Image ImageImage Image

Woj: Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Re: Woj: Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol 

Post#121 » by TeamMan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:53 am

Would like to see Brown start.

Hope he gets the chance.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,614

Re: Woj: Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol 

Post#122 » by Betta Bulleavit » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:55 pm

ch434355 wrote:
dice wrote:if any player declines to get vaccinated and ends up missing time in the playoffs because of it, he's gonna look like a real fool

Anyone who declines the vaccine already looks like a fool

Why? The vaccine doesn’t stop you from getting Covid.

Edit: just to clarify, I have not yet been vaccinated and my household is a bit divided on it. I will likely get vaccinated within the next month. But my wife hasn’t come around to it yet and she has damn good reasons. The only fools are those that can’t seem to understand the apprehension of simply falling in line.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,959

Post#123 » by Wingy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:41 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
ch434355 wrote:
dice wrote:if any player declines to get vaccinated and ends up missing time in the playoffs because of it, he's gonna look like a real fool

Edit: just to clarify, I have not yet been vaccinated and my household is a bit divided on it. I will likely get vaccinated within the next month. But my wife hasn’t come around to it yet and she has damn good reasons. The only fools are those that can’t seem to understand the apprehension of simply falling in line.

The point of the vaccine is to prevent the worst outcomes - hospitalization, and death. In the trials, they’ve been at or near 100% effective against that. I don’t think anyone from the scientific community would ever claim it absolutely prevents you from getting it.

There are plenty of stories out there, and on this board about perfectly healthy people dying, or taking months to recover. With the vaccines, some of those extremes go from terrible months to say, a terrible weekend, or a bad day.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#124 » by TheStig » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:37 pm

ch434355 wrote:

I don't want to turn this into a vaccine debate but I don't blame someone for nothing wanting it. It is not a full fledged and vetted vaccine yet. Most of them are using new MRNA structure, hasn't been full vetted for long term side effects (it just came into existence and only has emergency authorization. Not a full FDA clearing like every other vaccine. So with that said, I don't blame a low risk individual for not getting it. Zach is likely one of the least likely people on this earth to have serious issues from Covid.

So I won't call him or any of those guys who turn it down a fool.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#125 » by TheStig » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:41 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
ch434355 wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I have family members who are in the at risk category who got it and 100% agree. I'm not at a high risk and more concerned about possible long term complications that we may not even know about. I will move more into the highly likely to get it category when the kinks get worked out and it moves into a full FDA clearance. Most of these are new types of vaccinations that we've never used before and haven't fully vetted. To me, that's a reason for pause. And it's not like everything goes back to normal, you're still wearing masks everywhere and have the same limitations.
brentmoney
Sophomore
And1: 122

Post#126 » by brentmoney » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:21 pm

your concerns aren't reasonable guys
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach

Post#127 » by Betta Bulleavit » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:52 am

brentmoney wrote:your concerns aren't reasonable guys

I’m not exactly sure of whether or not you were referring to my comment along with others, but I don’t recall stating any specific concerns that would classify as reasonable or unreasonable. I just don’t think that someone that has opted not to get vaccinated is any more (or less) of a fool than someone that has.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#128 » by Stratmaster » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:15 am

Unbelievable. It seems some just want to see people keep getting sick and dying from this crap.

Over 550,000 dead in this country alone.

If you know you're going to get shot at tonight do you refuse to wear a bullet proof vest because it might not keep the bullet from bruising you?

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,539

Post#129 » by dice » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:45 am

Stratmaster wrote:Unbelievable. It seems some just want to see people keep getting sick and dying from this crap.

If you know you're going to get shot at tonight do you refuse to wear a bullet proof vest because it might not keep the bullet from bruising you?

or the vest hasn't yet been proven not to give you a rash...

FDA authorization doesn't mean that long-term side effects have been tested either. sure, we don't know everything yet about the vaccine. but we know way too much about COVID-19

there's a woman i work with who is nearing retirement and has medical issues. one of her sisters has died from COVID and another i believe was hospitalized. she says she will not be getting the vaccine for about a year until she sees what effects it has on people. it's sad, really
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,395

Post#130 » by fleet » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:50 am

It virtually ends the serious illness part, and does a good job preventing illness in general. Is there misinformation being spread? We need to be paranoid about things happening in the future with zero evidence and ignore positive aspects with evidence behind it?
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach

Post#131 » by Betta Bulleavit » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:00 pm

Stratmaster wrote:Unbelievable. It seems some just want to see people keep getting sick and dying from this crap.

