Draft Night Deal: Pistons/Warriors

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Re: Draft Night Deal: Pistons/Warriors 

Post#21 » by gswhoops » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:03 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Yeah the Minnesota pick ain’t happening. Grant isn’t worth a top-5 pick, even if “OMG YOU DUMP WIGGINZ”
What's the price of real title contention?

Consensus seems to be that Wiggins is negative value on that contract and it will take a asset to move him.

Let's assume that asset is the Warriors 2021 first round pick.

You then have to give up something of value for Grant. That could be Wiseman or the Minnesota pick but you really shouldn't expect Detroit (fans) to ask for anything less than that when:

1 - it makes you a contender (assuming reasonable health from Klay)

2 - Grant chose Detroit not just for basketball reasons and we'd be moving him after ONE season

3 - Grant has proven to be worth his contract!

Personally I wouldn't trade Grant for anything except a overpay simply. He's been a shining light all season.

IF the Warriors want to make a big move they're going to have to pay a heavy price.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app

I’m glad y’all are happy with Grant (this isn’t sarcasm btw) but there is no way the difference between Wiggins and Grant, strictly in terms of on-court production, elevates GS to contender status.

I understand why Detroit wouldn’t want to move him for less, but that doesn’t mean it’s worth the cost for us.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#22 » by killmongrel » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:57 pm

Yes from the Warriors. Tell me where to sign and let's do this.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#23 » by tmorgan » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:06 am

With only two future years left and a year of (what seems to be) better defense, i don’t think it quite takes #14 to move Wiggins, but it’s close. I think #14 is just a little light for Grant, but not by much. Grant and Plumlee for both is a free Grant at the very least.

I’m honestly not sure it’s something I really want to do, but given how sketchy he’s looked this year, If the Warriors want to contend next year the piece to move is Wiseman. His cluelessness on defense doesn’t matter right now in Detroit, and it would be interesting to see if he can play with Stewart. They are very different and might make an interesting combo up front.

So I’d submit Wiggins, GSW#1 and Wiseman for Grant, Plumlee, and an asset from Detroit. Or perhaps something less than GSW#1. If they’re feeling confident about next year, is GSW#1 ‘22 available? Lotto *win* protected, not lotto protected.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#24 » by Pharaoh » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:49 am

gswhoops wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Yeah the Minnesota pick ain’t happening. Grant isn’t worth a top-5 pick, even if “OMG YOU DUMP WIGGINZ”
What's the price of real title contention?

Consensus seems to be that Wiggins is negative value on that contract and it will take a asset to move him.

Let's assume that asset is the Warriors 2021 first round pick.

You then have to give up something of value for Grant. That could be Wiseman or the Minnesota pick but you really shouldn't expect Detroit (fans) to ask for anything less than that when:

1 - it makes you a contender (assuming reasonable health from Klay)

2 - Grant chose Detroit not just for basketball reasons and we'd be moving him after ONE season

3 - Grant has proven to be worth his contract!

Personally I wouldn't trade Grant for anything except a overpay simply. He's been a shining light all season.

IF the Warriors want to make a big move they're going to have to pay a heavy price.

I’m glad y’all are happy with Grant (this isn’t sarcasm btw) but there is no way the difference between Wiggins and Grant, strictly in terms of on-court production, elevates GS to contender status.

I understand why Detroit wouldn’t want to move him for less, but that doesn’t mean it’s worth the cost for us.
Then thanks for the call and we'll talk again soon is how that would likely go down.

The Pistons are in no rush to move Grant.

If the Warriors want to actually contend they'll have to make a move

Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#25 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:23 am

tmorgan wrote:With only two future years left and a year of (what seems to be) better defense, i don’t think it quite takes #14 to move Wiggins, but it’s close. I think #14 is just a little light for Grant, but not by much. Grant and Plumlee for both is a free Grant at the very least.

I’m honestly not sure it’s something I really want to do, but given how sketchy he’s looked this year, If the Warriors want to contend next year the piece to move is Wiseman. His cluelessness on defense doesn’t matter right now in Detroit, and it would be interesting to see if he can play with Stewart. They are very different and might make an interesting combo up front.

