ImageImageImageImageImage

Is RJ Barrett a beast?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Is RJ Barrett a bust?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 347

akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1061 » by akhan786 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:09 pm

Did you guys read this article about Drew Hanlen adjusting RJ’s shot before the draft? Pretty damning about Fizdale

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/nba/inside-rj-barretts-transformation-one-nbas-deadliest-shooters/sn-amp/

Feel bad that we didn’t set him up to succeed with shite management and coaching in his rookie year. But ultimately might be the best thing long term cause the dude seems to love disrespect as motivation.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,733

Post#1062 » by cgf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:34 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Can we take a moment to reflect on just how well things go for the Knicks when you do the things you’re supposed to do?

They traded Melo to kickstart the rebuild - got Mitch

They played the kids & lived with the result - got RJB

They went after a younger guy who could be a part of the future - got Randle

They traded the well playing vet in a losing year - got IQ

Imagine where we’d be if they had

A. Used the remaining cap space on assets instead of mediocre journeymen vets in 2019
B. Played the kids & lives with the results in 19-20

It’s so rare we do it but when we make the normal decision, it pays off for us. How many arguments did we have on all these things?

Agreed on all points (but one).

But for me the point about the vets is about which type of vets do you bring in. Players who have been in the trenches and who can play and off the ball to give the kids the space they need to develop, or ball-dominant career losers who will decide the fate of the team? And will the organization hold these vets accountable or cater to them because of some misguided old-school principle that standing on its own is actually devoid of substance?

Bullock, Burks and Noel have done wonders for this team this season because they mostly play within their role, and they do it quite well. Bullock and Noel for instance don't compromise RJ's usage. A guy like Payton on the other hand puts a ceiling on Quickley's playing time and on RJ's usage without actually helping the team.

My point is, not all mediocre journeyman vets are created equal.

Bullock yes. That’s why nobody was against the 2nd version of his contract. We could of used all the remaining cap space on assets and still signed him - it was an exception. A some 3 & some D guy is always a solid small investment.

Burks is a gunner given too big a role. Reduce his role and id like him a 100x better. He’s not that good for the role he’s given.

Noel is a rim protector and literally nothing else. He’s a huge detriment on offense. One of the worst PnR men in the NBA. Not just eye test, stats back that up. He’s not a good rebounder. He can block shots. That’s it.

They haven’t done wonders. They sometimes meet their inflated roles and more often have not. We won’t miss them when they’re gone.

Just like we didn’t miss any of the other journeymen who’ve been here the last few years.

There is no world I would rather have the journeymen vets than the assets.

I'll miss Bullock, even if we replace him with a kid I love like Ziaire.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#1063 » by BugginOut » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:39 am

Read on Twitter

47% over 48 games is freaking absurd. The ceiling in this kid is really unlimited.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,553

Post#1064 » by Capn'O » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:01 am

BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#1065 » by Oscirus » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:17 am

Read on Twitter
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#1066 » by dakomish23 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:52 am

BugginOut wrote:
Read on Twitter

47% over 48 games is freaking absurd. The ceiling in this kid is really unlimited.

That dude has been a believer. Take a victory lap, Drew.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Look at the responses to this original tweet. He’s right.

Also came across this gem. I like drew even more now

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#1067 » by GONYK » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:09 pm

I can't think of another scrub who feels himself more than Kendrick Perkins
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1068 » by dakomish23 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:40 pm

cgf wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Agreed on all points (but one).

But for me the point about the vets is about which type of vets do you bring in. Players who have been in the trenches and who can play and off the ball to give the kids the space they need to develop, or ball-dominant career losers who will decide the fate of the team? And will the organization hold these vets accountable or cater to them because of some misguided old-school principle that standing on its own is actually devoid of substance?

Bullock, Burks and Noel have done wonders for this team this season because they mostly play within their role, and they do it quite well. Bullock and Noel for instance don't compromise RJ's usage. A guy like Payton on the other hand puts a ceiling on Quickley's playing time and on RJ's usage without actually helping the team.

My point is, not all mediocre journeyman vets are created equal.

Bullock yes. That’s why nobody was against the 2nd version of his contract. We could of used all the remaining cap space on assets and still signed him - it was an exception. A some 3 & some D guy is always a solid small investment.

Burks is a gunner given too big a role. Reduce his role and id like him a 100x better. He’s not that good for the role he’s given.

Noel is a rim protector and literally nothing else. He’s a huge detriment on offense. One of the worst PnR men in the NBA. Not just eye test, stats back that up. He’s not a good rebounder. He can block shots. That’s it.

They haven’t done wonders. They sometimes meet their inflated roles and more often have not. We won’t miss them when they’re gone.

Just like we didn’t miss any of the other journeymen who’ve been here the last few years.

I would too. I didn’t like what I saw the first half of the season b/c I thought his D wasn’t good. But he’s really turned it up the 2nd half. Doesn’t hurt the last 20 games he’s shooting 43% from 3 & that he seems to have a really good vibe will all our guys.

Truly living up to the 3&D attribute. Of all the journeymen, he’s the one I’d love to bring back most.

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,733

Post#1069 » by cgf » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:02 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
cgf wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Bullock yes. That’s why nobody was against the 2nd version of his contract. We could of used all the remaining cap space on assets and still signed him - it was an exception. A some 3 & some D guy is always a solid small investment.

I would too. I didn’t like what I saw the first half of the season b/c I thought his D wasn’t good. But he’s really turned it up the 2nd half. Doesn’t hurt the last 20 games he’s shooting 43% from 3 & that he seems to have a really good vibe will all our guys.

Truly living up to the 3&D attribute. Of all the journeymen, he’s the one I’d love to bring back most.

See I thought his D was really under-rated to start the season because we were all focused on his poor shooting, even though (IMO) he established himself as our best perimeter defender pretty early.

He certainly made some boneheaded decisions and got taken advantage of at times...so I could see where the people griping about him continuing to start were coming from, especially with how hot Burks was out of the gates...but Bullock understood Thibs rotations quickly and was helping the other guys a lot as they were still figuring things out; while continuing to move well without the ball. Reggie seeming to be a great locker-room guy, on top of finding his stroke again, is just icing on the cake. Obviously wouldn't be the end of the world if he moved on, but I would miss him (& Taj) if he (they) moved on this summer.

I gotta give the FO props for nabbing Burks & Noel on the cheap and both could certainly play roles for us next year even if we bolster our squad in the offseason...but I'd be a lot less bummed about seeing them playing elsewhere.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
RandlesCornrows
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,603

Post#1070 » by RandlesCornrows » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:25 pm

Is it fair to compare RJ to Klay at this point?
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#1071 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:36 pm

akhan786 wrote:Did you guys read this article about Drew Hanlen adjusting RJ’s shot before the draft? Pretty damning about Fizdale

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/nba/inside-rj-barretts-transformation-one-nbas-deadliest-shooters/sn-amp/

Feel bad that we didn’t set him up to succeed with shite management and coaching in his rookie year. But ultimately might be the best thing long term cause the dude seems to love disrespect as motivation.

Yeah, that makes Fizzle or whoever the coach was who asked RJ to Re-alter his shot, look like idiots.

Also interesting:

“He said, ‘Man, I was bad,’” recalls Hanlen, founder of Pure Sweat Basketball who counts some of the NBA’s most lethal scorers – Bradley Beal, Zach LaVine and Jayson Tatum among them – as clients. “He said, ‘Let’s put in the work because I never want to experience a season like that again.’”

With months before the 2020-21 season started and with the support of incoming Knicks head coach Tom Thibodeau’s staff – it helped, too, that Hanlen had trained a number of clients for former agent-turned-Knicks-president Leon Rose – Barrett and Hanlen picked up where they left off during the pre-draft process.

Makes the potential Beal or LaVine trades more intriguing.
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#1072 » by akhan786 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:41 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
akhan786 wrote:Did you guys read this article about Drew Hanlen adjusting RJ’s shot before the draft? Pretty damning about Fizdale

Yeah, that makes Fizzle or whoever the coach was who asked RJ to Re-alter his shot, look like idiots.

Also interesting:

“He said, ‘Man, I was bad,’” recalls Hanlen, founder of Pure Sweat Basketball who counts some of the NBA’s most lethal scorers – Bradley Beal, Zach LaVine and Jayson Tatum among them – as clients. “He said, ‘Let’s put in the work because I never want to experience a season like that again.’”

With months before the 2020-21 season started and with the support of incoming Knicks head coach Tom Thibodeau’s staff – it helped, too, that Hanlen had trained a number of clients for former agent-turned-Knicks-president Leon Rose – Barrett and Hanlen picked up where they left off during the pre-draft process.

1990’s saw agents become factors in player movement

2020’s the trainers are now power players :lol:
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#1073 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:02 pm

akhan786 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Also interesting:

1990’s saw agents become factors in player movement

2020’s the trainers are now power players :lol:

:D

More the confluence around Rose, Thibs, Hanlen, RJ and then the other players.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#1074 » by KnicksGod » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:05 pm

NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,025

Post#1075 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:47 pm

Anyone still want JA over him?

Wings > PGs
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,136

Post#1076 » by Fat Kat » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:55 pm

knicks94 wrote:He is Trevor Ariza with no shooting skills.

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#1077 » by KnicksGod » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:57 pm

28% Bust votes is not TOO bad or too high considering that NewKnicks probably figured out a way to vote more than 10 times.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#1078 » by Oscirus » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:09 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1079 » by dakomish23 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:09 am

The best way I can describe my joy watching this kid is like the barber from Coming to America watching Sexual Chocolate

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#1080 » by Jay10 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to New York Knicks