ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,904

RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:39 pm

Puttting it simple: This is personal. Game of the season.
60/21/10
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Re: RS 20/21 - Knicks @ Mavs (Friday, 9:30PM EST) 

Post#2 » by daoneandonly » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:15 pm

Let's hope, but the play in format makes it still plausible for the Knicks, which sucks for us. Hopefully Dallas can take this one seriously and win, and one of J Rich or Maxi can decide its time to earn a paycheck and not just have fun out there.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Well we are likely to play Memphis again in the play in game, so let’s hope for a better showing than last night otherwise that pick might not be garbage after all. All games are crucial must-wins going forward so let’s hope KP drops 40 on them and we get more Luka Magic.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#4 » by Bob8 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:35 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Well we are likely to play Memphis again in the play in game, so let’s hope for a better showing than last night otherwise that pick might not be garbage after all. All games are crucial must-wins going forward so let’s hope KP drops 40 on them and we get more Luka Magic.

Based on that, http://www.tankathon.com/remaining_schedule_strength, Mavs would really need to **** and Blazers have to have amazing finish for Mavs not to be 6th.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#5 » by dirkforpres » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:38 pm

Bob8 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Well we are likely to play Memphis again in the play in game, so let’s hope for a better showing than last night otherwise that pick might not be garbage after all. All games are crucial must-wins going forward so let’s hope KP drops 40 on them and we get more Luka Magic.

Based on that, http://www.tankathon.com/remaining_schedule_strength, Mavs would really need to **** and Blazers have to have amazing finish for Mavs not to be 6th.

Yeah you think that, but then the Mavs go and lay an egg against beatable teams like the Rockets. I hope you’re right though. Mavs-Clips R1 is the matchup
FIRE JASON KIDD
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by Dirk » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:03 pm

The Mavs/Knicks game weeks back was terrible. Randle in particular was brutal and a major factor in the Mavs winning... and you imagine he'll be much better back in his hometown.

The Knicks also just seem to beat the Mavs more often than they should in recent years and they're on a 4 game win streak as well.

So all jokes aside... this likely will be a tough game.

Hoping that KP finally has a great revenge performance in a W.
60/21/10
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#7 » by daoneandonly » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:05 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Yeah you think that, but then the Mavs go and lay an egg against beatable teams like the Rockets. I hope you’re right though. Mavs-Clips R1 is the matchup

yeah the ideal is getting 6th, regardless of the opponent. i dont think we can beat any of utah, phx, or the la teams. I dont mind losing to utah between the 4, and think if we can upset any, its the suns
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#8 » by BlueSan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:51 pm

Knicks will play hard, will Dallas?
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#9 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:14 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Let's hope, but the play in format makes it still plausible for the Knicks, which sucks for us. Hopefully Dallas can take this one seriously and win, and one of J Rich or Maxi can decide its time to earn a paycheck and not just have fun out there.

The Knicks are in a playoff spot in the East currently and are gunning for #4-#6 seed. There's not much to do with the playins for them.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#10 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:33 pm

Bob8 wrote:

Interesting point, but I don't think that strength of schedule metric is very useful.

I haven't done the West, but I did look at the teams in the East who are in the#4-#10 region currently. What, imo, you really have for them, and, ok it might not transfer to the West because the level of the playins teams is higher, but anyway, what you have for them is three baskets of games.

One is against the top teams. And it doesn't matter if it's the Jazz or the Lakers with AD back. Those are all just expected losses. The weight of the Jazz's better season record really isn't relevant at this point.

Then there are the bad teams. And it doesn't matter if OKC has Poku suited up or not, or you play the worst record in the league. Those are all expected wins and, again, the season record weights really don't reflect the situation, espcially with tanking being a thing.

And, finally, there are the middling teams, and the games against them will be influential.

Now, of course teams will win games they should not and lose games they should not, but that's probably a wash unless some team falls off a cliff. Maybe season ending injury to Julius Randle, for example.

So, for me, a better strength of schedule stat is to estimate those three baskets for each team.

Doing that, eg, gives the Celtics a tougher run in than the tankathon stat you linked.

