ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Re: Clippers Sign Demarcus Boogie Cousins 

Post#41 » by nickhx2 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:18 pm

pass and shoot? idc about that nonsense i just can't wait for him to inject his mental powers into this team because that is what we've been lacking this whole time

btw did you guys know that if you have enough enough players that give you a mental edge it turns into a mental sword?

say hello to your 2021 NBA CHAMPIONS
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#42 » by nickhx2 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:20 pm

notice i didn't say 2021 NBA CHAMPION LA CLIPPERS, because until we add more than just demarcus cousins, we will still only have that one mental edge to work with.
StreakyJ
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#43 » by StreakyJ » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:07 pm

og15 wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:
og15 wrote: :lol: one of those types of posters I see, sorry, not going to spend time with this

How about you save the emojis for your girlfriend. And go play chess then if you want to narrow "mental edge" in a bonafide contact sport down to solely to IQ and composure. Pretty sure I've never seen anyone get their nose broken, teeth knocked out, or shoulder ripped out of socket (Olynyk/KLove) playing chess.

But keep the elitist "high road" comments coming, just proves to me how, as a MODERATOR, your ACTUAL playing experience is pretty f'ing suspect to make such an off-base claim (even in today's less physical 3ball climate). Or doesn't LBJ spend $1M just on his body/physique ... because no mental edge there at all, it's all just physicality. Kobe went out and got Ron Artest for his basketball IQ and composure.

Your comment is akin to Morris in this clip (fail):
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=morris+tries+to+push+boogie&type=E210US91088G0#id=6&vid=151698f99ab2c270eaec2c5ac21c0483&action=click
You can do better than that.

Jumping into the forum with multiple personal attacks is going to get you a break from the forum, I'm not interested in proving myself to, nor am I concerned with randoms on the internet trying to exert dominance or whatever this is supposed to be, sorry, nice try through. Precedent wise though, break time will be needed.

Okay, without giving too much time into this. Mental edge and physical edge are related, but do not always go hand in hand. To have an edge mentally, you have to be both wiling to dish and know how to take it without losing composure yourself. Having a physical edge does not automatically give a mental edge if you aren't also composed enough. Players who give a mental edge with physicality have the ability to do two things:
    1) Know when it is okay to act insane and when it is not (Cousins technical history and any watching of him shows that he does not)
    2) Know how to not get rattled themselves while being able to rattle others (Cousins has a tendency to get rattled and play stupid more than he should)
    3) Aren't easily baited into losing composure to the detriment of their team (Cousins himself can get targeted by the opposition to try to get him out of the game).

So when you cite LeBron, Shaq, Malone, etc, guys who are massive, who will dish it out, who you don't want to get in front of, those guys you rarely see get rattled and have their emotions compromise their game. It's a false comparison. Their physicality leads to a mental edge because they don't lose composure when it is dished at them, and they don't get rattled.

Yes, anyone who has played at any level knows the difference between the guy who is physical and will wear your down physically and mentally with it, and the guy who is physical but can be baited into stupid plays and stupid decisions with physicality or even with just little annoying things by opponents. Those are very different beasts.

Just so everyone knows, Mr. 'Smarter-than-you' emoji-man moderator, DM'd me to try to shut me up while he out here walking back his comments to his "revised" version while still crying "false comparison". Pfffft you get to moderator here by playing both sides fo the fence simultaneous, is that it? I'll give you one of your ;) for that effort.

Like I said, don't let your Moderator status go to your head.

Anyone played a lick of meaningful basketball knows that physicality is absolutely a component of mental edge. It's not even a question. But keep trying to walk it back to save face. And I'll be here laughing while you DM me again (or suspend me, you know he's gonna, Moderator can't afford to look this bad).
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#44 » by RingColluder » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:12 pm

og15 wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:
og15 wrote: :lol: one of those types of posters I see, sorry, not going to spend time with this

How about you save the emojis for your girlfriend. And go play chess then if you want to narrow "mental edge" in a bonafide contact sport down to solely to IQ and composure. Pretty sure I've never seen anyone get their nose broken, teeth knocked out, or shoulder ripped out of socket (Olynyk/KLove) playing chess.

