Could Bogdan be a late bloomer?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Could Bogdan be a late bloomer who could one day average in the neighborhood of 18/5/5?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 51

Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Could Bogdan be a late bloomer? 

Post#1 » by Buzzard » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:07 pm

The Hawks signed Bogdan to a pretty large contract this off season. This was despite him being 28 years old and his best season numbers were only 15.1/3.4/3.4. After a very slow start and knee injury that cost him 25 games; things are starting to look pretty good now.

Over his last 9 games, he has scored 20 or more 6 times. His 5 game split for April is 21.8/5.0/4.8 and shooting splits of .547/.579/.833. I am kind of pumped about this and my head is racing with thoughts of a Middleton/Harris impact player at less than 2/3 the cost.

All thoughts are welcome. Including those who think he was overpriced or a good signing.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,605

Re: Could Bogdan be a late bloomer? 

Post#2 » by BK_2020 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:08 pm

Overpriced
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#3 » by Buzzard » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:17 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Overpriced

I had a similar worry too. But what he has started doing now that Nate has handed him a larger role is pretty impressive. Without him taking up the scoring slack for Hunter and recently Collins being out, the Hawks would be struggling to be a play in team.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#4 » by Spud2nique » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:43 pm

Yes I think he’s definitely a late bloomer but many Kings fans and others say he’s had this talent all along. I didn’t watch much of him when he was out west but I think after watching him play he’s well worth his contract. I actually think he’s super smart out in the court, possibly smarter than the guy we traded for to get Trae. Bogi is definitely a better shooter and equal to or better on court awareness for what will end up a third of the price of the Mavs cornerstone.
turnaroundJ
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,309

Post#5 » by turnaroundJ » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:44 pm

He would've looked great beside Jrue and Khris.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#6 » by FinnTheHuman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:49 pm

Dude, he's always been this good, he just deferred to your rookie-contract wings with over-inflated egos who are chasing big extensions. He was always supposed to get a higher usage rate at the expense of Trae, Hunter, and especially Reddish and Huerter.

He was 7th in shots taken per game at the start of the season before his injury because of your ball hoggers and chuckers. He probably woulda been 8th in shots taken if Gallo didn't get injured the way Pierce ran the team. It was the same crap all over again, like for the Kings with the young and dumb guys, but luckily, there was a coaching change and some injuries to help show what Bogdanovic can do with upped usage.

Hopefully Hunter and Reddish got the memo that they need to take the back seat when they come back, like Huerter did.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#7 » by Spud2nique » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:50 pm

turnaroundJ wrote:He would've looked great beside Jrue and Khris.

Agreed I’m now realizing why Giannis wanted him so badly. He would be nearly a perfect fit with Giannis, really he fits with many but since Giannis lacks a consistent perimeter game for a superstar, he would have fit like a glove with the Bucks. I’m grateful the Hawks were able to pry him away somehow.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,231

Post#8 » by UcanUwill » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:50 pm

He can, I dont think this makes him late bloomer, hes been good for a while, its just a graduate progression.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#9 » by Buzzard » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:51 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Yes I think he’s definitely a late bloomer but many Kings fans and others say he’s had this talent all along. I didn’t watch much of him when he was out west but I think after watching him play he’s well worth his contract. I actually think he’s super smart out in the court, possibly smarter than the guy we traded for to get Trae. Bogi is definitely a better shooter and equal to or better on court awareness for what will end up a third of the price of the Mavs cornerstone.

18/5/5 is my hope but there will be no complaints if its 17/5/4. Bogdan is really smart on the court and like you, I'd not watched many Kings games. Schlenk surprised me with both Bogdan and Gallinari. I thought he was very aggressive and rolling high roller dice.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Kabaum
Sophomore
And1: 196

Post#10 » by Kabaum » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:57 pm

Bogdan is great. I was really bummed when he left but he got paid and I'm happy for that. He's a glue guy and can make the clutch shot. Hawks fans are gonna love him!
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#11 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:01 pm

Hes had these stretches in Sacramento. I remember when Fox was out last year, he really stepped up and carried the team on his back. Unfortunately he never sustained that level even when it looked like he was about to truly breakout. Love the player, he's great but a bit streaky. He has the ability to carry a team or in a way sink a team. Hope he can keep this up, rooting big for the guy!

