Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Re: Cam Payne news and highlights 

Post#81 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 7:21 pm

Saberestar wrote:
RedIndian wrote:Nice little return to form there. He'd been struggling for a while.

How much does one view him as worth in FA now? Personally, after seeing Jevon Carter's regression this year, I'd be hesitant to do more than 3 year/18 million for Payne.

He's a good, scrappy change of pace bench PG, but anything more than 6 million a year would be an overpay given that he only plays 16-18 mins a game.

The major piece to add in next year's draft or free agency (through the BAE perhaps) is an upgrade on the Moore / Galloway / Carter positions. Now all those guys have their virtues, but none have consistently shown what we need from that combo guard spot. If we added a Clarkson or Dinwiddie type player in that position, I really think that'd elevate us into contenders.

The draft has an interesting bunch of players in that mould we could target with our pick - Jared Butler, David Duke, Miles McBridge, Davion Mitchell, Chris Duarte, Josh Alexander.

I wouldn't pay him that much.

I think that $12M/3 years would be enough to keep him.

Seems like earlier people were saying like $27/3.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#82 » by Saberestar » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:53 pm

Saberestar
RealGM

Post#83 » by Saberestar » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:25 am

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#84 » by Saberestar » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:00 am

In his last three games Cam Payne averages:

13 points, 6 assists, 2.7 rebounds and 0.3 TOs, shooting 7/13 from three.

All of that in 22 mpg and his defense has been pretty good too.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#85 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:55 pm

Saberestar wrote:In his last three games Cam Payne averages:

20/1 ast/to ratio not bad.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#86 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Really an underappreciated part of his game since he's joined the Suns. He just doesn't turn the ball over.

I think we've reached a large enough sample size to say Payne is officially a good backup PG. Hell of a career turnaround.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#87 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:37 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Really an underappreciated part of his game since he's joined the Suns. He just doesn't turn the ball over.

I think we've reached a large enough sample size to say Payne is officially a good backup PG. Hell of a career turnaround.

Yeah, between Paul, Payne and Bridges, we are really solid there...if only Book could cut his in half. Ayton is up and down..good passer but mishandles...some due to bad passes, though the majority of those are credited to the bad pass as they should be.

But for a few games, everyone had turnovers for whatever reason. Maybe with the Clips...they are great at forcing them with their length and tenacity...I remember George getting like 5 steals against Dallas last year. Worried about facing them in playoffs.

I think it will be tough to avoid both LA teams until the WCF. That requires us to get 2 or 3 and them both 4/5 OR us in 1, 4 or 5 and them in 2 or 3 and 6 or 7. Not sure which is more likely.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#88 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:47 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah, between Paul, Payne and Bridges, we are really solid there...if only Book could cut his in half. Ayton is up and down..good passer but mishandles...some due to bad passes, though the majority of those are credited to the bad pass as they should be.

But for a few games, everyone had turnovers for whatever reason. Maybe with the Clips...they are great at forcing them with their length and tenacity...I remember George getting like 5 steals against Dallas last year. Worried about facing them in playoffs.

I think it will be tough to avoid both LA teams until the WCF. That requires us to get 2 or 3 and them both 4/5 OR us in 1, 4 or 5 and them in 2 or 3 and 6 or 7. Not sure which is more likely.
Yeah Booker is definitely the main culprit. Suns are 5th in the league for least TOs per game so it's definitely a strength. Part of a more general theme of them being a disciplined team that doesn't give games away.

It's funny this current suns team is basically the antithesis of past suns teams in every way. Good defense being the most shocking thing since that wasn't a strength even when they were good (although should be noted those SSOL were average defensively even though people thought they were bad)

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#89 » by Fo-Real » Sat May 1, 2021 2:38 pm

We are gonna have to offer this dude some money!!! Other teams are taking notice and are planning on bidding for him this off-season!! Hell, he may be playing himself out if our budget!! Let's hope for an appreciative for a second chance discount!!!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#90 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 14, 2021 6:23 pm

From Zach Lowe's "Luke Walton All Star Team" (Players excelling in their roles)

Cameron Payne, Phoenix Suns
Payne and his girlfriend dragged six suitcases on the long walk across the border from Hong Kong to China in the fall 2019, just after Payne had signed to play with the Shanxi Loongs in the Chinese Basketball Association.

The walk was at least half a mile, Payne estimates. When they got to their hotel room, they discovered their bags could not fit in it.

"This is why you can't take nothing for granted in the NBA," Payne says. "Appreciate the little things. They can be gone quick." Payne played two games in China before calling his agent, Jason Glushon, and announcing he was coming home. "I'll play in the G League," Payne told Glushon.

The Chicago Bulls had cut Payne in Jan. 2019, two years after landing him in exchange for Doug McDermott, Taj Gibson, and a second-round pick. Payne was sleeping when his agent broke the news. He spent the day in bed. "I was salty," he says.

The Cleveland Cavaliers let him walk after two 10-day contracts. Payne was out of the NBA. Glushon persuaded Payne to play in the next Summer League -- Payne's third stint after the Oklahoma City Thunder selected him No. 14 in 2015. "I did not want to do that again," Payne says. "But if this is our last go-round, let's dig in and finish it."

Payne averaged 24 points and eight assists for the Legends before the coronavirus shut down sports. As the NBA's restart approached, the Mavericks called with bad news: they were going with Trey Burke over Payne.

"That's gonna be it for me," Payne recalls thinking.

But a second call had come to his agent: How did Payne feel about Monty Williams, the Phoenix Suns' head coach who had gotten to know Payne during his time as an assistant in Oklahoma City? What did Payne think about maybe signing with the Suns?

"What do you think I think?" Payne remembers joking.

During a presigning call, Williams asked Payne if he remembered a conversation at the Thunder's practice facility during Payne's rookie season. It was early in the morning, but Russell Westbrook was already working out. "How bad do you want to play?" Williams asked Payne then. "Beat him to the gym. That's how you stick."

"I listened, but I was young," Payne says. "I didn't put it all in perspective." On the call, Payne assured Williams he was ready for Phoenix.

Payne had no idea if he would play outside garbage time. In the first game, Williams subbed in Payne halfway through the first quarter.

"It's been that six-minute mark ever since," Payne says.

Payne is averaging 8 points and 3.5 assists on 48% shooting -- including 43% from deep. The Suns have outscored opponents by 7.3 points per 100 possessions with Payne on the floor.

He thinks back to that walk to China -- and to one of the first calls he received upon landing in Hong Kong. Sam Presti, the Thunder GM who drafted Payne, had heard about Payne signing in China and called to encourage him. "I'm gonna be paying attention," Presti told him. "You'll find your way back."

He's back -- but not quite all the way. "Not until I sign that next deal," Payne says.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#91 » by lilfishi22 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 pm

Cam Payne's story is a great one. I'll ashamedly admit I was one of the many who thought the guy was one of the worst players in the league when I saw him play. For him to come all the way from the bottom to basically becoming the 6th man on one of the best teams in the league is a estimate to his resolve, his hard work and his focus.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#92 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri May 14, 2021 11:09 pm

Read on Twitter

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#93 » by lilfishi22 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:44 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Great article! Love the kid
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#94 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat May 15, 2021 12:13 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

For sure, like you said earlier it's such a good story.

From pretty much the minute he started playing for the suns I was impressed with how hard he played. He also plays with an aggression, basically 'if this is my last chance I'm going out swinging' mentality.

I really hope they resign him this summer. As crazy as it would have been to say this a year ago he might be the future starting PG.

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#95 » by bwgood77 » Sat May 15, 2021 2:00 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

For sure, like you said earlier it's such a good story.

From pretty much the minute he started playing for the suns I was impressed with how hard he played. He also plays with an aggression, basically 'if this is my last chance I'm going out swinging' mentality.

I really hope they resign him this summer. As crazy as it would have been to say this a year ago he might be the future starting PG.

Yeah, I read this in my email right after posting Zach Lowe's stuff. This was obviously more extensive and better. David Kevin really good at the analysis.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#96 » by Saberestar » Tue Aug 3, 2021 9:54 pm

Read on Twitter
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,203

Post#97 » by King4Day » Fri Aug 6, 2021 8:00 pm

Read on Twitter
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#98 » by Saberestar » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:19 pm

Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#99 » by bwgood77 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:42 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is what I kept saying. Given his past, experience with other teams, the chance he was given with Phoenix, the camaraderie and culture on the team, I didn't think it would really be about money at all. $20 million is a lot regardless, and having a job you enjoy is more important than more money, given my experience. I took a position where I made 60% less where I am far happier and enjoy life to a much greater extent. Culture, coaching, work associates, etc...is a BIG thing in my book.

Everyone always thinks it's about money, and I guess to many or most people it is, and I think that plays more of a role when you are younger, but it is also easier to understand that money isn't as important as simply enjoying what you do, and a guy like Payne probably went through a lot of pain in his experiences in Chicago, Toronto and overseas.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#100 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:03 pm

Wonder how much he gave up?

He'll be 29 or 30 when his contract is up so he really gave up his pay day to remain with us.

Return to Phoenix Suns