Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Re: Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread 

Post#1361 » by cjmcallist » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:28 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:I don't trust any OKC rumor, even less from Windhorst. The CP3 situation was different because Presti allowed him to speak to other teams...was almost a FA situation.

I think Woj knows some obvious trade possibilities like Hill/Muscala etc. but Presi don't talk about deals. Nobody knew we were gonna trade Diallo.

No reason for Presti to change the way he approaches trade talks and it's not like he's already talking about a SGA trade with other GMs that could leak to Windhorst, so this is pure bul**** coming from him...he may be betting on the fact that our timeline is short with SGA and we could consider trading him.

I think that's exactly right.

It does make sense, given the talent in this years draft and next years draft.

I'm not saying trade him (yet). But, it would fit the original plan to try for a top pick in 2021 and 2022. Keeping SGA makes us better next year.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#1362 » by Old Man Game » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:23 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Feels timely that this list from ESPN just came out naming SGA as a top 10 player under 25 years old in the league. Pretty sure you wouldn't deal him for anyone in this draft. A bird in the hand being better than 2 in the bush and all.

I feel like people are buying in too much to the top five guys being all being guaranteed super stars and everyone else being a bust.

It's nuts that people have seemingly learned nothing from years of draft watching. Example, remember the year Fultz was drafted? All year long, 'Markelle Fultz, he's a can't miss prospect. He's Russell Westbook with a 3 point jumper.' Etc. etc. Or Greg Oden for F's sake. He was supposed to be an all time level center like Hakeem.

People there's no such thing as a guaranteed draft prospect. For a multitude of reasons. Some their fault. Some not. But there are no sure things. Not now. Not ever.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#1363 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:56 am

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Feels timely that this list from ESPN just came out naming SGA as a top 10 player under 25 years old in the league. Pretty sure you wouldn't deal him for anyone in this draft. A bird in the hand being better than 2 in the bush and all.

I feel like people are buying in too much to the top five guys being all being guaranteed super stars and everyone else being a bust.

It's nuts that people have seemingly learned nothing from years of draft watching. Example, remember the year Fultz was drafted? All year long, 'Markelle Fultz, he's a can't miss prospect. He's Russell Westbook with a 3 point jumper.' Etc. etc. Or Greg Oden for F's sake. He was supposed to be an all time level center like Hakeem.

People there's no such thing as a guaranteed draft prospect. For a multitude of reasons. Some their fault. Some not. But there are no sure things. Not now. Not ever.

Outside of guys like Lebron or Luka, proper development plays a huge roll. I don’t think shai is the player he is right now if he doesn’t get the opportunities he’s gotten.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Jimmy Early
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#1364 » by Jimmy Early » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:14 pm

It all depends on the lottery, of course, but I think if we don't get a top 5 pick, there is still 0% chance that Presti would trade SGA for a top 5 pick straight up. NO CHANCE. I think there's a pretty GOOD chance that there would be a package with OKC's #1 pick (let's say it is #7) with one of the Clippers' first round picks (2022 or 2024) to move into the top 5.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1365 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:08 pm

Jimmy Early wrote:It all depends on the lottery, of course, but I think if we don't get a top 5 pick, there is still 0% chance that Presti would trade SGA for a top 5 pick straight up. NO CHANCE. I think there's a pretty GOOD chance that there would be a package with OKC's #1 pick (let's say it is #7) with one of the Clippers' first round picks (2022 or 2024) to move into the top 5.

The 2024 Clippers pick could be pretty good. The 2022 looks kind of meh right now unless they Clippers have an injury.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#1366 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:22 pm

Outsider here, but a huge fan of SGA and Poku. Do you see OKC as a FA player this offseason? I was looking at young guys that fit the timeline and came up with the following:

THT - IMO it takes a huge overpay to get him. If Presti thinks he can be the 3rd guy in a 'big 3', you make the move.
GTJ - Again, will take a huge overpay to get him from TOR who seems to want him long term, and despite his play I dont think he has long term potential as more than a elite 4th option.
Lonzo Ball - I dont think OKC will be on his list due to market issues
Zach Collins - This is the guy I really like for OKC. Switchy stretch big who could come cheap due to injury issues. Presti loves value, and this could be a great fit.
Lauri Markkanen - I think he will cost a good amount and not be worth it due to defensive liability.

Those are the only somewhat big money guys with the right age that IMO OKC should be looking at IMO.

To me an ideal offseason for OKC would look like: Move Horford for something, sign Zach Collins. resign Svi

Luck into pick #4 - Jalen Green G - The pure scorer that OKC needs. He has special body control, great form, great athleticism and is fearless. Will need to learn to play w/o the ball in his hands.
18 - Neemias Queta C - A tremendously underrated prospect. He plays like poor mans Embiid. Great footwork and hands, great roll man, excellent shotblocker, good mobility for his size, great passer for a big. Just needs to add a jumpshot but his 70% FT rate gives hope.
31 - Ariel Hukporti C - Draft/Stash big who can compete w/ Brown in a year for C3
55 - Traded for something or sold

G - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander / Theo Maledon / Ty Jerome
G - Jalen Green / Luguentz Dort / Ty Jerome
F - Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk / Kenrich Williams / Vit Krejci
F - Aleksej Pokusevski / Darius Bazley / Isaiah Roby
C - Zach Collins / Neemias Queta / Moses Brown
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#1367 » by Dn4sty » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:50 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Outsider here, but a huge fan of SGA and Poku. Do you see OKC as a FA player this offseason? I was looking at young guys that fit the timeline and came up with the following:

THT - IMO it takes a huge overpay to get him. If Presti thinks he can be the 3rd guy in a 'big 3', you make the move.
GTJ - Again, will take a huge overpay to get him from TOR who seems to want him long term, and despite his play I dont think he has long term potential as more than a elite 4th option.
Zach Collins - This is the guy I really like for OKC. Switchy stretch big who could come cheap due to injury issues. Presti loves value, and this could be a great fit.
Lauri Markkanen - I think he will cost a good amount and not be worth it due to defensive liability.

Those are the only somewhat big money guys with the right age that IMO OKC should be looking at IMO.

To me an ideal offseason for OKC would look like: Move Horford for something, sign Zach Collins. resign Svi

Luck into pick #4 - Jalen Green G - The pure scorer that OKC needs. He has special body control, great form, great athleticism and is fearless. Will need to learn to play w/o the ball in his hands.
18 - Neemias Queta C - A tremendously underrated prospect. He plays like poor mans Embiid. Great footwork and hands, great roll man, excellent shotblocker, good mobility for his size, great passer for a big. Just needs to add a jumpshot but his 70% FT rate gives hope.
31 - Ariel Hukporti C - Draft/Stash big who can compete w/ Brown in a year for C3

I’m not a Zach Collins fan at all. I’d rather run it back with Horford if they are going to attempt to compete.

If OKC can get to #4, I’d like to think they could move up to #1, even if it was an overpay. Cade fits their biggest position of need (SF), is local, and has tremendous upside.

I’d also consider giving Houston back some picks or changing protections to absorb Christian Wood into one of the numerous TPEs OKC has.

I am intrigued by Queta though
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#1368 » by jake_swivel » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:33 pm

Dn4sty wrote:
If OKC can get to #4, I’d like to think they could move up to #1, even if it was an overpay. Cade fits their biggest position of need (SF), is local, and has tremendous upside.

I’d also consider giving Houston back some picks or changing protections to absorb Christian Wood into one of the numerous TPEs OKC has.

I’m dubious we could move from #4 to #1. What would an overpay look like to you?

I do like the Christian Wood idea.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#1369 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:44 pm

I’m not a Zach Collins fan at all. I’d rather run it back with Horford if they are going to attempt to compete.

I dont think signing Zach would be an indication they are trying to compete. He is 23.