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#12 » by Buzzard » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:01 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:Dude, he's always been this good, he just deferred to your rookie-contract wings with over-inflated egos and hunger for big extensions. He was always supposed to get a higher usage rate at the expense of Trae, Hunter, and especially Reddish and Huerter.

He was 7th in shots taken per game at the start of the season before his injury because of your ball hoggers and chuckers. He probably woulda been 8th in shots taken if Gallo didn't get injured the way Pierce ran the team. It was the same crap all over again, like for the Kings with the young and dumb guys, but luckily, there was a coaching change and some injuries to help show what Bogdanovic can do with upped usage.

Hopefully Hunter and Reddish got the memo that they need to take the back seat when they come back, like Huerter did.

So you are saying the Hawks GM/President was smart to bet on him. Then came the coaching change and Bogdan's talent has started shining through. Just a FYI, Hunter is not selfish. He is 2nd on the team in minutes played per game but only 4th in shots per game.

The problem that you seem to miss is Bogdan cannot take shots if he is injured. He missed 25 games early in the season. This was a critical time when he should have been acclimating to his new team. Now he is and Nate seems to know exactly how to use him.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#13 » by shakes0 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:04 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:Dude, he's always been this good, he just deferred to your rookie-contract wings with over-inflated egos who are chasing big extensions. He was always supposed to get a higher usage rate at the expense of Trae, Hunter, and especially Reddish and Huerter.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hunter isn't taking the backseat to anyone let alone Bogi. He's very much a member of the big four on this team (Trae, Capela, Collins, Hunter). Love Bogi, hopefully he can continue to play well.

Reddish isn't even allowed in the vehicle so that part won't be a problem.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#14 » by Richard Miller » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:07 pm

Don't think late bloomer really applies to his case, he's more than proven internationally. It's just a question of staying healthy and getting used to his team and role.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#15 » by Buzzard » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:09 pm

shakes0 wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:Dude, he's always been this good, he just deferred to your rookie-contract wings with over-inflated egos who are chasing big extensions. He was always supposed to get a higher usage rate at the expense of Trae, Hunter, and especially Reddish and Huerter.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hunter isn't taking the backseat to anyone let alone Bogi. He's very much a member of the big four on this team (Trae, Capela, Collins, Hunter). Love Bogi, hopefully he can continue to play well.

I think its reasonable to add Bogdan in to this core now. It looks to me to be exactly what Schlenk had in mind when he gave him that fat contract.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#16 » by shakes0 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:10 pm

Buzzard wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

I thin its reasonable to add Bogdan in to this core now. It looks to me to be exactly what Schlenk had in mind when he gave him that fat contract.

naw, not yet. But if he continues to play like this then we'll revisit his application.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#17 » by Spud2nique » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:21 pm

shakes0 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

I thin its reasonable to add Bogdan in to this core now. It looks to me to be exactly what Schlenk had in mind when he gave him that fat contract.

naw, not yet. But if he continues to play like this then we'll revisit his application.

For me Hunter and Bogi should both be starters. Having said that, if you bring Bogi off the bench to lead the 2nd unit, you are going to have one of the better benches in the league no matter who you have playing with him. His intelligence makes up for others talent. I trust him a lot.
Goose egg
Junior
And1: 702

Post#18 » by Goose egg » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:26 pm

Straight bum I took him every time on draftkings to start the season before he got hurt and he single handed cost me the gpp cash line like at least 3 times never trusting him again
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#19 » by Buzzard » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:30 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:I thin its reasonable to add Bogdan in to this core now. It looks to me to be exactly what Schlenk had in mind when he gave him that fat contract.

For me Hunter and Bogi should both be starters. Having said that, if you bring Bogi off the bench to lead the 2nd unit, you are going to have one of the better benches in the league no matter who you have playing with him. His intelligence makes up for others talent. I trust him a lot.

I have been calling Huerter a minimum great 6th man for two seasons now. By signing Bogdan, I think Schlenk agrees with me :D Trae, Bogdan, Hunter, Collins, Capela is a killer starting five. Lou, Huerter, Snell, Gallinari makes for a solid 9 man rotation come playoff time.

The young bigs are big question marks for the Hawks. But come playoff time, 35 minutes a game is more the norm for the starters than not...

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#20 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:33 pm

Im very happy with his evolution on the Hawks. If he can secure the starting SG role and play at a hight level, it will be HUGE for the Hawks. Heurter and Reddich can play second team with L Will and Gallo

Return to The General Board