Too Convenient....

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Re: Too Convenient.... 

Post#21 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:29 pm

Yes. Beasley is injured.

Yes. Rosas will DEFINITELY use the "but we haven't been able to see the team I put together yet" card every chance he can if his job is on the line. More time = more possible it is to land a generational talent to get Rosas (and the Wolves and all of the fans) out of his very big mess.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#22 » by Jedzz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:44 pm

Norseman79 wrote:Do I think people faked injuries, not at all. Do I think people may have been sat out longer, or brought back slower than necessary....seems like it. I hadn't thought this out when initially posted because I didn't think people would lose their ever loving minds over an unlikely , but humorous scenario.

:lol: We have to think out every possible misinterpretation whether literal or imaginary that might occur before posting or risk the volcano erupting. Posts for fun might turn some into deadly sourpusses. Just let it roll off your shoulder...I keep trying to tell myself.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#23 » by Baseline81 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:19 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Yes. Beasley is injured.

Yes. Rosas will DEFINITELY use the "but we haven't been able to see the team I put together yet" card every chance he can if his job is on the line. More time = more possible it is to land a generational talent to get Rosas (and the Wolves and all of the fans) out of his very big mess.

It's really all Rosas can fall back on as he doesn't have many options -- he's made his own bed.

Depending on how the team finishes the season, it can only have a 40% chance, at best, to keep the pick. Additionally, the team doesn't have financial flexibility for FA. Trades can only get you so far when the pieces aren't worth much.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,604

Post#24 » by shrink » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:58 pm

Do I think these injuries are real? Mostly, but keep in mind that just because Rosas tells you “it’s a Grade 3 tear,” does not mean that’s true. Longtime NBA fans can remember back when we had an Injured Reserve list, and the two players your coach needed the least often miraculously developed, “tendonitis” or “back spasms” .. which is what they just claimed for Rubio.

As I posted elsewhere, it is highly convenient that Malik is out when Russell comes back, keeping 30 minutes of SG open. This season isn’t about wins any more. They still want to evaluate Nowell, and McLaughlin. They would to mind rehabbing some trade value out of Culver and Okogie.

I tend to think that we would have seen more of these players if the Wolves were playing for something this year. But the players were injured.

Do I think Finch will use injuries as an excuse for not getting wins? Absolutely, every time. Better than admitting to fans, “wins isn’t our most important goal.”
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,397

Post#25 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:59 pm

shrink wrote:Do I think these injuries are real? Mostly, but keep in mind that just because Rosas tells you “it’s a Grade 3 tear,” does not mean that’s true. Longtime NBA fans can remember back when we had an Injured Reserve list, and the two players your coach needed the least often miraculously developed, “tendonitis” or “back spasms” .. which is what they just claimed for Rubio.

As I posted elsewhere, it is highly convenient that Malik is out when Russell comes back, keeping 30 minutes of SG open. This season isn’t about wins any more. They still want to evaluate Nowell, and McLaughlin. They would to mind rehabbing some trade value out of Culver and Okogie.

I tend to think that we would have seen more of these players if the Wolves were playing for something this year. But the players were injured.

Do I think Finch will use injuries as an excuse for not getting wins? Absolutely, every time. Better than admitting to fans, “wins isn’t our most important goal.”

Counter points.

1. If the Wolves move up to 3rd playing the best unit they keep the 40% chance of keeping their pick and roughly cut in half the ability of GSW to get a top 4-5 pick. If GSW gets 4 or 5 and a top player then it reflects badly on Rosas and people will say he blew another trade (Culver being the first.)

2. Establishing chemistry with the full healthy roster and running trial and error on different play sets is far more valuable for Finch in preparing for next season. Teams always get slack at the beginning of the season and having Dlo back from a long absence and Beasley back from a long suspension with KAT also playing with a sore left wrist would get similar slack.

3. Winning at the end of the season builds hype for next season. This hype is important if the TC is going to be at or near capacity with the mass distribution of Covid Vaccine. Taylor will want to start charging more and selling out and that is not done by limping to the finish line on another bad season.

I could go on, but I disagree with your premise that this is advantageous to anyone. Minutes for the sake of minutes won’t help Culver or Okogie if they come in garbage time. You need competitive games on a surging team to truly rebuild brands.
shrink
RealGM

Post#26 » by shrink » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:19 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:Do I think these injuries are real? Mostly, but keep in mind that just because Rosas tells you “it’s a Grade 3 tear,” does not mean that’s true. Longtime NBA fans can remember back when we had an Injured Reserve list, and the two players your coach needed the least often miraculously developed, “tendonitis” or “back spasms” .. which is what they just claimed for Rubio.

Counter points.

1. If the Wolves move up to 3rd playing the best unit they keep the 40% chance of keeping their pick and roughly cut in half the ability of GSW to get a top 4-5 pick. If GSW gets 4 or 5 and a top player then it reflects badly on Rosas and people will say he blew another trade (Culver being the first.)

2. Establishing chemistry with the full healthy roster and running trial and error on different play sets is far more valuable for Finch in preparing for next season. Teams always get slack at the beginning of the season and having Dlo back from a long absence and Beasley back from a long suspension with KAT also playing with a sore left wrist would get similar slack.

3. Winning at the end of the season builds hype for next season. This hype is important if the TC is going to be at or near capacity with the mass distribution of Covid Vaccine. Taylor will want to start charging more and selling out and that is not done by limping to the finish line on another bad season.

I could go on, but I disagree with your premise that this is advantageous to anyone. Minutes for the sake of minutes won’t help Culver or Okogie if they come in garbage time. You need competitive games on a surging team to truly rebuild brands.

Good post.

1. Personally I think it’s already well established he lost the trade. I just listened to the latest Duncan and Hollinger podcast, where they reviewed the deadline trades of 2020. Rosas comes out as the one big loser, with Wiggins and DLo having comparable value, and the Wolves being so bad that the pick has more value.

2. Yes, I can see that full team chemistry would be a plus. But we are a long way from that. I think Finch first needs to evaluate individual players, and two-man combos, and three man combos. Does Culver have a role on the team next year? Nowell?

3. Minutes for Culver and Okogie, even garbage minutes, is better for trade value than DNP-CD’s. Opposing GM’s may think, “you can’t get minutes on a horrible team? What will you pay me to take that unproductive contract off your books?”

Dane and Britt seem to think Rosas may be pulling a “stealth tank” here, to explain some of the inexplainable GM and Coach decisions before Finch. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but getting a player like Suggs will sell tickets. They may be putting off the re-brand until the off-season, particularly if a new owner wants to put his stamp on it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#27 » by shrink » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:26 pm

I would add evidence to the OP that in Dane’s most recent podcast, he throws a lot of doubt on Rosas honesty about injuries.

He pointed out that leading up to the game, both Rubio and Russell were listed as “doubtful” which he claims means there is a 99.9% chance they won’t play, but may be ready next week. It was only three hours prior to the game that they announced both players would be available.

“Questionable” seems like a more honest description, and I would add that this isn’t the first time bettors in Vegas have seen Rosas be a little deceptive with injury reports.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves