ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Chris Boucher's time with the team also numbered?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Re: Is Chris Boucher's time with the team also numbered? 

Post#21 » by Dalek » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:39 pm

His dollar amount is great for his production. He can't really play C and shouldn't, but he has hugely impactful games for a bench guy making $7m. He is a fringe six man candidate if Toronto won a few more games and was in the playoffs.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#22 » by will » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:54 pm

On a normal team, Father BooShay would be balling off the bench as a stretch 4.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,371

Post#23 » by phanman » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:56 pm

What an odd thread. He's one of the few bright spots on the team this season having a great year. At 7m that is fantastic value, especially with our team where our front court production is lacking. Perfect big to have off the bench since he has that high energy, garbage man feel while still being able to hit the open 3. Capable of playing both the 4 and 5 depending on matchups.
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,378

Post#24 » by visionquest » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:06 pm

He's a bargain and would welcome the Raptors declining the Team Option.
rrdjutriurt
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#25 » by rrdjutriurt » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:09 pm

Chris is a winning player and can impact the game on so many levels when he's on. What we pay him is true value and no way would i trade him. His ability to hit the three at a high level to go along with his length is not easy to replace without paying more. He brings great intensity, speed, mobility and would be perfect as a four rather then a center.
NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - BLAKE GRIFFIN
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#26 » by Parataxis » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:28 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Parataxis wrote:He's improved every year, and is cost controlled for at least another season (and probably isn't looking at a 20/year contract after that either).

Why would we get rid of him now? He's exactly the sort of player you want to help fill in the bench.

really depends on what the Raptors do in free agency. but the main priority is getting 5 quality starters on the floor first. bench is a luxury.

The bench is secondary to getting quality starters, but when you already have good pieces on the bench, it makes more sense to keep them than to throw them away and hope to find similar pieces again after filling out your starters.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,716

Post#27 » by VanWest82 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:31 pm

I wouldn't at all be surprised if we just decline his option. I don't think he's a big time asset or anything. It will probably have everything to do with what we do in FA and the draft.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,890

Post#28 » by Merit » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:10 pm

I think the choices are - do we flip him in aggregate for a better player looking to get paid (John Collins?), do we sign and trade him in a package for a star (Kawhi?) or do we shoot for the moon next season and try to hang on to him at his low cap hit as a key bench player

I think he could get traded, but it would definitely be for someone significantly better or with better upside. His contract has too much surplus value next season.
I believe in Masai.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#29 » by johanliebert » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:10 pm

Boucher is far from expensive. He got 2nd unit money on a good team he plays the 4 off the bench to provide a spark.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,886

Post#30 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:29 pm

Psubs wrote:The question is do you decline the team option for a team friendly long-term deal?

Am sure he would sign it too. His agent might call it dirty pool in terms of lowballing him for security. He prob is worth the Biennial longer term. Nurse has his issues with Boucher but I think management likes what he brings.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,594

Post#31 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:08 pm

ItsDanger wrote:He's a flawed player. A modern day 5 game in a 4 body. He's neutralized when other teams are physical. Bench 4 at $6.5M, might be too pricey.

..in an underweight 4 body at that.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#32 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:09 pm

will wrote:On a normal team, Father BooShay would be balling off the bench as a stretch 4.

I'm not sure I picture him on any other team.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#33 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:10 pm

Danny1616 wrote:Well we have a team option for 7m a year which is a very fair contract.

He's a nice utility player off the bench who is useful in certain matchups. He's a nice bench piece or could be used in a package for a solid starter.

I'd like a guy who was useful in all matchups.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,545

Post#34 » by 2019nbachamps » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:14 pm

I can’t see him staying beyond next season. I expect him to get traded this summer or by next deadline. He has earned the right to secure one more big pay day. Doesn’t make sense for us to pay him big bucks. One of those cases where it’s in the benefit of both parties to go separate ways.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,545

Post#35 » by 2019nbachamps » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:16 pm

johanliebert wrote:Boucher is far from expensive. He got 2nd unit money on a good team he plays the 4 off the bench to prove a spark.

He’s good value now but he’ll want $10m+ a year in his next deal. I hate when this is said but he can be replaced.
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#36 » by Marmoset » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:20 pm

VanWest82 wrote:I wouldn't at all be surprised if we just decline his option. I don't think he's a big time asset or anything. It will probably have everything to do with what we do in FA and the draft.

if they were going to decline the option wouldn't they have just moved him at the deadline? Thomas and TD brought back 2nds and Boucher is more valuable than they are. (Thomas for sure, but I believe over TD as well). It's possible something could still happen in terms of FA/draft but then you could still move him for a pick or two rather than decline the option and lose him for nothing.

I would like to keep him but it depends on other moves the team makes or doesn't make. His contract is very reasonable for what he brings to the team. It's not his fault that he has to play outside of his ideal role at times because we have no other alternative. Yes, he is a limited player, but so are most players. He can score, shoot, block shots, plays hard, and plays solid defense when he's up against guys he's built to defend (i.e. not true #1 centres).
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#37 » by will » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:36 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
will wrote:On a normal team, Father BooShay would be balling off the bench as a stretch 4.

I'm not sure I picture him on any other team.

Well played, Sir.

Well played.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#38 » by Metallikid » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:47 pm

If he could stop jumping on pump fakes every team in the League would want a player like him.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,716

Post#39 » by VanWest82 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:48 pm

Marmoset wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:I wouldn't at all be surprised if we just decline his option. I don't think he's a big time asset or anything. It will probably have everything to do with what we do in FA and the draft.

if they were going to decline the option wouldn't they have just moved him at the deadline? Thomas and TD brought back 2nds and Boucher is more valuable than they are. (Thomas for sure, but I believe over TD as well). It's possible something could still happen in terms of FA/draft but then you could still move him for a pick or two rather than decline the option and lose him for nothing.

I would like to keep him but it depends on other moves the team makes or doesn't make. His contract is very reasonable for what he brings to the team. It's not his fault that he has to play outside of his ideal role at times because we have no other alternative. Yes, he is a limited player, but so are most players. He can score, shoot, block shots, plays hard, and plays solid defense when he's up against guys he's built to defend (i.e. not true #1 centres).

Like I said, I don't think he's much of an asset but we need him for the rest of this season because we have no one else.

Thomas and TD are on min contracts and are exceptional shooters. Even though they weren't in the rotation it makes sense they'd have some value to certain teams.

Boucher is a little trickier. He's shooting well but his form is terrible, and his track record suggests it might be an outlier. He's also pretty bad defensively doing anything other than help defense at the rim. But mainly, because of his salary (6M+) it's harder to just outright trade him for a pick unless you're taking back salary someone else doesn't want. I'd rather just cut bait in the off season and try to find better players or similar guys on cheaper deals.
Raptors_128
Analyst
And1: 3,275

Post#40 » by Raptors_128 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:12 pm

I think we could have signed Boucher to a cheaper contract if we offered him more term and fully guaranteed the contract. He’ll probably want $10+ million on his next contract now which I don’t think we pay.

Return to Toronto Raptors