Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

NADALalot
Senior
And1: 352

Re: Is this CP3's best supporting cast of his career? 

Post#61 » by NADALalot » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:11 pm

SunsLyf3 wrote:I know Blake and Harden were better players during their tenure with CP3 but is this the most complete roster and deepest team he's ever had?

I don't recall New Orleans having the firepower or depth he does now.

Clippers were always lacking at SG and SF IMO.

Rockets had the star power but I don't recall them having this type of depth.

Thunder were too young.

Its hard to tell, because he makes everyone better.
If you replace Westbrook with Paul, Washington would be Top 4 in the East.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,072

Post#62 » by og15 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:18 pm

Lost92Bricks wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:The 13-14’ Clippers were 2nd in Net and SRS despite Paul missing games. They lost to the KD-Russ Thunder.

Clippers had no volume scorer, no defenders, below average bench.

13-14 was a decent year, still primarily top heavy, the problem was that if you look at the wings and bigs off the bench, you don't really find anyone of significance. If you look at all their rotation guards and wings, you start wondering where the defenders are.

This was fairly consistent problem for the Clippers. Nice starting 5, but lacking length, defense and quality depth. When the team was fairly deep (12-13), the top supporting guys were not as good yet (and no Redick yet), and Billups and Butler got injured, Odom was out of it by the time the playoffs rolled around, etc.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,249

Post#63 » by pr0wler » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:25 pm

Crives wrote:
BenoUdrihFTL wrote:
Crives wrote:I think 17-18 rockets had more overall talent... but with the way phx shares the ball I think you could make an argument that this suns roster is a much better fit with CP3 compared to 17-18 rockets.. hence more “utilized” talent

Not seeing the argument. The '18 Rockets took the KD Warriors to the very brink and just might've prevailed had CP3 not gotten injured. That right there is historic-tier and a team that's levels above these current Suns

I said I would consider 17-18 Rockets to have more overall talent... I just think there could be an argument made that when CP3 has the ball in his hands this suns team utilizes his talents better.

-Harden is the superior talent, but I think Booker is a better off ball talent alongside CP3.
-I would take Ayton over Capela.
-Bridges/Crowder vs Arina/Tucker feels pretty close to me.
-I think I would give Phx bench the slight edge

I don't necessarily disagree with this post, but I'm not sure what the overall objective is, other than just a fun talking point I guess. The Suns utilize his talent better, because the Rockets didn't use CP3 as the main shot creator. They had one of the greatest offensive players in history to run the offense. I suppose CP3 and Booker is a "better fit", but Harden and 33 year old CP3 was a superior overall combo.

So sure, maybe the Suns are getting more bang for their buck for Paul, but a CP3 run offense isn't going to be as efficient as one led by Harden.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,131

Post#64 » by spanishninja » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:41 pm

dygaction wrote:
spanishninja wrote:Uh, my guy, Crowder was in the FINALS last year and even Torrey Craig was in the WCF against the Lakers.
dygaction wrote:
Trust me, when you can choose among healthy Lakers, Nuggets, Jazz, Clippers, and Suns, the choice is simple. A 6'0, 35 yr old, injury prone CP3 is the only player on the team with mention-worthy playoff experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

Good catch Crowder. If Torrey Craig is the third person to mention, it is not a good sign :D ...

even so, we already saw last season that a veteran leader and a young team can go far in the playoffs, and I would say that Jimmy Butler's resume isn't exactly any better than CP3's in that regard. If Tyler Herro and Duncan Robinson can go off the way they did what makes you think the young players on the Suns cannot?
spanishninja
General Manager

Post#65 » by spanishninja » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:45 pm

og15 wrote:
Lost92Bricks wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:The 13-14’ Clippers were 2nd in Net and SRS despite Paul missing games. They lost to the KD-Russ Thunder.

Clippers had no volume scorer, no defenders, below average bench.

13-14 was a decent year, still primarily top heavy, the problem was that if you look at the wings and bigs off the bench, you don't really find anyone of significance. If you look at all their rotation guards and wings, you start wondering where the defenders are.

This was fairly consistent problem for the Clippers. Nice starting 5, but lacking length, defense and quality depth. When the team was fairly deep (12-13), the top supporting guys were not as good yet (and no Redick yet), and Billups and Butler got injured, Odom was out of it by the time the playoffs rolled around, etc.

The Lob City Clippers always reminded me a lot of the SSOL Suns, skewed more towards inside scoring than 3s. It didn't work out so well for us either in the playoffs. This is why I think this Suns team has potential, because they have all three of the things you listed.
spanishninja
General Manager

Post#66 » by spanishninja » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:48 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:I would say it's the second best after the first Rockets year. This Phoenix team is very deep, but overall talent was better with Harden and Capela. Also CP was younger.
Phoenix is a really impressive team this season, but I doubt they'll make it to the finals: it would be the first playoff run for basically everybody in the team except for CP3 and inexperience will bite them when they face seasoned teams like the Lakers, the Nuggets or even Utah.

Crowder has been to the finals and has plenty of other playoff experience. And did we already forget how Jimmy Butler basically dragged the Heat to the Finals with a less talented team, beating Milwaukee in the process? Not saying it will be easy but youth shouldnt' be the only reason to count the Suns out.
spanishninja
General Manager

Post#67 » by spanishninja » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:50 pm

Mister Ze wrote:Let's see how good Booker and Ayton perform in the playoffs. I think they could get to the semis at least.

The Suns will likely play the Lakers/Clippers in the 2nd round the way the standings look, if they get past them then the argument is certainly there.

