ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Re: 2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1 

Post#1981 » by douggood » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:40 pm

isyed wrote:Super easy. Tank to sneak into bottom 5 and get a top 3 pick.

Use capspace to sign underrated free agent. I would go hard for Collins or Allen.

Sign and trade lowry for a 20 mill trade exception. We use it later in the season or next off season for another player.

Use the second rounders for senior bigmen.

Use mle for under the radar free agent. Use Bi annual to bring back gasol.

Resign gtj after signing our free agent.

No playoffs gives our guys rest for the first time in years and let's Siakam and og develop their games even more.

Fvv/flynn
Gtj/cade/
Og/MLE/bembry
Siakam/boucher/2nd rounder
Allen(or Collins) / gasol/2nd rounder

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using RealGM mobile app

- If you s&t lowry for TPE, TPE counts towards cap, so you dont have cap room to sign a free agent.
- You dont get the full MLE (apx 9.5) when you are under the cap, you get room MLE which is apx ($4.5)
- Gasol signed a 2 year deal with lakers (and it is expected that he will retire at end of season)
- Collins already turned down $90/4 from Atlanta, where do we get cap room to offer him a max or near max offer sheet?
- plus our projected cap space is on the lower end of the projected jarret allen market.
- not to mention both are RFA
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,758

Post#1982 » by MessiahUjiri » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:51 pm

douggood wrote:

Use capspace to sign underrated free agent. I would go hard for Collins or Allen.

Sign and trade lowry for a 20 mill trade exception. We use it later in the season or next off season for another player.

No playoffs gives our guys rest for the first time in years and let's Siakam and og develop their games even more.

Fvv/flynn
Gtj/cade/
Og/MLE/bembry

- If you s&t lowry for TPE, TPE counts towards cap, so you dont have cap room to sign a free agent.
- You dont get the full MLE (apx 9.5) when you are under the cap, you get room MLE which is apx ($4.5)
- Gasol signed a 2 year deal with lakers (and it is expected that he will retire at end of season)
- Collins already turned down $90/4 from Atlanta, where do we get cap room to offer him a max or near max offer sheet?
- plus our projected cap space is on the lower end of the projected jarret allen market.

You’re correct on most counts, but I don’t think TPE counts towards the cap. Never heard that before.

Also, good call on us not having enough space for Allen/Collins. We are likely more in the Andre Drummond category, who is projected to be one level cheaper than the other 2 younger centers.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,415

Post#1983 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:17 am

MessiahUjiri wrote:
douggood wrote:

Fvv/flynn
Gtj/cade/
Og/MLE/bembry

You’re correct on most counts, but I don’t think TPE counts towards the cap. Never heard that before.

Also, good call on us not having enough space for Allen/Collins. We are likely more in the Andre Drummond category, who is projected to be one level cheaper than the other 2 younger centers.

IIRC TPEs do count against your cap in the sense that you can't have it AND capspace at the same time. I believe you need to renounce your TPE if you want the capspace.

Maybe those who know better than me can chime in.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,204

Post#1984 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:24 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:
douggood wrote:- If you s&t lowry for TPE, TPE counts towards cap, so you dont have cap room to sign a free agent.

IIRC TPEs do count against your cap in the sense that you can't have it AND capspace at the same time. I believe you need to renounce your TPE if you want the capspace.

Maybe those who know better than me can chime in.

you're correct. TPE count against the cap but not against the lux tax. Its best to have TPE when you're over the cap as it allows for contracts to be absorbed into it from other teams. Also lasts for one year before it expires.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,591

Post#1985 » by Son Goku 25 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:34 am

Fvv/flynn
Gtj/cade/
Og/MLE/bembry

I like your thinking even if the TPE transaction may not work
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,878

Post#1986 » by agkagk » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:44 am

douggood wrote:

Fvv/flynn
Gtj/cade/
Og/MLE/bembry

Am I the only one who thinks the cap rules are unnecessarily complicated.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,683

Post#1987 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:52 pm

I hear Birch may try to sign with you guys, since he's from Toronto.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Post#1988 » by douggood » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:21 pm

agkagk wrote:
douggood wrote:

Fvv/flynn
Gtj/cade/
Og/MLE/bembry

Am I the only one who thinks the cap rules are unnecessarily complicated.

its a necessary evil of the soft cap. otherwise, there are so many ways you could exploit the soft cap.
hard cap(nhl), no cap (mlb) you dont have these rules. (nfl i dont understand)
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#1989 » by fbalmeida » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:35 pm

basketballRob wrote:I hear Birch may try to sign with you guys, since he's from Toronto.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Looking at his numbers he would appear to be a galactic improvement (defense, boards, finishing) over Baynes.

What's he like?
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021

Return to Toronto Raptors