Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Re: Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread 

Post#1381 » by cjmcallist » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:55 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Outsider here, but a huge fan of SGA and Poku. Do you see OKC as a FA player this offseason? I was looking at young guys that fit the timeline and came up with the following:

THT - IMO it takes a huge overpay to get him. If Presti thinks he can be the 3rd guy in a 'big 3', you make the move.
GTJ - Again, will take a huge overpay to get him from TOR who seems to want him long term, and despite his play I dont think he has long term potential as more than a elite 4th option.
Lonzo Ball - I dont think OKC will be on his list due to market issues
Zach Collins - This is the guy I really like for OKC. Switchy stretch big who could come cheap due to injury issues. Presti loves value, and this could be a great fit.
Lauri Markkanen - I think he will cost a good amount and not be worth it due to defensive liability.

Those are the only somewhat big money guys with the right age that IMO OKC should be looking at IMO.

To me an ideal offseason for OKC would look like: Move Horford for something, sign Zach Collins. resign Svi

Luck into pick #4 - Jalen Green G - The pure scorer that OKC needs. He has special body control, great form, great athleticism and is fearless. Will need to learn to play w/o the ball in his hands.
18 - Neemias Queta C - A tremendously underrated prospect. He plays like poor mans Embiid. Great footwork and hands, great roll man, excellent shotblocker, good mobility for his size, great passer for a big. Just needs to add a jumpshot but his 70% FT rate gives hope.
31 - Ariel Hukporti C - Draft/Stash big who can compete w/ Brown in a year for C3
55 - Traded for something or sold

G - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander / Theo Maledon / Ty Jerome
G - Jalen Green / Luguentz Dort / Ty Jerome
F - Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk / Kenrich Williams / Vit Krejci
F - Aleksej Pokusevski / Darius Bazley / Isaiah Roby
C - Zach Collins / Neemias Queta / Moses Brown

Personally, I would love for OKC to get into the FA market. If we're planning to move on SGA's timeline, any of the FA's you mentioned make sense. I would love Ball or Markkanen, and would like Trent as well.

I like the idea of doing a one year overpay for Collins. I don't know what he's expecting to get, but if we gave him a 1 yr. $15m prove it deal? That might be an option.

But, I doubt that's Presti's plan. We've never played in the FA space and I'd be surprised if that changes this time around. These Euro signings are strange to me - clearly Presti has some plan that he's executing. Given it's guard/forward heavy, it's possible the he plans on signing a FA center this summer.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,805

Post#1382 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:14 pm

But, I doubt that's Presti's plan. We've never played in the FA space and I'd be surprised if that changes this time around. These Euro signings are strange to me - clearly Presti has some plan that he's executing. Given it's guard/forward heavy, it's possible the he plans on signing a FA center this summer.

I think he is going after Euro guys because, why not. Its new and creative to target them midseason, get them a tryout. See if they are a fit, if they play well and are not a fit you move them and get assets for nothing, if they suck you cut them. Its like how whales eat, just open their mouths and take all the food in they can. That is Presti with this rebuild.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#1383 » by cjmcallist » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:14 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:Do you guys think 1 of your guards get traded? Micic is joining next season and with the way he was playing and him declining an offer from Real Madrid and Efes (he makes 1,7M $ after taxes now, could be even more if he stayed), he either is going to get a decent raise or a big enough role to come over for similar money.

With SGA, Maledon, Jerome, Dort and Micic around, it doesn't seem like there are enough minutes for all of them. Maybe one of the non SGA and Micic guys get packaged in a trade to trade up for a player Presti really likes?

I think anyone could be on the trade table this offseason (probably not SGA).

I've long thought Dort would make a valuable "trade up" piece. He can really help both developing and "win-now" teams.

It does feel like Presti is gearing up for something.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#1384 » by cjmcallist » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:19 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

I think he is going after Euro guys because, why not. Its new and creative to target them midseason, get them a tryout. See if they are a fit, if they play well and are not a fit you move them and get assets for nothing, if they suck you cut them. Its like how whales eat, just open their mouths and take all the food in they can. That is Presti with this rebuild.

:lol: :lol: What a great analogy.

The most odd thing about it is the age of these players. Deck aligns to your "try out" thought - which makes a lot of sense.

But Micic is strange to me. Maybe Presti didn't have a choice, but I suspect something else is going on. All of these dots connect if OKC is accelerating their rebuild.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#1385 » by jake_swivel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:08 pm

cjmcallist wrote:I like the idea of doing a one year overpay for Collins. I don't know what he's expecting to get, but if we gave him a 1 yr. $15m prove it deal? That might be an option.

Someone’s giving Collins the max. And I bet Atlanta matches.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#1386 » by cjmcallist » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:29 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:I like the idea of doing a one year overpay for Collins. I don't know what he's expecting to get, but if we gave him a 1 yr. $15m prove it deal? That might be an option.

I think you're right for J. Collins.

I meant Zach Collins. :D
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#1387 » by jake_swivel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:32 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

I think you're right for J. Collins.

I meant Zach Collins. :D

Heh, whooooooops.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#1388 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:24 am

George Hill still isn’t playing. Rivers said last week there is no timetable for return. It’s impressive we were able to trade him.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#1389 » by Balkman32 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:56 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Feels timely that this list from ESPN just came out naming SGA as a top 10 player under 25 years old in the league. Pretty sure you wouldn't deal him for anyone in this draft. A bird in the hand being better than 2 in the bush and all.

This. Why would you move on from a 22 year old who is putting up 23 a night, at a highly efficient rate for a league unknown. SGA stays in OKC!

If we are too good to tank when the team is healthier and stacked with two top 5 picks then it is what it is.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#1390 » by Balkman32 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:58 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

:lol: :lol: What a great analogy.

The most odd thing about it is the age of these players. Deck aligns to your "try out" thought - which makes a lot of sense.

But Micic is strange to me. Maybe Presti didn't have a choice, but I suspect something else is going on. All of these dots connect if OKC is accelerating their rebuild.

I heard Micic's agent was not sure what team he would play for next year but he is coming to the NBA. So this can be a nice little trade asset to move about the draft.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#1391 » by Balkman32 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:30 pm

Does Shai stay or Does he go?

I think this guy has already proven he is a guy I want on the team. I think he could be the Batman. He is probably better suited for Robin.

Does he makes us too good, right now. Absolutely. But, you have to stack your talent. That was part of the reasoning for dealing Harden and Ibaka to add multiple layers of talent. The way the team played before the deadline was great basketball. Right now its a lot of Process Sixers. Lets see where the lottery balls land. Take the BPA and lets see what this team has. If a team of 25 year olds and Kendrich Williams led by Shai makes the playoffs, well then they make the playoffs. The one nice thing about Dort and Shai is they can be your 1, 2, or 3 moving forward.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#1392 » by Balkman32 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:38 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:I don't think this would restrict the Thunder in making an offer. I wonder if Presti is willing to sign a guy to an offer sheet this offseason. or if the plan to stink, prioritizes an offer sheet to a Ball or Collins.

One thing to note the Thunder 2022 FRP is owed to ATL if the picks falls outside the protected range of the Lottery.

Emoni Bates will probably be the #1 pick in the 2022 draft. The Thunder should try to load up on the lottery balls.

There are 27 games left this season with next year looking like another tank. That just leaves 109 games & 15 month until this team is putting its all on the line to built a team that can contend for a decade.

Yeah, it's a good question. I'm sure that Presti wants at least one more year in the top 5 before adding pieces.

Doesn't Shai's extension kick in for the 2023 season? Said another way, I believe we have two seasons before Shai's max affects free agency.

If we keep it clean (rookies and minimums), we could still have mega space between 2022 and 2023 seasons anyway, even with his max. Assuming we move Horford and only bring in vet mins or rookie scales, we could have somewhere in the $40m range to throw at a free agent the same offseason that Shai signs his extension.

Someone needs to check me on all that math/CBA understanding.

Unfortunately, don't know who will sign with us that summer. Looks like most desirable FAs then are RFAs or unrealistic for OKC (e.g. Kyrie Irving).

I doubt the Thunder use cap space to sign someone and if they do they will have plenty of space to sign a MAX guy until 2025. Presti always finds ways to use his money and now with the draft capital he has he will be even more dangerous.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Presti give Lonzo an offer sheet. Especially if he gets two top 5 picks.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1393 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:33 pm

Balkman32 wrote:Does Shai stay or Does he go?

I think this guy has already proven he is a guy I want on the team. I think he could be the Batman. He is probably better suited for Robin.

Does he makes us too good, right now. Absolutely. But, you have to stack your talent. That was part of the reasoning for dealing Harden and Ibaka to add multiple layers of talent. The way the team played before the deadline was great basketball. Right now its a lot of Process Sixers. Lets see where the lottery balls land. Take the BPA and lets see what this team has. If a team of 25 year olds and Kendrich Williams led by Shai makes the playoffs, well then they make the playoffs. The one nice thing about Dort and Shai is they can be your 1, 2, or 3 moving forward.

I've said before that Shai is good enough that trading him at this point is the equivalent of the family guy mystery box scene. How many of the top five guys will realistically be better than Shai?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#1394 » by cjmcallist » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:24 pm

Balkman32 wrote:
I doubt the Thunder use cap space to sign someone and if they do they will have plenty of space to sign a MAX guy until 2025. Presti always finds ways to use his money and now with the draft capital he has he will be even more dangerous.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Presti give Lonzo an offer sheet. Especially if he gets two top 5 picks.

Yeah, I doubt it too. I do think there's some merit to overpaying on a 3 year deal. Then, in the offseason prior to 2024 (right before the TV deal kicks in, and before our 2021 draft picks extensions kick in) we can try to acquire someone...
mr570
Senior
And1: 290

Post#1395 » by mr570 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:33 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:Does Shai stay or Does he go?

I've said before that Shai is good enough that trading him at this point is the equivalent of the family guy mystery box scene. How many of the top five guys will realistically be better than Shai?

I can see any of the top five guys flaming out. Houston, Minnesota, Detroit... None of them exactly known for their development. If god is good we get two top five picks and they both turn out bc OKC prints superstars :D
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#1396 » by jake_swivel » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:55 am

Balkman32 wrote:I heard Micic's agent was not sure what team he would play for next year but he is coming to the NBA. So this can be a nice little trade asset to move about the draft.

He’s not a great trade asset because he has so much leverage. If he doesn’t like the trade partner, he can just not come over. Additionally, he can ask for more than the rookie scale contract.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1397 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:35 pm

If Loves gets in on the naming rights then maybe The Peake can become The Truck Stop.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31296142/chesapeake-energy-terminates-naming-rights-deal-oklahoma-city-thunder
itzmrgigglez
Junior
And1: 107

Post#1398 » by itzmrgigglez » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:18 pm

Possible Offseason Targets per Bleacher Report:

PG Lonzo Ball
SG Gary Trent Jr.
G/F Talen Horton-Tucker
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#1399 » by Devilanche » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:33 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:I heard Micic's agent was not sure what team he would play for next year but he is coming to the NBA. So this can be a nice little trade asset to move about the draft.

He’s not a great trade asset because he has so much leverage. If he doesn’t like the trade partner, he can just not come over. Additionally, he can ask for more than the rookie scale contract.

If he’s coming to NBA I think he comes to OKC first . 3 years contract at 6-8m per year.

Proof he belongs in the nba for a abit and then Presti will trade him to a contender as there will be more future second unlocked for trade then .

Trade him now at most get back a poor second round pick , trade him in future after he have proven he belong maybe we can get 2-3 second rounders .

In the interim hope he can guide the younger one along.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
ThunderBorn
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#1400 » by ThunderBorn » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:03 pm

Hypothetically, say we get the 1st pick in this draft. Houston falls out of the top 4. Would we still get Houston’s pick or would it be Miami’s pick? To my understanding we would keep our pick and since we have a swap with Houston. They would get to keep their pick (outside of top 4). So that would leave us with pick 1 and Miami’s pick.... help me out here

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder