ImageImageImage

Race to the bottom: Who's our biggest competition?

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Re: Race to the bottom: Who's our biggest competition? 

Post#481 » by MotownMadness » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:20 pm

bstein14 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
Buying a player out is almost always a bad move unless the player is willing to give up a significant amount of money. Perhaps next year a team will need him at the trade deadline and they won't have to eat all that remaining salary.

They got picks to take that contract, and their goal is to get rid of it for pure expiring and possibly even get a pick back out of it. They've been masterful at taking on contracts and collecting picks, and then trading those contracts for extra picks. Amazing how far their rebuild has gone since Paul George decided he didn't want to be there just a year and a half ago.

Didn't the Pelicans get fined for doing that to Davis? I understand why they would want to sit him as it's a beautiful tank move but wondering how they can for that long.

Davis wanted to play the Pelicans just didn't want to ruin the trade value of someone who asked them for a trade, by having him get injured. At this point in his career, Horford is probably fine with saving the wear and tear on his body and getting paid to stay home. Especially since he is married to a Miss Universe winner and they have four children together. So overall, if both parties agree to it I think its fine. The NBA did also say that this season they wouldn't be enforcing the issue of having stars play and not sit out due to rest, unless it was for National TV games.

That's just crazy for that long but if they both agree to it then yeah I guess it's a bit different.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#482 » by ducler » Fri Apr 9, 2021 7:10 am

Looking at Magic's schedule and ours, it will be very tough for us to stay at this 3rd worst position.

Sent from my STF-L09 using RealGM mobile app
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#483 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:39 pm

19 games remaining.

OKC
WAS
CLE
SAS
CHA
ORL
CHA
MIN

Those games are against teams that dont even want to win. Maybe CHI too, its one of the final games. Last game of the year is against Nuggets - they might be resting.

So half the games are against teams that dont want to win. Casey wants to win.

Thunder are resting everyone. Shai(SGA) has a "leg contusion" and is out for extended time, etc.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#484 » by Manocad » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:47 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:19 games remaining.

OKC
WAS
CLE
SAS
CHA
ORL
CHA
MIN

Those games are against teams that dont even want to win. Maybe CHI too, its one of the final games. Last game of the year is against Nuggets - they might be resting.

Thunder are resting everyone. Shai(SGA) has a "leg contusion" and is out for extended time, etc.

The players want to win. You should be critical of them, those SOB's. Maybe they should be fired. And the casual fans want to see the team win so fire them too while you're at it.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#485 » by Snakebites » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:30 pm

I think we end up fourth, with the Magic ultimately passing us. The other teams have enough easy games of their own that I still think we can hold on.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,307

Post#486 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:56 am

538 win projections still have us 3rd but its getting really really close now. Also the Rockets and Wolves are getting big time separation from us in the projections which include injuries and SOS in there.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2021-nba-predictions/

1. Rockets 19 wins
2.Wolves 20 wins
3.Pistons 23wins
4. Magic 24wins
5.Thunder 25 wins
6.Wiz 26 wins
7. Cavs 26 wins

As you can see its very very close between 3-7. Basically any win over a quality team screws us. We had quite a few early in the season. Thats why I was never celebrating the wins as I knew when it came down to it were going to be battling for draft position.

A drop from 3 to 7 is a huge loss. Going from a 52% chance at top 4 to only 30% and a 7% diff in having a chance at Cade.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#487 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:36 am

We're going to win down the stretch, get 7th and another team will move up in the lottery giving us the 8th pick. If you don't know this is going to happen, you haven't been watching Detroit Pistons basketball the last decade.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#488 » by tmorgan » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:24 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:We're going to win down the stretch, get 7th and another team will move up in the lottery giving us the 8th pick. If you don't know this is going to happen, you haven't been watching Detroit Pistons basketball the last decade.

Welcome, Scottie Barnes!

Say it ain’t so.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,525

Post#489 » by zeebneeb » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:59 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:We're going to win down the stretch, get 7th and another team will move up in the lottery giving us the 8th pick. If you don't know this is going to happen, you haven't been watching Detroit Pistons basketball the last decade.
I hate that it feels like you've seen the future.

:cry:
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#490 » by DetroitSho » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:29 am

Yep because the last decade is going to determine exactly what happens this year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,030

Post#491 » by NYPiston » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:34 am

edmunder_prc wrote:19 games remaining.