But keep the elitist "high road" comments coming, just proves to me how, as a MODERATOR, your ACTUAL playing experience is pretty f'ing suspect to make such an off-base claim (even in today's less physical 3ball climate). Or doesn't LBJ spend $1M just on his body/physique ... because no mental edge there at all, it's all just physicality. Kobe went out and got Ron Artest for his basketball IQ and composure.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=morris+tries+to+push+boogie&type=E210US91088G0#id=6&vid=151698f99ab2c270eaec2c5ac21c0483&action=click

Jumping into the forum with multiple personal attacks is going to get you a break from the forum, I'm not interested in proving myself to, nor am I concerned with randoms on the internet trying to exert dominance or whatever this is supposed to be, sorry, nice try through. Precedent wise though, break time will be needed.

Okay, without giving too much time into this. Mental edge and physical edge are related, but do not always go hand in hand. To have an edge mentally, you have to be both wiling to dish and know how to take it without losing composure yourself. Having a physical edge does not automatically give a mental edge if you aren't also composed enough. Players who give a mental edge with physicality have the ability to do two things:
    1) Know when it is okay to act insane and when it is not (Cousins technical history and any watching of him shows that he does not)
    2) Know how to not get rattled themselves while being able to rattle others (Cousins has a tendency to get rattled and play stupid more than he should)
    3) Aren't easily baited into losing composure to the detriment of their team (Cousins himself can get targeted by the opposition to try to get him out of the game).

So when you cite LeBron, Shaq, Malone, etc, guys who are massive, who will dish it out, who you don't want to get in front of, those guys you rarely see get rattled and have their emotions compromise their game. It's a false comparison. Their physicality leads to a mental edge because they don't lose composure when it is dished at them, and they don't get rattled.

Yes, anyone who has played at any level knows the difference between the guy who is physical and will wear your down physically and mentally with it, and the guy who is physical but can be baited into stupid plays and stupid decisions with physicality or even with just little annoying things by opponents. Those are very different beasts.

Umm that Clemenza has thrown MULTIPLE personality attacks my way including calling me psychotic, I've told them to stop twice and still they have yet to get any break from the forum? What's up with that?

I'm fine if the rules on this board are pretty open and it's a somewhat free for all (as it appears to have been since I've been here), but threatening a ban given the nature of some of the posts thrown my way is a joke.

What we call a double standard.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,806

Post#45 » by og15 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:34 am

StreakyJ wrote:
og15 wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:

Just so everyone knows, Mr. 'Smarter-than-you' emoji-man moderator, DM'd me to try to shut me up while he out here walking back his comments to his "revised" version while still crying "false comparison". Pfffft you get to moderator here by playing both sides fo the fence simultaneous, is that it? I'll give you one of your ;) for that effort.

Anyone played a lick of meaningful basketball knows that physicality is absolutely a component of mental edge. It's not even a question. But keep trying to walk it back to save face. And I'll be here laughing while you DM me again (or suspend me, you know he's gonna, Moderator can't afford to look this bad).

That was a notification initiated by you getting a warning, other posters who have been given a notification when they had a warning would have experienced the same. It wasn't a private message.

Let's post verbatim what the "shutting up" notification says, so you don't use the hidden nature of it to act persecuted and victimized:

I would be more concerned if this was directed at another user. I personally don't care, but it is the principle. Personal attacks are against forum rules. Argue against points made, not at people.

Look, here is the reality, you are already averaging a ban a month since you joined the forum, your previous interactions on the forum have you flagged, so you're not going to get the benefit of the doubt compared to other posters who don't have that same situation. Sucks, but if you've caused trouble around the site, you will generally have to be on your "best behavior" when you drop into different forums.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#46 » by og15 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:36 am

RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:

Umm that Clemenza has thrown MULTIPLE personality attacks my way including calling me psychotic, I've told them to stop twice and still they have yet to get any break from the forum? What's up with that?

I'm fine if the rules on this board are pretty open and it's a somewhat free for all (as it appears to have been since I've been here), but threatening a ban given the nature of some of the posts thrown my way is a joke.

What we call a double standard.

You can PM me about that, but understand that you have been given a lot of leeway with derailing threads, so just take that into account.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#47 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:01 am

That pass to Kennard on the opposite corner from post. 360 courtvision.
couple handoffs, behind the arc playmaking from a big.
Solid screens and O. rebounds.
Corner shoot.

Rotation player out there.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#48 » by og15 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:56 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:That pass to Kennard on the opposite corner from post. 360 courtvision.
couple handoffs, behind the arc playmaking from a big.
Solid screens and O. rebounds.
Corner shoot.

Rotation player out there.

His biggest issue this season has been fouls. He’s going to foul, but it’s okay because he’s not expected to play starters minutes. Cousins obviously has skills, he was supposed to be a max player before all the injuries. Right now he just has to be put in the best situations defensively and he should be useful. His mobility was decent, you can obviously see that the little lift he did have is gone, and he’s not “fast” by any means, but he can move okay enough.

All he has to do on this team is be better than Patrick Patterson, which I’d say is pretty doable.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#49 » by TheNewEra » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:40 pm

Good game from Boogie
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,041

Post#50 » by LamarWho » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:22 pm

Sometimes I forgot this guy was as talented as Towns, Embiid. He provides a big body which we can use against guys like Jokic and Drummond. As long as he keeps his emotions in check on the court, I would like to see us pick him up for the rest of the season.
NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Post#51 » by NickP » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:30 pm

LamarWho wrote:Sometimes I forgot this guy was as talented as Towns, Embiid. He provides a big body which we can use against guys like Jokic and Drummond. As long as he keeps his emotions in check on the court, I would like to see us pick him up for the rest of the season.

It was frustrating to see Noah not get any playing time against Jokic even if it was to simply disrupt him and get fouls. Hope Lue can find ways to use Boogie.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#52 » by nickhx2 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:05 pm

very big non-fan of him and the person he is.

i don't really expect much out of him on the court but so far at least he's better than the trashcan that i thought he'd be
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#53 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:19 pm

nickhx2 wrote:very big non-fan of him and the person he is.

i don't really expect much out of him on the court but so far at least he's better than the trashcan that i thought he'd be

You don't like swords???
StreakyJ
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#54 » by StreakyJ » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:19 am

og15 wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:
og15 wrote:Jumping into the forum with multiple personal attacks is going to get you a break from the forum, I'm not interested in proving myself to, nor am I concerned with randoms on the internet trying to exert dominance or whatever this is supposed to be, sorry, nice try through. Precedent wise though, break time will be needed.

That was a notification initiated by you getting a warning, other posters who have been given a notification when they had a warning would have experienced the same. It wasn't a private message.

Let's post verbatim what the "shutting up" notification says, so you don't use the hidden nature of it to act persecuted and victimized:

I would be more concerned if this was directed at another user. I personally don't care, but it is the principle. Personal attacks are against forum rules. Argue against points made, not at people.

Look, here is the reality, you are already averaging a ban a month since you joined the forum, your previous interactions on the forum have you flagged, so you're not going to get the benefit of the doubt compared to other posters who don't have that same situation. Sucks, but if you've caused trouble around the site, you will generally have to be on your "best behavior" when you drop into different forums.

I think you're a joke dude. Seriously. You couldn't even suspend me yourself, you had to pawn it off on the 'site administrator' whoever the f that is. Yet here you are again Mr. "Here's the reality". You weak sauce and you know it, why you come with that elitist act. It's your little life coping mechanism.

Real life GM's were gonna pay Boogie $120M pre-injury when he was considered top 3 center in the league for a playoff team. But we should instead follow your "player ettiquette" recipe-for-success and your 'physicality is just physical' comments from above.
HINT: if someone here doesn't get it, it's you.

Suspend me all you want for talking about the ACTUAL game of basketball while you write your watered-down armchair garbage.

Go home, junior. Past your bedtime.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#55 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:33 am

Boogie's 10-day contract is up, and now he's missing from the Clipper official website.

https://www.nba.com/clippers/roster

Ty says he wants to keep him but there seems to be a delay in the mental part.

Lue tipped his hand about Cousins in response to a somewhat loaded question by The Athletic’s Law Murray, asking if Lue was “looking forward to [Cousins] continuing on with this roster.”

“Yeah we’re looking forward for him to continue on,” Lue said. “He was big for us. The toughest thing is, when he’s in the game it’s hard to run plays because he really hasn’t caught up yet as far as the plays, because we haven’t had a lot of practice time. That kind of stumped us a little bit. But his play, just knowing the game, his IQ, being able to shoot it, to post up, and bring physicality to the team. We’ve just got to get him up to speed on the playbook so we can call more sets when he’s in the game.”

https://www.theartsofentertainment.com/lue-indicates-clippers-have-already-decided-on-cousins-future/

OTOH some ESPN guy says

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 763

Post#56 » by donemilio21 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:23 pm

esqtvd wrote:Boogie's 10-day contract is up, and now he's missing from the Clipper official website.

https://www.nba.com/clippers/roster

Ty says he wants to keep him but there seems to be a delay in the mental part.

Lue tipped his hand about Cousins in response to a somewhat loaded question by The Athletic’s Law Murray, asking if Lue was “looking forward to [Cousins] continuing on with this roster.”

“Yeah we’re looking forward for him to continue on,” Lue said. “He was big for us. The toughest thing is, when he’s in the game it’s hard to run plays because he really hasn’t caught up yet as far as the plays, because we haven’t had a lot of practice time. That kind of stumped us a little bit. But his play, just knowing the game, his IQ, being able to shoot it, to post up, and bring physicality to the team. We’ve just got to get him up to speed on the playbook so we can call more sets when he’s in the game.”

https://www.theartsofentertainment.com/lue-indicates-clippers-have-already-decided-on-cousins-future/

OTOH some ESPN guy says

Read on Twitter

Never heard of Malik Fitts before.
It makes sense to sign Boogie to 2nd 10-day. We need him until Ibaka returns. With playoffs nearing, it may make sense to sign him for rest of the season after his 2nd day is up, as long as we don't need the roster spot for someone else.
Yogi won't be in our rotation for playoffs, even if he was our only point guard.
mick3y
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#57 » by mick3y » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:06 pm

Boogie will be an integral part of this teams run. Looking at last years matchups they could’ve lost to Dallas with a healthy porg and the second unit was decimated with their lack of size.

I know it’s a long shot but vs the lakers I’d love to see a Baka and boog line up to combat the glass and paint.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#58 » by TheNewEra » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:23 pm

I still like the add to the team
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,419

Post#59 » by TrueLAfan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:19 pm

Boogie helps. He seems to have accepted his current role and level of ability. That's the big deal. If he's there, he's still an effective player. If he's like some other players whose skills dropped off for whatever reason (*cough* Dwight! *cough*) that think they're at a higher level than they actually are, it's a problem. Cousins has been a pretty good citizen for the last couple of years. From an NBA/ability standpoint, i think his physical condition has somewhat stabilized. He's over 20 months out from the ACL tear. He is what he is now, and if he knows that, then can play.

I'm actually kind of psyched about Yogi Ferrell. He's the type of low rotation player I like; smart, knows his limits, plays within his skillset. He's a very very good P and R guy, which will help us, and he can shoot and score a little. Oddly, his weakness is probably as a passer--he's a decent playmaker, but not a great one. But he has and can run an offense and, like I said, he's a hard working, heady player. You could do a lot worse for a #5/#6 guard than Yogi Ferrell.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#60 » by Clemenza » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:26 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Boogie helps. He seems to have accepted his current role and level of ability. That's the big deal. If he's there, he's still an effective player. If he's like some other players whose skills dropped off for whatever reason (*cough* Dwight! *cough*) that think they're at a higher level than they actually are, it's a problem. Cousins has been a pretty good citizen for the last couple of years. From an NBA/ability standpoint, i think his physical condition has somewhat stabilized. He's over 20 months out from the ACL tear. He is what he is now, and if he knows that, then can play.

I'm actually kind of psyched about Yogi Ferrell. He's the type of low rotation player I like; smart, knows his limits, plays within his skillset. He's a very very good P and R guy, which will help us, and he can shoot and score a little. Oddly, his weakness is probably as a passer--he's a decent playmaker, but not a great one. But he has and can run an offense and, like I said, he's a hard working, heady player. You could do a lot worse for a #5/#6 guard than Yogi Ferrell.

There's not one fraction of a minute of playing time for Yogi Ferrell if our guards stay healthy.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers