ImageImageImage

Game 50: Utah Jazz (38-12) @ Phoenix Suns (35-14) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l ESPN

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Re: Game 50: Utah Jazz (38-12) @ Phoenix Suns (35-14) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l ESPN 

Post#541 » by Revived » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:26 pm

An area to improve on is finishing QTRs strong. We had double digit leads in both the 1st and 3rd QTRs but we finished both QTRs down by 1.

A lot of it is just reverting to iso play instead of running our reg offense which got us the lead in the first place.

Also, Monty has been unbelievable for us and one of the better coaches we’ve had in a long time. That being said, he might have the worst out of timeout plays in clutch situations out of all teams in the league. Putting CP3 or Booker in a pick and roll is usually a guaranteed bucket for us but we go away from that in those situations. Or utilizing any kind of screen. I thought he turned a page after the Mavericks game where Booker came off the screen on a well designed play but now it’s been several games that they reverted back to the “give Booker the ball and clear out and wait till time expires” crap.

Overall these are relatively small things and not a huge concern but just areas to improve.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Re: Game 50: Utah Jazz (38-12) @ Phoenix Suns (35-14) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l ESPN 

Post#542 » by Saberestar » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:39 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
3/$120 would be ridiculous. No one else would come even in the ballpark of that. He'd be lucky to get half that on the open market. I don't think anyone making $45 will turn down an option anyway. Not with the possibility of major injury, etc.

The same could be said about Gordon Hayward and you saw the contract that he signed with the Hornets in the last offseason.

The way CP3 is playing he will get another big contract, hopefully from us because we will not be able to get a better player than him.

Yeah, but he didn't make nearly as much and got almost an equal contract offer going forward..his agent probably knew he would get that, is a lot younger, etc.

I don't think CP3 would make more than about $15 million per year on his next contract. Maybe $20 million, but the Suns would probably prefer he opt in anyway, and give him a significantly lesser contract after that, since Ayton and Bridges will still be on rookie contracts next year and will go up significantly the following year.

Hayward did not play for a full season the year before because of that huge injury, so passing of that big one year deal was not expected.

CP3 is gonna get a huge contract because he is Top 20 player in the league NOW.

He can enter FA in a couple months and get a longer deal, so I would not be surprised at all if he gets a three year deal at around $40M per year, and that would be an small paycut from his potential salary next year.

He deserves it. I do not know why do you think that he needs to get just around $15M.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#543 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:54 pm

He'd get more than $15m but probably less than $40m. Partly because it's hard to actually open $40m in cap space.

But I've learned to never say never when it comes to NBA contracts. Every year there's some that make me say 'wow he got THAT much?'

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#544 » by King4Day » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:39 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
King4Day wrote:When did this happen?
I am listening to NBA radio and they commented on how the Knicks should go after him with their cap space.

I'm starting to believe he's going to opt out and there is no doubt he'll demand a 3 year, maybe 40mil per deal. And if he does, James Jones needs to oblige.
I can't see him going to NY. I know they're improved, but they aren't winning a title.

Why would he opt out to make 3/40 when he makes 1/45? We are better served anyway with a 1/45 and a 2/20 or something since Bridges and Ayton's extensions get in after the 45.

I think he is saying that CP3 probably would agree to sign a $120M/3 years deal this summer, renouncing to his TO for $45M.

I would be OK with that contract, but obviously I would prefer a cheaper deal.

Something around $100M/3 years would be nice.

Right, I was saying 3 years, 40mil per. He sees what Jrue did and what Hayward did. Paul is older but still a game change.

I'm not saying he'll be worth 40per until he turns 38, but if he opts out, there's no doubt he'll get a similar offer from NY. We're going to have to give it to him and he absolutely should do that. Hopefully we can use any cap space/trades before it happens though.
This team is built to win with him so we can't afford to let him go.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#545 » by King4Day » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:41 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:He'd get more than $15m but probably less than $40m. Partly because it's hard to actually open $40m in cap space.

