet-hurting
Who is Flynn’s backup at point guard if Lowry and VanVleet are out? Stanley Johnson? Not ideal. The Raptors will soon have to add some players to satisfy league requirements. Bank on a point guard and a centre.

Can't they just guarantee the 2-way players - Watson and Watanabe?

I just had a thought. With a good core (including maybe Lowry) Raptors would like to be in win-now mode next year. If our pick lands in 6-10, is there anyone worth trading it for? Indiana might accept it for Turner, but is that an overpay? We could take his salary with our cap space.

And ... here's the big question. If Raps get a 2-5 pick, is there ANYONE in the league who would reasonably be available - i.e. not Zion or Ja - that we would trade it for? Obviously not Wiseman after the game he had against us. LaMelo? Bey? RJ Barrett? Christian Wood?
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Post#1964 » by Spida888 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:53 am

tecumseh18 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:My apologies if this has been addressed, but is it correct that we need to sign a couple of guys to meet a league requirement?

Can't they just guarantee the 2-way players - Watson and Watanabe?

I just had a thought. With a good core (including maybe Lowry) Raptors would like to be in win-now mode next year. If our pick lands in 6-10, is there anyone worth trading it for? Indiana might accept it for Turner, but is that an overpay? We could take his salary with our cap space.

And ... here's the big question. If Raps get a 2-5 pick, is there ANYONE in the league who would reasonably be available - i.e. not Zion or Ja - that we would trade it for? Obviously not Wiseman after the game he had against us. LaMelo? Bey? RJ Barrett? Christian Wood?

Yeah, they should be able to just guarantee Yuta. Watson is no longer on a 2-way.

As for Turner, I'm not sure. I think he's a good rim protector, but I don't watch enough Indiana ball to know if he's an all around good defender. Also, we won't have any cap space unless we renounce Lowry. If we do trade for a player with our 6-10 pick, I'd rather we go after a scoring 2-way guard/wing. Normally, I would say like Beal/Lavine but those guys only got 1 year left after this season, so not really worth it.

Personally if we get a 2-5 pick, I would rather just keep it. We are not just 1 piece away from championship contention, and the Nets will likely be the top team for at least a couple more years.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,621

Post#1965 » by Bruin » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:02 am

Yeah if we get a top 5 pick we shouldn’t trade it unless some insane offer comes up. It’s best to build for the future in 5 years when Lebron and the Nets are done. By then we could develop our top 5 pick into a legit superstar to lead us back to the promise land
raptoratode
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#1966 » by raptoratode » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:04 pm

How valuable really is that MIN pick from GSW? I'm beginning to talk myself into a GSW deal especially if they really want to maximize Steph's prime (preping to give him that 200M extension); they'll be back to invincibility if you add Pascal to their big 3. Central to that potential deal is the MIN pick - it's top 3 protected, they can't pick lower than 7th (if they kept their bottom 3 record), so getting the MIN pick means you get between picks 4 to 7. As per ESPN, that's...
#4 - Kuminga
#5 - Suggs
#6 - K. Johnson
#7 - J. Johnson

Based on today's standings, we have the 7th pick already (6% chance at No. 1 pick, 26.3% chance at top-four pick), same as NOLA was when they got Zion :pray: :pray: Is that enough for us to part with Pascal? You obviously don't make that deal if the pick isn't for 2021. When all the dust settles, we could trot out a lineup of...

FVV / Flynn
Suggs / GTJ
Kuminga / Wiggins (assuming this is the salary that goes our way)
OG / Boucher
Holmes (FA) / Noel (FA)

And they're playing back home in TO :nod:
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#1967 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:10 pm

aligator wrote:Better to let Kyle walk than take back any unwanted players in sign and trade. On a separate matter, don't the Raps have to sign someone by today to bring active roster up to 14 as only 2 weeks at 13 is allowed?

I think they can just convert Watanabe's two way deal into a proper NBA contract and cover that 14th spot;
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#1968 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:35 pm

raptoratode wrote:How valuable really is that MIN pick from GSW? I'm beginning to talk myself into a GSW deal especially if they really want to maximize Steph's prime (prepping to give him that 200M extension); they'll be back to invincibility if you add Pascal to their big 3. Central to that potential deal is the MIN pick - it's top 3 protected, they can't pick lower than 7th (if they kept their bottom 3 record)

The Minnesota pick terrifies me;

I don't have any confidence aside from lotto luck it will convey this year and the problem if it doesn't is the Wolves have the assets to potentially improve next season which could make the unprotected 2022 pick much less appealing (all be it in a far deeper draft).
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#1969 » by agkagk » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:25 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
raptoratode wrote:How valuable really is that MIN pick from GSW? I'm beginning to talk myself into a GSW deal especially if they really want to maximize Steph's prime (prepping to give him that 200M extension); they'll be back to invincibility if you add Pascal to their big 3. Central to that potential deal is the MIN pick - it's top 3 protected, they can't pick lower than 7th (if they kept their bottom 3 record)

I don't have any confidence aside from lotto luck it will convey this year and the problem if it doesn't is the Wolves have the assets to potentially improve next season which could make the unprotected 2022 pick much less appealing (all be it in a far deeper draft).

dont they have the worst record in the league?

also, they play in the west, even if they make a huge leap, theyre at best NOP and more likely Sacramento levels of bad next season.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,658

Post#1970 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:26 pm

GTJ and our lotto pick for Jaylen Brown. Throw in Boucher or one of the seconds we got this year. We can even try to find a way to take back TT to get that money off their books as he hasn't been good for them

They break up the pair but get someone that can immediately contribute and better as a role player (and Boucher). Also a lotto pick that adds to the depth and they can finally run the team through Tatum.

We get a guy we can groom into our goto guy at the 2 that is inline with the rest of our core. We just need to fill out the rest of the roster from there and move forward with FVV/Brown/OG/Siakam
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
raptoratode
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#1971 » by raptoratode » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:32 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:

All in all, good place to be in:

Worst case - we do nothing with GSW, we keep Pascal, trot out FVV, GTJ, OG, Pascal, FA Centre and at worst a top 10 pick...
Best case - wheel & deal hoping for desperation from GSW, get two top 10 picks in a top heavy draft, Bob (Meyers)' your uncle :wink:
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#1972 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:01 pm

agkagk wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:

also, they play in the west, even if they make a huge leap, theyre at best NOP and more likely Sacramento levels of bad next season.

They do and they do.
The concern is more how bad are they actually?

They have played 50 games this season, Anthony Edwards is the only player to play in all 50.
Beasley has played 37, KAT has played 30, Russell has played 20.

If the pick doesn't convey this season you are going into next season with a similar roster plus one of Cunningham, Suggs, Mobley, etc
Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are a playoff team with a healthy roster but they could end up with a winning percentage even in the low .400's which is potentially puts you in that 8-12 range. Still not an awful pick but I hate betting against young teams when it comes to pick position.
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Post#1973 » by YelloC » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:53 am

I got a feeling that 1 of our 2nds is destined to be used on Andrew Nembhard.
He seems like he’d be the coaches pick and could play with Fred and Flynn.
If we get our guy with the 2nd, I could see us targeting teams for 2 future 2nds.ex. OKC, Houston.
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,627

Post#1974 » by arbsn » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:24 pm

Unless we get a top 5 pick this draft is a crap shoot and certainly not worth tanking for. looking at the 5-10 projected players

Keon Johnson shooting guard who can't shoot
Kispert lacks athleticism and playmaking; will be 23 next year
Moses Moody athletic but didn't notice him in once arkansas game in the tournament
Kai Jones averaged 8 and 5 in college, reminds me a bit of Clint Capela maybe the best pick for us
Franz Wagner a scorer who couldnt score in the most important game of his career; questionable defense
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,621

Post#1975 » by Bruin » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:27 pm

YelloC wrote:I got a feeling that 1 of our 2nds is destined to be used on Andrew Nembhard.
If we get our guy with the 2nd, I could see us targeting teams for 2 future 2nds.ex. OKC, Houston.

I think he goes undrafted. We’d likely give him a look in training camp given the Canadian background. He seems like a poised player so idk why he’s not mocked anywhere but I like him as a bench player to develop
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#1976 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:27 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
agkagk wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:

They do and they do.
The concern is more how bad are they actually?

They have played 50 games this season, Anthony Edwards is the only player to play in all 50.
Beasley has played 37, KAT has played 30, Russell has played 20.

If the pick doesn't convey this season you are going into next season with a similar roster plus one of Cunningham, Suggs, Mobley, etc
Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are a playoff team with a healthy roster but they could end up with a winning percentage even in the low .400's which is potentially puts you in that 8-12 range. Still not an awful pick but I hate betting against young teams when it comes to pick position.

DLo came off the bench last game. I could see him start and them starting to win games and make a crazy run for the play in game. :D
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#1977 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:28 pm

PrinceAli wrote:
YelloC wrote:I got a feeling that 1 of our 2nds is destined to be used on Andrew Nembhard.

I think he goes undrafted. We’d likely give him a look in training camp given the Canadian background. He seems like a poised player so idk why he’s not mocked anywhere but I like him as a bench player to develop

Nembhard reminds me of Delon Wright.

I see his brother on some mocks. :nod:
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,727

Post#1978 » by BoyzNTheHood » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:47 pm

Psubs wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:

Nembhard reminds me of Delon Wright.

I see his brother on some mocks. :nod:

He's a nice player, but looked shell shocked last night. I thought the Zags guards did a horrible job of getting Timme involved especially since the majority of Baylor's bigs were in foul trouble. That goes for Suggs, Ayayi and Nembhard.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#1979 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:03 pm

arbsn wrote:Unless we get a top 5 pick this draft is a crap shoot and certainly not worth tanking for. looking at the 5-10 projected players

Keon Johnson shooting guard who can't shoot
Kispert lacks athleticism and playmaking; will be 23 next year
Moses Moody athletic but didn't notice him in once arkansas game in the tournament
Kai Jones averaged 8 and 5 in college, reminds me a bit of Clint Capela maybe the best pick for us
Franz Wagner a scorer who couldnt score in the most important game of his career; questionable defense

Barnes would be a fit. Kuminga as well. Usman Garuba also intriguing. Davion Mitchell fits our identity without question. Second round I would take a flyer on Terence Clarke. Maybe even Filip Petrusev.
isyed
Starter
And1: 313

Post#1980 » by isyed » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:38 am

Super easy. Tank to sneak into bottom 5 and get a top 3 pick.

Use capspace to sign underrated free agent. I would go hard for Collins or Allen.

Sign and trade lowry for a 20 mill trade exception. We use it later in the season or next off season for another player.

Use the second rounders for senior bigmen.

Use mle for under the radar free agent. Use Bi annual to bring back gasol.

Resign gtj after signing our free agent.

No playoffs gives our guys rest for the first time in years and let's Siakam and og develop their games even more.

Fvv/flynn
Gtj/cade/
Og/MLE/bembry
Siakam/boucher/2nd rounder
Allen(or Collins) / gasol/2nd rounder

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Toronto Raptors