OKC
WAS
CLE
SAS
CHA
ORL
CHA
MIN

The Hornets definitely want to win and are still formidable without Ball and Hayward, the Wizards with Beal are pretty much a playoff level team so that'll be tough and the Spurs killed the Pistons not too long ago without DeRozan. Even the Magic have been surprisingly competitive.

With that said, there are definitely some winnable games down the stretch and I think it's a virtual guarantee that they pass Orlando and probably OKC at this rate (they won't win more than one or two games if that) so 5th is looking like the most likely spot. Either way, the Pistons are going to need some lottery luck to stay in the top 5.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#492 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:23 am

DetroitSho wrote:
Yep because the last decade is going to determine exactly what happens this year.

I flipped a coin twice and it was heads both times. Therefore, it is 100% heads and every time I flip it in the future, it will be heads. Simple math, really.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#493 » by sfballa13 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:35 am

DetroitSho wrote:

Pistons have picked in the top 5 of the NBA Draft only three times in the past FORTY years

Isiah Thomas, Grant Hill, Darko

So maybe you are right, the last decade may not determine what happens this year but I'd say the last four decades might
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#494 » by Pharaoh » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:14 am

sfballa13 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:

Pistons have picked in the top 5 of the NBA Draft only three times in the past FORTY years

So maybe you are right, the last decade may not determine what happens this year but I'd say the last four decades might
Did you include all the years we made the playoffs?

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#495 » by Pharaoh » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:19 am

To be fair it's not hard to understand why many here feel we are destined to pick 5th or 6th or later.

The organisation hasn't exactly been blessed with luck in the Lottery whenever we have missed the playoffs.

That's also a reason why tanking for draft picks alone has never been a good way to build a team.

As much **** as Hinkie gets for going full Hinkie he did manage to find quality role players outside of the Draft - they just didn't keep them!

RoCo, TJ, Holmes are just 3 I know the Sixers got from nowhere....

That said the Draft is not the be all, end all of team building. Trades and free agency matter as well

sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#496 » by sfballa13 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:32 am

Pharaoh wrote:
sfballa13 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Yep because the last decade is going to determine exactly what happens this year.

Ironically one of our three top 5 picks was during the 6 straight ECF run

The NBA doesnt want stars in Detroit - never have.

We have had multiple opportunities to get a lucky bounce of the ping pong ball but it never happened

Our last #1 overall pick was in 1970 - Bob Lanier
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#497 » by Pharaoh » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:21 am

sfballa13 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
sfballa13 wrote:

We have had multiple opportunities to get a lucky bounce of the ping pong ball but it never happened

The NBA doesn't want stars in Detroit?

The Bad Boys & the Going to Work Pistons are still brought up as legendary! Grant Hill just got a USA basketball position.

We are part of the fabric of the league. You can't tell the story of the NBA without us! Unlike so many irrelevant franchises.

IF one believed in conspiracy theories one could argue NOW is the perfect time to gift us a top 3 pick:

African American GM
African American Coach
Unsung & underrated Grant
"Core 4" rookies

Gift wrapping us Cade or Green could be huge and a MAX free agent signing in 2022 after some Lottery "luck" could catapult our franchise back to prominence at the "right" time

DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#498 » by DetroitSho » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:02 pm

sfballa13 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
sfballa13 wrote:

If you really believed what you said you'd stop watching.

Just FFS, where do they want stars?

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#499 » by MotownMadness » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:12 pm

if this draft didn't have such a good looking top 5 I would probably quit worrying so much.

Like I'm not even trying to waste a whole season in the future tanking for 1 guy at the top with these new lottery odds.

I don't even think Hinkie would go such full force for so long if he was doing it under this new system.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#500 » by Snakebites » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:25 pm

Pharaoh wrote:To be fair it's not hard to understand why many here feel we are destined to pick 5th or 6th or later.

The organisation hasn't exactly been blessed with luck in the Lottery whenever we have missed the playoffs.

That's also a reason why tanking for draft picks alone has never been a good way to build a team.

As much **** as Hinkie gets for going full Hinkie he did manage to find quality role players outside of the Draft - they just didn't keep them!

RoCo, TJ, Holmes are just 3 I know the Sixers got from nowhere....

That said the Draft is not the be all, end all of team building. Trades and free agency matter as well

It’s not hard to understand, but it’s wrong.

It’s totally possible it happens. But this board has gotten too fatalistic for my taste.

Return to Detroit Pistons