ImageImageImageImage

2020-2021 Regular Season Game 58: Orlando Magic (18-39) at Atlanta Hawks (31-26)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 58: Orlando Magic (18-39) at Atlanta Hawks (31-26) 

Post#121 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:06 am

Knightro wrote:
ChosenSavior wrote:Honestly not that impressed with the Hawks at all.

To be fair, they are also missing 3 rotation guys.

Reddish wasn't playing well, but Hunter and Gallinari were both contributing a ton before they got hurt.

Have they given up on Cam? Seeing us without Bacon Ennis and OPJ next season our SF is kinda thin with only Chuma Ross and Cade there. You think they will trade Cam?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 58: Orlando Magic (18-39) at Atlanta Hawks (31-26) 

Post#122 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:18 am

RookieStar wrote:Have they given up on Cam? Seeing us without Bacon Ennis and OPJ next season our SF is kinda thin with only Chuma Ross and Cade there. You think they will trade Cam?

It feels like a Bamba situation where the amount they have invested in him from a draft capital perspective still outweighs what they would get in return (not very much).
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 460

Post#123 » by uraverage » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:27 am

Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Have they given up on Cam? Seeing us without Bacon Ennis and OPJ next season our SF is kinda thin with only Chuma Ross and Cade there. You think they will trade Cam?

It feels like a Bamba situation where the amount they have invested in him from a draft capital perspective still outweighs what they would get in return (not very much).

Cam should be an example to our front office of what potential looks like without passing the eye test in college. Minus a couple of moments he never wowed at Duke.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#124 » by KillMonger » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:42 am

Man, i got to wonder is Clifford losing the team? because i hardly think this is how he wants to play whether he has the talent or not...There is not too much organization....there is a major lack of ball movement....too much of this 1 pass then a shot offense....it's just lazy....can this be a not enough practice problem or is what clifford is selling not being bought anymore? What can he do to get these guys to at least execute better? there's only so many times you can call the team out in the media
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#125 » by thelead » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:48 am

KillMonger wrote:Man, i got to wonder is Clifford losing the team? because i hardly think this is how he wants to play whether he has the talent or not...There is not too much organization....there is a major lack of ball movement....too much of this 1 pass then a shot offense....it's just lazy....can this be a not enough practice problem or is what clifford is selling not being bought anymore? What can he do to get these guys to at least execute better? there's only so many times you can call the team out in the media

Or... he wants star player to build around just as much as everyone else. You can only get so much output from subpar talent. The starters actually played decently. Bamba, RJ, and Randle lead the tank tonight.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#126 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:54 am

thelead wrote:
KillMonger wrote:Man, i got to wonder is Clifford losing the team? because i hardly think this is how he wants to play whether he has the talent or not...There is not too much organization....there is a major lack of ball movement....too much of this 1 pass then a shot offense....it's just lazy....can this be a not enough practice problem or is what clifford is selling not being bought anymore? What can he do to get these guys to at least execute better? there's only so many times you can call the team out in the media

Or... he wants star player to build around just as much as everyone else. You can only get so much output from subpar talent. The starters actually played decently. Bamba, RJ, and Randle lead the tank tonight.
The team is playing great! Love the execution.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,529

Post#127 » by penny_nz » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:00 am

Knightro wrote:
penny_nz wrote:Been so busy at work today haven't even been able to check the score, never mind watch, anyone mind giving me a quick run down on how people have been doing? Anyone played well or any good moments?

This is one of the games where Clifford is going to crap all over the players after the game for fouling too much and giving up too many offensive rebounds.

Defense really hasn't been that bad. Offense has been bad, but it's usually bad.

Much appreciated man, I'll catch the highlights later
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#128 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:29 am

Knightro wrote:To be fair, they are also missing 3 rotation guys.

Reddish wasn't playing well, but Hunter and Gallinari were both contributing a ton before they got hurt.

I'm still not sold on their core. At least not as a legitimate contender or playoff team. It's going to be intriguing to see how Young is going to be ref'd come postseason. So much of his offense is predicated on those bs tick-tacky shooting fouls && I think that's going to change in the postseason. It has for a lot of players who rely on that foul call.

I also anticipate teams torturing Young/Capela in PnR situations over a 7 game series as well.

They just don't have any real perimeter defenders either outside of Hunter (I don't think Reddish can play meaningful minutes in a playoff series at this stage) and I think you're going to have to surround Young with switchy elite defenders to have success, which I'm not positive they have enough of.

