Luka = Mbappe, Zion = Haaland

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

pesfan321
Sophomore
And1: 100

Re: Luka = Mbappe, Zion = Haaland 

Post#41 » by pesfan321 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:34 am

clyde21 wrote:
pesfan321 wrote:
msmoore66 wrote:
This. I like the Zion = Haaland comp, but not sure about Luka = Mbappe. Struggling to think of a good comp though right now, probably some AM/CM technical master.

Kevin De Bruyne.

that's perfect actually for Luka

Right? How did nobody mention him?
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#42 » by Metallikid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:22 am

Galloisdaman wrote:
Metallikid wrote:Zion is not that good. He can put up stats and the refs will give him free throws, but I don't think he's going to be a winning player.

He is already pretty dominant offensively. Its a team game. If he is on a better team he will be a winning player. He hasn't even played 70 games yet and look at what he is doing.

That's not true at all. There are winning player and there are losing players. Both types of players can play on good and bad teams. I think Zion is a stat padder who can't be counted on to stay on the floor down the stretch because he's not good enough defensively and he's not a good enough shooter. I see him always being a one/two dimensional scorer, like DeMar.
The Mailman
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#43 » by The Mailman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:19 am

clyde21 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
aguiar95 wrote:
2-time MVP, won everything he played and had a lot of skills that made you go WOW.

Yeah, I was just joking. Luka can be flashy, but he is not Ronaldinho. If Jason white Chocolate Williams was best basketball player in the world, thats who basketball Ronaldinho would be.

Ronaldinho = Kyrie
I had to read the whole thread to see whether there is a post of Ronaldinho = Kyrie.

Though one might argue that Ronaldinho has no match.

Sent from my TECNO KA7 using Tapatalk
The Mailman
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#44 » by The Mailman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:22 am

UcanUwill wrote:
aguiar95 wrote:
2-time MVP, won everything he played and had a lot of skills that made you go WOW.

Yeah, I was just joking. Luka can be flashy, but he is not Ronaldinho. If Jason white Chocolate Williams was best basketball player in the world, thats who basketball Ronaldinho would be.
Yeah, Jason would be a bit close match to Dinho.

Lamelo might be the one if he keeps it up at the pace he is going at.

Sent from my TECNO KA7 using Tapatalk
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#45 » by MelosSoreWrist » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:34 am

Metallikid wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
Metallikid wrote:Zion is not that good. He can put up stats and the refs will give him free throws, but I don't think he's going to be a winning player.

He is already pretty dominant offensively. Its a team game. If he is on a better team he will be a winning player. He hasn't even played 70 games yet and look at what he is doing.

That's not true at all. There are winning player and there are losing players. Both types of players can play on good and bad teams. I think Zion is a stat padder who can't be counted on to stay on the floor down the stretch because he's not good enough defensively and he's not a good enough shooter. I see him always being a one/two dimensional scorer, like DeMar.

so, Zion = Salah
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 830

Post#46 » by juanc » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:44 am

Oh I've got a great one!

Boban = Peter Crouch :D
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#47 » by Metallikid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:04 am

MelosSoreWrist wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:He is already pretty dominant offensively. Its a team game. If he is on a better team he will be a winning player. He hasn't even played 70 games yet and look at what he is doing.

so, Zion = Salah

I know a lot of soccer players' names, but I've only ever seen highlights of Messi and I don't watch soccer really. (except when TFC won)
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#48 » by BoatsNZones » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:50 am

pesfan321 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
pesfan321 wrote:Kevin De Bruyne.

Was my immediate thought for Luka too.

Mbappe might be young MJ. At 22 he's breaking records and already arguably the most entertaining and dangerous player in the world, and has the athleticism advantage over every opponent.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#49 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:18 pm

Metallikid wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

I do not see any reason to believe that Zion on a good team would make that team lose all by himself. Zion can improve his conditioning and defense. On offense he is already an incredibly effective player at 20 years old. Patrick Ewing played 4 years of college. He was a defensive monster in college. It still took him some time to become a great defender in the pros. You say Zion is not a good enough shooter? While he can continue to improve his shooting he already is around 38% from 3 and 71% from the line. He also shoots an insane 63% from 2. If a player shoots 62% FG overall and 70%-75% from FT he is going to be very effective offensively.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,222

Post#50 » by UcanUwill » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:21 pm

pesfan321 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
pesfan321 wrote:Kevin De Bruyne.

