GSW/CHI Offseason Trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bimbo_Coles
Pro Prospect
And1: 26

GSW/CHI Offseason Trade 

Post#1 » by Bimbo_Coles » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:06 pm

Warriors Trade:
Resigned Kelly Oubre

Bulls Trade:
Sato
Thad Young

Bulls get another young piece to add to their core. Warriors maintain the salary slot, and add a couple vets who would help them
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Re: GSW/CHI Offseason Trade 

Post#2 » by FNQ » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:08 pm

Bimbo_Coles wrote:Warriors Trade:
Resigned Kelly Oubre

Bulls Trade:
Sato
Thad Young

Bulls get another young piece to add to their core. Warriors maintain the salary slot, and add a couple vets who would help them

Sure, but that means Oubre is bringing in around 20m next season as a starting salary. Best of luck with that, Bulls!
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,478

Post#3 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:18 pm

Don’t think Chicago would sign Kelly to a contract big enough to match the money needed here.

Assume OP has Chicago acting as a team over the cap, so it could be like

Looney, two min contracts for Sato
Thad for Oubre

That seems legal and saves GSW Looney contract?
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#4 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:38 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Don’t think Chicago would sign Kelly to a contract big enough to match the money needed here.

Thad for Oubre

Speaking for myself, I don't think there's any sense of urgency with trading Looney or getting out of his contract. He's still our best non-Draymond option at C. He's still an incredible defensive center, albeit a limited rim protector, and he fits seamlessly into our offense. In the playoffs this year or the next, unless you want to go 48 minutes with Draymond at C, you need another solid defensive big to soak up minutes. That's Looney.
Bimbo_Coles
Pro Prospect
And1: 26

Post#5 » by Bimbo_Coles » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:54 pm

There are some options to make this work depending on Oubres final salary. Could add Looney. Or perhaps better, swap Sato with Coby White if the bulls would do that.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#6 » by ChettheJet » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:10 pm

Very early in the season this might have been considered. But now have you seen how Satoransky is starting, have you seen the difference Young made off the bench and now that he's starting? ahead of Markkanen? The Bulls don't have a FRP this year so a deal for Oubre would be their only move during the off season. Face it, he's not to the level of being so potentially game changing that getting him is the one move the Bulls choose to make.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,794

Post#7 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:44 pm

Why are the Bulls trading the 2 best players here and then overpaying the worst player?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:25 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Don’t think Chicago would sign Kelly to a contract big enough to match the money needed here.

Thad for Oubre

Speaking for myself, I don't think there's any sense of urgency with trading Looney or getting out of his contract. He's still our best non-Draymond option at C. He's still an incredible defensive center, albeit a limited rim protector, and he fits seamlessly into our offense. In the playoffs this year or the next, unless you want to go 48 minutes with Draymond at C, you need another solid defensive big to soak up minutes. That's Looney.

Urgency might be the wrong word, but if you added Thad Young and were keeping Wiseman/Draymond, paying the real money cost to have Looney versus not having Looney feels like a real bad piece of business.

Plus trying to make the deal more palatable for Chicago feels worthwhile too.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,478

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:30 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:

Thad for Oubre

Did you cut Wiseman?

Think you could replace Looney with someone making the min or a similar (but cheaper) 3 mil contract..

The problem of the OP is Chicago would have to pay Oubre 20-21 mil in order to send Sato and Thad. And I really love Sato/Thad fit on the Warriors. And don’t hate Oubre to the Bulls on a cheaper contract.

But maybe you’d rather pay Oubre or look for a different sign and trade option.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#10 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:38 am

jayjaysee wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

Thad for Oubre

Did you cut Wiseman?

Think you could replace Looney with someone making the min or a similar (but cheaper) 3 mil contract..

The problem of the OP is Chicago would have to pay Oubre 20-21 mil in order to send Sato and Thad. And I really love Sato/Thad fit on the Warriors. And don’t hate Oubre to the Bulls on a cheaper contract.

But maybe you’d rather pay Oubre or look for a different sign and trade option.

Wiseman is a defensive minus right now. Probably will be bad in the playoffs this year and the next. I really don't think many people outside of Warriors fans understand how good Looney is on D, especially in the playoffs where switching onto small guards is hugely important. I don't think there's someone available for less than $5 million that can give what he does on that end of the court.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#11 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:23 pm

Oubre just doesnt sound like an enticing get for anyone. I realize Chi isnt giving up anything special, in fact guys who can be considered overpaid, but they're better than Oubre
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#12 » by FNQ » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Oubre just doesnt sound like an enticing get for anyone. I realize Chi isnt giving up anything special, in fact guys who can be considered overpaid, but they're better than Oubre

I'm a very outspoken Oubre critic but I have to say, its a lot due to his fit with the team. On a team where the offense/defense are more isolation/man to man respectively, I think he'd be a much better player. He struggles with spacing concepts, with shot selection, and with defensive rotations. If you can minimize those 3 things for him, you have a very toolsy player who's pretty fearless (to the point of self-recklessness) when it comes to finishing and defending at the rim.

I'd really like the guy if our team could accommodate him, but we can't. If he were on a team like the Nets for example, he'd be getting the Otto Porter special in free agency

Return to Trades and Transactions