Now. Does the same apply in the West? I don't know, but I'll take a look when I'm at a computer later. :D
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,339

Post#11 » by Mavrelous » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:25 pm

Last game their rookie was tearing it, but Thibs benched him, their stars sucked, their defense in the 1st hgalf was fierce

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#12 » by daoneandonly » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:53 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Let's hope, but the play in format makes it still plausible for the Knicks, which sucks for us. Hopefully Dallas can take this one seriously and win, and one of J Rich or Maxi can decide its time to earn a paycheck and not just have fun out there.

The Knicks are in a playoff spot in the East currently and are gunning for #4-#6 seed. There's not much to do with the playins for them.

I meant the Mavs play in. If they lose both play in games, the Knicks have a chance with what should have been the Mavs lottery pick
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#13 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:57 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

I meant the Mavs play in. If they lose both play in games, the Knicks have a chance with what should have been the Mavs lottery pick

Yeah, ok, I didn't read that the way you intended. Apologies.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,596

Post#14 » by Capn'O » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:18 pm

Dirk wrote:Puttting it simple: This is personal. Game of the season.

It's really damned if we do, damned if we don't isn't it???

This should be a good game :dontknow:
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,933

Post#15 » by Archx » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:43 pm

Just hope KP doesn't start like a scared puppy again. It's a home game and he should feel more relaxed. Maxi hasn't been the same since COVID hit him hard, hopefully he will do a good job on Randle again.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#16 » by Dirk » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:27 am

Capn'O wrote:It's really damned if we do, damned if we don't isn't it???

With regards to the Mavs pick. I am just joking... no guarantees that wherever it lands... it won't produce a good player. Being brutally honest: it would suck if any team had the Mavs pick and picked a great player. But in the end... and rationally... it's irrelevant and immaterial. Regardless of the outcome of that pick, I think the KP trade --- even with his injuries --- was okay. I just didn't like the fully guaranteed contract.

On another layer, it is a bit paradoxical, the Knicks have a competent team and will make the playoffs, which will render their own pick a bit more mediocre as well. I have the feeling from what I saw that there isn't a large group of users who cry about this, so seems like everyone is tired of bad teams and meaningless games and accepts having a team in the playoffs without being depressed about not being in the lottery (i.e, the Raptors fans have had a civil war between extreme tankers and fans who are happy with whatever outcome). As we saw with the Nets, having a competitive team and not just a trainwreck, does help attract players.

Noticed this post yesterday on the Chicago board...
Subject: The Around The NBA Thread

user wrote:Thibs played DRose for 28 minutes, Taj for 35 minutes on a 10 point win over Pelicans. Rookie Immanuel Quickley played 11 minutes.

Classic Thibs. :D

We'll have to see if there's growth next season and consolidation next season. And this wasn't just Thibs milking absolutely everything out of these players.
60/21/10
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,596

Post#17 » by Capn'O » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:40 pm

Dirk wrote:With regards to the Mavs pick. I am just joking... no guarantees that wherever it lands... it won't produce a good player. Being brutally honest: it would suck if any team had the Mavs pick and picked a great player. But in the end... and rationally... it's irrelevant and immaterial. Regardless of the outcome of that pick, I think the KP trade --- even with his injuries --- was okay. I just didn't like the fully guaranteed contract.

I think that paying him came with the territory of making the trade. At the end of the day, regardless of whether Durant ever showed direct interest in joining the Knicks, I'm convinced that the Knicks simply didn't want to pay KP. If they had wanted to they would have extended him when Myles Turner, KAT, and Devin Booker got extended. What player is going to be ok with that? He might have said he was but it was clear he wasn't. After trading him, if there was any question about the salary, KP walks... or at least puts up enough of a stink that there's a pall on his signing. I don't blame the Mavs for tamping that down.

From Dallas' perspective, I make the trade. I never really bought into the KP = Superstar narrative but he'll have All Star seasons and that's a bird in hand next to Luka. Not a bad roll of the dice that his health will come together for at least a few of the seasons.

With regards to the pick... maybe the Mavs are not where you'd like to be in the playoff mix but the pick is in the realm of expectations. A lottery pick would have been delicious for us, I won't lie. Around 20, you can't lament the opportunity cost too much. There doesn't seem to be an obvious pick that is projected in that range.

On another layer, it is a bit paradoxical, the Knicks have a competent team and will make the playoffs, which will render their own pick a bit more mediocre as well.

Yup, that was the gag with my gif.

I have the feeling from what I saw that there isn't a large group of users who cry about this, so seems like everyone is tired of bad teams and meaningless games and accepts having a team in the playoffs without being depressed about not being in the lottery (i.e, the Raptors fans have had a civil war between extreme tankers and fans who are happy with whatever outcome). As we saw with the Nets, having a competitive team and not just a trainwreck, does help attract players.

user wrote:Thibs played DRose for 28 minutes, Taj for 35 minutes on a 10 point win over Pelicans. Rookie Immanuel Quickley played 11 minutes.

We'll have to see if there's growth next season and consolidation next season. And this wasn't just Thibs milking absolutely everything out of these players.

Oh he's absolutely milking it. Most of us are just enjoying the games though after years of incoherent play. This group plays good defense no matter who is playing. Even Obi and Knox, which is remarkable for two young players who were specifically renowned for NOT playing good defense. You either get on the bus and learn the defensive schemes or you're out with him. The lack of minutes for some of the young guys lately is disappointing but when they're on the floor you do see progress.

Obi, in particular, likely could have put up some gaudy numbers this season in big minutes while having just atrocious RPM and other indicators of poor impact. But no. He had to figure out how to have a complete game and looked like an absolute train wreck trying to put it together. In the long run, that probably helps his career.

I do think the Knicks will try to consolidate a bit this summer.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#18 » by Pinkyring » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:05 pm

Hopefully we get a win and kp plays well, he really has all NBA talent his biggest problem is his head. He plays way to fast in the post instead of slowing down and taking his time he can get looks over anyone
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#19 » by ducler » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:35 pm

Read on Twitter
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#20 » by BlueSan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:29 pm

Dirk wrote:
Capn'O wrote:It's really damned if we do, damned if we don't isn't it???

With regards to the Mavs pick. I am just joking... no guarantees that wherever it lands... it won't produce a good player. Being brutally honest: it would suck if any team had the Mavs pick and picked a great player. But in the end... and rationally... it's irrelevant and immaterial. Regardless of the outcome of that pick, I think the KP trade --- even with his injuries --- was okay. I just didn't like the fully guaranteed contract.

On another layer, it is a bit paradoxical, the Knicks have a competent team and will make the playoffs, which will render their own pick a bit more mediocre as well. I have the feeling from what I saw that there isn't a large group of users who cry about this, so seems like everyone is tired of bad teams and meaningless games and accepts having a team in the playoffs without being depressed about not being in the lottery (i.e, the Raptors fans have had a civil war between extreme tankers and fans who are happy with whatever outcome). As we saw with the Nets, having a competitive team and not just a trainwreck, does help attract players.

Thibs does 3 things that I see

1. He gives clear assignments
2. He cherishes EFFORT and he despises lack of EFFORT or sticking to ASSIGNMENTS
3. He plays the guys who PERFORM according to plan and play well.

I love that. The development of players is not his job per se. There are other coaches and leagues for that. His job is to win games and play hard. And he does it night in and night out.
If he would be the coach of Dallas. Dončič would either die on the floor, get into shape, played defense, and be an MVP frontrunner, or trainwreck with no energy for the attack.

But whatever the case the entire team would at least try, that is if they would buy-in and not play divas.

Oh and the minute Dončič would twist his ankle or whaterver people would start pointing at his minutes and similar crap

I was surprised we won the last time. Very happy about it. But again I expect a loss. Dallas imo does not play hard enough to mach the Knicks and just a crazy shooting night can save our ass. Imo Knicks are a bad match up for us. (Luckly no Robinson who would ate us alive with boards)

Return to Dallas Mavericks