ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: ESPN fired Paul Pierce after his racy Instagram Live video

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,936

Re: OT: ESPN fired Paul Pierce after his racy Instagram Live video 

Post#21 » by Capn'O » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:45 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:F*ck PP

You really got 6 +1s for this?

I'm a career PP hater and I really don't see why this is the horrific thing that no moral person can abide.

Shame on you all.

Let's burn more witches as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Albions-Seed-British-Folkways-cultural/dp/0195069056/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=albions+seed&qid=1617752750&sr=8-1

BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
egelband
Rookie
And1: 374

Post#22 » by egelband » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:03 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

I'm a career PP hater and I really don't see why this is the horrific thing that no moral person can abide.

Shame on you all.

https://www.amazon.com/Albions-Seed-British-Folkways-cultural/dp/0195069056/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=albions+seed&qid=1617752750&sr=8-1

I just dislike PP in general. Even if the story was, Paul Pierce checked his watch and went for a haircut I’d register my dislike somehow. It’s not even personal, really.
I dunno.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,530

Post#23 » by cgmw » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:19 am

Fat Kat wrote:
cgmw wrote:I've always been confused about why big name athletes end up at corporate media jobs. It just makes no sense. PP's net worth is supposedly $70,000,000. I realize more money is always better than less money, but really how much money was ESPN paying him? Couldn't be much.

His investments alone should spin off a minimum of $3,000,000/year of straight spendable income without even touching the principal. Which means his $70m should be closer to $150m in 10 years.

Judge the guy all you want, but ask yourself -- if you made $3,000,000/year WITHOUT WORKING, would you really give a F about keeping your corporate job at Walt Disney?

PS: God bless Shaq, but really what does he do with all that money??? I assume he only keeps the TNT job to get him more sponsorship deals, which makes sense considering his personality. Pierce, on the other hand, had no personality until this episode. Maybe he wants to open strip clubs after the pandemic?

A good percentage of them go broke for varying reasons. ESPN did a special on it years ago. Here’s a clip

And some of those analysts make millions, especially the ones on TNT. They’re trying to maintain a very expensive lifestyle, and only the players that continue to work can do it.

I appreciate that, but supposedly Pierce has $70m right now, which is far from broke. Shaq is reportedly worth nearly half a billion which tells me his TNT salary is a grain of salt and that he does the work for other reasons, probably because the platform helps him stay lathered in Icey Hot endorsements, among others.

I get why Kenny Smith or Jalen Rose needs the job, but at some point you gotta put up with a whole lotta corporate bullsh*t for what exactly? IDK how much they paid Pierce, but I'm guessing it was the difference between making $3m and $3.5m this year. Would that be enough to get you to go to work every day?

No man with nearly $100m in the bank is gonna want to get up and go to work for Walt Disney every day as a mid-level employee.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#24 » by Da_Mane_Man » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:46 am

cgmw wrote:I've always been confused about why big name athletes end up at corporate media jobs. It just makes no sense. PP's net worth is supposedly $70,000,000. I realize more money is always better than less money, but really how much money was ESPN paying him? Couldn't be much.

His investments alone should spin off a minimum of $3,000,000/year of straight spendable income without even touching the principal. Which means his $70m should be closer to $150m in 10 years.

Judge the guy all you want, but ask yourself -- if you made $3,000,000/year WITHOUT WORKING, would you really give a F about keeping your corporate job at Walt Disney?

PS: God bless Shaq, but really what does he do with all that money??? I assume he only keeps the TNT job to get him more sponsorship deals, which makes sense considering his personality. Pierce, on the other hand, had no personality until this episode. Maybe he wants to open strip clubs after the pandemic?

If you made 3 mil a year without working, you'd get pretty bored after a few years. Keep in mind that these guys have been partying long before they retired. They probably work these media jobs cause they enjoy them and it keeps them relevant.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,530

Post#25 » by cgmw » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:54 am

Da_Mane_Man wrote:

If you made 3 mil a year without working, you'd get pretty bored after a few years. Keep in mind that these guys have been partying long before they retired. They probably work these media jobs cause they enjoy them and it keeps them relevant.