De Bruyne was my first thought, but I guess the point is to find young guy who suppose to be future face of the sport, and Kevin De Bruyne is almost 30, but yeah as pure gamestyle comparison goes, its as close as it gets.
pesfan321
Sophomore

Post#51 » by pesfan321 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:42 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
pesfan321 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

De Bruyne was my first thought, but I guess the point is to find young guy who suppose to be future face of the sport, and Kevin De Bruyne is almost 30, but yeah as pure gamestyle comparison goes, its as close as it gets.

But Luka is an anomaly! Young basketball players generally aren't MVP candidates by their 2nd or 3rd season.
pesfan321
Sophomore

Post#52 » by pesfan321 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:46 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
pesfan321 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Martin Odegaard has resurrected his career. I don't know if he's that good, though. That's why I said De Bruyne.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,843

Post#53 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:19 pm

KDB is old, and was never a young sensation like Luka. KDB actually was a disappointment until he found the right place to develop.
pesfan321
Sophomore

Post#54 » by pesfan321 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:13 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:KDB is old, and was never a young sensation like Luka. KDB actually was a disappointment until he found the right place to develop.

But Luka is an anomaly! Young basketball players generally aren't MVP candidates by their 2nd or 3rd season.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,843

Post#55 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:43 pm

pesfan321 wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:KDB is old, and was never a young sensation like Luka. KDB actually was a disappointment until he found the right place to develop.

and that's why Mbappe is a better comp. He is also an anomaly.
notericjr
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#56 » by notericjr » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:07 pm

Luka's comparison with Mbappe is very apt. Not stylistically but in terms of how young they are and how quickly they became world class players in their sports.

I like Haaland but i don't consider him in the same tier as Mbappe just yet, so maybe the Zion comp is good, cause i feel the same way about him too.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#57 » by skones » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:35 pm

clyde21 wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Comps

Luka = Zidane

Zion = Haaland one makes sense

Mbappe is ridiculously accomplished and ridiculously fast for his age (probably the best right now in worldwide sports lol).

Zion/Haaland doesn't make a lot of sense

Zion needs to be compared to an absolute freak athlete that was young, Ronaldo again when he was younger probably coming on, or peak Gareth Bale, maybe Brazilian Ronaldo actually

Haaland is a freak. Guy is an absolutely physical dominant striker at 6'4 who outmuscles and outruns everyone and finishes. That to me sounds much like Zion. The Cristiano Ronaldo suggestion is puzzling.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#58 » by DCasey91 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:42 pm

skones wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Comps

Luka = Zidane

Zion = Haaland one makes sense

Mbappe is ridiculously accomplished and ridiculously fast for his age (probably the best right now in worldwide sports lol).

Zion/Haaland doesn't make a lot of sense

Zion needs to be compared to an absolute freak athlete that was young, Ronaldo again when he was younger probably coming on, or peak Gareth Bale, maybe Brazilian Ronaldo actually

Haaland is a freak. Guy is an absolutely physical dominant striker at 6'4 who outmuscles and outruns everyone. The Cristiano Ronaldo suggestion is puzzling. Haaland is the most physically dominant player on your list save for the OG Ronaldo.

Yeah whenever I watch him I’m like jeez he’s a man child highly skilled but his psychical advantage is big time.

Zion though maybe the freakiest athlete (not the best) in the world. Can’t find anyone at 280ish that plays like a bear with the fluidity of a ice skater when he goes aerial and has pogo sticks for legs lol.
So essentially there’s still a big gap psychically even between Haaland and Zion. Zion is a generational type athlete.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#59 » by Buzzard » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:51 pm

clyde21 wrote:people who don't know who Mbappe and Haaland are need to expand their horizons outside murca

I keep up with both college and pro footbal and basketball. Pro baseball and golf a little. My doctor would totally disagree with you that I need to sit on my butt anymore than I already do watching the television :lol:

I take they are two very good soccer players and just agree :D
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#60 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:54 pm

Buzzard wrote:
clyde21 wrote:people who don't know who Mbappe and Haaland are need to expand their horizons outside murca

I keep up with both college and pro footbal and basketball. Pro baseball and golf a little. My doctor would totally disagree with you that I need to sit on my butt anymore than I already do watching the television :lol:

scrap the baseball and plug in soccer instead

Return to The General Board