Mavs FO can't be this dumb?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Re: Mavs FO can't be this dumb? 

Post#21 » by Teffer10 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:32 am

jpengland wrote:
arkuo wrote:Brunson is this generation's Rodrigue Beaubois, if you guys know what I mean.

Cuban will brand him as untouchable thinking his shark tank instincts will make his value shoot through the roof and have 29 other GMs camping outside of the AAC with trade offers for JB. Remember how Beaubois was a "major piece" of young talent included in every Mavs rumor in the 2000s including Shaq trade? Just LOL

Brunson's calling card is his dad is good friends with Carlisle.

See above.

Brunsons calling card is that he is a very, very good player.

He's also smart, seems to be a good locker room guy and has improved every year.

If anything, he's the new JJ Barea, but with a much higher ceiling.

Brunson came in as a high floor/low ceiling type player.
I'm not sure how much upside he has left but his floor was a lot higher than most of us thought.
He's a critical piece right now imo and could become a big factor in the POs this season.
He has almost single handedly limited Burke to an insurance/special situation role player.
BoardCrusher
Junior
And1: 319

Post#22 » by BoardCrusher » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:21 am

undersized PG, cant playmake but is a good scorer.

Why do i have a feeling he will ask for something like 20mil per season
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#23 » by BowlRips » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:30 pm

Teffer10 wrote:It's a little crazy for Mavs to consider any player not named Luka "untouchable".
Publicly speaking maybe so, but behind the scenes everyone except Luka is untouchable.
Brunson and nearly any combination of players/picks for Beal or equivalent would absolutely happen.

I wouldn't trade Brunson for mere role players though. He is too critical to our depth at this point.
I don't see the Mavs moving him because they won't get equal value back as many have already stated.

And there is no way in hell I trade him for our pick to NY back.

Lol didnt post in this thread but my comments got posted in here somehow.
To address your point - obviously with the current state of the roster the Mavs dont trade Brunson for their 2023 pick back.
But its safe to assume that there would be some type of roster reconstruction if that's done.
In reality - is a top 10 protected 2023 pick that rolls into 2024 and 2025 with the same protections fair value for Brunson? I think for sure. Not many guys are traded for a real 1st rounder and that pretty much is - except it has no chance for high lottery.

Now for the Mavs future flexibility this trade almost becomes too important.
With those protections, the Mavs are going to be locked out of trading any first round picks until 2027.
If they look into the trade market to improve their team they are seriously ham-struck.
Which is why I suggested that I can see Brunson going to the Knicks for the 2023 pick in return if the Mavs were working on a bigger deal which required more picks to go out.

Recall - Brunson is going to be an UFA in 2022. Not sure if I need to remind everyone of the Leon Rose/Brunson connection. And it's not 20 years ago. Leon Rose (who represented Toppin) had Brunson Sr. training Toppin before drafting him to NY. For better or worse, the Knicks incestual relationships govern some of their decision making. I think the writing is somewhat on the wall. Could even argue its an overpay for NY considering he can just walk here in 2022. The only reason for NY to make the trade is if they have bigger plans and want to use Brunson's low cap hold to resign him
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#24 » by JD45 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:13 pm

I think Jaylen's own 4 year relationship with the Mavs is going to decide where he want to be rather than his father. Now if he wants to leave the Mavs, then that relationship could be a driver for him to choose NYK. But if he is happy in Dallas, I don't think it will make any difference.

I don't think they would be interested in a late first round pick for him, which is what the Mavs pick would most likely be. The odds wouldn't be good of getting a better player there, and it would almost certainly take a couple of years of development. Jaylen fits the Luka timeline pretty well and he also fills a needed roll. I bet they would be willing to trade him in a larger package for a potential star, but not for just another starter or late pick.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#25 » by Absinthe » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:46 am

He’s probably the third best player on the team and young. I would much rather pay him than DFS and it’s not even close. Untouchable? Maybe. They probably couldn’t find a better player in the draft who would make a bigger impact.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,813

Post#26 » by dirkforpres » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:45 pm

Pinkyring wrote:Mavs FO can’t be this dumb?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

- You mean the same FO that passed up Giannis to draft Larkin?
- The ones that signed Wes Matthews, Chandler Parsons, and Harrison Barnes to bloated contracts but lets Kidd, Tyson, and Nash all leave for nothing?
- The same guys that traded for Nerlens, Lamar, and Rajon?
- The ones who are fine with letting Rick Carlisle coach them to first round exits for 10 years?
- The same FO that doesn’t think rebounding or defense are important at the trade deadline, then wonders why we are losing games?

They’re absolutely that dumb
FIRE JASON KIDD
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,792

Post#27 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:04 pm

Mike Bacsik on Twitter “This is interesting from @inthemageors.
The rankings of the per stat on ESPN. Luka is top 10.
His starters he is playing with rank 33rd-KP, J.Rich-275th, DFS-279th and Maxi- 310th.
This is what Luka has to play with. 150 NBA starters. 33, 275, 279, 310 is pretty ugly.”

And KP 33rd is a gift.

We need talent before everything else.
DrPampiloni
Junior
And1: 363

Post#28 » by DrPampiloni » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:42 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Mike Bacsik on Twitter “This is interesting from @inthemageors.
The rankings of the per stat on ESPN. Luka is top 10.
His starters he is playing with rank 33rd-KP, J.Rich-275th, DFS-279th and Maxi- 310th.
This is what Luka has to play with. 150 NBA starters. 33, 275, 279, 310 is pretty ugly.”

And KP 33rd is a gift.

We need talent before everything else.

If you are willing to take PER at face value to prove your point for the other three guys (which I can agree with), you have to accept that KP's ranking is accurate. He's averaging 20+10 on 57.6 TS% (Luka is at 59.3) playing with the highest usage player in the NBA.

Edit: Jalen Brunson sits at 99, Tim Hardaway Jr. is a borderline "starter" at 157.

On a final note, he does not qualify statistically but Boban is also a borderline all-star with a 20.52 PER :crazy: 8-)
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#29 » by Heezzi » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:44 pm

FO is that dumb.

Return to Dallas Mavericks