No doubt. But is it any less depressing to work as a mid-level commentator for the big corporate national blah network? He's not exactly Juwan Howard coaching Michigan. I mean Shaq at least looks like he's actually having fun out there. Just my read, but Pierce is too damn wealthy to work a job as Rachel Nichol's backup sidekick.

The one i'll be interested to see is Vince Carter. That dude seems to have the suave corporate schtick down cold and actually seems to love it. (VC's net worth is supposedly $60m). I bet he ends up having a 30 year career in broadcasting.

PS: I'm boycotting Wendy's since they gave Reggie Miller a contract.

PPS: Pierce is doing a lot better than Antoine Walker, whom I saw at MSG two seasons ago. He was so unbelievably and incredibly fat that security let him through because they thought he was Shaq.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Montmorencie
Rookie
And1: 825

Post#26 » by Montmorencie » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:28 am

I doubt most of the NBA players end like Jordan, Shaq or LeBron at the end of their careers. I mean, no disrespect, but most of these guys are either dumb overall or totally unable to manage their finance.

Isn't Steven A Smith getting paid more than 10 mills a year? I doubt HOF-amers are getting significantly less.

The idea is not that bad, the execution is terrible.

Barkley, Jalen Rose, C Webb, Vince, Pippen, Barnes, Richard Jefferson(yes, I said it) are not bad at all. Meanwhile Perkins, Pierce, Hollins, Shaq etc are terrible, biased and with huge ego that doesn't fit the job.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#27 » by dakomish23 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#28 » by dakomish23 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:14 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

Shame on you all.

Wut?

I could care less if PP was sniffing a oz of blow off the skeziest hookers in existence.

I just hate PP in general.

I’m disappointed that you said “could care less” instead of “would be beaming with the joy of a father who’s first child took their first steps”.

Puritan
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,838

Post#29 » by Spree2Houston » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:25 pm

Pierce intentionally posted that . He wanted to get fired and collect his severance. I guess the Truth came out
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,259

Post#30 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:02 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:You really got 6 +1s for this?

Shame on you all.

Wut?

I could care less if PP was sniffing a oz of blow off the skeziest hookers in existence.

I just hate PP in general.

I’m disappointed that you said “could care less” instead of “would be beaming with the joy of a father who’s first child took their first steps”.

Puritan

:D
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#31 » by Rasho Brezec » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:31 pm

cgmw wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

A good percentage of them go broke for varying reasons. ESPN did a special on it years ago. Here’s a clip

And some of those analysts make millions, especially the ones on TNT. They’re trying to maintain a very expensive lifestyle, and only the players that continue to work can do it.

I appreciate that, but supposedly Pierce has $70m right now, which is far from broke. Shaq is reportedly worth nearly half a billion which tells me his TNT salary is a grain of salt and that he does the work for other reasons, probably because the platform helps him stay lathered in Icey Hot endorsements, among others.

I get why Kenny Smith or Jalen Rose needs the job, but at some point you gotta put up with a whole lotta corporate bullsh*t for what exactly? IDK how much they paid Pierce, but I'm guessing it was the difference between making $3m and $3.5m this year. Would that be enough to get you to go to work every day?

No man with nearly $100m in the bank is gonna want to get up and go to work for Walt Disney every day as a mid-level employee.

You're not considering the possibility that some of these people can't adjust to a life outside the spotlight.
louisorr
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,387

Post#32 » by louisorr » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:27 pm

Good for ESPN.
Good for PP.
Bad for the rest of us who seem to give a crap.
(including me)
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#33 » by RHODEY » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:34 pm

cgmw wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

Depends. Those TNT dudes look like they are having a ball. Barkley said he is blessed to get paid for sitting around talking basketball. Maybe for them its like being at a bar..maybe more fun than work in their eyes. And a way to stay close to the sport that made them who they are.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,372

Post#34 » by Ray Williams » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:17 pm

Not the best looking strippers in the world.
louisorr
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,387

Post#35 » by louisorr » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:29 pm

Ray Williams wrote:

Or the room. Looks like a drafty mcmansion furnished by Office Depot.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#36 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:06 pm

Ray Williams wrote:

"The corporates aren't going to like this Yogi!!!"
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,790

Post#37 » by jc23 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:59 pm

Paul Pierce look like Beetlejuice from the Howard Stern show.
Be curious, Not judgmental

Return to New York Knicks