How they do in the first round will tell a lot about how they fare in the later rounds, if they get there.
pj0tr
Rookie
And1: 1,312

Post#68 » by pj0tr » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:07 pm

pr0wler wrote:
Crives wrote:
BenoUdrihFTL wrote:So sure, maybe the Suns are getting more bang for their buck for Paul, but a CP3 run offense isn't going to be as efficient as one led by Harden.

What does this have to do with the potential success/failure for Phoenix in the postseason this year?

Did Harden's Rockets being "more efficient" get them a title?
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#69 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:14 pm

Lets see here
Harden>booker
Capela>Ayton
Eric Gordon before he got hurt > crowder
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#70 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:17 pm

The suns won a nail biter last night with Mitchell going off for 40+ see how that confidence helps them in the future
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#71 » by TouchPassDario » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:25 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:Lets see here
Harden>booker
Capela>Ayton

Ayton >>>>>>>>>> (arrows) Capela

Mikal/Cam >>>>> PJ/Ariza

Fixed
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#72 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:09 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Yes, it does, but when two of your best three have not been seasoned at all yet, you have no chance of winning the title. And I mean none. I don't even think they have a 10% chance to make the WCF. I would put more trust in the Blazers.

Yeah and Chris Paul is old and the best the Suns will do is a play in game. Heard it before.

There are as many of us rooting for Chris Paul to succeed as there are those that for some reason dislike him. I think you're getting defensive for no reason. This team doesn't on paper look like the right kind of team to do well in the playoffs. We'll get to see the actual results soon enough.

Not at all. I asked about the teams success and if this is the most complete team CP3 has played in/best supporting cast. People are trying to predict series outcomes lol. Playoffs is a whole different game.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man

Post#73 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:13 pm

dygaction wrote:
spanishninja wrote:Uh, my guy, Crowder was in the FINALS last year and even Torrey Craig was in the WCF against the Lakers.
dygaction wrote:
Trust me, when you can choose among healthy Lakers, Nuggets, Jazz, Clippers, and Suns, the choice is simple. A 6'0, 35 yr old, injury prone CP3 is the only player on the team with mention-worthy playoff experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

Good catch Crowder. If Torrey Craig is the third person to mention, it is not a good sign :D ...

Dario Saric as well. 6th man and key rotation player for the Suns.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,850

Post#74 » by Woodsanity » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:15 pm

Whats shocking is that CP3 only missed one game this season. When did he go from injury prone to suddenly an iron man when he is 35 at that....?

Can't be just changing to a vegan diet right? :o

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,455

Post#75 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:21 pm

SunsLyf3 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:
Yeah and Chris Paul is old and the best the Suns will do is a play in game. Heard it before.

There are as many of us rooting for Chris Paul to succeed as there are those that for some reason dislike him. I think you're getting defensive for no reason. This team doesn't on paper look like the right kind of team to do well in the playoffs. We'll get to see the actual results soon enough.

Not at all. I asked about the teams success and if this is the most complete team CP3 has played in/best supporting cast. People are trying to predict series outcomes lol. Playoffs is a whole different game.

At the end of the day Paul was on a top 25 team EVER when he was playing. This suns team isn't that. Completes a cute word and all but on one team he had James Harden and here he doesn't. In no world is the team around him better than that rocket's team with Harden.
insomniac00
Junior
And1: 294

Post#76 » by insomniac00 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:28 pm

The fact is that the West is stacked and there are very few outcomes that would be truly surprising.

IF the Suns lose in round 1 or 2, it wont be because they're pretenders. It'll be because they played elite teams.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,072

Post#77 » by og15 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:29 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:Lets see here
Harden>booker
Capela>Ayton

This would make sense if a team or their rotation was all about 4 players. To compare the strength of a supporting cast, you have to be comparing the top 8. No team plays their starters 48 mpg in the post-season, so whether people like it or want to admit it or not, your first 2-3 players off the bench are a significant factor in how you end up doing, unless you just have a totally dominant starting lineup.

Rockets were a better team, but not because of what you listed here. Harden is the best player of all players on both teams first of all. Next, they had Capela, Ariza, Gordon, Tucker, and before he got injured and was unable to contribute, Mbah A Moute. A great combination of spot up shooting, length and switchability on defense with strong guards who won't get abused in the post.

Rockets team was easily his best supporting cast, they were #1 in offense and a top 5 defense. They could still have won it all if he didn't get injured, and in many recent years not playing against the GS jugernaut, that team would be a favorite against other previous champions even. None of this can be said about Phoenix, but if they make a run that changes our minds, then so be it.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#78 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:30 pm

Metallikid wrote:Rockets by a mile. Harden is worth Booker and Ayton.

Not to be too negative on the OP...

But man....this same Suns team has lost every year until last year when they made a really nice run .... and STILL didn't get past a first round.

Rockets were a annual playoff team every ear BEFORE CP joined them.

Sigh....no one seems to have perspective beyond the last 20 games :(
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#79 » by Zion Wembanyama » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:34 pm

Maybe not the best, but CP3+West+Chandler+Peja and co. was fun.
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man

Post#80 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:49 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

At the end of the day Paul was on a top 25 team EVER when he was playing. This suns team isn't that. Completes a cute word and all but on one team he had James Harden and here he doesn't. In no world is the team around him better than that rocket's team with Harden.

The talent? Sure. Harden is an all time great. If you can't understand the difference between building a team and just ranking player it is that clear.

Return to The General Board