So there’s a couple of things here. For one, not everyone buys the COD numbers as it pertains to Covid. And there’s good reason for that. Just because someone dies WITH Covid doesn’t mean they died BECAUSE of it. But those numbers suggest just that. With said, people have died from it. So regardless of the true numbers, we know that much.

As far as your getting shot analogy, I think it’s a poor one. Primarily because you are far more likely to die as a result of a gunshot wound than you are from getting Covid. So we need to go apples to apples here. To suggest that people that are hesitant to get the vaccine “want to see people keep getting sick and dying” is extreme and presents a clear picture of everything that is wrong with this sick culture that we think is so great. Every medical solution has a period of apprehension. In other words, people can be hesitant today but convinced 6 months from now once there is enough data for them to feel comfortable with. My family doesn’t want to see anybody die. We’ve been there and done that. But we do have a right to be conscious about what we put into our bodies and those of our kids.

So again, I will say this. I’m good with anybody that has gotten vaccinated. I applaud it even. I do have a problem with people that have gotten vaccinated and somehow feel that they now have the authority to tell other people what they should and shouldn’t do with their bodies. To that, I say know your role and shut the hell up. Mind your own business and let people be people.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#132 » by TheFinishSniper » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:28 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:

So there’s a couple of things here. For one, not everyone buys the COD numbers as it pertains to Covid. And there’s good reason for that. Just because someone dies WITH Covid doesn’t mean they died BECAUSE of it. But those numbers suggest just that. With said, people have died from it. So regardless of the true numbers, we know that much.

As far as your getting shot analogy, I think it’s a poor one. Primarily because you are far more likely to die as a result of a gunshot wound than you are from getting Covid. So we need to go apples to apples here. To suggest that people that are hesitant to get the vaccine “want to see people keep getting sick and dying” is extreme and presents a clear picture of everything that is wrong with this sick culture that we think is so great. Every medical solution has a period of apprehension. In other words, people can be hesitant today but convinced 6 months from now once there is enough data for them to feel comfortable with. My family doesn’t want to see anybody die. We’ve been there and done that. But we do have a right to be conscious about what we put into our bodies and those of our kids.

So again, I will say this. I’m good with anybody that has gotten vaccinated. I applaud it even. I do have a problem with people that have gotten vaccinated and somehow feel that they now have the authority to tell other people what they should and shouldn’t do with their bodies. To that, I say know your role and shut the hell up. Mind your own business and let people be people.

People dont get this. Like 99% of them. Not because they are stupid, but because they are ignorant. Yes some people died of Covid. But if I died today in crash accident which has nothing to do with virus and I had previously or I had covid during that time I would still be on list of people who died from Covid.

Most people who die from Covid actually dont die from Covid itself. It's usually just catalyst. They die because Covid hurts their autoimmune system as it's taxing on their body and if they suffer during that time from something else, Covid just furthers those sicknesses which leads to eventual death.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#133 » by Stratmaster » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:18 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:

People refusing to follow the guidelines are jeopardizing the health and lives of others. Sorry but it's just like the masks. Your right to your own choices on your body end when they risk the health or live of others.

What about the vaccine scares you so much that you would risk your family getting the virus?

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#134 » by Stratmaster » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:19 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:

People dont get this. Like 99% of them. Not because they are stupid, but because they are ignorant. Yes some people died of Covid. But if I died today in crash accident which has nothing to do with virus and I had previously or I had covid during that time I would still be on list of people who died from Covid.

Most people who die from Covid actually dont die from Covid itself. It's usually just catalyst. They die because Covid hurts their autoimmune system as it's taxing on their body and if they suffer during that time from something else, Covid just furthers those sicknesses which leads to eventual death.
That is factually incorrect. Hogwash.

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#135 » by sco » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:26 pm

What's the first game Zach can be back for assuming optimistic outcome for health and testing?
:clap:
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#136 » by MGB8 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:27 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:

This is accurate... but overstating the issue. Yes, it's true that under the CDC guidelines in place, a person who dies within 60 days of a positive COVID test is generally coded as having a "COVID related" death, which is then lumped into the totals and incompetently reported by journalists who don't actually look into exactly what a reported statistic means. That's why we have the many reports of motorcycle deaths, drug overdoses, falls, etc., that were coded as a "COVID death."

However, that number is at about 2% of deaths right now (it was previously higher). About five percent of deaths that are "covid related" list cancer as a comorbidity - and the issue then becomes was it the Cancer, or the Covid, or a combination of both. That's often hard to tease out. It gets even harder with the COVID deaths that list heart related comorbidities, which include heart attacks. Ditto Kidney failures.

Similarly, the vast majority of people who died with COVID in the US - around 80% - were aged 65 and older, including folks in hospice and nursing homes who had weeks or months to live in the first place (note that relatively recent studies have found that mean stays in a nursing home are about 14 months, median about 5 months - despite what the long term care insurance salespeople say)... so were folks going to die anyway? Hard to say.

But the vast majority of COVID deaths list comorbidities that are consistent with the disease - pneumonia, respiratory failure, ARDS....

The US certainly did have excess deaths (though what's weird is that the 38000 or so "excess deaths" in the 25-44 age group -- above the predicted high end number of deaths --- is a lot more than the number of deaths marked from COVID in that age range -- and that excess was most pronounced over the summer of 2020, when the pandemic was in a lull...)...

Teasing out the overall direct impact of COVID (as opposed to impact of government restrictions and or public fear --- from loneliness/depression related/aggravated illness to things not caught or treated because of restrictions) -- that's going to take a long time and be hotly debated by academics.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#137 » by samwana » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:02 pm

Can we please stay on topic and keep vaccine and Corona topic some place else? The world is full of this topic already and I come here to read and discuss Bulls basketball. Thanks a lot.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,075
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#138 » by Clint Eastwood » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:20 am

TheStig wrote:
ch434355 wrote:

I don't want to turn this into a vaccine debate but I don't blame someone for nothing wanting it. It is not a full fledged and vetted vaccine yet. Most of them are using new MRNA structure, hasn't been full vetted for long term side effects (it just came into existence and only has emergency authorization. Not a full FDA clearing like every other vaccine. So with that said, I don't blame a low risk individual for not getting it. Zach is likely one of the least likely people on this earth to have serious issues from Covid.

This is actually incorrect. mRNA mechanism of delivery has actually been studied for approximately 10 years without long term effects. It has not been used for a viral vaccine until now, but it has been studied for quite some time. The data is pretty clear that there is a greater chance of long term health issues from covid overall than long term health issues from the vaccine. It’s actually simple math. That being said, it is still a personal choice, but there is a reason it is pretty much universally recommended by physicians.

And while Zach Lavine is lower risk overall, there are people like him who have died or had long term health repercussions. There are certainly a lower percentage of people like Lavine who have had or will have long term issues from the vaccine.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,075
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#139 » by Clint Eastwood » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:25 am

Betta Bulleavit wrote:

I do not believe in telling people they have to do something, but I do not like ignorance of statistics and science being the reason not for them to get the vaccine. And not getting the vaccine hurts others.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
TheStig
RealGM

Post#140 » by TheStig » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:54 am

Clint Eastwood wrote:
TheStig wrote:
ch434355 wrote:

This is actually incorrect. mRNA mechanism of delivery has actually been studied for approximately 10 years without long term effects. It has not been used for a viral vaccine until now, but it has been studied for quite some time. The data is pretty clear that there is a greater chance of long term health issues from covid overall than long term health issues from the vaccine. It’s actually simple math. That being said, it is still a personal choice, but there is a reason it is pretty much universally recommended by physicians.

And while Zach Lavine is lower risk overall, there are people like him who have died or had long term health repercussions. There are certainly a lower percentage of people like Lavine who have had or will have long term issues from the vaccine.

They've been studied but never put into practice. And this vaccine hasn't gone through the full process, it's just emergency authorization. So to say for a fact that its simple math and the odds go one way is far from a fact at this point. We just don't know.

Return to Chicago Bulls