But I've learned to never say never when it comes to NBA contracts. Every year there's some that make me say 'wow he got THAT much?'

The John Hollinger article seemed to indicate teams like Dallas, Miami, New Orleans, and NY will be able to offer him in the 30-35 mil per range.
Sounds like we can outbid them all though if I read correctly.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,469

Post#546 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:02 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:The same could be said about Gordon Hayward and you saw the contract that he signed with the Hornets in the last offseason.

The way CP3 is playing he will get another big contract, hopefully from us because we will not be able to get a better player than him.

Yeah, but he didn't make nearly as much and got almost an equal contract offer going forward..his agent probably knew he would get that, is a lot younger, etc.

I don't think CP3 would make more than about $15 million per year on his next contract. Maybe $20 million, but the Suns would probably prefer he opt in anyway, and give him a significantly lesser contract after that, since Ayton and Bridges will still be on rookie contracts next year and will go up significantly the following year.

Hayward did not play for a full season the year before because of that huge injury, so passing of that big one year deal was not expected.

CP3 is gonna get a huge contract because he is Top 20 player in the league NOW.

He can enter FA in a couple months and get a longer deal, so I would not be surprised at all if he gets a three year deal at around $40M per year, and that would be an small paycut from his potential salary next year.

He deserves it. I do not know why do you think that he needs to get just around $15M.

Like I said, he may get more like $20, but few competitors need PGs and have tons of cap space, and a rebuilding team wouldn't put that much money into him, and obviously we shouldn't bid against ourselves.

I know you think he will get a ton of money at his age but it's not realistic and would be really unprecedented. Even his current contract was considered a bad contract...though obviously it works for us.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#547 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:06 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:He'd get more than $15m but probably less than $40m. Partly because it's hard to actually open $40m in cap space.

Yeah, but not for ages 37+, unless your name is LeBron. I mean if he were to say "Suns, you guys pay me 2/80 for the next two years (after next year) or I'm going to the Lakers (despite making far far less)" maybe we'd pony up, but we are not going to bid against ourselves. I am not sure who you think would possibly pay him that much. I don't think people will have that space available unless a star expires and they lose him for nothing or something like that and have no other option...I also think he'd only want to play for a handful of teams, which would impact his market. He is already coming off a 4/$160 deal. I think it's more important to him to keep playing and competing than making a ton of money, particularly after this contract.

If he declined the option and we wanted to go 3, I could see something like 3/$75 or 3/$80...that's is still and extra $30-$35 million which is nothing to scoff at.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#548 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:11 pm

King4Day wrote:

The John Hollinger article seemed to indicate teams like Dallas, Miami, New Orleans, and NY will be able to offer him in the 30-35 mil per range.
Sounds like we can outbid them all though if I read correctly.

I was thinking maybe Dallas was about the only possibility. I can't see him wanting to go to NY that much. But if he pretended he wanted to go there we could possibly have to pay him. I don't think NO either even though he started his career there. Miami if they do have the money maybe..would be surprising with Paul, the Dipo hold, etc, but I guess since their other key pieces are on rookie deals it's possible. Some of those might have to be sign and trades.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#549 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:18 pm

I guess Dallas could offer $35 million a year...and then he says:

Or what about Miami? The Heat probably can’t get to that amount in pure cap room (they top out at $30 million if they cut everything to the bone), but they could easily hit a larger number in a sign-and-trade deal if Paul indicates that’s where he’s heading regardless.

A few wilder scenarios also stand out. What about a return to New Orleans, for instance? The Pelicans could get to $30 million, cap-room wise, if they let Lonzo Ball walk and use the stretch provision on Eric Bledsoe. And the Knicks, of course, will always lurk as a team willing to overpay for a star. New York needs a point guard, is firmly in win-now mode and could offer Paul his max, $124 million over three years

but I don't see it. The Heat I guess could do it no other free agents and their last chance to spend on free agents before they re-up Dipo if they want to keep him, but sounds like they'd need to cut a bunch of people.

I don't see him wanting the Knicks...not sure they'd want to sink a ton in him, but maybe while they have a bunch of rookie contracts..he could certainly elevate them to no worse than a clear 4 seed, at least next year maybe while he still has juice.

If one of those teams tempts him, he may use it as negotiating power with Phx, so I guess it's possible, especially since we have backed ourselves into a corner, though it probably puts us in the tax and repeater tax the two years after next year, which of course I'm fine paying, but not sure about Sarver.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#550 » by Frank Lee » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:39 pm

I could see Paul rolling one yr deals from here out
What ? Me Worry ?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#551 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:55 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Great win.

Ayton was awesome, he's had better stat lines but that was one of my favorite games of his career.

Several of these offensive rebounds late, it was him and Gobert tipping the ball up between them. Really thought Gobert would have it since he's taller with longer arms, but nope. Somehow Ayton managed to get just a little higher time after time. What a beast.

100% effort

That was the difference. The thing was Gobert is that he's kinda an old-school big without a strong 2nd jump, he doesn't normally need multiple efforts to secure a rebound after it's been tipped in the air a few times and he's so big and wide that he usually boxes out well enough that it's an easy rebound for him. But because Gobert is so tall and long already, he doesn't usually need to put in serious multiple efforts for rebounds whereas Ayton did in this game. DA just kept tipping it up and up until he was able to secure it over Gobert. He won the rebounding battle in that critical 4th and OT period not because he outworked Gobert.

Also have to give the team massive props for everyone putting in effort to box out and gang rebound. A 61-45 rebounding advantage could only happen with team rebounding and that's a huge win against the best rebounding team in the league (we're 20th)
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#552 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:57 pm

Saberestar wrote:Props to Cam Johnson who was much needed for this game.

He played 37 minutes! Low usage, played very good defense and opened the floor (3/5 from three). 11 points and 8 boards. You can trust him.

The guy was really good defensively. He jammed up a few guys multiple times and he really helped with the rebounding. He made Bridges' absence for most of the game largely forgettable.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#553 » by DickGrayson » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:08 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:Suns #1

Like I said.

Suns #1 in the West to me.

They have the most balance, tools and defense hasn't even peaked yet. They will be facing the Nets IMO and I've seen everything I needed to see. Injuries can only stop these teams. Well deserved for Phoenix and their fanbase. Suns outside of Paul have a core of Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Johnson, Carter, Smith and I think that's elite...these guys aren't even in their prime. Suns can beat elite teams and last season in the Bubble prove win streaks are a norm. 7 Straight wins.

Don't tell the Knicks board I'm bandwagonning. I was stanning for the Suns since the Leandrinho days and when Marbury got Leandro a car for his rookie season as a welcoming gesture. Take care.

We have the defenders...or at least about as good of defenders as you can for their 3 too...with CP3 on Kyrie, Bridges on Harden (or Cam who is like 2nd in DRAPM in the NBA) and Ayton on KD....not sure if you have watched Ayton but he can stick with just about anyone, and has the length to bother shots...even maybe KD's given his length...he is the only player near the top in contested 2s and contested 3s, so combined he's like top 5 in total the NBA in constested shots.

This is my point exactly.

Bridges, Ayton, Johnson, Smith, Carter are all extremely young and haven't come close to peaking yet. It's the most modern NBA defense. Guys can switch, rotate, contest shots, help defense. Right now they're elite and my favorite defense in the West, at their peak I believe they will dominate the league. If Suns keep this core together, #1 defense in the league for multiple years. Booker has improved as well and with CP3 settling in Phoenix, teams are going to struggle scoring against the switchable wing defenders, interior defense with Ayton and Carter who's potentially all NBA defense because he's what I need on my Knicks....Payton is a fugazi defender and Knicks dont play Frank.

I also believe their potential are higher than what people are scouting because Paul will leave good accountability on these players and they will buy into what it takes to be a team that can be efficient on both sides of the ball. I believe Suns took the right direction building off their hot streak of last season and finally have a team identity. Phoenix rising.

Return to Phoenix Suns