ImageImageImageImageImage

The Landlord, Go-Go Gadget Gafford. Official Daniel Gafford Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Re: All things Daniel Gafford 

Post#41 » by Dat2U » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:59 pm

nate33 wrote:The team is 5-1 when Gafford plays, with the only loss coming on the road against Phoenix on a back-to-back without Beal in the lineup.

It's like Utah trading for Jordan Clarkson to be their 6th man a few years back and suddenly going on a long winning streak. Sometimes one perfect fitting can make a huge difference even if that player isn't elite.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#42 » by payitforward » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:05 pm

queridiculo wrote:
Shoe wrote:Great acquisition by Tommy Sheppard. EG would've trade two first for Vucevic

Major credit goes to the Bulls FO and their short sighted trade for Vucevic.

Without that deal in place and the Bulls love affair with Thad Young as a small ball center Gafford probably wouldn't have become available....

This is a great point! At the same time, come to think of it, they also acquired Theis at the deadline -- added 2 Centers. Makes you wonder whether the new Chicago FO had much of a fix on Gafford at all.
queridiculo wrote:...Pleasantly surprised by Gafford's touch from the free throw line. He's got nice mechanics, wonder if he's going to be able to develop a jumper.

He's a pretty fluid athlete, so why not?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#43 » by payitforward » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:21 pm

Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:The team is 5-1 when Gafford plays, with the only loss coming on the road against Phoenix on a back-to-back without Beal in the lineup.

It's like Utah trading for Jordan Clarkson to be their 6th man a few years back and suddenly going on a long winning streak. Sometimes one perfect fitting can make a huge difference even if that player isn't elite.

Especially if he proceeds to put up elite numbers -- which Gafford certainly has so far! He's scoring 30 points per 40 minutes while grabbing lots of boards, blocking lons of shots...
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#44 » by FAH1223 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:49 pm

Gafford is the C that we wanted when Troy Brown was selected. I wanted Robert Williams.

But this is nice so far!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#45 » by Ruzious » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:24 pm

Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:I doubt Len will attract much more than a vet minimum contract.

Agreed. Maybe we use non-Bird rights and offer him the vet-minimum plus 20%, which would beat out all other vet-minimum offers.

I'd be happy to bring him back as our 3rd center at that price. He may not be a game changer, but he is competent. If one of Bryant or Gafford goes down, I'd feel good about having Len fill in.

If we draft a center, then there probably isn't room for him though.

No. Let's do better and aim higher. I find this as silly as the talk of needing to re-sign a scrub like Mortiz Wagner some weeks back. We already have one slow footed C under contract next season in Bryant. We don't need two.

But we're talking about the 3rd string center - someone you don't use unless one of the other 2 are out - and you're paying the minimum for. Personally, I'd go for Justin Patton (despite him being cut several times) at the minimum, but Len at the minimum is a reasonable choice.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#46 » by payitforward » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:...We already have one slow footed C under contract next season in Bryant. We don't need two.

But we're talking about the 3rd string center - someone you don't use unless one of the other 2 are out - and you're paying the minimum for. Personally, I'd go for Justin Patton (despite him being cut several times) at the minimum, but Len at the minimum is a reasonable choice.

I don't know how a slow one footed Center (any position really) can play in the NBA. Got to have two feet.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#47 » by NatP4 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:31 pm

jangles86
Starter
And1: 937

Post#48 » by jangles86 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:15 am

Per 36 numbers are impressive.

24/12 3bpg 1.5spg

Even a 20/10 and a couple of blocks would be an extremely handy acquisition for his contract.
Signed until the end of 2023 season at the minimum :o
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 359

Post#49 » by Benjammin » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:44 am

It's sort of like getting a top 10-15 pick at the minimum for two more years.

Sent from my moto z3 using RealGM mobile app
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#50 » by WallToWall » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:50 pm

Couple things that impress me about him.
He has long arms, and that, combined with his vertical, seems to elevate him to grab many rebounds, or just tip it to a teammate.
His man to man defense is actually good. He gets the person he is defending to alter their shot or pass the ball.

I would like to see what a lineup of Bryant at PF, Gafford at C, Hachimura at SF, Beal, and Westbrook could do.

Gafford needs time in the weight room, and work on his conditioning. If he adds one shot to his game during the off-season, he will be quite good.

What a nice find.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#51 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:58 pm

He "will be quite good?"

He's already kind of incredible. If he adds a little outside shooting, he'll be... better than incredible!
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#52 » by WallToWall » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:22 pm

payitforward wrote:He "will be quite good?"

He's already kind of incredible. If he adds a little outside shooting, he'll be... better than incredible!
Sample size is too small with him on our team. But there is good reason for optimism.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#53 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:28 pm

Daniel "Wilt" Gafford. Elected to the Hall of Fame before the first ballot.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#54 » by dckingsfan » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:41 pm

Hmmm, I think there should be irrational optimism for Gafford. He has talents that we need, he is taking his opportunity seriously and there is a good fit next to Westbrook and Beal.

Maybe not a HOFer - but very likely a Wizards HOFer...
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#55 » by dckingsfan » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:43 pm

WallToWall wrote:I would like to see what a lineup of Bryant at PF, Gafford at C...

Me too… I think this is workable for some minutes per game. And even this year a few minutes of Lopez or Len/Gafford.

I would much rather see this then to rush Rui back (my 1/2 cent).
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#56 » by DCZards » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:58 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
WallToWall wrote:I would like to see what a lineup of Bryant at PF, Gafford at C...

Me too… I think this is workable for some minutes per game. And even this year a few minutes of Lopez or Len/Gafford.

I would much rather see this then to rush Rui back (my 1/2 cent).

I doubt that we’ll see any lineups with Gafford and Len or Gafford and Lopez because none of them are a threat to score from other than right at the basket. Their presence on the court together would only clog up the middle for Russ and Brad.

At least with Bryant, you have someone capable of making threes and midrange jumpers.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#57 » by dckingsfan » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:06 am

Eh... our forwards (Deni & Rui) can't shoot 3s either (yet)... I would like to see Gafford out there for some minutes at PF given what is going on...
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 820

Post#58 » by 9 and 20 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:32 am

Between RoLo and Gafford, we do have a bit of a Duncan/Robinson situation.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#59 » by tontoz » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:43 pm

9 and 20 wrote:Between RoLo and Gafford, we do have a bit of a Duncan/Robinson situation.

When being sarcastic it helps to use green font. :lol:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 592

Post#60 » by BearlyBallin » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:08 pm

Benjammin wrote:It's sort of like getting a top 10-15 pick at the minimum for two more years.

Sent from my moto z3 using RealGM mobile app

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC

Return to Washington Wizards