Gregg Popovich Suggests Scrutinizing Political Donations Of NBA Owners

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Gregg Popovich Suggests Scrutinizing Political Donations Of NBA Owners 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:19 pm

Gregg Popovich has become outspoken about politics over the past few years and his most recent comments suggested that any NBA owners who donate to far right candidates should be scrutinized. 

“We need to find out who funds these people,” Popovich said at the end of a long Monday Zoom monologue about the Minnesota police shooting of Daunte Wright, and about the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol riots, and about state officials’ response to February power outages in Texas, and about what he called the false claims of election fraud associated with voter suppression efforts.

“I want to know what owners in the NBA fund these people who perpetrate these lies. Maybe that’s a good place to start, so it’s all transparent. That’s all I got.”

According to an online database maintained by the nonprofit, nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, former Spurs chairwoman Julianna Hawn Holt has made multiple donations to Trump’s campaigns, including in 2020, when she also contributed to Republican Georgia U.S. Senate candidates Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue.

Since 2015, the Holt family donated $1.42 million to Republican candidates and political action committees, per The Ringer. Orlando’s Dan DeVos, Cleveland’s Dan Gilbert and New York’s James Dolan each donated more to the GOP.

“Do these people want a country or not?” Popovich said. “Do these people have grandchildren? Do they want their grandchildren to go to work and school and go through these drills and worry about being murdered? What does it take to care more about them than your frickin’ position, and your power, and your donors?”

Via Mike Finger/San Antonio Express-News

elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 78

Re: Gregg Popovich Suggests Scrutinizing Political Donations Of NBA Owners 

Post#2 » by elmdawgg69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:55 pm

This is one of the dumbest pieces of political commentary I’ve read. All the **** Pop is whining about is in Democrat-run cities - ultra liberal Mayors and Congresspeople. The red cities are doing just fine with a lack of crime and racial incidents. Yet all Democrats want to do is blame Republicans for the problems in their own cities. I thought all problems would be fixed with Trump gone, and the Democrats in full control of the White House and Congress? No, just keep absolving blame - now on the NBA owners.
alphatron10
Senior
And1: 366

Post#3 » by alphatron10 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:04 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:This is one of the dumbest pieces of political commentary I’ve read. All the **** Pop is whining about is in Democrat-run cities - ultra liberal Mayors and Congresspeople. The red cities are doing just fine with a lack of crime and racial incidents. Yet all Democrats want to do is blame Republicans for the problems in their own cities. I thought all problems would be fixed with Trump gone, and the Democrats in full control of the White House and Congress? No, just keep absolving blame - now on the NBA owners.

That clip of Pop was just unhinged lol. You can honestly tell he's mad about being white and that he thinks him virtue signaling will make the "systemic racism" stop. Also they criticize you if you group all Dems together, but demonize all Republicans because "They don't support things that we virtue signal about." Also I love that Trump is still rent-free in all their heads. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the NBA fined owners for supporting Republicans with all the kowtowing they've done to Dem causes since Daryl Morey's tweet.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#4 » by alienpick » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:11 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:This is one of the dumbest pieces of political commentary I’ve read. All the **** Pop is whining about is in Democrat-run cities - ultra liberal Mayors and Congresspeople. The red cities are doing just fine with a lack of crime and racial incidents. Yet all Democrats want to do is blame Republicans for the problems in their own cities. I thought all problems would be fixed with Trump gone, and the Democrats in full control of the White House and Congress? No, just keep absolving blame - now on the NBA owners.

Agreed. I don't lean right wing, but the willful suppression of diversity of thought, ideas, and discourse that Pop is suggesting is very scary. Leftists like to rag on China for its suppression of its people, especially when it's people have different political views; yet here's Pop suggesting doing that very thing. *facepalm*

I lost all respect for Pop today. He sounds like he's lost his mind.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,203

Post#5 » by Mark_83 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:18 pm

alienpick wrote:

Agreed. I don't lean right wing, but the willful suppression of diversity of thought, ideas, and discourse that Pop is suggesting is very scary. Leftists like to rag on China for its suppression of its people, especially when it's people have different political views; yet here's Pop suggesting doing that very thing. *facepalm*

I lost all respect for Pop today. He sounds like he's lost his mind.

Pop is like a political mullet, Liberal on the front, Authoritarian in the back.

Just look at how he coaches his teams. He's a veritable dictator with an emphasis on dic.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,285

Post#6 » by Lunartic » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:19 pm

Complete and utter ridiculousness from a radical moron
The vast majority of high crime cities are democrat controlled. Even in Red states, Dem cities are the most violent. Miami is a good example. How does he square cities like Chicago having some of the most draconian restrictive gun laws having some of the most homicides?
How about he "scrutinizes" himself as to why he's silent concerning the police shootings of white people? Seems like he only has a statement to make when it's a white officer shooting a black person. He's a race-baiting propagandist that likes to make statements about only a certain demographic for good-boy points with leftist media.

He was a marvelous coach but he needs to shutup and tell Demar DeRozan to dribble.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,203

Post#7 » by Mark_83 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:31 pm

Pop is such a virtue-signalling phony. There's nothing brave about what he's espousing, he's literally pandering to the masses based on willful ignorance. Where was he when people were telling Daryl Morey to shut up about Hong Kong? If he were really principled he would have taken a stand then too, not just when it's convenient.

I'm a liberal but being from Canada I'm not a partisan Democrat so I think I can be objective in this. Why would he target Republican politicians when the majority of these shootings are happening in Democrat controlled cities? The majority of these attacks on Asians are in Democrat controlled cities.

Republican Senator Tim Scott (a black man) put forward a police reform bill last year that gave the Democrats 10 amendments they could make to the bill. The Democrats refused to push it forward, saying they wanted to do it when they had control of congress because it didn't do enough. Now they have control of all three branches and they've still proposed nothing to address the issue.

Pop is a smart guy so I have to imagine he knows this and is choosing to deliberately spout divisive, partisan propaganda. I have no respect for this ****.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#8 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 pm

I mean this sounds just like Hollywood back in the 40s and 50s with the red scare. Hey lets make it known who all the actors, directors, producers, and screenwriters who are Communist or Communist sympathizers and shame them and keep them from working in Hollywood.

It sounds like Pop is saying lets do that now in sports, but just flip it where now if youre a conservative or a conservative sympathizer lets make it known and shame you.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#9 » by Elnegron » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:41 pm

Mark_83 wrote:Pop is such a virtue-signalling phony. There's nothing brave about what he's espousing, he's literally pandering to the masses based on willful ignorance. Where was he when people were telling Daryl Morey to shut up about Hong Kong? If he were really principled he would have taken a stand then too, not just when it's convenient.

I'm a liberal but being from Canada I'm not a partisan Democrat so I think I can be objective in this. Why would he target Republican politicians when the majority of these shootings are happening in Democrat controlled cities? The majority of these attacks on Asians are in Democrat controlled cities.

Republican Senator Tim Scott (a black man) put forward a police reform bill last year that gave the Democrats 10 amendments they could make to the bill. The Democrats refused to push it forward, saying they wanted to do it when they had control of congress because it didn't do enough. Now they have control of all three branches and they've still proposed nothing to address the issue.

Pop is a smart guy so I have to imagine he knows this and is choosing to deliberately spout divisive, partisan propaganda. I have no respect for this ****.

Couldn't agree more. If spurs owner gave trump money, is he going to return all the money he has taken from him?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#10 » by MotownMadness » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:46 pm

Lunatic
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#11 » by MotownMadness » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:24 pm

Elnegron wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:Pop is such a virtue-signalling phony. There's nothing brave about what he's espousing, he's literally pandering to the masses based on willful ignorance. Where was he when people were telling Daryl Morey to shut up about Hong Kong? If he were really principled he would have taken a stand then too, not just when it's convenient.

Couldn't agree more. If spurs owner gave trump money, is he going to return all the money he has taken from him?

I wish someone in the media would legit throw that question at him considering his ownership did donate to the Trump campaign.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#12 » by TinmanZBoy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:36 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Elnegron wrote:

I wish someone in the media would legit throw that question at him considering his ownership did donate to the Trump campaign.
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#13 » by BarbaGrizz » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:44 pm

That´s not fascist at all...
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,956

Post#14 » by ejftw » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:01 pm

I would absolutely want my grandchildren to grow up in a Democrat dystopia like San Francisco, where heroin needles and human feces line streets, where racism is okay as long as it's against white people or like New York where ILLEGALS are getting more help from the government than citizens.

Him, Kerr and SVG need to have a nice cup of STFU
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,145

Post#15 » by druggas » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:02 pm

Popovich should worry more about keeping his job now that he doesn't have Duncan, who he rode for 20 years.

He's such a POS.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,723

Post#16 » by the_process » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:14 pm

This is an angry, bitter, alone old man virtue signaling at clouds.

Just ******* retire already.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#17 » by hyberx » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:15 pm

This guy in the photo is way too white. Fire him for diversity already!
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,312

Post#18 » by CIN-C-STAR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:32 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I mean this sounds just like Hollywood back in the 40s and 50s with the red scare. Hey lets make it known who all the actors, directors, producers, and screenwriters who are Communist or Communist sympathizers and shame them and keep them from working in Hollywood.

It sounds like Pop is saying lets do that now in sports, but just flip it where now if youre a conservative or a conservative sympathizer lets make it known and shame you.

As long as sports owners keep their hand out for public financing, as they've done for decades now to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars, scrutinizing their political donations is absolutely fair game and your comparison is apples to oranges imo.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#19 » by JN61 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:34 pm

This only of course matters to him if someone of differing political view than him does this... As is to these type of people... Be it what side of isle.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#20 » by anatomicbomb » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:37 pm

Wow, this article clearly struck a nerve with a certain crowd.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.

Return to Wiretap Discussion