Luka Doncic Says He Doesn't 'See The Point' Of Play-In Game

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Luka Doncic Says He Doesn't 'See The Point' Of Play-In Game 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:00 am

Luka Doncic said he doesn't "see the point" of the play-in game, adding that the concept undermines an entire season's work.

"I don't understand the idea of a play-in. You play 72 games to get into the playoffs, then maybe you lose two in a row and you're out of the playoffs. So I don't see the point of that," said Doncic.

The Mavs, who lost to the Sixers on Monday night, are currently in seventh place in the Western Conference. They would play the Grizzlies should the season end today.

Doncic added that his goal is to not have to deal with the play-in game in the first place.

"We're just trying to get to the sixth spot. I think that's our goal right now. Maybe even [higher] than the sixth spot."

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Re: Luka Doncic Says He Doesn't 'See The Point' Of Play-In Game 

Post#2 » by hyberx » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:03 am

You also only lose 4 games to be out of the playoff altogether, Luka. That's the point.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#3 » by jozef » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:09 am

hyberx wrote:You also only lose 4 games to be out of the playoff altogether, Luka. That's the point.

There is a difference between 2 and 4 games.

Luka is right. It's a BS marketing. Same as LeBron vs Giannis teams instead of East vs West. I hate it.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#4 » by Revived » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:29 am

I agree with Luka, it’s dumb. It basically puts the eventual 7th and 8th seed teams at a huge disadvantage as they will now be tired and exhausted before having to play vs 1st seed in a series of 7.

Right now it’s 7-10. What’s to stop Silver from saying 7-12 next season? Then just keep adding teams until basically every team in the league participates in the play-in even the worst record. And if that worst record team happens to have a lucky 2 game stretch then they move on and team with good record is eliminated.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,191

Post#5 » by kenwood3333 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:19 pm

The whole idea is to allow Zion a better chance to get into the playoff. Once the Pel is a solid playoff team, this play in game concept will likely be dropped.
Jay240
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#6 » by Jay240 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:27 pm

He pretty much answered his own question.

He doesn't see the point of it and then goes on to say they're trying to go for the sixth spot. All the teams should be going for the sixth spot.
Willie_WFT
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Willie_WFT » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:26 am

Doncic is absolutely right. The play in series kind of made sense last year with COVID and how bumched up teams were.

I don't see the point in putting players through hell for72 games and then having such a series.

The wear and tear and overexposure of the game is already way too much even at 72 games.

We do not need 8 games on TV/Streaming every night.

We do not need to constantly hear these rank idiot announcers repeating the same info and observations time after time.

Ask Jamal Murray, Lebron, AD, Chris Paul, Curry and many others.

Return to Wiretap Discussion