Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,131

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#41 » by spanishninja » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:36 am

Those Clipper teams didnt play enough defense. These Suns are serious about defense.
DirtyDez wrote:
Lost92Bricks wrote:This team is easily better than any of the Clippers teams.

The 13-14’ Clippers were 2nd in Net and SRS despite Paul missing games. They lost to the KD-Russ Thunder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,131

Post#42 » by spanishninja » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:38 am

Uh, my guy, Crowder was in the FINALS last year and even Torrey Craig was in the WCF against the Lakers.
dygaction wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
dygaction wrote:
They could be but I don't think any team is afraid of meeting them the first round.

I think most teams wouldn't want to meet them in the first round. This isn't the Suns of 2 seasons ago.

vs. Teams Over .500 19 6 76.0

Trust me, when you can choose among healthy Lakers, Nuggets, Jazz, Clippers, and Suns, the choice is simple. A 6'0, 35 yr old, injury prone CP3 is the only player on the team with mention-worthy playoff experience.

Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#43 » by Dupp » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:38 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Dupp wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Being deeper than 8-9 is worthless in the playoffs.

Not necessary. But being deeper also doesn’t mean better. It just depends. Teams like 11 Dallas, 14 spurs went pretty deep into their rotation. Maybe 16 warriors too? Sure there’s heaps.

Generally 8-9 is normal but if you have the talent I don’t think it’s worthless.

Warriors went 8 deep in 2016 with in guys missing games a few guys like Clark, Ezeili and Speights got some time on the court. I'm not really sure that was all that needed though.

14 spurs went 9 unless you count the random minutes bonner got.

11 mavs went 9 deep and really that was it. Not really anyone else to consider.

But yeah, you're not wrong that it's nice to have more depth but in terms of actual impact, it's really not needed without injuries or if you had some realize nicely specialized players (what we used to call role players).

I’m almost certain mavs went 10 or 11 deep. Meaning all those guys made an impact in one playoff series. Obviously the finals the rotation tightened.

Guess I was wrong about the other too. They were more guesses though.

It just doesn’t happen much because it’s hard to have that many contributors on a good team salary wise and having ok players being ok with not getting a huge role.
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,329

Post#44 » by Mrakar » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:50 am

That 2018 Rockets team should have championship so you have to go with them if you count overall talent.
This Suns team is deep but they lack playoff expirience and that will show in playoffs, wait for it.
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#45 » by Mister Ze » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:04 am

Let's see how good Booker and Ayton perform in the playoffs. I think they could get to the semis at least.

The Suns will likely play the Lakers/Clippers in the 2nd round the way the standings look, if they get past them then the argument is certainly there.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#46 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:11 am

spanishninja wrote:Uh, my guy, Crowder was in the FINALS last year and even Torrey Craig was in the WCF against the Lakers.
dygaction wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:I think most teams wouldn't want to meet them in the first round. This isn't the Suns of 2 seasons ago.

Trust me, when you can choose among healthy Lakers, Nuggets, Jazz, Clippers, and Suns, the choice is simple. A 6'0, 35 yr old, injury prone CP3 is the only player on the team with mention-worthy playoff experience.

Saric had a nice 10 game run in the post season with the 6ers before being shipped to Minny. Was averagin 32 mpg, 17 ppg, 7 rpg, 3apg and 38% from 3.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#47 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:13 am

Metallikid wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Doesn't mean a single thing for players like Booker and Ayton who have never played a playoff game let alone a Game 7 of the second round or a conference finals game.

It does for players like Craig, Saric, Crowder and CP3 who are key rotation players(cp3 a star) and have experienced lengthy runs before.

Yes, it does, but when two of your best three have not been seasoned at all yet, you have no chance of winning the title. And I mean none. I don't even think they have a 10% chance to make the WCF. I would put more trust in the Blazers.

Yeah and Chris Paul is old and the best the Suns will do is a play in game. Heard it before.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,149

Post#48 » by dygaction » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:26 am

spanishninja wrote:Uh, my guy, Crowder was in the FINALS last year and even Torrey Craig was in the WCF against the Lakers.
dygaction wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:I think most teams wouldn't want to meet them in the first round. This isn't the Suns of 2 seasons ago.

Good catch Crowder. If Torrey Craig is the third person to mention, it is not a good sign :D ...
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,438

Post#49 » by Lost92Bricks » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:30 am

DirtyDez wrote:The 13-14’ Clippers were 2nd in Net and SRS despite Paul missing games. They lost to the KD-Russ Thunder.

Clippers had no volume scorer, no defenders, below average bench.
benson13
Rookie
And1: 979

Post#50 » by benson13 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:30 am

Best supporting cast for CP3? Maybe. If you discount 2018 when he was part of a supporting cast.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,299

Post#51 » by Dr Aki » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:32 am

No, and I doubt they get as far as 2018 Houston
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,455

Post#52 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:52 am

Dupp wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Dupp wrote:

Not necessary. But being deeper also doesn’t mean better. It just depends. Teams like 11 Dallas, 14 spurs went pretty deep into their rotation. Maybe 16 warriors too? Sure there’s heaps.

Generally 8-9 is normal but if you have the talent I don’t think it’s worthless.

Warriors went 8 deep in 2016 with in guys missing games a few guys like Clark, Ezeili and Speights got some time on the court. I'm not really sure that was all that needed though.

But yeah, you're not wrong that it's nice to have more depth but in terms of actual impact, it's really not needed without injuries or if you had some realize nicely specialized players (what we used to call role players).

I’m almost certain mavs went 10 or 11 deep. Meaning all those guys made an impact in one playoff series. Obviously the finals the rotation tightened.

It just doesn’t happen much because it’s hard to have that many contributors on a good team salary wise and having ok players being ok with not getting a huge role.

Mavs played 12 guys in the playoffs that year period.

Hayword played 18 of 21 games and 15.3 minutes, so we could count him as the 9th man.

Ian Mahinmi - 6 games 5.5 minutes per game

Brian Cardinal - 9 games 6.1 per game

Corey Brewer - 6 games 3.8 per game

Those are your other 3 guys who played at all. 10 deep? What? I guess brewer had one good game and it was in a tough series vs the lakers? But that's kinda stretching it isn't it?
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,856

Post#53 » by Dutchball97 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:56 am

I don't think Booker and Ayton are as good as advertised.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#54 » by Metallikid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:57 am

SunsLyf3 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:It does for players like Craig, Saric, Crowder and CP3 who are key rotation players(cp3 a star) and have experienced lengthy runs before.

Yes, it does, but when two of your best three have not been seasoned at all yet, you have no chance of winning the title. And I mean none. I don't even think they have a 10% chance to make the WCF. I would put more trust in the Blazers.

Yeah and Chris Paul is old and the best the Suns will do is a play in game. Heard it before.

I didn't say that. They could make the second round. They could make it a series. But they're not winning the title.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,455

Post#55 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:57 am

SunsLyf3 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:It does for players like Craig, Saric, Crowder and CP3 who are key rotation players(cp3 a star) and have experienced lengthy runs before.

There are as many of us rooting for Chris Paul to succeed as there are those that for some reason dislike him. I think you're getting defensive for no reason. This team doesn't on paper look like the right kind of team to do well in the playoffs. We'll get to see the actual results soon enough.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#56 » by Dupp » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:02 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Dupp wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Mavs played 12 guys in the playoffs that year period.

Hayword played 18 of 21 games and 15.3 minutes, so we could count him as the 9th man.

Ian Mahinmi - 6 games 5.5 minutes per game

Brian Cardinal - 9 games 6.1 per game

Corey Brewer - 6 games 3.8 per game

Those are your other 3 guys who played at all. 10 deep? What? I guess brewer had one good game and it was in a tough series vs the lakers? But that's kinda stretching it isn't it?

Hayword definitely was a very valuable backup.

Th other guy i was thinking of was Cardinal i think. Thought he had a good series but maybe it was just a good game or two that stuck in my mind. Ah well.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#57 » by DCasey91 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:10 am

Rockets had a huge top end (Harden)

But for me the Suns are arguably the most balanced team in the NBA all are above average to elite in their starting positions. Good depth too

It’s a very well constructed team (how did the Suns manage that? they were the laughing stock of the NBA like two seasons ago lol). Sports goes quick.

Surely the Wolves can use this blueprint to some sort of success.

The West is stacked to the hills, whoever gets out I’m rating their playoff run very very highly.
I mean if Doncic overperforms here it’s super duper impressive imo.

Jazz
Suns
Clippers
Nuggets
Blazers
Lakers
Trail Blazers
Mavs

All healthy (Nurk, Cj, Ad, LBJ, Zingis doesn’t breakdown again all back) that top 7 there’s no freebies there at all. Playoffs are going to be wild
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#58 » by lars_rosenberg » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:55 am

I would say it's the second best after the first Rockets year. This Phoenix team is very deep, but overall talent was better with Harden and Capela. Also CP was younger.
Phoenix is a really impressive team this season, but I doubt they'll make it to the finals: it would be the first playoff run for basically everybody in the team except for CP3 and inexperience will bite them when they face seasoned teams like the Lakers, the Nuggets or even Utah.
jsierra1985
Senior
And1: 963

Post#59 » by jsierra1985 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:20 am

Optms wrote:
Lost92Bricks wrote:This team is easily better than any of the Clippers teams.

Those Cippers team were second round fodder. This Suns team looks like first round fodder. If there was an overachieving award, they'd get it handedly.

These are my favorite comments.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,072

Post#60 » by og15 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:08 pm

17-18 Rockets would be the contender here, but compared to New Orleans and LAC, easily and not even close.

Clippers always had holes on the wing and quality bench players. The Hornets were not deep at all, their best season, Janero Pargo was their 6th man.

If he was like 28-30 right now, it would be more interesting, but as well as he's playing, he still doesn't have the same level as even just three years ago.

Return to The General Board