ImageImageImageImageImage

The Strangers vs The Blue Hyays (April 5,6 and 7)

Moderator: JaysRule15

Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,359

Re: The Strangers vs The Blue Hyays (April 5,6 and 7) 

Post#241 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:43 pm

If Tellez can't hit 95mph fastballs in the heart of the plate, he's not long for this team. It looks like he's distracted, and operating in slow motion. The swing looks really long.

It's a long season, not reading too much into this. But definitely disappointing to drop 2 of 3 against the rebuilding Rangers.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,144

Post#242 » by rapstarter » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:43 pm

s e n s i wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
s e n s i wrote:ryu has....not been very good.

He’s been just fine. Gotta score some runs off an opposing starting pitcher who was terrible last season and got bombed in his only start this season. Zero is not going to do it.

6 pitches hit over 100 mph, 9 over 95. 9 out of the 15 hardest hit balls in the game we're off ryu. that's some solid contact all game long which could have easily resulted in more than 2 runs for the rangers, which at that point you're asking your offense for a lot more than what they'll need now.

2 runs in 7 innings with subpar defense behind. He was fine.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#243 » by The_Hater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:44 pm

s e n s i wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
s e n s i wrote:ryu has....not been very good.

He’s been just fine. Gotta score some runs off an opposing starting pitcher who was terrible last season and got bombed in his only start this season. Zero is not going to do it.

6 pitches hit over 100 mph, 9 over 95. 9 out of the 15 hardest hit balls in the game we're off ryu. that's some solid contact all game long which could have easily resulted in more than 2 runs for the rangers, which at that point you're asking your offense for a lot more than what they'll need now.

Like I said, Ryu was just fine. I never said he was great but he kept us in the game. And that’s even ignoring the run that Vlad gave them with a poor defensive play.

We still didn’t score and we also made a mess out of a couple of situations where we should have been able to cash a run or 2.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,974

Post#244 » by JaysRule15 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:47 pm

That at-bat by Tellez was tough to watch. 95 mph fastball middle of the plate in a 3-2 count. Gotta at least make contact there.
The_Hater

Post#245 » by The_Hater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:48 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:If Tellez can't hit 95mph fastballs in the heart of the plate, he's not long for this team. It looks like he's distracted, and operating in slow motion. The swing looks really long.

It's a long season, not reading too much into this. But definitely disappointing to drop 2 of 3 against the rebuilding Rangers.

He missed that last one but I think the bigger problem is that most of the fastballs Tellez swings this year at are on the paint or out of the strike zone. He’ll get a favourable count and then swings at a fastball on the paint or just as likely, swings at a couple of balls off the plate and put himself into an 0-2 or 1-2 hole.

I was never a big fan of his and hes not doing much to alter my opinion. Hopefully he turns it around soon.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,546

Post#246 » by s e n s i » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:50 pm

The_Hater wrote:
s e n s i wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Like I said, Ryu was just fine. I never said he was great but he kept us in the game. And that’s even ignoring the run that Vlad gave them with a poor defensive play.

We still didn’t score and we also made a mess out of a couple of situations where we should have been able to cash a run or 2.

I'd hope his next start he's better than "just fine" and can limit the hard contact to be honest
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,359

Post#247 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:52 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:That at-bat by Tellez was tough to watch. 95 mph fastball middle of the plate in a 3-2 count. Gotta at least make contact there.

He watched a first pitch meatball right down the middle. Then swung through two very hittable fastballs over the plate to strikeout.

Very tough to watch for sure. He had that hot start in spring training, and has been a serious funk ever since.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
The_Hater

Post#248 » by The_Hater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:57 pm

s e n s i wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
s e n s i wrote:

I'd hope his next start he's better than "just fine" and can limit the hard contact to be honest

Who is this MLB starting pitcher that you think dominates every start and rarely allows hard contact? If that was an off game for Ryu then were in very good shape this season. I’m pretty sure he’ll have at least a couple of outings worse than today.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,546

Post#249 » by s e n s i » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:12 pm

The_Hater wrote:
s e n s i wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Who is this MLB starting pitcher that you think dominates every start and rarely allows hard contact? If that was an off game for Ryu then were in very good shape this season. I’m pretty sure he’ll have at least a couple of outings worse than today.

what are you going on about, actually? like what lmao

he gave up some hard contact today (which you don't appear to be disagreeing with). i hope he limits the hard contact in his next start. that's really it, but keep going.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#250 » by vaff87 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:48 pm

The_Hater wrote:
vaff87 wrote:Elite defensive play by the should be DH

Are we allowed to criticize anyone on the Jays? Even when we have evidence to back us up? I never knew you to be like this before vaff

Well if you’re going to criticize him for not making a play that he’ll get better at with more experience, you should credit him for making a play that most other first basemen can’t make, because they don’t have the arm strength.

