Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#1 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:11 am

I know Blake and Harden were better players during their tenure with CP3 but is this the most complete roster and deepest team he's ever had?

I don't recall New Orleans having the firepower or depth he does now.

Clippers were always lacking at SG and SF IMO.

Rockets had the star power but I don't recall them having this type of depth.

Thunder were too young.
Seattlesun
Head Coach
And1: 359

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#2 » by Seattlesun » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:14 am

CP3 wanted to play in Phoenix. He made the correct choice.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#3 » by eminence » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:18 am

'18 Rockets were honestly pretty solidly deep - Harden obviously, but also Tucker, Ariza, Gordon, Capela, LMAM. Anderson had his moments. Probably not quite as deep as these Suns, but overall I'd say better with Harden.
I bought a boat.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#4 » by Crives » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:20 am

I think 17-18 rockets had more overall talent... but with the way phx shares the ball I think you could make an argument that this suns roster is a much better fit with CP3 compared to 17-18 rockets.. hence more “utilized” talent
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 3,949

Post#5 » by dygaction » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:21 am

SunsLyf3 wrote:I know Blake and Harden were better players during their tenure with CP3 but is this the most complete roster and deepest team he's ever had?

Thunder were too young.

Clippers and Rockets were actually considered as contenders, but I don't think many people take current Suns as real contenders. Maybe they can surprise people coming playoff time.
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,428

Post#6 » by Lost92Bricks » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:21 am

This team is easily better than any of the Clippers teams.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#7 » by DirtyDez » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:25 am

Lost92Bricks wrote:This team is easily better than any of the Clippers teams.

The 13-14’ Clippers were 2nd in Net and SRS despite Paul missing games. They lost to the KD-Russ Thunder.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,864

Post#8 » by grumpysaddle » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:27 am

dygaction wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:I know Blake and Harden were better players during their tenure with CP3 but is this the most complete roster and deepest team he's ever had?

Thunder were too young.

Clippers and Rockets were actually considered as contenders, but I don't think many people take current Suns as real contenders. Maybe they can surprise people coming playoff time.

They've been the second best team in the league for weeks now and just beat the 1st place team. Suns have only gotten better as the season progresses. They were 8-8 at one point. They're 28-6 since then. They're contenders.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#9 » by dygaction » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:33 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
dygaction wrote:

Thunder were too young.

They've been the second best team in the league for weeks now and just beat the 1st place team. Suns have only gotten better as the season progresses. They were 8-8 at one point. They're 28-6 since then. They're contenders.

They could be but I don't think any team is afraid of meeting them the first round. I for one would not bet them to make the WCF.
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#10 » by grumpysaddle » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:36 am

dygaction wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
dygaction wrote:

They could be but I don't think any team is afraid of meeting them the first round.

I think most teams wouldn't want to meet them in the first round. This isn't the Suns of 2 seasons ago.

vs. Teams Over .500 19 6 76.0
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,076

Post#11 » by art_tatum » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:36 am

No,
Rockets for sure- took the warriors to 7 games tho it wasn't the 2017 warriors.
clippers had Griffin and DJ they were lob city
Cp3 as had his fair share of Playoff chokes.
Let's not say he's only succeeding now bc he finally has a good team.
However, it's obvious he is extremely impactful to any team he is on. An all time pg even with the flops.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#12 » by Metallikid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:37 am

Rockets by a mile. Harden is worth Booker and Ayton.
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#13 » by Metallikid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:38 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
dygaction wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:They've been the second best team in the league for weeks now and just beat the 1st place team. Suns have only gotten better as the season progresses. They were 8-8 at one point. They're 28-6 since then. They're contenders.

They could be but I don't think any team is afraid of meeting them the first round.

I think most teams wouldn't want to meet them in the first round. This isn't the Suns of 2 seasons ago.

Doesn't mean a single thing for players like Booker and Ayton who have never played a playoff game let alone a Game 7 of the second round or a conference finals game.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:41 am

dygaction wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
dygaction wrote:

They could be but I don't think any team is afraid of meeting them the first round. I for one would not bet them to make the WCF.

And that's fine for you to think that but numbers speak for themselves. Any real coach would hate to first a team thats top 5 on both defense and offense in the playoffs but sure the Suns are who everyone wants .
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#15 » by grumpysaddle » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:42 am

Metallikid wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
dygaction wrote:

Doesn't mean a single thing for players like Booker and Ayton who have never played a playoff game let alone a Game 7 of the second round or a conference finals game.

That's why Chris Paul, Jae Crowder, etc. were brought in. Game tonight had all the feel of a playoff game, and Suns fought through some poor stretches against the best team in the league that obviously wanted to win the game and came out on top.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:43 am

Metallikid wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
dygaction wrote:

It does for players like Craig, Saric, Crowder and CP3 who are key rotation players(cp3 a star) and have experienced lengthy runs before.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#17 » by dygaction » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:45 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
dygaction wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:They've been the second best team in the league for weeks now and just beat the 1st place team. Suns have only gotten better as the season progresses. They were 8-8 at one point. They're 28-6 since then. They're contenders.

Trust me, when you can choose among healthy Lakers, Nuggets, Jazz, Clippers, and Suns, the choice is simple. A 6'0, 35 yr old, injury prone CP3 is the only player on the team with mention-worthy playoff experience.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,210

Post#18 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:47 am

Thunder were too young.

You could argue when paul was on the floor the 2018 rockets are a top 25 team in the history of the nba...
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,210

Post#19 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:48 am

Crives wrote:I think 17-18 rockets had more overall talent... but with the way phx shares the ball I think you could make an argument that this suns roster is a much better fit with CP3 compared to 17-18 rockets.. hence more “utilized” talent

Paul was 4th in RPM that year...how can you utilize a guy's "talent" better than to have him 4th in on court impact?
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#20 » by Metallikid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:49 am

SunsLyf3 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:I think most teams wouldn't want to meet them in the first round. This isn't the Suns of 2 seasons ago.

It does for players like Craig, Saric, Crowder and CP3 who are key rotation players(cp3 a star) and have experienced lengthy runs before.

Yes, it does, but when two of your best three have not been seasoned at all yet, you have no chance of winning the title. And I mean none. I don't even think they have a 10% chance to make the WCF. I would put more trust in the Blazers.

Return to The General Board