ImageImageImageImage

Magic to Waive C Khem Birch

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,769

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#41 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:21 pm

Cliff in absolute shambles.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#42 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:22 pm

:roll: :wink: Now we wait and see if MCW is waived as well.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#43 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:27 pm

yoyojw17 wrote::roll: :wink: Now we wait and see if MCW is waived as well.

Highly unlikely. I believe he's under contract next year && it's fully guaranteed. Ennis is the next one who should be waived. Porter JR might not play due to injury the rest of the way, so cutting him isn't a must.

MCW/Bacon should just be shut down imo. We need to get Cole/Hampton as many minutes as possible.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,070

Post#44 » by bigdogdylan5 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:28 pm

I don’t think with the flux at PG we can’t get rid of him I just hope the majority of minutes is Anthony.
I really want to see a lineup of
Anthony Hampton Harris Okeke Carter or Bamba
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#45 » by zaymon » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:28 pm

OrlandO wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:If Bacon and Ennis aren't returning next season they need to go, too.

I think once Harris is healthy enough to play, we may see Bacon get the same waive treatment.

If it doesn't happen by tomorrow it's probably not happening. Players have to be waived by April 9 to be playoff eligible on their new teams. That's why Birch was waived today. Not that a playoff team would want bacon, but the magic would probably still do it that way if they wanted to get rid of him. Ennis is having a good year... he's probably earned a contract elsewhere, so magic should let him go now.

I would like to resign Ennis. He is valueable archetype and he has good chemistry with Anthony. We will need some veterans to hold Cole accountable his shot selection is wild. Having Hampton there is a case to have Ennis over Ross.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#46 » by fendilim » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:28 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:

Highly unlikely. I believe he's under contract next year && it's fully guaranteed. Ennis is the next one who should be waived. Porter JR might not play due to injury the rest of the way, so cutting him isn't a must.

MCW/Bacon should just be shut down imo. We need to get Cole/Hampton as many minutes as possible.

Would rather have ennis play that otto. Otto wont help us tank.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#47 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:34 pm

fendilim wrote:Would rather have ennis play that otto. Otto wont help us tank.

Ennis has been pretty clearly better than Porter Jr. this year for what that's worth.

But it really doesn't matter because the losses are going to pile up if Clifford plays Anthony and Hampton together for long stretches like he did last night.
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 406

Post#48 » by MagicTownBaller » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:38 pm

Is Ennis and Bacon next?
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 765

Post#49 » by Tarheel » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:42 pm

BDill012 wrote:
Tarheel wrote:I wonder what happened with that deal for Kevin Knox at the deadline that Shams reported then deleted. Surprises me in that they didn't move him for an asset and just let him go, but anything that allows for WCJ and Bamba to play out all the minutes at 5 for the rest of the year is a good move at this stage.

You mean the tweet from the spoof account?

Lol that's probably why it didn't happen then :lol:
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#50 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:43 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:

you're right... for some reason i thought he was done this season. neverminnnnnnd. hope he doesn't mind the reduced minutes. i wanna see cole and hampton getting.... well..... all of it. with harris set to come back and ross still there... it will be a be hard to get hampton time at the SG position.

p.s. hope they are poised to send ross out this offseason... hence the reason they decided to hold onto him. Pretty sure he knows this as he is so jovial about the trades that have occurred.
Magic_Kingdom
Rookie
And1: 974

Post#51 » by Magic_Kingdom » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:53 pm

I could see them waiving Otto Porter, Jr. too. This is the last year of his deal and he could join a contender for the home stretch. He's always hurt anyway so why not cut him loose?

They will keep MCW because he is under contract next season for a very reasonable $3.3 million. He's a valuable utility player and defender to keep around.

Bacon is also guaranteed money next year and only 25 so they may keep him around. So if they waive anyone else I think it could be Porter.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#52 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Common sense would leave you to believe that Bacon will be out of the rotation && not Hampton. Clifford's rotations last night and the Birch release would indicate that's what should happen. It will be something to monitor though.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#53 » by Howard Mass » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:09 pm

With Wendell Carter Jr. and Mo Bamba here, it was unlikely Khem Birch would be brought back/re-signed anyway.

This frees up more minutes for them and let's Birch move on early.

As for anyone mad that The Magic didn't trade him, they probably couldn't find a deal at The deadline for Birch and considering Evan Fournier only netted two seconds, they might have been lucky to get any 2nd for him.

Khem Birch was a great find for this organization and wish him nothing but the best.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#54 » by Howard Mass » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:11 pm

Someone please start an appreciation thread for Khem.

Thanks!
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#55 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:33 pm

Good for Khem, and good for Bamba/WCJ
aka: prorl
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 578

Post#56 » by MasterGMer » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:36 pm

I know it is a semi good move. But it still puzzles me. We spent so much time on Birch and let him develop and we lost him for nothing. Darn man.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#57 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:57 pm

Khem is better at center than the role of back up 4.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#58 » by The Effect » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:18 pm

MasterGMer wrote:I know it is a semi good move. But it still puzzles me. We spent so much time on Birch and let him develop and we lost him for nothing. Darn man.

I mean Evan, a much better player, got us 2 2nd rounders many years away.....so what was Birch gonna net us, a 2030 2nd rounder? no biggie to me

Hopefully he helps the raptors stay better than us :lol:
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#59 » by The Effect » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:20 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
Read on Twitter

Common sense would leave you to believe that Bacon will be out of the rotation && not Hampton. Clifford's rotations last night and the Birch release would indicate that's what should happen. It will be something to monitor though.

If harris is gonna start playing and be a part of the rotation, then bacon or MCW should probably be waived, im guessing bacon

If the long term plan is Hampton=PG, then mcw needs to go before the next game, if hampton stays at SG, then bacon needs to go

Not saying hampton is some superstar (although he has looked very promising), but he needs to get PT over guys who arent in the long term plans
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#60 » by Xatticus » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:21 pm

BlueMagician wrote:What in the hell??? I get the logic of getting Bamba and WCJ more time, but they couldn't have moved him at the deadline for a 2nd rounder?

I think we can safely assume that nobody was willing to meet that price. There are plenty of similar players toiling away in Europe at any given time and better players get bought out each and every year. He doesn't have value simply because Clifford likes him.

I suspect this move is at Birch's request. He had a reputation as a problem child in college and I doubt he was amenable to getting squeezed from the rotation.

I'm only curious as to how this has all played out behind closed doors. He was available last night but Carter started and Bamba got more run. I'm wondering if the front office mandated that Clifford change course with his center rotation. Carter is obviously better, but I'm just surprised to see Bamba get that many minutes with Birch available.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991

Return to Orlando Magic