The idea that Vladdy can’t play first is ridiculous to me. He’s more athletic and more talented than most first basemen. But he has very little experience.
The_Hater

Post#251 » by The_Hater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:03 pm

vaff87 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
vaff87 wrote:Elite defensive play by the should be DH

Are we allowed to criticize anyone on the Jays? Even when we have evidence to back us up? I never knew you to be like this before vaff

Well if you’re going to criticize him for not making a play that he’ll get better at with more experience, you should credit him for making a play that most other first basemen can’t make, because they don’t have the arm strength.

The idea that Vladdy can’t play first is ridiculous to me. He’s more athletic and more talented than most first basemen. But he has very little experience.

I didn’t see the play you're talking about btw and I didn’t think the previous play, the tag on the errant throw, was anything special.

But just so that you’re aware, it seemed everyone praised his defense after game 1, but even after 4 games (he was DH once) his dWAR was still -0.4 which is pretty close to the same pace as 2020.

I had no problem with you defending Kirk, he was good defensively in the minors based on the evidence you provided and our MLB sample size is pretty small, but we have a decent sample size for Vlade and none of it has been positive so far. Your argument with Kirk was we have stats to back it up but your argument here appears to be ignore the stats.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#252 » by vaff87 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:51 pm

The_Hater wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I didn’t see the play you're talking about btw and I didn’t think the previous play, the tag on the errant throw, was anything special.

But just so that you’re aware, it seemed everyone praised his defense after game 1, but even after 4 games (he was DH once) his dWAR was still -0.4 which is pretty close to the same pace as 2020.

I had no problem with you defending Kirk, he was good defensively in the minors based on the evidence you provided and our MLB sample size is pretty small, but we have a decent sample size for Vlade and none of it has been positive so far. Your argument with Kirk was we have stats to back it up but your argument here appears to be ignore the stats.

My argument isn’t that he’s a ‘good’ first baseman right now. It’s that his mistakes are mostly experience related, and saying he’s a butcher that’s destined to be a DH in a year is unfair and short-sighted.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#253 » by LLJ » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:03 pm

Disappointing loss. Ryu started last season pretty slow too from what I can recall, but this one isn't on him. Offense wasn't getting it today
rotty
Head Coach
And1: 35,090

Post#254 » by rotty » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:24 pm

The approach at the plate is just insanely bad. Dan was talking about this near the start of the broadcast that we are one of the worst walk teams (even though its a small sample) but still this game proves that this team needs to improve on that end.

Biggio in a bases loaded situation should not be swinging at the first pitch with two outs. Guerrero should not be swinging at 3-0 yet, yes he's off to a hot start but we have 0 runs on the board, draw a walk and then go from there. Gurriel i feel has been swinging at first pitches so much this year and I dont know why. Just see some pitches.

Teoscar looked foolish today. Hope 2020 wasnt a fluke.

The team had a total of 12 strikeouts and just one walk for this game alone. I wonder why these players have a green light when the offense has been bad to start the year.

Again just 6 games played but you'd think these areas should have seen a massive improvement and it just seems like its 2020 again.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,720

Post#255 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:25 pm

That sucked. I missed the entire game, I was working from home. Ugh. Stupid day afternoon games during the week not on Thursdays.
(Thursday & Sunday are my days off by choice). Not it for making the new series/game thread.
nizaam
Sixth Man
And1: 415

Post#256 » by nizaam » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:18 am

rarefind wrote:Honestly, the Rangers and state of Texas is a joke that isn't funny at this point.

The fact that Manfred is allowing this is actually insanity. The Rangers clearly don't give a **** about their fans' safety nor the Blue Jays or their own players as well. Surely the state of Texas rather pretend that there pandemic is not a real thing but the MLB should know better.

One home opener series was postponed due to COVID-19 concerns and another is being played in front of a full stadium. You literally cannot make this up if you tried.

The fans chose to be there. The players chose to be there. If a player didnt feel safe I GUARANTEE they could sit it out with no reprecussion. I think they were hqppy to be playing in front of a stadium of fans but thats just me.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,444

Post#257 » by Cyrus » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:22 am

This team on a small sample size, still struggles to hit fastballs (Over 92+) for whatever reason. They also don't get alot runs for just hits, it's generally no one on HR.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,305

Post#258 » by TOStateofMind » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:59 am

Last 2 games stunk, they really made some below avg pitchers look good. Need the bats to get going big time.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,065

Post#259 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:23 am

It’s 6 games. The team will hit. And nobody should be worried about Ryu, he was fine as well.

Defense remains the significant concern with this team.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Aimless Outlook
Senior
And1: 42

Post#260 » by Aimless Outlook » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:56 pm

While watching them today was pretty frustrating, I'm excited to see the offense hit their stride. I'd still rather talk/read about Rowdy's 0 for 16 than anything to do with covid and masks on here... *cough*

Return to Toronto Blue Jays