His rebounding could be an issue, but he brings all the other tools of a modern big. 3PT shot, can switch at a tremendous level for a 7 footer, weakside shotblocking, decent passer. I am saying that at like 10M per he could end up a big value long term. He has talent, he was great in the Blazers WCF run a few years ago. Posted a really impressive DBPM and was showing excellent toughness.

Just my 2C.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#1370 » by jake_swivel » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:55 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
I dont think signing Zach would be an indication they are trying to compete. He is 23.

His rebounding could be an issue, but he brings all the other tools of a modern big. 3PT shot, can switch at a tremendous level for a 7 footer, weakside shotblocking, decent passer. I am saying that at like 10M per he could end up a big value long term. He has talent, he was great in the Blazers WCF run a few years ago. Posted a really impressive DBPM and was showing excellent toughness.

Just my 2C.

It’s clearly supposition at this point, but OKC already has 15 players under contract or restricted for next season and 5 picks in the draft. Obviously some could be consolidated or not resigned, but from what I understand (someone correct me if not), if the thunder go over the MLE to sign anyone, it means that their current trade exceptions go poof. I think they have between $50-60 million worth. So it looks like Presti is moving in the direction of not trying to sign any FAs. Could be wrong, but that’s what it seems like.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#1371 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:05 pm

Dn4sty wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Outsider here, but a huge fan of SGA and Poku. Do you see OKC as a FA player this offseason? I was looking at young guys that fit the timeline and came up with the following:

I am intrigued by Queta though

I don't think we could move from 7,8 to 1. Moving up to #4 is more likely (and already going to be expensive). Green is a tier below the top 3 IMO. I would obviously prefer to get Cade or Mobley but at this point I will be happy if we can get Green.

Only 2 years of contract for Wood so don't think I would be willing to give up a lot of value for him (he makes more sense on some other teams).

Not a Zach Collins fan either but...who knows.

Really hope we keep Svi. I like him. 20 more games to see if it's worth offering a contract to Bradley...a bit early to tell right now.

To answer your main question, I don't see OKC as a FA player this offseason. We have a lot of young players to develop and we are drating some others so...I think we are fine.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#1372 » by Dn4sty » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:29 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:

I’m dubious we could move from #4 to #1. What would an overpay look like to you?

Let’s say Rockets get pick #1

You could give the Rockets back all their picks and see what else would be necessary. I’m not sure how close the value is, but I think it’s possible you could make a deal work between these two teams
obispo
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#1373 » by obispo » Fri Apr 9, 2021 7:50 pm

It's rumored that Vasilje Micic (Euroleague player) is joining Thunder this summer.

A very high quality signing for sure. Top iq player even he is not very athletic. A lebron type organizer for Euroleague level.

Congratulations!

CPH2113 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1374 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:28 am

Dn4sty wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:

Let’s say Rockets get pick #1

You could give the Rockets back all their picks and see what else would be necessary. I’m not sure how close the value is, but I think it’s possible you could make a deal work between these two teams

I don't think there is any way Houston does that. If the roles were reversed, I certainly wouldn't make that trade. Regardless of how much getting those picks back would help Houston, nothing helps more than drafting a transcendent talent right now. Also, if Houston is bad enough to worry about losing a good pick in 2024 or whenever, then they would also be bad enough to have a good chance to keep it, like they would this year in your scenario. Basically, it's a bird in the hand... kind of thing.

Spoiler:
2024 first round draft pick from Houston protected for selections 1-4;
2025 first round draft pick from Houston or L.A. Clippers (swap, Oklahoma City outgoing to Houston, L.A. Clippers or Brooklyn)
2026 first round draft pick from Houston
Houston's 2026 1st round pick to Oklahoma City protected for selections 1-4
2027 second round draft pick from Houston
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,380

Post#1375 » by DaddyCool19 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:26 pm

Do you guys think 1 of your guards get traded? Micic is joining next season and with the way he was playing and him declining an offer from Real Madrid and Efes (he makes 1,7M $ after taxes now, could be even more if he stayed), he either is going to get a decent raise or a big enough role to come over for similar money.

With SGA, Maledon, Jerome, Dort and Micic around, it doesn't seem like there are enough minutes for all of them. Maybe one of the non SGA and Micic guys get packaged in a trade to trade up for a player Presti really likes?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1376 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:32 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:Do you guys think 1 of your guards get traded? Micic is joining next season and with the way he was playing and him declining an offer from Real Madrid and Efes (he makes 1,7M $ after taxes now, could be even more if he stayed), he either is going to get a decent raise or a big enough role to come over for similar money.

With SGA, Maledon, Jerome, Dort and Micic around, it doesn't seem like there are enough minutes for all of them. Maybe one of the non SGA and Micic guys get packaged in a trade to trade up for a player Presti really likes?

It’s definitely a possibility. Presti is going to have to be proactive to maximize value on picks and players before they have to be moved for pennies on the dollar.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#1377 » by thedoppelganger » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:19 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
DaddyCool19 wrote:Do you guys think 1 of your guards get traded? Micic is joining next season and with the way he was playing and him declining an offer from Real Madrid and Efes (he makes 1,7M $ after taxes now, could be even more if he stayed), he either is going to get a decent raise or a big enough role to come over for similar money.

It’s definitely a possibility. Presti is going to have to be proactive to maximize value on picks and players before they have to be moved for pennies on the dollar.

Think Micic will be next year's George Hill, showcase him the first half of the year and trade at the deadline. I'll be really interested to see the contract he gets, if it's similar to what Mirotic got when he came over. Could see Jerome being a trade chip given his age if a playoff team wants to part with a 1st.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#1378 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:24 pm

I wonder how frontloaded a Svi contract could be. I think getting him for the long haul (4 years) with as much $$$ as possible going to him early.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#1379 » by Devilanche » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:28 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:I wonder how frontloaded a Svi contract could be. I think getting him for the long haul (4 years) with as much $$$ as possible going to him early.

I thought they removed the front end bonus after the nick collison extension ? So we are down to a normal contract with normal decrease.

Unless you can give bonuses that likely won’t hit in the later year , like winning mvp or something of that like .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#1380 » by jake_swivel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:57 am

Devilanche wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:I wonder how frontloaded a Svi contract could be. I think getting him for the long haul (4 years) with as much $$$ as possible going to him early.

I thought they removed the front end bonus after the nick collison extension ? So we are down to a normal contract with normal decrease.

Unless you can give bonuses that likely won’t hit in the later year , like winning mvp or something of that like .

It can still decrease 8% per year. As to the signing bonus, capwise it appears that it is portioned out equally to each year of the contract. The player just receives it upfront.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q53

“The raise limit also applies to salary decreases -- for example, since the Larry Bird exception limits raises to 8% of the first-year salary, the salary may also decrease by up to 8% of the first-year salary.

The percentage (5% or 8%) applies to regular salary, i.e., the player's base salary, not including signing bonuses or anything treated like a signing bonus. The same limit also usually applies separately to likely and unlikely incentives, and to the total salary (which includes signing bonuses and anything treated like a signing bonus). Because of this rule, certain combinations of signing bonuses and non-guaranteed salary are incompatible.

For example, suppose a team has $9 million of cap room and uses it to sign a player for four years with 5% raises. The first three seasons are fully guaranteed and the fourth season is non-guaranteed. The player also receives a 15% signing bonus. This contract would not be legal.

Teams are allowed to offer the players they sign a bonus worth as much as 15% of the total compensation. The total compensation includes the signing bonus itself, but excludes any incentive compensation. It also includes seasons following an option or ETO. A signing bonus is paid up-front, but it is charged to the salary cap across the guaranteed seasons in the contract (not including option years or years following an ETO), in proportion to the percentage of salary in each of those seasons that is guaranteed.”

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder