ImageImageImage

Old friend Paul Pierce

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Re: Old friend Paul Pierce 

Post#121 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:00 pm

Kind of surprised at how many people are disappointed in PP like there was some illusion this isn't how most NBA players act and that somehow PP would be above this. Plus who on their right mind would ever view NBA players as heros or role models?

We also don't know what kind of setup PP and his wife has. Maybe she perfectly fine with this? If not then what did she think she was getting into? It would be like marrying someone that cheated on his or her previous partner then turn around and be shocked when that person cheated on you.

PP was Donny Marshall bad as an analysts and I hope that NBCBoston doesn't do something stupid and hire him.
*Insert witty signature here.*
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#122 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:13 pm

Lol. You guys act like Paul Pierce held such a morally prestigious job talking about basketball. Anyone on this board could do the job Pierce was doing, and probably do a better job at it if we’re being honest. The only reason he got hired was because he is Paul Pierce, Finals MVP, and 10 time All Star. He didn’t get hired for useful analysis. Dude used to show up on the Jump high as hell. I’m honestly shocked it took this long for him to be released.

Paul’s already got a job lined up apparently, so don’t feel bad at all that he got fired. Might have been a smart move if he was actually trying to get out of his contract anyways. I see Pierce doing better at hosting a podcast like the Knuckleheads or All the Smoke, where the hosts are drinking Henny and smoking weed.

Speaking of which - if you haven’t seen them already, you should check those shows out with Pierce as the guest. Very entertaining. Matt Barnes is a great interviewer. And it was also interesting to see Pierce and Quentin Richardson have a chat and break down their beef (SPOILER: they were just competing and were cool off the court. It wasn’t over Brandy or some other female)

return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#123 » by return2glory » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:16 pm

Bottom line is this isn’t a big deal at all especially if Pierce didn’t need the ESPN job. Which doesn’t seem like he did.

Some people here brought up weed, race and morals as an issue. None of those things are in play here.

NBA players for the most part are like rock stars. They live that life. They aren’t roll models and shouldn’t have to be held to those standards. Pierce is having a good time.

NBA players do a lot worse. I constantly here stories from one of my closest friends who has lot of ties with Laker and Clippers players.

Just think sex, drugs and rock n’ roll. Minus the heavy drugs and rock n’ roll. And a lot of the wives know what they are up to because there is heavy cheating that goes on.

People shouldn’t judge professionals athletes personal lives anymore that rock stars.

Side note. I know of a billionaire that my friend knows. Former owner of a profession team (not NBA team). He lives in one state and his wife in another. They have lives that most people wouldn’t comprehend.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#124 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:19 pm

Ill News wrote:Not a cool thing to do by Pierce. Makes him look like a real sleazebag lol.

Would any of you welcome Pierce as a broadcaster for the Celtics, maybe in NBCS? I love him as a player, but man he's a horrible analyst with some of the cringiest takes you'll ever hear. I hope he never appears in any sort of media role again.

90% of professional athletes do this. They just don't put it on IG live.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#125 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:23 pm

jirrit wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
jirrit wrote:Offcourse this is very common in these athlete worlds but that cannot be the reason we should say its cool, eventhough theyre our idols?

We cant hold a different moral for stars just because theyre starts IMO. No one with children should do this or say to this ‘well its normal in that world’. Its also normal in some worlds to just constantly be influenced by drugs just to achieve. We shouldnt label that as normal either, eventhough it is normal in their world.

I don't see a big moral issue here at all. Consenting adults, and a drug that is less harmful than either alcohol or tobacco.

If y’all agree this ‘should be ok’ as a parent just because its normal in that world and because is less harmful than other drugs or whatever.

Just wows me bigtime and I aint no saint at all but the day I say to my children drugs are good and you should hang out with prostitutes is the day I’d rather be dead.

I'd rather my son smoke blunts and hire a few band-demic strippers for him and his boys than be on comm Ave shooting heroin like half of everyone else in boston.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#126 » by celtics543 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:34 pm

This is also a reminder not to take pro sports very seriously. Guys in the league are doing this nightly while you're upset because they lost.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#127 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:40 pm

Also, I’d like to add - I’d understand the outrage if this happened anywhere between 1998-2016. But Pierce doesn’t have to take care of his body anymore. He only needs to be healthy enough to talk. Doesn’t even need to be knowledgeable about the games, since it seems like most ESPN analysts don’t even watch games. Being a talking head is easy.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,002

Post#128 » by exculpatory » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:03 pm

Sorry.
Paul has provided me with more sports viewing excitement & happiness than any professional athlete I have ever watched over many decades.
And I am in no **** way a prude.
And I do not give a flying **** if he was dumb enough to get himself fired from ESPN.
And, if it happens to be your thing, tactfully indulging in some weed and/or women, is fine with me.
And I DNGA flying **** how many NBA players (or movie stars or billionaires) regularly partake in this meaningless crap.
If you are 44, married & a loving parent of 3 young children (who can access social media), getting high while strippers massage you & stick their asses in your face, & then posting it for the whole **** world to see (or, for that matter, even NOT posting it) are unspeakably immature behaviors which flagrantly disrespect/humiliate yourself & your entire family.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
bobbutts
Sophomore
And1: 155

Post#129 » by bobbutts » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:13 pm

Nobody cares if that happens behind closed doors. Posting it on social media was stupid.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#130 » by jfs1000d » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:05 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
druggas wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I feel like the people who are so appalled by this are the same type of dudes whose idea of letting loose on the weekend is to go out on a double-date with his wife, her brother and his wife, maybe go to the bowling alley and play a few games while having 2 beers, and then hitting up the Burger King drive-thru on the way home, because they sure as heck don’t want to stay out too late, because that would mean having to pay the babysitter overtime.

Seriously - if you have never spent a night with your boys, strippers, booze, and weed, I kind of feel bad for you. And if you’re going to argue that Pierce was stupid for doing it on IG live and getting fired for it - chances are good that you forgot that the Truth made almost $200 million (not including endorsements) over his NBA career. Whatever ESPN was paying him is probably what it would feel like for an average joe to be paid less than half of whatever minimum wage is. Would you work for minimum wage after retiring from your primary job? I hope you wouldn’t.

If you want to do stupid things on your time, just don't use social media or there might be consequences.

I mean Paul Pierce is a grown man, he is responsible for his own actions and the consequences that come with his actions. Broadcasting it live though is just plain stupid.

Exactly. Just ridiculous. Be classy. He wasn’t there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Old friend Paul Pierce 

Post#131 » by jfs1000d » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:08 pm

Astounding that some people take Pierce’s side. Literally not a single professional job...I am talking from a teacher to a manager at an insurance company, could get away with that.

Privacy people. The issue wasn’t what he was doing, it was that he flaunted it on Instagram.

There are people who are fine with Pierce doing they, and there are people who aren’t fine. But the company expects its people to represent the company in a professional way.

That is not professional.

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#132 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:30 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Astounding that some people take Pierce’s side. Literally not a single professional job...I am talking from a teacher to a manager at an insurance company, could get away with that.

Privacy people. The issue wasn’t what he was doing, it was that he flaunted it on Instagram.

There are people who are fine with Pierce doing they, and there are people who aren’t fine. But the company expects its people to represent the company in a professional way.

ESPN sells a magazine every year with naked athletes. Pretty funny that they’re taking the high ground now. Lol
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#133 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:43 pm

This thread has really helped me whittle down my list of people I’d like to catch a game with in Boston. Appreciate that!
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#134 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:49 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:This thread has really helped me whittle down my list of people I’d like to catch a game with in Boston. Appreciate that!

Am I on that list? If so, where’s the closest dispensary to the Garden? I’ll bring the weed. Lol
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#135 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:52 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:This thread has really helped me whittle down my list of people I’d like to catch a game with in Boston. Appreciate that!

Am I on that list? If so, where’s the closest dispensary to the Garden? I’ll bring the weed. Lol

Guess I’ll have to get the strippers lol
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#136 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:02 pm

This thread is incredible. It even made exculpatory flip on Pierce.
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,366

Post#137 » by tlee324 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:12 pm

I am just a city councilor in my little city and there's no way I could pull that crap off and get over on the public, lol. It wasn't necessarily the activities, but to broadcast it was just poor judgement.

Still keeping him as my avatar. I still liked what he did on the court.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#138 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:13 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Astounding that some people take Pierce’s side. Literally not a single professional job...I am talking from a teacher to a manager at an insurance company, could get away with that.

ESPN sells a magazine every year with naked athletes. Pretty funny that they’re taking the high ground now. Lol

Disney is perfectly fine firing his ass from a job he doesn't even need. The moral projection here is crazy, though. If people don't want to live like Pierce, don't. But none of us have any right to judge him, his morality, his lifestyle, or his parenting based on this. People are just being judgmental and projecting their morality onto someone else. Some might say that feeling authorized to do that is the true moral failing here.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#139 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:17 pm

tlee324 wrote:I am just a city councilor in my little city and there's no way I could pull that crap off and get over on the public, lol. It wasn't necessarily the activities, but to broadcast it was just poor judgement.

Still keeping him as my avatar. I still liked what he did on the court.

There's no way a politician could ever get away with that kind of behavior.

Haha, just kidding.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#140 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:20 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:

Disney is perfectly fine firing his ass from a job he doesn't even need. The moral projection here is crazy, though. If people don't want to live like Pierce, don't. But none of us have any right to judge him, his morality, his lifestyle, or his parenting based on this. People are just being judgmental and projecting their morality onto someone else. Some might say that feeling authorized to do that is the true moral failing here.

My favorite part about the whole thing is how people “feel bad for his children”. Quick question to those who feel that way - would your opinion about your dad change if you found out he had a night out with the boys playing poker, smoking some weed and hanging with strippers?

To answer my own question - I would be absolutely devastated if I saw my dad doing this.......because I didn’t get an invite to the party.

Return to Boston Celtics