So I’d submit Wiggins, GSW#1 and Wiseman for Grant, Plumlee, and an asset from Detroit. Or perhaps something less than GSW#1. If they’re feeling confident about next year, is GSW#1 ‘22 available? Lotto *win* protected, not lotto protected.

He definitely can't play with Stewart, but he'll be better for getting bullied by Stewart in practice. They have some history and in HS and AAU, Stewart used to really push him around. I don't think many people caught this, but in the Warriors/Pistons game earlier this year in Detroit, Wiseman and Stewart nearly got chest to chest without the refs noticing. The camera angle switched right as it happened too, but Wiseman was definitely fed up.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,254

Post#26 » by GreekAlex » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:31 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:
tmorgan wrote:With only two future years left and a year of (what seems to be) better defense, i don’t think it quite takes #14 to move Wiggins, but it’s close. I think #14 is just a little light for Grant, but not by much. Grant and Plumlee for both is a free Grant at the very least.

He definitely can't play with Stewart, but he'll be better for getting bullied by Stewart in practice. They have some history and in HS and AAU, Stewart used to really push him around. I don't think many people caught this, but in the Warriors/Pistons game earlier this year in Detroit, Wiseman and Stewart nearly got chest to chest without the refs noticing. The camera angle switched right as it happened too, but Wiseman was definitely fed up.

It was interesting hearing Stewart talk about the way teams/ scouts projected Wiseman so far ahead of him in the draft after he said that he got the better of him all their many years playing against each other.

His contention was that he’s a lot more than just measurables.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,291

Post#27 » by babyjax13 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:18 am

I think this takes the Minnesota pick, not the Golden State pick.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#28 » by NotACat » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:45 pm

Very easy no for Detroit
Black Lives Matter
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,036

Post#29 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:27 pm

WIggins just kills any deal where positive value is coming back. People can say he's all of a sudden some great defender now, fact remains he's an absolute negative player, so attaching a mid rounder to him does not net a player like Grant
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#30 » by Drwho17 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:55 pm

vege wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:
vege wrote:I don't mind trading Grant, he has not been good after a great start, but there is no way in hell I'm eating Wigging without being handsonly paid, and #14 is not close to be enough to take on Wiggins, let alone give up 2 positive assets in Grant and Plumlee.

If GSW can give me straight up cap space, the #14 is enough for Grant tho.

Well Grant/Plumlee/Wiggins expire at the same time and the Pistons are in for a 2 year rebuild beyond this season while the Warriors maximize their 2 year window beyond this season. I think it depends who Pistons take with their own pick.

Doesn't matter if Wiggins expire at the same time as Grant and Plumlee. If you want to make me eat his contract, you need to pay me, and it won't be cheap.

He is awful and his contract is a joke. I would probably want more than the Minny pick to eat 2 years of Wiggins.

Weaver is (Please Use More Appropriate Word), so I don't know maybe he would pay to trade for Wiggins. He has paid Houston to take Wood off our hand.

The pick was for Stewart (#16)/Ariza/cash and a 2nd, the S&T negotiations after Wood agreed to terms with Houston allowed the Pistons to increase the protections on the future 1st they sent for Stewart.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#31 » by vege » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:11 pm

Drwho17 wrote:
vege wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:
Well Grant/Plumlee/Wiggins expire at the same time and the Pistons are in for a 2 year rebuild beyond this season while the Warriors maximize their 2 year window beyond this season. I think it depends who Pistons take with their own pick.

Doesn't matter if Wiggins expire at the same time as Grant and Plumlee. If you want to make me eat his contract, you need to pay me, and it won't be cheap.

He is awful and his contract is a joke. I would probably want more than the Minny pick to eat 2 years of Wiggins.

Weaver is (Please Use More Appropriate Word), so I don't know maybe he would pay to trade for Wiggins. He has paid Houston to take Wood off our hand.

The pick was for Stewart (#16)/Ariza/cash and a 2nd, the S&T negotiations after Wood agreed to terms with Houston allowed the Pistons to increase the protections on the future 1st they sent for Stewart.

Like I said, Weaver donated Wood to Houston. Houston had no cap space, Ariza's salary and #16 are exactly the money they had to pay wood. The protections are laughable, increased like 2 spots. He did Houston a huge favor.

Return to Trades and Transactions