ImageImageImageImage

2020-2021 Regular Season Game 60: Indiana Pacers (28-31) at Orlando Magic (18-41)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 60: Indiana Pacers (28-31) at Orlando Magic (18-41) 

Post#141 » by drsd » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:20 am

Howard Mass wrote:Another loss but all of our thoughts are with Devin Cannady tonight.

As Cannady is on a two-way contract, not suiting up for games will cost him hard cash. This really is awful financially for him. Hopefully there is some sort of NBA insurance scheme for two-way players injured during NBA games.

MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 60: Indiana Pacers (28-31) at Orlando Magic (18-41) 

Post#142 » by MagicStarwipe » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:34 am

Good to see Wendell do a better job on the defensive boards. Thought he was unlucky on a couple shots around the rim and a dubious offensive foul. Haven't checked but I'm guessing he was on a minutes restriction.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Post#143 » by Skybox » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:47 am

pepe1991 wrote:Another game that outcome was clear around after 2 and half quaters. If people think this is how "development" looks like... lol i can't even.

There’s no player development coming from this garbage...all we can hope for is some roster development
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#144 » by pepe1991 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:10 am

Skybox wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Another game that outcome was clear around after 2 and half quaters. If people think this is how "development" looks like... lol i can't even.

There’s no player development coming from this garbage...all we can hope for is some roster development

I agree.
I tried to catch on parts of Pelicans game to figure is there some silver lining and i would just stop the tape to see what's defensive scheme or what they are trying to achive, and it was such a mess that it's not hard to figure team gave up on a season.

There was one play where Bamba got lot of initial heat , but if you rewatch it , you can also see Hampton having no clue what to do and Cole "switching" on wrong man for no reason despite there is plenty of time to change his defender and set proper defense. Lot of times magic do switching for sake of "scheme" and help opponents have missmatch before offense even engaged in any action.

What execlly was logic here? This is highschool level of basketball
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#145 » by zaymon » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:51 am

pepe1991 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I agree.
I tried to catch on parts of Pelicans game to figure is there some silver lining and i would just stop the tape to see what's defensive scheme or what they are trying to achive, and it was such a mess that it's not hard to figure team gave up on a season.

There was one play where Bamba got lot of initial heat , but if you rewatch it , you can also see Hampton having no clue what to do and Cole "switching" on wrong man for no reason despite there is plenty of time to change his defender and set proper defense. Lot of times magic do switching for sake of "scheme" and help opponents have missmatch before offense even engaged in any action.

What execlly was logic here? This is highschool level of basketball

Its Harris with number 14 not Hampton. The problem on that possession was that Pacers went 5 out while Bamba was standing under the rim guarding nobody. Substitions 30s earlier were:
Carter -> Bamba,
Sampson->Holiday.
We had 4 players guarding 5 players on the perimeter. It was on Bamba or Anthony to sprint to #5 Sumner, while the other guarding #7 Brogdon. It was better to keep Bamba in the corner, but Anthony pointed the other way when it was too late already. I guess we wont know who made the mistake without the game plan.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,403

Post#146 » by GelbeWand09 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:52 am

Who cares at all? We are at the end of the covid season, with no (or only few) fans. Our whole starting lineup was traded or is injured.
Our current team are to 90% placeholders for our future team. Thats the same BS saying season ending wins but losing draft position, helps the team in the long run & is great for the culture.

Almost noone on that team matters. Even the players that matter, are projected role players or bench players. Its about draft position now. Players improve in the offseason, not in games. What development this should stunt anyway? Because we play 20-30 games (the first half still with the vets & alot competitive games) of bad basketball? Its not like we play the 3rd season trying to lose every game lol

Did it hurt Durant losing 62 games as a rookie? Did it hurt even role players like Covington, Richauln Holmes, Jerami Grant & co playing on the hopeless Sixers? Anybody thinks Chuma or Wendell gonna be worse players because we play uncompetitive ball for 20 games?

This is a team team full of rookies (who had almost no training camp), g-leaquers & players on rookie contracts. What you guys expect ?

