ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Sixers (7:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Sixers (7:30PM EST) 

Post#61 » by Bob8 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:36 pm

taikibansei wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
taikibansei wrote:
I find these posts especially ironic given that Embiid has also been injured/resting more than 1/3 of this season. Indeed, Embiid had just returned from his own break...for the month of March. Was Embiid ducking all those centers then?

Bigs who are active on both ends of the court--like Embiid and AD and KP (and the now-injured Wiseman), etc.--are almost always injury-prone. The human body is just not meant to be that big and that active for so long, and time management is really the only way to deal with this. However, as we saw yesterday, having that big be healthy for a key game can be devastating...to the opposing team.

The Mavs can and do compete with the best when both Luka and KP play. What they need are consistent third and fourth options for when KP is out and/or when Luka needs a rest. Right now, the Mavs win whenever Brunson, Hardaway, DFS, etc. have a good game too. The problem is that you can't count on these latter players to have good (or even okay) games. In my opinion, they either need to become more dependable, or they need to be replaced.

Embiid is back 10 days and is already playing back2backs, KP is back 3 months and has played 1 back2back in that time. And I have never seen KP being that dominant that Embiid was yesterday. No problem for waiting for a player, who is dominant from the first second in the court after injury.

I understand injuries happens, but what's the point having max. player, who cannot normally play even 3 months after return? You cannot lose 10 back2backs just because your star is resting. He has played 17 matches in 2 months, what kind of rest he needs?

Thanks for the chuckle! :lol:

1) Embiid and KP have played in basically the same amount of games this season. (36-34)

2) Over his career, Embiid has been a poster child for managed minutes, playing in less than 20% of the games in his 7-year career. Heck, KP looks like an iron man compared to Embiid--having played in thirty more games total (in just 6 years).

3) You've never seen KP being that dominant?--again, hilarious stuff. :lol: I'd argue that KP, despite being a distant second option, has put up better numbers multiple times this season--e.g., 2021-02-08 vs. Minnesota, 2021-02-12 vs. NOP, 2021-03-10 vs. SAS, 2021-03-26 vs. IND, 2021-04-08 vs. MIL, etc. These games showcase some of the best production by a starting center this season--and again KP, unlike Embiid, is coming back from a major knee injury and is a distant second option.

4) Finally, yes, Embiid (when he plays) is the better player. Still, fun fact: Between March 11 and April 1, the 76ers played 11 games without Embiid...and won eight (8) of them for a .727 winning percentage. :o The Mavs without KP are at .500 for the season.....

Indeed, that final comment underlines the main point of my initial post to this thread--the problem isn't Luka or KP, it's that you don't have any consistency from your 3rd, 4th and 5th options. Good teams still win over the short term without their best players; the Mavs aren't there yet, and the problem is the rest of that roster.

Embiid more or less didn't play first 3 seasons, that's why you have numbers like that.

I'm not talking about stats, but total domination, Embiid could have easily beat Mavs alone. He played only 25 minutes for 37 points and 15 FTs. He could have scored 50+ easily, if it was needed. Mavs couldn't do anything against him.

One of the reasons for not having better roster is that they're invested 3 first round picks in Luka and KP. So expectations for them should be high. And to meet expectations you first should play, especially if you're not injured. I believe Luka need rest desperately too. Why we're not resting both? Why should Luka risk his health?

Philly might have option to play without Embiid, Mavs cannot with that roster, if they want something more than 7th place.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#62 » by Black Mage » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:16 pm

Bluelabel24 wrote:god this sixers defense is really impressive.. their pnr/pnp defense is probably the best in the league
wonder who's in charge of that Sam Cassell or Dave Joerger

Dan Burke.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#63 » by agentofatlas » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:15 am

Heezzi wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
Archx wrote:
Mavs are such an enigma. They can beat the best team in the league and make it look easy while doing it and the next game they'll look like they would struggle against G-league team. I say this all the time, no consistency and no variety in their game. Too much reliance on long range game purely because of the reasons you mentioned. Houston with Harden played similary and after a period of time he had enough and ran away.
I hope they can re-construct this roster and Rick draws up a different system for the next year. But for now, hopefully Mavs will be able to find their rhythm in the playoffs to at least do some damage.

When it comes to a playoff spot, to make matters even worse, apparently Lakers are getting AD and LBJ back right when Mavs play them twice in a row.

I don't think the Mavs are an enigma. The reason the Mavs shoot a ton of threes cause it's a way for them to bridge the talent gap vs other teams (playoff teams to be exact).

Morey mentioned this before when he was in Houston. He and the Rockets played the same way cause they felt that it was the only way for them to beat the Durant-Curry Warriors and kudos to them they almost did it. But of course game 7 happened, and the three ball abandoned them.

Anyways, the future is up to the FO now. Luka's sophomore campaign really accelerated the teams timeline and I'm curios to see how the FO will build around him. Hopefully they become more aggressive this offseason and don't go all "plan powder" on us.

They also had Chris Paul on the team. Where is the Chris Paul for the Mavs?

They played like that even before CP3. It's the reason they had that prolonged success. CP3 coming aboard put them on the next level.

As for who our CP3 is, well a lot of the people are advocating for Lowry, Conley or even Ball this offseason cause Jalen is not the answer. And I see their point, having that secondary playmaker just unlocks so much and may stabilize the offense. Giving RC more playmakers usually ends up being a good thing for the Mavs.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#64 » by leolozon » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:02 am

Bob8 wrote:
One of the reasons for not having better roster is that they're invested 3 first round picks in Luka and KP. So expectations for them should be high.

You mean 4. 2 for Luka and 2 for KP. You have to count the 2018 5th.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#65 » by Bob8 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:09 am

leolozon wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
One of the reasons for not having better roster is that they're invested 3 first round picks in Luka and KP. So expectations for them should be high.

You mean 4. 2 for Luka and 2 for KP. You have to count the 2018 5th.

I meant 3 additional to get what they really want.

Return to Dallas Mavericks