Hawks are just the classic regular-season team to me && will continue to be if Young/Collins are their max contract players.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#129 » by KillMonger » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:36 am

thelead wrote:

Yeah I don’t think it’s that simple because the things you can control like effort and defense have nothing to do with a star player and those aspects are way subpar. I have my issues with this offense but.....1 pass before a shot goes up? Just lazy to me on both ends of the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#130 » by thelead » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:48 am

KillMonger wrote:
thelead wrote:

Yeah I don’t think it’s that simple because the things you can control like effort and defense have nothing to do with a star player and those aspects are way subpar. I have my issues with this offense but.....1 pass before a shot goes up? Just lazy to me on both ends of the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Those things lead to unnecessary wins... no need for him to stress it in the situation we're in. Notice he's not even mad about the losses after the game anymore.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#131 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:55 am

Nah. There's just not very many experienced players out there right now. Some of the younger guys have talent, but don't know how to translate that into winning basketball yet.

You look at the 10 guys who have played the last two games.

3 rookies
3 G-Leaguers
2 third year 22 year olds
1 league minimum scrub
1 actual veteran

Most young guys are bad regardless of situation, so of course they're struggling.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,892

Post#132 » by drsd » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:08 am

Howard Mass wrote:Let's Go Magic!

Howard: Are we the only two left rooting for a win?

drsd
RealGM

Post#133 » by drsd » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:10 am

Bamba goes 1-5 on 2 points in 19 minutes played. That equalled out a -20 in his plus/minus. Franks, Canndady, and Randle all had "better" stat lines. I am not sure coach Clifford will buy into Bamba early next season unless there is a transformation in his game over the off-season. RIght now Bamba is playing at a G-league level of quality.
drsd
RealGM

Post#134 » by drsd » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:22 am

Knightro wrote:Most young guys are bad regardless of situation, so of course they're struggling.

I agree with all of your points, but looking at this sentence, one would expect a high TO rate. And the Magic is not turning the ball over. That is very odd for me.

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#135 » by Howard Mass » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:40 am

drsd wrote:

I always cheer on the team.

The reality is they will lose a lot of games down the stretch. I do want a win every now and then while maintaining lottery position.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Post#136 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:36 am

Now Cole is the All-Star and Okeke has slid off the hot list...I'll be happy on draft night (I hope) but this is so ugly. WeHam now has a handful of picks, prospects, some cap to work with. Let's hope they have a better hand with it than Henny. It was such a bad time when every night, Tobias, Vuc, Harkless, AG, Vic, Evan would alternate going off for career highs while the team sucks. Vic detailed what that was like after he left...Regardless of the need to lose, good habits and roles can be instilled in young players. Clifford might be the guy with his emphasis on defense, low turnovers, etc...just hideous right now.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#137 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:59 am

drsd wrote:Bamba goes 1-5 on 2 points in 19 minutes played. That equalled out a -20 in his plus/minus. Franks, Canndady, and Randle all had "better" stat lines. I am not sure coach Clifford will buy into Bamba early next season unless there is a transformation in his game over the off-season. RIght now Bamba is playing at a G-league level of quality.
We saw Fournier put up 1 or 2 points in 36 minutes before, and did we say let's send him to the G League? Bamba shot 4 3 pt. shots, normally 1 or 2 of those fall. Also we knew his offensive stats would go down when he started playing less minutes with Cole.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,510

Post#138 » by Bergmaniac » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:18 pm

Hampton as a main ballhandler is pretty painful to watch, but it's great for the tank.

Anyway, not much to say about this game. The starters were decent, WCJ again with a very solid game apart from rebounding, the bench was a disaster as expected. Cannady in particular looked so nervous and out of his depth.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#139 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:30 pm

Howard Mass wrote:
drsd wrote:

I always cheer on the team.

The reality is they will lose a lot of games down the stretch. I do want a win every now and then while maintaining lottery position.

sadly, we cant win and maintain draft position, its all too close. tied for 3 with a bad Detroit team. bad OKC and Cleveland team's just 2 games behind us.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#140 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:31 pm

Skybox wrote:Now Cole is the All-Star and Okeke has slid off the hot list...I'll be happy on draft night (I hope) but this is so ugly. WeHam now has a handful of picks, prospects, some cap to work with. Let's hope they have a better hand with it than Henny. It was such a bad time when every night, Tobias, Vuc, Harkless, AG, Vic, Evan would alternate going off for career highs while the team sucks. Vic detailed what that was like after he left...Regardless of the need to lose, good habits and roles can be instilled in young players. Clifford might be the guy with his emphasis on defense, low turnovers, etc...just hideous right now.

Cole HAS to get his fg% above 40%. i'm happy with his assists, but his shot selection needs to be refined.

Return to Orlando Magic