Again. Players improve in the offseason & def. schemes & off. schemes are learned in training camp.

We can play all the vets again, play more competitive, structured basketball & win 3-4 additional games & magically Chuma, RJ, Cole & WCJr are better players or more developed?
Answer is: no
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#147 » by tiderulz » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:18 pm

Skybox wrote:

maybe not true development. But some players take time adjusting to NBA speed. And i think we can all agree WCJ is doing better than expected. so yes, losses are happening but there are some bright spots.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#148 » by zaymon » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:19 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:Who cares at all? We are at the end of the covid season, with no (or only few) fans. Our whole starting lineup was traded or is injured.
Our current team are to 90% placeholders for our future team. Thats the same BS saying season ending wins but losing draft position, helps the team in the long run & is great for the culture.

Almost noone on that team matters. Even the players that matter, are projected role players or bench players. Its about draft position now. Players improve in the offseason, not in games. What development this should stunt anyway? Because we play 20-30 (the first half still with the vets & alot competetive games) of bad basketball? Its not like we play the 3rd season trying to lose everygame lol

Did it hurt Durant losing 62 games as a rookie? Did it hurt even role players like Covington, Richauln Holmes, Jerami Grant & co playing on the hopeless Sixers? Anybody thinks Chuma or Wendell gonna be worse players because we play uncompetetive ball for 20 games?

This is a team team full of rookies (who had almost no training camp), g-leaquers & players on rookie contracts. What you guys expect ?

Again. Players improve in the offseason & def. scemes & off. schemes are learned in training camp.

We can play all the vets again, play more competetive, structured basketball & win 3-4 additional games & magically Chuma, RJ, Cole & WCJr are better players or more developed?

We are not a usual 1st year tanking team. We are full of young players. Clifford cares for his players. He knows that losing means players will get cut. There is no magic in development. Building good habits at the start is the most important thing especially with such a young roster. Some if not majority of our young players are expected to be in our core. Its not even about winning. You need to play with focus and purpose to improve. In above exemple we are pointing out that our #6 pick is being directed by rookie guard on defense which is kind of embarrassing. We may not get a project of Bamba caliber with our pick this year if we fall outside top 5. You dont care about his development ?
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#149 » by basketballRob » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:52 pm

zaymon wrote:
GelbeWand09 wrote:Who cares at all? We are at the end of the covid season, with no (or only few) fans. Our whole starting lineup was traded or is injured.

Almost noone on that team matters. Even the players that matter, are projected role players or bench players. Its about draft position now. Players improve in the offseason, not in games. What development this should stunt anyway? Because we play 20-30 (the first half still with the vets & alot competetive games) of bad basketball? Its not like we play the 3rd season trying to lose everygame lol

Did it hurt Durant losing 62 games as a rookie? Did it hurt even role players like Covington, Richauln Holmes, Jerami Grant & co playing on the hopeless Sixers? Anybody thinks Chuma or Wendell gonna be worse players because we play uncompetetive ball for 20 games?

Again. Players improve in the offseason & def. scemes & off. schemes are learned in training camp.

We can play all the vets again, play more competetive, structured basketball & win 3-4 additional games & magically Chuma, RJ, Cole & WCJr are better players or more developed?

We are not a usual 1st year tanking team. We are full of young players. Clifford cares for his players. He knows that losing means players will get cut. There is no magic in development. Building good habits at the start is the most important thing especially with such a young roster. Some if not majority of our young players are expected to be in our core. Its not even about winning. You need to play with focus and purpose to improve. In above exemple we are pointing out that our #6 pick is being directed by rookie guard on defense which is kind of embarrassing. We may not get a project of Bamba caliber with our pick this year if we fall outside top 5. You dont care about his development ?
Bamba has improved. One his numbers have improved. Two he's better now at setting picks and knowing where to be. Still not perfect, but improved.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#150 » by drsd » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:55 pm

basketballRob wrote:Bamba has improved. One his numbers have improved. Two he's better now at setting picks and knowing where to be. Still not perfect, but improved.

He seems less down and more excited. Enthusiasm leading to a good Summer program, he needs to be better for next season and these late games can help him learn what he needs to get there.

Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,510

Post#151 » by Bergmaniac » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:07 pm

What happened to Cannady was really terrible and unfortunate, I hope he makes a full recovery and someday makes it back to the league. Also, I hope 10-day contract get good health insurance or Orlando helps him with the medical costs.

Anyway, watching this garbage performance on TV couldn't have been good for Clifford's health. The transition D was absolutely garbage the whole game. No structure whatsoever on offense, just selfish chucking all game. The Pacers had all of their bigs out injured and were playing a 6'7" small forward at centre but we couldn't get the ball to our centers in the post at all, plus we barely outrebounded them. The losses are nice for the lottery chances, but this kind of unorganised basketball on both ends isn't helpful for the development of the players.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#152 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:19 pm

Wait.... but i thought tanking is what people wanted to see... so that they got the picks that they wanted. So why are we complaining about the play of the players? lol... can't have one without the other.

Needless to say... Ideally... we would have placed out a competitive team that would make everything close on a nightly basis but still loses. but that's hard to do. And now that we are apparently in full tank mode... people want to complain and now our team is garbage and we have little to know value. That's the nature of the beast. Going full tank mode means... people have to look like ish some or most of the time. I'm personally not worried...Clifford will beat the discipline into this team this summer... hopefully while still attaining the players that this board covets so much.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,154

Post#153 » by Knightro » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:23 pm

FFBlitzace wrote:As trash as we are right now, the 6 turnovers has got to be close to a franchise record. I don't care enough to look it up though.

Not even the best, or second best, this season if you can believe it. Magic have had a 4 turnover and 3 turnover game in the last two months.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,510

Post#154 » by Bergmaniac » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:35 pm

It's easy to keep the turnovers down when you never the pass the ball - the Bacon mentality.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#155 » by KillMonger » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:30 pm

Thats Clifford’s offense in a nutshell, sacrifice pace for more control/less turnovers.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,501

Post#156 » by thelead » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:54 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:It's easy to keep the turnovers down when you never the pass the ball - the Bacon mentality.

Back with another one:

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,235

Post#157 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:47 pm

drsd wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Bamba has improved. One his numbers have improved. Two he's better now at setting picks and knowing where to be. Still not perfect, but improved.

He seems less down and more excited. Enthusiasm leading to a good Summer program, he needs to be better for next season and these late games can help him learn what he needs to get there.

in no capacity does Mo know where to be. Anyone who watched the Pels game and knows wtf they’re talking about can see that. He has one off season IMO.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#158 » by Bensational » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:22 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:Wait.... but i thought tanking is what people wanted to see... so that they got the picks that they wanted. So why are we complaining about the play of the players? lol... can't have one without the other.

Needless to say... Ideally... we would have placed out a competitive team that would make everything close on a nightly basis but still loses. but that's hard to do. And now that we are apparently in full tank mode... people want to complain and now our team is garbage and we have little to know value. That's the nature of the beast. Going full tank mode means... people have to look like ish some or most of the time. I'm personally not worried...Clifford will beat the discipline into this team this summer... hopefully while still attaining the players that this board covets so much.

I think you’ll find most of the complaints come from voices who were mostly opposed to tanking. Those who pushed for it understand that losing is part of that process. We’re also trying to sift through the mud to see if we have any hidden diamonds, but have to remember even if we do they’re going to look pretty bad with the supporting cast and current team makeup on the floor.
BDill012
Senior
And1: 273

Post#159 » by BDill012 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:22 pm

This is really good news. It was ugly, glad there was no fracture.

Read on Twitter
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#160 » by Xatticus » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:08 pm

BDill012 wrote:This is really good news. It was ugly, glad there was no fracture.

Read on Twitter

That’s weird. He had a dislocation that broke the skin but didn’t damage the bones or connective tissues?

It seems like good news, but I’d expect extensive rehab to strengthen the area as that shouldn’t happen.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991

Return to Orlando Magic